Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City (1)1 Tonbridge Angels (0)0

+6
tovid
pete mac
stillmanjunior
Ashley
Luton Roman
Kelston Koppite
10 posters

Go down

Bath City (1)1  Tonbridge Angels (0)0 Empty Bath City (1)1 Tonbridge Angels (0)0

Post by Kelston Koppite Sat Apr 30, 2022 7:14 pm

Bath City added three points to their tally for the season with a slender one goal victory over Tonbridge Angels. Whilst the sun shone brightly on Twerton Park, the action was somewhat drab in comparison with the distinct hint of an ‘end of season’ air. Indeed, Alex Fletcher’s well taken goal in the early stages proved to be the overwhelming highlight of the afternoon.

The opening minutes were played out in the midfield area, but the match burst into life in the 7th minute when Tom Smith’s clever through ball put Fletcher clear through on goal. The striker advanced into the area and expertly slotted his shot into the far corner of the net beyond the advancing goalkeeper, Jonathan Henley.

Angels responded positively to this setback and began to enjoy the balance of possession, although they were unable to pose a serious threat to the City backline. James Taylor tried his luck from long range on 14 minutes, but Ryan Clarke was able to gather comfortably in the home goal.

The hosts pushed forward when allowed, and Smith’s inviting ball into the ball from the left just eluded Cody Cooke and Fletcher at the far post. Smith was again the architect in the 27th minute when his pass inside the full back released Fletcher, but his angled effort was saved by Henley at the near post.

Tonbridge continued to dominate in midfield thereafter, but the home rearguard stood firm. There was a slight scare on 42 minutes when a short back pass gave Ricky Modeste a sniff of a chance, but Clarke came out quickly and Modeste was eventually penalised for a foul on the gloveman, who required treatment for the consequent leg injury.

The final action of the half saw Joe Turner attempt a hooked shot at goal, but the ball looped tamely into Clarke’s arms.

The second period began largely in midfield deadlock and Ben Seymour replaced Dave Sims-Burgess on 57 minutes. Within a minute Cooke fired a powerful shot at goal that Henley could only parry, but the goalkeeper did extremely well to recovery in sufficient time to smother the forward’s follow up effort.

Tonbridge’s came close to scoring in the 64th minute when Turner’s raking low shot through a crowded area drew a fine diving save from Clarke, but they missed their best opening nine minutes later. A cross from the right by Taylor found unmarked substitute Ibraham Olutade who contrived to head wide from 6 yards out. Jake Embery’s extravagant overhead kick drifted high over Clarke’s crossbar shortly afterwards.

City responded with a break down the left flank in the 78th minute concluding with a cross from Zak Delaney that was nodded goalwards by Seymour, alas flying straight into the arms of Henley.

As full time approached, Tom Beere fizzed in a drive from 25 yards, but it was wide of Clarke’s far post. However, Bath came desperately close to making the game save in stoppage time. Elliott Frear broke clear down the left, cut inside, and then fired narrowly wide of the target. There was still time for Beere to have another shot at goal but, once again, he missed the target.

It would take a great deal of imagination to call this a classic, but this victory continued City’s recent impressive run of results. Another win against Oxford City next Saturday would see a relatively comfortable lower mid-table finish and any threat of relegation would then seem a reasonably distant worry.

Bath City: Ryan Clarke, Joe Raynes, Jack Batten (Eddie Jones 90+3), Dan Ball, Zak Delaney, Omar Holness, Tom Smith, Elliott Frear, Alex Fletcher, Cody Cooke, Dave Sims-Burgess (Ben Seymour 57). Subs not used: Will Fuller, Tom Richards, Ryan Jones.

Tonbridge Angels: Jonathan Henley, James Taylor, Craig Braham-Barrett, Tom Beere, Sonny Miles, Tom Parkinson, Ricky Modeste, Doug Loft, Adam Coombes, Aaron Smith-Joseph, Joe Turner. Subs: Ibraham Olutade, Tommy Wood, Jake Embery, Luca Woodhouse, Tom Green.

Referee: Mr. Craig Scrivens.

Attendance: 1,081
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Bath City (1)1  Tonbridge Angels (0)0 Empty Re: Bath City (1)1 Tonbridge Angels (0)0

Post by Luton Roman Sat Apr 30, 2022 9:04 pm

You did well to craft any sort of report on that KK. Yr 1st para was more than adequate.

Thoughts turn to the summer reset and any signals. Eddie Jones on the bench again would indicate he is on his way, along with Fuller and Richards. Others under scrutiny toiled without shining, looking at you Omar, Tom (MoM? Really?) and DSB.

