Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The funeral of Francis Lee

5 posters

Go down

The funeral of Francis Lee Empty The funeral of Francis Lee

Post by City 'til we're relegated Thu Oct 19, 2023 9:41 pm

On Sky news at the funeral of Francis Lee, Tony Book told the interviewer that during his time at Bath City he had to mark Francis Lee in the FA Cup against Bolton. Only a passing comment but always good to get even the briefest of mentions. It was good to see Tony Book again. I remember patting him on the back after a match at Twerton Park.

City 'til we're relegated

Beau Nash and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

The funeral of Francis Lee Empty Re: The funeral of Francis Lee

Post by comrade powell Fri Oct 20, 2023 9:17 am

I was too young to attend the Bolton match at Twerton but was told many times by friends who were that Lee would not have saved his team with the penalty if we'd not changed our square posts for new rounded ones before the match. They claimed his shot would have rebounded rather than crossing the line!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Paul1978 Sat Oct 21, 2023 1:01 am

Is there any photos from that Bolton game. Was that the 18,000 record attendance game or was Brighton. Would love too photos of 18,000 at Twerton Park. Apparently the popular side and Bristol end were even higher back then with more depth. Incredible. Imagine if TP was still that size now. We really should be football league a club our size and population. We lost the vote too Wigan I think in 1978.
Paul1978
Paul1978

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Sat Oct 21, 2023 11:05 am

Paul, if you’re not already, you should join the ‘Bath City Old Photographs’ group on Facebook. There are photos of the Bolton and Brighton games on there.

Manchester Romans

Paul1978 likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Derby Brewer Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:58 pm

I was only 11 and we had only just moved to Bath. My dad said he couldn't get tickets for it. Would it have been all ticket?! Can't believe there were 18,000 in there. I'm sure the Bristol End was just a bank of stinging nettles? Francis Lee had the nickname ” Lee wun pen” which is exactly what he did that day Lee 1 (pen) !

Derby Brewer

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Oct 24, 2023 6:39 pm

The attendance for the Bolton game was 12000+, some 6000 less than for Brighton. I believe that for the latter it was all pay at the gate but the Bolton game was all ticket which some felt was the reason why it was a smaller crowd.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down