Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Eastbourne 3 Bath City 4

+7
stillmanjunior
comrade powell
Kevin Anderson
Micawber
2weirdtown
Luton Roman
BenE
11 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Eastbourne 3 Bath City 4 Empty Eastbourne 3 Bath City 4

Post by BenE Sat Aug 13, 2022 7:39 pm

Listened to the radio commentary and I can't remember the last time the commentary team were so animated. As they said last season we would have contrived to lose but this there seems to be a deal more grit about us.
Terrific result.
BenE
BenE

comrade powell, Beau Nash, 2weirdtown and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Eastbourne 3 Bath City 4 Empty Re: Eastbourne 3 Bath City 4

Post by Luton Roman Sun Aug 14, 2022 10:34 am

Great comeback, hope a forumite was there to give us some insight into the 2nd half transformation.

Luton Roman

Beau Nash and Midsomer-chris like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Aug 14, 2022 11:08 am

Let's hope they're not knackered for Tuesday's match. With the Chipnum abandonment in mind there must have been a case for postponing yesterday's fixtures.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Sun Aug 14, 2022 12:01 pm

There didn't seem to be much appetite for watching yesterday's games in the intense heat. Don't think there was a single attendance of over 1000 in NLS and most clubs well below their average. It wasn't long ago that many people were advocating playing more summer football and having an extended winter break. It seems we did well to get as many as we did to watch our opening match.

Micawber

comrade powell, Beau Nash and 2weirdtown like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Kevin Anderson Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:12 am

You know me well enough to make allowances for a teeny bit of Eastbourne bias. It was a cracking game and credit to City for always believing they could haul it back from 1-3. Really well done to your boys. I thought JG got the strategy right and as always you finished stronger. We are putting in to the League for a rule change and have all EB-BC matches finish on 85 minutes...(Oh and my thanks to young Mr Stillman for helping me out with the NLP when I was doing three jobs at once...) Best wishes and see you in the depths of January!

A marvellous match, but the wrong result. Bath City overturned a two-goal deficit to stun the home side, and the home crowd, with a winning goal from skipper Kieran Parselle deep into stoppage time.

Early goals, own goals, penalties, and a ludicrously late decider in the 96th minute: this was a remarkable contest at the newly named SO Legal Stadium, swaying back and forth in sub-Saharan conditions.

The Sports drew first blood on seven minutes, when the impressive Chris Whelpdale headed goalwards from a corner, and frantic attempts to clear saw the ball rebound off Luke Spokes into the net. Whelps the scorer, or an own goal? One for the Dubious Goals Committee….

But within a minute, the men in red had returned the compliment, Alex Wynter diverting a low cross past his own keeper, after the powerfully impressive Cody Cooke had forged the opening.

The Sports grew stronger and James Hammond restored the lead from the penalty spot after Wynter was fouled at a corner. Then Whelpdale notched the goal of the game after a magnificent Hammond crossfield pass, finding Leone Gravata wide on the left, and from Leone’s centre Whelps skimmed his header past the keeper.

Turning round at 3-1, Borough should have been in control – but it never felt like that sort of game. Jordan Dyer pulled one back on 52 minutes, finishing off a recycled free-kick at the back post. And ten minutes later Joe Raynes took an all too easy tumble under Leone Gravata’s rash challenge, and Cooke drilled in the penalty.

With both minutes and energy draining away, there were near misses – or depending on your loyalties, narrow escapes at both ends. In fairness to City, the closest to a decider had come at the River End, where Alex Fletcher found himself with only Worgs to beat – and didn’t. We were just ticking into the sixth of the five allotted added minutes. A final Romans attack - cleared but only into touch by the right corner flag. And from the long throw, skipper Parselle whacked home the winner. It was the first time City had been ahead – but it was enough.

Kevin Anderson

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:02 am

Great stuff, Kevin, and many thanks for posting. Sounded like a very exciting match and such a pity so few of us were able to witness it. Hope to catch up when you come to Twerton but good luck to The Sports in the meantime.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Kevin Anderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:19 am

Hi Kevin - thanks for the BCR interview and hope you have a bit more support for future games in the media bit! I can imagine it was rather stressful. Throat is still sore so from a selfish point of view I could do with a nice easy 1-0 win tomorrow.

I haven’t watched the highlights yet but we did feel like there was going to be a late twist. One of the more remarkable games I’ve commentated on and now glad I binned off a stag do to witness it.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Kevin Anderson likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by kingswood charlie Mon Aug 15, 2022 2:00 pm

Having just watched the highlights of Saturdays incredible 4-3 away win I ask the question of why City did not play in Black and White Stripes?  That is their strip. Why was there a need to change it?
kingswood charlie
kingswood charlie

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:10 pm

In the past when we’ve had two games in four days we’ve tended to wear different kits if we can. I guess with Eastbourne having white sleeves we saw this as a time to parade the new one. Tenuous I know but just guessing. Certain we will be in black and white tomorrow.

