Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bracknell Town thread

+9
SteveBradley
Luton Roman
the demon headmaster
stillmanjunior
2weirdtown
kermit
Roy D Hacksaw
Peter Newman
comrade powell
13 posters

Go down

Bracknell Town thread Empty Bracknell Town thread

Post by comrade powell Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:45 am

Thought I’d get this going while we’re still on the crest of a wave after last night!

Just a note to anyone thinking of travelling independently that they play in Sandhurst which is about seven miles from Bracknell. Sandhurst railway station is a fifteen minute walk from the ground although there is a bus service.

Isn’t this Hacksaw territory?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Bracknell Town thread Empty Re: Bracknell Town thread

Post by Peter Newman Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:01 am

I think the nearest station may be Blackwater but not 100% sure as it is some time since visiting MOD sites in that area.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:20 am

GoogleMaps suggests that Sandhurst station is closer than Blackwater’s.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:06 pm

It is indeed, Comrade. I've spent many a long hour on that platform waiting for trains home that never came. It's a bleak little station, too. Just a platform and a fence - and not every train stops there. Blackwater's a little further away, but slightly better appointed.

On the way to the ground there's a small High Street with a couple of chippies and a Greggs. Your best bet for pubs would be the Village Inn or the White Swan - although I've not been in either for about 30 years, so can't vouch for their quality these days. The Swan always used to feel a bit posher, mind, and is nearer the ground.

It's a shame they're not still playing at Larges Lane, though, cos that was a smashing little ground bang in the middle of town. They got offered too much by developers who wanted to build on the site to turn it down, sadly. Sandhurst was a strange place to relocate to though, because it's nearer to Camberley and Farnborough. Binfield, Ascot United or Bracknell Sports Centre would have been better shouts.

Still, it should be a fun day out somewhere we don't usually go.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:13 pm

Well if I go in the Village or White Swan I’ll mention your name to get top notch service! However it looks like the nearest (and best?) pub to the ground is the Wellington Arms.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Wed Dec 21, 2022 2:15 pm

Ooh, never went up that end of the village much, and don't recall ever going in there. But if it's near, that's a bonus!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu Dec 22, 2022 6:45 pm

As Hacksaw rightly points out, Sandhurst station is nearer than Blackwater station, but most trains stop at Blackwater whilst fewer stop at Sandhurst.
The Wellington, near the ground, serves real ale from the Marstons stable, so could be something like Pedigree, Brakspear, Ringwood etc.
If the train takes you to Blackwater, near the station is the strangely named Mr Bumble (formerly Red Lion), 19 London Road, GU17 9AP.
It's a favourite of the local CAMRA Branch and always has a good selection of real ales........
Formerly the Red Lion, this large pub on the busy A30 is also very near Blackwater railway station and bus-stops, and the local shops. The main bar now houses the impressive array of real ales, and other beverages, with a few steps leading up to the ‘Sports Bar’, with a range of lagers and still ciders, the dart-board and three pool tables. The L-shaped bar serves both areas, serving London Pride as the regular beer, and various guest beers, generally including at least one LocAle, and often a dark beer. There is an interesting "What's Next" pole to show drinkers what follows soon. A Cocktail Bar is opened for use on special party evenings. No food is served here, but customers are allowed to bring their own snacks. There’s a live ‘jam session’ on Thursday evenings, Rock bands on Saturdays, and sometimes live music on Fridays also. Several TV’s are available for sports or other events, on demand. A great community pub.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:38 pm

Could be a struggle to make it as far as the ground then!
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Dec 23, 2022 1:54 pm

Sandhurst are away that weekend so you would imagine it’ll still be a Saturday 3pm.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Fri Dec 23, 2022 8:59 pm

I note that Hartley Whitney who we struggled to put away are second bottom in the same league. Hoping for more serene progress this time, but will be there to add my voice.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Dec 23, 2022 9:04 pm

Their managers and a host of players have left since we played them. Only a handful remain. The keeper, who I thought was good, is now at Cheshunt.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jan 12, 2023 10:22 am

The ground has a 3G surface doesn't it? Which should make it immune from this weather.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu Jan 12, 2023 12:38 pm

Luton Roman wrote:The ground has a 3G surface doesn't it? Which should make it immune from this weather.

