Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Post match interview?

+5
Beau Nash
Dave
2weirdtown
Luton Roman
stowford press
9 posters

Go down

Post match interview? Empty Post match interview?

Post by stowford press Sat Nov 28, 2020 9:34 pm

Can anyone confirm if Jerry Gill gave an interview after the game on Tuesday night?

I know it was a bad result but when things are tough we as fans surely are owed some sort of explanation?

stowford press

Back to top Go down

Post match interview? Empty Re: Post match interview?

Post by Luton Roman Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:06 pm

As a fan I'd rather JG concentrated on fixing it than be expected to give what would be a difficult interview.

Luton Roman

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Nov 28, 2020 10:16 pm

Too right
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by stowford press Sun Nov 29, 2020 7:44 am

@Luton Roman if that the case then in my opinion I think he’s a coward. By not coming out and saying anything after the game it makes this negative situation worse.

I know Jerry is working hard to fix the situation and I really hope he does. But as punters being asked to stump up the cash to support the club we are at least owed a view on where it went wrong and how hard he and the players will be working to put it right. I don’t think that’s unreasonable for me to ask.

stowford press

Bridgeyate likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Nov 29, 2020 11:06 am

It's not in Jerry's contract with the Club or the League that he's obligated to come straight out and give an interview after matches. There hasn't been a single time he's refused to. I can't say that about our previous managers.

I'd been at work all day, lugging all the camera gear with me at 7am, headed straight to Twerts with it, had had nothing to eat since breakfast and was tired and cold, and needed to get home and upload the match footage before the Conference Gestapo come knocking. Jerry had the squad sat in the changing room for a good while after the game, for obvious reasons. We waited for a little while but I couldn't be arsed for long and went home, so no interview filmed. That's all.

Dave

Beau Nash and pete mac like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stowford press Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:24 pm

Dave sorry you had a crap day but a simple no would have sufficed.

Contract or not, the next time we will hear from Jerry is possibly after the next game!?

I am glad to hear that they stayed in the changing room after that performance. I pray some home truths were aired as that was not a Bath City performance.

stowford press

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Nov 29, 2020 12:39 pm

I have sat through the 2 hours 9 minutes so ty Dave for all the hard work.

My main observation of the game is that City lose possession almost every time they pass it in the opposition half.

Where are the triangles of players when "A" passes to the feet of "B" and "C" is moving into space to receive a flick from "B"?

Where were the balls into channels for the likes of Wilson and Conway to get on the end of?  When City are in possession there is a lack of movement away from opposition defenders and therefore nowhere to make a penetrative forward pass into any space that would be created.

Defensively there was too much space, especially in the penalty area, for the opposition to run into.

City were ok for the first c.30 minutes.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Nov 29, 2020 1:51 pm

stowford press wrote:Dave sorry you had a crap day but a simple no would have sufficed.

Contract or not, the next time we will hear from Jerry is possibly after the next game!?

I am glad to hear that they stayed in the changing room after that performance. I pray some home truths were aired as that was not a Bath City performance.

A no would have sufficed if the post was "was an interview recorded on Tuesday?". Crap days are par for the course at the moment, not complaining just explaining.
But the attacks on the manager's personal character (not just on here, apologies if I've come across as singling you out) are getting tiring, especially in regards to interviews. I've no doubt at all if me and Mark had hung around for longer he'd have come and found us, as he does all the time, even after the 0-7 at Wealdstone etc. If it was a Saturday and not a Tuesday night there would have been an interview. If the Chronicle still gave an ounce of a toss about us there'd have probably been something from them too. The criticism of the team's performances/results are obviously warranted at the moment, accusations of or alluding to cowardice aren't warranted, imho. UTC

Dave

comrade powell and Beau Nash like this post

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Nov 29, 2020 3:22 pm

Jerry and Jim absolutely right to stay quiet post match and spend time with the team.