On a personal note my 2nd win in 15 games the other being...Tonbridge, away. Roll on 22/23.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Bath City (1)1  Tonbridge Angels (0)0 Empty Re: Bath City (1)1 Tonbridge Angels (0)0

Post by Ashley Sat Apr 30, 2022 10:26 pm

Tom said he wants to stay in the MOTM interview after the game so hopefully he’ll be back next year. The starting 11 today is on paper a decent side, I know we’re going to lose Delaney but would imagine the others will be offered new deals.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:10 pm

Ashley wrote:Tom said he wants to stay in the MOTM interview after the game so hopefully he’ll be back next year. The starting 11 today is on paper a decent side, I know we’re going to lose Delaney but would imagine the others will be offered new deals.

I do hope you're wrong Ashley, we need to recruit and refresh more significantly particularly midfield.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Apr 30, 2022 11:43 pm

I thought Smith was a credible choice for MOTM.

One interesting thing for me is Jordan Dyer was at the Hungerford game and I saw him there today. I'd happily have him back on board even if it's 'only' a season loan. With Exeter going up I don't know if it alters things in any way. Callum Wood is another I'd gladly take back but I'll be amazed if he doesn't go on loan to a National League side at worst.

Personally I'm glad I don't have to make such decisions. I've interviewed all of our current crop, some on plenty of occasions, and they're nice people. To tell some of them their services are no longer required wouldn't be much fun.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun May 01, 2022 8:27 am

We have had a poor season. It will be tough again next year. I think Jerry knows this squad isn’t good enough. No room for sentiment or we’ll be in the bottom 4.

Not sure about Delaney. He has had to play more defensively in the last 10 games and hasn’t looked so good as earlier in the season. He might be available. Dyer must be a possible.

We need an anchor midfielder. Another centre back or 2 a must.

Agree with Gerry on Omar and Jones.

Will Ryan Clarke really do another season?

pete mac

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun May 01, 2022 9:22 am

And DSB not convincing me. Had a glorious opportunity to hit one yesterday and drifted across a pass like it was a training game.

Harsh but it’s that point in the season where decisions have to be made.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun May 01, 2022 11:14 am

Someone made the comment to me that DSB looks like there is a good player in there if we can find it. I think he has not coped mentally with the transition to the higher league but he is a good player.
I thought TS was also credible as MOM, he played some delightful passes it was just a day when the rest of the team were not on the same wavelength.
But there are positions that need strengthening if we are not to spend next season flirting with relegation. But what we are starting with is a better team spirit than was evidenced earlier in the season.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sun May 01, 2022 12:14 pm

Aside from the goal, the only other great moment was when Elliot Frear confused the Tonbridge player so much that he rolled over in their penalty area

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by threeday week Sun May 01, 2022 2:30 pm

Today's game showed just how big a job is needed close season a poor game between two poor sides who in a "proper" season one or both probably would have been relegated. A big rethink as everyone knows we need stronger more physical players, will it happen? I don't know but if it doesn't a repeat of this season is the most likely scenario

threeday week

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Sun May 01, 2022 3:10 pm

One positive from yesterday was the size of the crowd. Despite a poor season fizzling out as the threat of relegation is avoided (though not by much), over 1,000 souls still turned up for this dead rubber game. 1,000+ is now pretty much the standard turnout for our matches, which is absolutely teremendous when you consider we were at the 450 or so average 6 or 7 years ago. And to think the '1,000BC' initiative seemed bullish when it was first created.

Huge credit to everyone at the club who's been working hard on the attendances front. And proof that whilst success on the pitch obviously helps, it's not the only way to build a support base.

SteveBradley

comrade powell, Beau Nash, 2weirdtown and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun May 01, 2022 3:35 pm

threeday week wrote:Today's game showed just how big a job is needed close season a poor game between two poor sides who in a "proper" season one or both probably would have been relegated. A big rethink as everyone knows we need stronger more physical players, will it happen? I don't know but if it doesn't a repeat of this season is the most likely scenario

Good point about physicality, an issue with our team for a while. A Chelmsford fan at Maidstone yesterday posted observations about the champions strengths:

1) They were physically (not so much technically) stronger in every single outfield position. Whether it be in stature or aggression.

2) They kept it simple. There was no "playing out from the back" or "building through the thirds" . Defensively it was all very basic but very well executed.

3) Going forward they were as basic as they were defensively; very simple but very efficient. Any chance to sling the ball into the box was seized upon and in midfield their general strength (physically) was enough to win the ball and play it out wide to the wingers.

4) Maidstone didn't have any kids playing. It was quite literally men against boys.[/i]

Luton Roman

Beau Nash and threeday week like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun May 01, 2022 6:12 pm

I think yesterday again highlighted what we have known all season, that we need a 'Frankie' type in midfield - neither Tom nor Omar fits that role, and Tonbridge had a lot of possession because of it. I am sure our defensive record would have been better for it as well. The 'physicality' has been an issue for a number of season, but recruitment has consistently failed to address it.

Will be interesting to see who we do offer contracts to for next season - at their best you can make an argument for keeping most but too few have shown consistency which is probably why we are where we are. I doubt if there will be a great clearout, as we could potentially be looking at up to ten new players if there is.

LB

Beau Nash, 2weirdtown and Luton Roman like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down