Unless it snows Very Happy
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Peter Newman Thu Jan 12, 2023 1:19 pm

Don't think there is an artificial pitch as Sandhurst's last home game was postponed for weather reasons.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:46 pm

No it's grass unfortunately. Forecast looks better for tomorrow but for Saturday morning in that area is pretty dire.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Thu Jan 12, 2023 6:12 pm

Heading to this one for my first away game of the season Cool I will of course be solely to blame for jinxing us when we register our latest embarassing cup defeat Razz

I see Bracknell offer a £2 discout for tickets bought online in-advance up to 11:45am on matchday : https://thesbgroup.ktckts.com/event/bathfat/bath-city

Is there much to see in Sandhurst ?

SteveBradley

2weirdtown and Manchester Romans like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Fri Jan 13, 2023 12:52 pm

Is anyone aware of any pitch inspection being planned, and if so, what time?
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Rodney Sat Jan 14, 2023 5:05 pm

Another early exit from thr Trophy.

Rodney

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 14, 2023 7:01 pm

Rodney wrote:Another early exit from thr Trophy.

Not sure last 32 is early, anyway tepid first half performance, much better in 2nd but couldn't create the 1 opening on goal. Always an extra pass rather than a shot. Half chance tipped on the bar was closest we came with other headers not troubling the keeper. Looked to be heading to pens with our defence repelling Bracknells attack waves, then 4th successive corner in injury time not cleared  and a shot curled into the corner and that was that.

Cody's return very encouraging and he added a new dimension upfront. Thomas not in the game and replaced by Cox at ht who was more involved. Missed Raynes down the right side with our attacks almost exclusively down the left where Greenslade was more and more influential.

Good support as ever, but as encouraging as the 2nd half and Cody's return was, its another defeat to a lower league side which must be a question mark over the mindset of the players  and tactical approach going into these games.

Luton Roman

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:34 pm

I wasn’t there but devastated by the late goal.

Recent years have seen Cup failure.

We need to respond in the League now or I think the Board must review where we are going on the pitch. That’s a personal view but as a long standing supporter the lack of success is an issue.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jan 14, 2023 8:36 pm

I think you’re being very generous there, Gerry. Luckily for us Ryan Clarke played a blinder and saved us from a far heavier defeat. After the tremendous performance in the last round against a team who thrashed Yeovil today I’m gutted that we haven’t taken advantage of yet another favourable draw. Hopefully we can quickly put today behind us and start climbing the league - otherwise it’s season over.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Sun Jan 15, 2023 11:20 am

Are you referring the the same game as the one Mr Gill was interviewed about yesterday . According to Jerry Gill our keeper had very little to do and he seemed fairly content with the overall performance.
Now,  who do I take seriously and from past experience on these matters  believe as far as openness goes
Sick to death with his comments and refusal to concede that he has lost it and has no MAN management skills.
Well you know I wouldn't talk about you in this way Martin

Last edited by SASCHA on Sun Jan 15, 2023 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total

SASCHA

Rodney likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Jan 15, 2023 3:20 pm

SASCHA wrote:Are you referring the the same game as the one Mr Gill was interviewed about yesterday . According to Jerry Gill our keeper had very little to do and he seemed fairly content with the overall performance.
Now,  who do I take seriously and from past experience on these matters  believe as far as openness goes
Sick to death with his comments and refusal to concede that he has lost it and has no management skills.
Well you know I wouldn't talk about you in this way Martin

I thought it was an honest assessment of the game that I saw, poor 1st half, better 2nd, didnt do enough to win it, they capitalized on a mistake, Clarke pulled off decent saves. What else did you see?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Mon Jan 16, 2023 10:53 am

I am shocked that, yet again, we are knocked out of a cup competition by a team from a lower league. Our only hope now is to reach the play-offs. Oh, I suppose there is the county cup.

We might have to reassess our ambitions as:-

Cups - win one or two games.
League - avoid relegation.

City 'til we're relegated

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down