Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City 3 Braintree 1

+5
Micawber
LB
stillmanjunior
BenE
Luton Roman
9 posters

Go down

City 3 Braintree 1 Empty City 3 Braintree 1

Post by Luton Roman Sat Aug 20, 2022 8:27 pm

A game of 2 halves as City swept away Braintree in a blistering 60 second half seconds to cap a much better 2nd 45 mins with Cody's pen the icing on the cake.
Braintrees 1st half goal allowed them to slow the game and we passed it around without much penetration. Wasted set pieces and blocked crosses were routine but there was enough to suggest the 2nd half would offer more. And it did. Increased tempo, better close control and a corner headed in by Fletch for a deserved equaliser. Within moments a glorious lob from Cody put Twerton on fire. Braintree  offered little in response though City's defence had to be alert and indeed perhaps an area that might still need some work given the early fragility in the game.
Nevertheless another resilient performance from a team that boosts confidence with all forwards now off the mark. Roll on Farnborough.

Luton Roman

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

City 3 Braintree 1 Empty Re: City 3 Braintree 1

Post by BenE Sat Aug 20, 2022 10:58 pm

That is a pretty good summary and I agree with your conclusions. We finally realised that Cooke was winning everything in the air and this enabled us to get in amongst them in meaningful areas rather than playing in front of them. Braintree played a very similar game to us and I think this showed that overall we have the better players.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Aug 21, 2022 1:27 pm

I thought it was a good game (irritated that NLP downgraded my rating from four stars to three!) and it’s always a pleasure to see timewasting tactics not work.

Seven points recovered from losing positions against three tricky sides is excellent.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

daven likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Aug 22, 2022 2:33 pm

Be careful what you say about the first half!

I posted a comment on the club's Facebook saying "great second half from City after disappointing first - great chip over keeper from Cody". This clearly upset our esteemed manager who took me to task (not for the first time!) because he clearly took it as criticism when I think it was a fair observation - his response was that our general play in the first half was superb, and a few other comments such as I shouldn't expect us to score early goals every game.

It was of course foolish for me not to heap fulsome praise for a half in which we conceded a poor goal and found it hard to break down a well organised opposition. I will try not to be disappointed the next time we are behind in a game.

LB

Beau Nash, Midsomer-steve, Luton Roman, PHILB1973# and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Mon Aug 22, 2022 3:22 pm

I wish our manager wouldn't respond to comments on social media. He is in a no win situation as he will always offend some people whatever he says.

Micawber

Luton Roman likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:02 pm

Everyone I spoke to at half time said that the first half was dull so it wasn't just you LB. This was mainly because Braintree did as much as they could to slow the game down and we were dragged into it. It was hilarious how different they were after we scored.
But we've all seen plenty of games where we have been unable to break the shackles of a spoiling team.
BenE
BenE

Beau Nash and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Mon Aug 22, 2022 6:23 pm

Jerry's always had this chip on his shoulder if you don't ever see things from his point of view. Not long before lockdown we had a fantastic mid week win at Maidstone in which I took 2 days off work to see the game and spent the night in Maidstone. In the 2nd half we came under immense pressure but we held out and I said what a fantastic backs to the wall performance it was and he had a pop at me and quite arrogantly asked what I was talking about, when was our backs to the wall, even though in the interview after the game when it was stated that we were under enormous pressure for large periods in the game he totally agreed with that but because I worded it slightly differently I guess he didn't like that. He should learn to just take the win sometimes.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Tue Aug 23, 2022 8:10 am

I always try to be objective where and when ever I comment.

As a manager there are many psychological positions that have to be taken to try and keep an optimistic attitude in the players; this "position" may not always be 100% factually correct BUT is so important.

So far this season the clubs look very close in ability. If City had got at least a point against Dartford I would say an excellent start. Positive results from the next two games, at least 4 points, will cement City’s standing in the promotion push.

Too early this season to draw firm conclusions but overcoming adversities shows a high level of management skills and players resilience. I don't always agree with Jerry's opinions but understand why he has them; he has always had my overall support.