Appreciate all the work you do Dave. People have come to just expect stuff and forget we are a volunteer based Club.

pete mac

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:02 pm

Just to reiterate I've been doing these interviews for nearly five years and that's the first time, including friendlies, that no-one has come forward for one afterwards. Occasionally I have to chase and I certainly wasn't going to knock on the changing room door because they had more important things to discuss than me traipsing in and distracting them further. We're looking at around 250 games* where someone has spoken afterwards to me, Henry or someone at BCIR and I think they've all been shared in some capacity barring technical glitches. I can't speak on behalf of every club but I'm sure there are many which don't complete interviews after. Dulwich are one I think - when we played them away last season I was asked by my course if I could get a few words from Gavin Rose afterwards for a paper there. He found out I was from Bath and wouldn't speak to me, sent one of his assistants out to tell me he wouldn't do it, so they missed out on a preview for their cup game as well v Carlisle.

We started the pre-match interviews for BCIR just over two years ago and Jerry has put himself forward for every one, the only times we haven't done it have been my fault because of timings or lack of access. We get a hell of a lot of insight.

If we had done an interview on Tuesday it doesn't matter what would have been said - a large percentage of replies would have used it as another way to stick the knife in. Every comment would have been scrutinised. That and I fear at the heat of the moment he might have got into trouble with comments about the referee with the first goal.

To keep people up to date with Chron coverage, I emailed their online editor a month or so back and didn't receive a reply. They then posted a story about one of our players having Covid which I had no knowledge about, it was obviously compiled quickly to get clicks. We get two pages in the print edition every week which is largely Jerry's quotes after games and a match report, the other week with no game we ran a piece on that Cardiff match. For a club at our level I think that's impressive but I must admit I'm frustrated they won't use any articles online, makes the Bath City section on the site look like we can't be bothered to update it rather than them in my view.

* That's an estimate like the Swindon trialists thing before someone shoots me down with the exact figure.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stowford press Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:45 pm

Stillmanjunior please don't think my comments are a reflection of or a lashing out on the great work you and Dave and all the team at BCIR do and how much it is appreciated by us all. I suppose you spoil us with the coverage you do supply and that we are so let down by our local paper (rag),

I am however disappointed we sit bottom of the league and after such a disappointing and abject performance on Tuesday night there has been nothing from the management team or even the club. I reiterate I'm not calling for Jerrys head as I want him to stay and be successful! I hope they turn things around and with a very very difficult December ahead I am glad we are allowed back in and do our part!!

stowford press

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Nov 29, 2020 5:53 pm

I see that the online edition carried reports of matches last season. Any idea, Junior, for this change in policy?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:09 pm

In view of the explanations given by Dave and Mark, stowford press's use of the word 'coward' was probably a bit unfortunate. I think Jerry's post match interviews are always very honest even when we have played badly and I am sure if he had done one on Tuesday this would have been the case as well. Have to agree with others though that his time was probably better spent with the team on this occasion.

It is a bit frustrating though that over a week has elapsed since the Dulwich game and no comment has been made about it or the fact that we are sitting bottom of the league - an assessment after the dust had settled would probably have been better than in the immediate aftermath. The website does have a preview of the Dorking game, but it is more about them than us. I suppose I miss the old days of the Chronicle giving regular updates - I don't see the print edition these days, and Bath Live/Somerset Live is worse than useless.

Last edited by LB on Wed Dec 02, 2020 12:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Nov 29, 2020 6:23 pm

comrade powell wrote:I see that the online edition carried reports of matches last season. Any idea, Junior, for this change in policy?

The reports were still quite infrequent I believe. Henry was employed by them so I would assume he had the login to upload reports himself when he was at the game. He left after the Dulwich home fixture in February. I don't have access to upload them myself, I think my report of the Wealdstone 0-7 went up because losing heavily might draw in more clicks I guess. It wasn't my choice to put it up.

I would expect the reason for not putting them up, along with the lack of hits, is they don't have as much staff. From my experience, uploading to a news side isn't a simple copy and paste job, it's quite time-consuming and although I don't look at that website frequently, I can imagine it's updated a lot. I'm annoyed I didn't get a reply at all when I asked - I'm in regular correspondence with the print editor Paul Jenkins but I don't think I've ever heard back from those dealing with things online. Even if we trialled it for a month I'd be happy, then if they say it's not working out so be it. If the way to attract hits is to beef up the story with headlines like "GILL SLAMS PLAYERS FOR LATEST DEFEAT" I don't want to be part of it but I'm willing to give them some fresh content or just the match reports to keep the page active.

Re Stowford - didn't take offence, don't worry. Was just answering any possible questions that might come my way if I gave a flippant "there was no interview" response.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down