Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Attendances from our league 60 years ago

5 posters

Go down

Attendances from our league 60 years ago Empty Attendances from our league 60 years ago

Post by comrade powell Wed Mar 22, 2023 11:43 am

Found this on the Welling website...

https://wellingunited.activeboard.com/download.spark?id=2547364&aBID=62379

The figures must have come from Nuneaton - I wonder if Ken Loach was one of those 3141 who made up their average gate.

Of course the likes of Wrexham and Notts County attract higher gates these days but this was the pinnacle of the non league game and long before the relegation of former league clubs.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Attendances from our league 60 years ago Empty Re: Attendances from our league 60 years ago

Post by City 'til we're relegated Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:39 pm

Very interesting. I see that Cambridge City attracted higher attendances than Cambridge United.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Attendances from our league 60 years ago Empty Re: Attendances from our league 60 years ago

Post by comrade powell Thu Mar 23, 2023 2:56 pm

City finished higher than United in the late 50s and early 60s. That season the two of them were rivals for the title and the game at Milton Road attracted over 11000.
That double we achieved over United in our first National season ten years ago was fantastic. Will never forget the locals belittling us when we went there only for them to be silenced by Kaid’s wonder goal.
comrade powell
comrade powell

the demon headmaster likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Mar 23, 2023 3:07 pm

comrade powell wrote:City finished higher than United in the late 50s and early 60s. That season the two of them were rivals for the title and the game at Milton Road attracted over 11000.
That double we achieved over United in our first National season ten years ago was fantastic. Will never forget the locals belittling us when we went there only for them to be silenced by Kaid’s wonder goal.

Only bettered by the 4-0 thumping we gave them in the return.

Luton Roman

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sat Mar 25, 2023 12:13 am

Memories.

Cambridge Utd were charging people 50p to enter their bar that day - I remember a disconsolate Martin supping his beer and telling us how dear it was, seeing that he paid the surcharge and only had the one pint. I suppose I didn't help his mood when I told him that, on seeing others being 'fleeced' for the 50p at a hatch just inside the building, a few of us spotted toilets immediately opposite that hatch, so we dived into them, and emerged behind their some of their own fans and nonchalantly sauntered into the bar without being challenged. Smile.

My second recollection was of a match against Cambridge City, at their place one evening, when we were warned to keep the chanting down as most of the local residents were rather old!
I also vaguely remember that match for us scoring very late on - their Welsh goalie was very friendly, and we had a good chat throughout the match, but we felt that he was easily distracted by us at that vital moment when we scored! Happy days.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Mar 25, 2023 9:40 am

[quote="Midsomer-steve"]Memories.

Cambridge Utd were charging people 50p to enter their bar that day - I remember a disconsolate Martin supping his beer and telling us how dear it was, seeing that he paid the surcharge and only had the one pint. I suppose I didn't help his mood when I told him that, on seeing others being 'fleeced' for the 50p at a hatch just inside the building, a few of us spotted toilets immediately opposite that hatch, so we dived into them, and emerged behind their some of their own fans and nonchalantly sauntered into the bar without being challenged. Smile.

My second recollection was of a match against Cambridge City, at their place one evening, when we were warned to keep the chanting down as most of the local residents were rather old!
I also vaguely remember that match for us scoring very late on - their Welsh goalie was very friendly, and we had a good chat throughout the match, but we felt that he was easily distracted by us at that vital moment when we scored! Happy days.   [/quote

Prompting the memorable chant 'Can yiu hear the old folks sing? Nooo, nooo, i cant hear a flipoing thing']

Luton Roman

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:38 pm

I had that down as a goalless draw but a great night for us 27 who attended.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down