Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Welling 0 City 3 FULL TIME (Hartridge 10, T.Harvey 23 (pen), Richards 44)

+3
Luton Roman
tovid
kermit
7 posters

Go down

Welling 0 City 3 FULL TIME (Hartridge 10, T.Harvey 23 (pen), Richards 44) Empty Welling 0 City 3 FULL TIME (Hartridge 10, T.Harvey 23 (pen), Richards 44)

Post by kermit Sat Aug 10, 2019 2:42 pm

So, we've gone for an 19 year old loan keeper from Wolves today.
Feel a bit sorry for Harvey WH.
Also, Matt Bower dropped to bench. Now that is odd.
Hey ho. Come on you stripes.

Last edited by kermit on Sat Aug 10, 2019 4:54 pm; edited 4 times in total
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Welling 0 City 3 FULL TIME (Hartridge 10, T.Harvey 23 (pen), Richards 44) Empty Re: Welling 0 City 3 FULL TIME (Hartridge 10, T.Harvey 23 (pen), Richards 44)

Post by tovid Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:06 pm

Still can't get used to hearing Harvey Smith's name. Keep expecting to hear a horse cantering by.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Welling 0 City 3 FULL TIME (Hartridge 10, T.Harvey 23 (pen), Richards 44) Empty Re: Welling 0 City 3 FULL TIME (Hartridge 10, T.Harvey 23 (pen), Richards 44)

Post by tovid Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:12 pm

Crikey we've scored in the first half.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Aug 10, 2019 3:59 pm

Crikey 3 in the first half
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Aug 10, 2019 7:28 pm

Comprehensive performance from the get go against a very unWelling like side who had little grit or appetite for the game. City had plenty of the ball and time to make the best of it esp in the 1st half where they whipped it from side to side and through the middle almost at will. First goal from a near post corner flick that could have been going in but Hartridge made sure. Then Watto brought down for a stonewall pen that Tyler put away sending the keeper the wrong way, and the third a lovely move on the stroke of half time that saw Tyler pull the ball back for Richards in acres of space to sweep beyond the keeper and leave Welling to face boos and barracking at half time.

2nd half onslaught from Welling never happened despite a big forward thrown on .Time and again City got hold of the ball swept forward and, perhaps the only criticism today, just lacked the final shot as either the keeper saved easily or the ball went wastefully high or wide. But to dwell on that would be unfair in a game where City had virtual domination and certainly didn't look a team assembled only a few weeks ago. The debut keeper had little to do, might have been fortunate to escape punishment taking out their forward on a break, and should learn to come over and clap the supporters !

All in all an enjoyable day at a ground where we have had mixed results and seldom looked as comfortable we did today.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:54 am

Agreed. I doubt if we'll have such a comfortable win this season and I'd be very depressed if I was a Welling supporter having to endure that, especially as their team was so powerful just a few months ago. As Junior recently suggested, could they be the latest former Steve King club to plummet?

But full marks to our players who again played some delightful football. I'm sure the above stats king will inform us when the last time was that we fielded three different keepers in consecutive matches - it must take  a lot of readjusting for the defence but there were hardly any  Wink scares.

Special mention for Tom Richards who already is proving to be an excellent signing.

Welling High Street was certainly breezy, although calmer than in central London, but it was surprising how little the wind affected the match.

Last edited by comrade powell on Mon Aug 12, 2019 1:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Aug 11, 2019 12:12 pm

comrade powell wrote:I'm sure the above stats king will inform us when the last time was that we fielded three different keepers in consecutive matches

Not as long as I thought - it was February 2015 when Arch chopped and changed around the trophy run, left Jason Mellor out for Whitehawk away and Farnborough home. Conor Thompson and Josh Barrington filled in.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Aug 11, 2019 10:10 pm

kermit wrote:Feel a bit sorry for Harvey WH.

I have been impressed by Harvey whenever I have seen him. I thought that the Weymouth appearance was going to be a one game thing as Clarke wouldn't be out for long but, obviously, it's a touch more serious than I thought. Despite the likes of Rojas, Campos etc, the received wisdom is always going to be that goalkeepers have to be tall and obviously Pardington (as well as Ryan) are taller. It will be interesting to see how it goes with Harvey as he has done well when he has needed to stop up and, perhaps, there is a bit more growth in him. His brother (Tyler?) is a good player whenever I have seen him as well - somewhat in the Stearn mode - but I don't know if he is still at the club. Talking of Ross, I am assuming he is still injured as well.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:12 am

Marc Monitor wrote: Despite the likes of Rojas, Campos etc, the received wisdom is always going to be that goalkeepers have to be tall and obviously Pardington (as well as Ryan) are taller..

I always felt this was going to count agianst Luke Southwood as well. There is a tendency to go for goalkeeping giants nowadays if only for the fact they fill more of a goal when the forward is shooting. But some smaller players have prodigious ability to leap and Stearn is one example of that - he wins headers against far taller players - and so can Harvey.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Aug 12, 2019 3:22 pm

Southwood is 6 foot, isn't he? I didn't realise the trend for tall keepers had gone that far.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Aug 12, 2019 9:27 pm

I see the goalkeeper situation as this:

Jerry has been in charge for 92 games. How many times has he named a sub keeper? 90. One he didn't was East Thurrock home, just before we signed Hodges. Other was at Weymouth last week as there was no-one else spare after Clarke's late injury.