A thought about future attendances – the cost of living crisis will probably hit many of us very hard so discretionary spending could dry up, resulting in people having to cut back. Hopefully the off field management will be considering this...
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue Aug 23, 2022 9:10 am

I said we started slowly on social media. We were too lax in first 20.

We overcame that and won brilliantly.

As fans/people who pay to view we can say what we think. It’s not negative to observe weakness - otherwise how can we improve.

It was a wonderful win and we dominated once we went 1 down.

It doesn’t help when the manager rounds on people. I was once taken to task for a comment too.

Promising start to the season.

pete mac

comrade powell, Beau Nash and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Tue Aug 23, 2022 1:01 pm

It's supposed to be a community club based on openness and honesty but the manager thinks no one is entitled to an opinion unless it's the same as his. Hence (in my opinion) the 'disruptive' players the club has had to pay off.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Aug 24, 2022 6:44 pm

SteveS - You are entitled to ask the question and I would defend your right to do so; but where does the assumption about what "the manager thinks" come from?

Has there been any authoritative explanation about why the players were sacked?  Do I remember correctly that somewhere, someone said there would be?
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Aug 24, 2022 8:46 pm

I would have thought it was highly unlikely that anything would ever be said about why players leave. It should rightly remain a private matter.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Thu Aug 25, 2022 3:49 am

BenE wrote:I would have thought it was highly unlikely that anything would ever be said about why players leave. It should rightly remain a private matter.

Disagree. Jerry and the club asked us for donations to start the season and the extra we raised went to the playing budget so even a brief explanation was required but obviously that won't happen now.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

2weirdtown likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Aug 25, 2022 10:53 am

PHILB1973# wrote:
BenE wrote:I would have thought it was highly unlikely that anything would ever be said about why players leave. It should rightly remain a private matter.

Disagree. Jerry and the club asked us for donations to start the season and the extra we raised went to the playing budget so even a brief explanation was required but obviously that won't happen now.

I think our contributions/sponsorship/fund raising are all unconditional. We place our trust in those with greater experience in football and financial matters and let them get on with it. Mistakes happen and lessons are learned. Doesn't mean I'm happy with what happened or the payouts, but nor would I expect the club to wash its dirty laundry in public so that some can get schadenfreude out of it.

Luton Roman

Dave likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Thu Aug 25, 2022 11:46 am

Although I honestly do agree with you that putting out anything too confidential or private would be wrong I still think that the 1 sentence statement put out by the board, especially given all the twitter comments Gearing made which a lot of us read, was insufficient.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Aug 25, 2022 5:25 pm

Micawber wrote:I wish our manager wouldn't respond to comments on social media. He is in a no win situation as he will always offend some people whatever he says.

What he said didn't offend me (although the opposite was clearly the case!), but I was a bit surprised when a message popped up on my phone that he had mentioned me in a comment as I didn't think I had said anything contentious.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Aug 27, 2022 9:45 am

PHILB1973# wrote:given all the twitter comments Gearing made which a lot of us read, was insufficient.
Gearing is obviously a better name for someone who winds people up
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:43 pm

This is a very popular thread on the Chippenham forum.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Wed Aug 31, 2022 6:58 pm

Some of their comments........

Knowing a few people in the know that have been under Jerry’s stewardship - he is one of the most insecure and volatile managers around.

Makes it all about him and is widely disliked but a lot of past and present players. However, if you’re local then that’s where the money is so survives. Very good in the boardroom but the first year he’s not been given a new two year deal. Its only a matter of time before his man management skills strike after a defeat or two and then the usual will happen.

PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Aug 31, 2022 7:22 pm

PHILB1973# wrote:Some of their comments........

Knowing a few people in the know that have been under Jerry’s stewardship - he is one of the most insecure and volatile managers around.

Makes it all about him and is widely disliked but a lot of past and present players. However, if you’re local then that’s where the money is so survives. Very good in the boardroom but the first year he’s not been given a new two year deal. Its only a matter of time before his man management skills strike after a defeat or two and then the usual will happen.

Read and ignored, they need to focus more on their own club as one of them says. A few are obsessed with us !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down