Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Cheltenham, home, 26th July

+3
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
Luton Roman
7 posters

Go down

Cheltenham, home, 26th July Empty Cheltenham, home, 26th July

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jul 26, 2014 3:57 pm

City 1-0 at ht, Ross Stearn 38m

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Cheltenham, home, 26th July Empty Re: Cheltenham, home, 26th July

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Full tim3 1-1

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Jul 26, 2014 5:43 pm

There was a drinks break in the first half, my phone said the temperature was at 28 degrees at that point.

It was insanely hot, but I'm guessing still not on par with Torhout.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jul 26, 2014 8:11 pm

were the goal posts melting? did players about to be subbed crawl off the pitch on all 4s? was there tumbleweed blowing around on the terraces? did the ref check that his view of incidents was not a mirage? unless the answer to any of these is 'yes', you are correct to suggest that today was not on a par with torhout....
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:15 am

I've re-read your contribution to that article where you claim it was. 38 degrees so alas it didn't beat it. I'm sure it was the hottest I've been at a game at our place, though being there early to take the team photo contributed.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sun Jul 27, 2014 8:25 am

Shame we couldn't be there but we are here in India enjoying the soothing monsoon cooling winds....sounds like a promising pre season performance!

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jul 27, 2014 10:42 am

Obviously pre-season games are played in a much more friendly spirit than league games but I though we acquited ourselves well. We made Cheltenham look very ordinary which is probably what they are. They had a strong side out but it is full of new faces. If they are going to compete in league two they will have to gel rather quickly otherwise it will be a long hard season for them.

It was pretty hot and really took its toll on our players. I thought we left the changes too late and not enough of them. Would have liked to see Mitchell have a go.

The new signings look the part and the squad is well balanced.

1-1 flattered Cheltenham and even their fans would agree with that.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Jul 27, 2014 9:04 pm

This was the first friendly I have seen, and I think we did pretty well, particularly in the second half when Cheltenham upped their game. It did get a bit feisty towards the end, and I think a couple of Cheltenham players would have got yellow cards if it had been a competitive game.

A few observations. Firstly, we really need to sort out those shirt numbers - if we aren't going to have them on a white square we need to make them bigger.

On the player front, I will be interested to see how the defence lines up when Phil Walsh is available, as I thought Dan Ball played well alongside Andy Gallinagh - I would expect Sekani and Martin Slocombe to be first choice full backs.

I thought Kington and particularly Artus played well in midfield, but still not sure about Ben Adelsbury. Andy Watkins, Dave Pratt and Ross Stearn will again cause lots of problems for opposing defences, and didn't see any reason to suppose that Hemmings will force any of them out unless they get injured.    

Provided the team selection is right there is no reason why we shouldn't have a successful season.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Jul 28, 2014 8:36 am

I felt sorry for Hemmings as I presume his role is to get on the end of crosses. unfortunately there weren't any.

I think our strongest back line is Ball Gallinagh Walsh Simpson. If someone could teach Bowman what to do with the ball at the end of one of his runs he would be dynamite.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Tue Jul 29, 2014 11:43 am

Forgot to say the Cheltenham match report is now online www.mtannersports.com hope you enjoy! Also there is a write up on the Supporters Game on Twerton Park on the Sunday too!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down