You can argue that it's a waste of a substitute as we haven't had to bring one on in that time. But it can be a game-changer. Imagine if Wiles-Richards didn't travel to Weymouth? We would have been stuffed. Literally and scoreline-wise.

So, with Clarke injured, we need another keeper. Do you look at the Academy? Not sure they've restarted yet. And if they have, are any of them really up to National League South level if we lose our keeper during the game? If they're not, you might as well risk not having one, and rely on a player to bail you out.

You're left to get one on loan, and not many league clubs will happily say 'sure, have one of our keepers and shove him on the bench for a month.' They could have got game time elsewhere. Pardington has obviously been signed with the promise of a few matches until Clarke is fit. If he does well, Wolves, a Premier League team, might think 'that worked out, if they want another player on loan we can send them to Bath City again...'

Did Harvey do anything wrong at Weymouth? Not in my opinion. He's confident but is a young lad, an error at a place like Welling, albeit a smaller crowd than Weymouth but one where the crowd are almost on top of you, could have harmed him. Age-wise he has plenty of time on his side and he hope he flourishes, even better if it's with us. I'm sure the situation would have been explained to him, wouldn't have been a case of introducing Pardington at training and saying 'Harvey, he's taking your place mate, go and warm him up for a bit.'

His brother, mentioned earlier in the thread, is Charlie, who scored in the Welton game which had to be replayed. Think he played in another SPC game. I can't really go by those by confirming a player is 'handy' or useless. Welton and Bishop's Lydeard are not Weymouth or Welling. Unless they produce a performance which is absolutely outstanding, or absolutely dismal, I seldom remember what they're like. Harsh perhaps, but true. I think Charlie's played in the Western League a bit.

Final bit - the comment about Pardington not clapping the fans. I really hope that's tongue in cheek! Do fans really get that offended by it? I must have watched 1-200 away matches from the terraces and although it felt nice if the players applauded supporters, if they didn't I'd cope, regardless of the result. I didn't go to these games to be thanked for my turning up from the players, I went because I wanted to. If players didn't acknowledge it so be it.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Aug 12, 2019 11:54 pm

Don't get me wrong (if your answer is directed at me), Mark, I am certainly not questioning Jerry's decision - especially not after an excellent clean sheet away at Welling. Jerry's ability to manage players, especially those on the fringes of the squad, isn't in question - I think the way that he has Ross playing for us, mostly from the bench, is proof of that. I was just wondering what the future holds for a promising young player such as Harvey in a position where a certain physique is seen as essential. This isn't a Jerry/Bath City thing, it is a football thing. As an aside, I have a feeling that Harvey has played outfield for some of his youth career as well.

As far as Charlie (thanks for the correction) goes, it was just a general musing. I agree that one or two games' displays don't prove anything especially when a player is so young. I was a junior football coach so have seen a lot of local players who I thought would progress through to - around about - a division or two below our level and haven't. However, I know that, with Harvey and James, there are players coming through from the Academy. I was just interested to know if he is still with us (or the Academy, at least).

As it goes, I agree with you about the clapping of the supporters. While it is a nice gesture when it happens, I do think that supporters have to appreciate that, post-match, players may have other things that they need to do or that they are thinking about. Over the years, I have seen 'badge-kissing' players who are doing it just for show to the fans - as well as, of course, many great players who also do it it sincerely - to know that it isn't necessarily a sign of the quality of the player or the person.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Aug 13, 2019 11:54 am

Marc Monitor wrote:Don't get me wrong (if your answer is directed at me), Mark

No no, was just a sweeping statement, wasn't directed at anyone.

And I don't blame you for muddling up Charlie's name. When your team has a Tom Smith, Tom Richards, Harvey Wiles-Richards, Tyler Harvey and Harvey Smith it's bound to cause a few stumbles.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:38 pm

No it wasn't tongue in cheek about the keeper not coming over. Once they've handshaked the ref and players it takes barely a couple of mins to enjoy some mutual clapping with fans, esp away where it has cost money for travel and entrance and certainly when we've won ffs !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Aug 13, 2019 1:52 pm

He’d previously played for Wolves u23 and Rushall Olympic, probably didn’t have anyone to applaud after so he acted on instinct.

I honestly can’t believe anyone would get that agitated by it. I’d do well to notice who comes over and who doesn’t. I hope all the analysis after was about how well we played, not centred on a young lad not clapping a couple of times.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Tue Aug 13, 2019 4:46 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:He’d previously played for Wolves u23 and Rushall Olympic, probably didn’t have anyone to applaud after so he acted on instinct.

I honestly can’t believe anyone would get that agitated by it. I’d do well to notice who comes over and who doesn’t. I hope all the analysis after was about how well we played, not centred on a young lad not clapping a couple of times.

Alleluia!!!!!

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down