The new away kit is lovely too, nice it got off to a good start.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Aug 15, 2022 3:44 pm

The highlights mention Eastbourne being City's longest trip.  Surely that will be Dover?  A quick check gives Dover as 191 and Eastbourne as 175.  Perhaps it just takes longer to Eastbourne?
I know that if you ask someone nowadays how far away somewhere is, they will reply by stating how long they think (hope) it would take them to drive there.
(Not much to do today)
😑
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:10 pm

Excellent report Kevin. Interesting comment about Joe Raynes going down in the box. He very rarely gets into the box, even his shots are generally from outside. But he has got very quick feet, so is likely to draw fouls, especially from non defenders like Gravata.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Aug 15, 2022 6:41 pm

2weirdtown wrote:The highlights mention Eastbourne being City's longest trip.  Surely that will be Dover?  A quick check gives Dover as 191 and Eastbourne as 175.  Perhaps it just takes longer to Eastbourne?
I know that if you ask someone nowadays how far away somewhere is, they will reply by stating how long they think (hope) it would take them to drive there.
(Not much to do today)
😑

It is Dover, think Michael hadn't updated his notes. I told him after rather than on air. Rich of me highlighting an error considering the mess I made of the winning goal commentary by pointing out an irrelevant stat at such a time.

Feel like a lot of this thread is taking away the nature of the win when we should still be buzzing. It was extraordinary, latest winning goal since Banbury in 2006 when we were also two goals behind. It is a real adrenaline rush to win in such a way and amazing character.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:08 pm

Watched the highlights earlier and it was surprising the score wasn't more as both sides had chances right to the end! City probably just about deserved it in the end for the character they showed if nothing else - the first goal after half time was always going to be crucial.

Impossible to see whether the whole of the ball was over the line for the first goal, but the assistant seemed certain that it was. Shame he hadn't been so eagle eyed when Cody was pushed over in the box in the second half - didn't seem a lot different to the incident when they were given theirs.

Thought Hayfield looked strong going forward again, as did Scott Wilson when he came on - as others have said it is great to have players on the bench who can come on and make a difference rather than just making up the numbers.

Hopefully we can take the second half performance into tomorrow at Hampton. Seems a bit unfair that we have another away trip after Saturday's trek, especially as bizarrely Weymouth will be at home for the third game in a row (not that it has done them much good so far!). If we could come back with a point I don't think we would be too disappointed with 4 from these first 3 games.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Aug 15, 2022 8:59 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:...Feel like a lot of this thread is taking away the nature of the win when we should still be buzzing. It was extraordinary, latest winning goal since Banbury in 2006 when we were also two goals behind. It is a real adrenaline rush to win in such a way and amazing character.

I was at Banbury that day, sat next to Alan Pridham. Half time 2-0 down. We jumped up and down and hugged each other after Scott Partridge hat-trick to secure the 3-2 win. bounce For anyone at Eastbourne, I know the feeling. cheers
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Aug 15, 2022 9:04 pm

Weymouth's three home games are because Tonbridge swapped the fixture with their pitch not being ready. So Tonbridge have picked up four points on the road and Weymouth zero on their own patch. With Worthing visiting tomorrow that will be tough to end the bad start.

Dan Hayfield was given away team MOTM by the Eastbourne announcer, an initiative I've not come across before but a very nice one. And not a bad choice either, I've been impressed with him first two games.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:30 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:In the past when we’ve had two games in four days we’ve tended to wear different kits if we can. I guess with Eastbourne having white sleeves we saw this as a time to parade the new one. Tenuous I know but just guessing. Certain we will be in black and white tomorrow.

The new away kit is lovely too, nice it got off to a good start.
It was mentioned on Saturday that the intention is to wear the away kit at all away games unless the home team play in blue.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:32 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:Weymouth's three home games are because Tonbridge swapped the fixture with their pitch not being ready. So Tonbridge have picked up four points on the road and Weymoutherview zero on their own patch. With Worthing visiting tomorrow that will be tough to end the bad start.

Dan Hayfield was given away team MOTM by the Eastbourne announcer, an initiative I've not come across before but a very nice one. And not a bad choice either, I've been impressed with him first two games.
Dan came over very well in the post match interview in the bar afterwards.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Aug 15, 2022 10:39 pm

I’m with Kingswood Charlie on this and I hope what you heard on Saturday, Kermy, is not the case.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Aug 16, 2022 1:27 pm

comrade powell wrote:I’m with Kingswood Charlie on this and I hope what you heard on Saturday, Kermy, is not the case.

I get the principle that City should play in black and white unless we cannot, but if we are marketing and selling an away strip to increase awareness and revenue, then only to use it very occasionally doesn't make sense. Think only a handful of other league teams play in a potential colour clash. Plus this years shirt looks pretty good.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Aug 16, 2022 2:18 pm

I think it is a good point Stillman makes about the need to wash the kit between games. Presumably this is a contributory reason for changing for away games.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Aug 16, 2022 3:49 pm

I agree with the revenue argument if the shirt sells well but how does a design, which will presumably be replaced next summer, raise awareness?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Aug 16, 2022 5:57 pm

comrade powell wrote:I agree with the revenue argument if the shirt sells well but how does a design, which will presumably be replaced next summer, raise awareness?

Team wears it more often so more people associate team with it so more buy the shirt, wear it on non match days, more advertising for the club, more support, etc. And why replace it if it becomes popular?

Images of home and way shirts now in the on line shop, but surely they could be displayed in a better way (like the t shirts and hoodies) rather than hanging in a slovenly fashion ??

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Aug 16, 2022 8:48 pm

Why replace it, indeed, if it becomes popular? But that is the trend at all clubs I believe.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Aug 17, 2022 1:22 pm

You are showing your age here. Young people don't want to be wearing dated clothing. They want to be in this year's colours. So clubs are forced to change their shirts regularly. (And they get to sell more merchandise so it is win win).
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Aug 17, 2022 2:19 pm

As I said above I quite understand the financial reasons, Ben, and if it brings in shedloads of cash for the Club all well and good. Will be interesting to see how many of the away shirts are being sported at matches.
Where I am showing my age is that I believe when possible we should be wearing black and white stripes.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next