Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ex Romans' Thread

+62
Manchester Romans
City 'til we're relegated
Midsomer-chris
Twerton Parker
Kelston Koppite
pete mac
the demon headmaster
Corstonian
PSJRoman
daven
PHILB1973#
Freeview Joe
Thompy
tovid
sirkev
Dodgycarpet
cannonball
westonpundit
Maurice Ashman
romanoyd
Peter Newman
Dusty Lynfield
turnstyle13
A36
Peteboa
sned
Colin Voutt
Elmore James
yuffie
striped67
Bristol Mike
kentish tim
SteveS
pmh9800
Twerton Park Magic
Major Icewater
Micawber
Reedy
Sir Ged Roddy
Marc Monitor
Beau Nash
miker
mike h
2weirdtown
threeday week
Mark Tanner
kermit
BenE
Ashley
comrade powell
LB
RUDI GULITS
DorsetExile
Roy D Hacksaw
Luton Roman
county exile
Jon_BOA
Midsomer-steve
stillmanjunior
Dave
thomasmaxbaer
Roman Mike
66 posters

Page 35 of 43 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 39 ... 43  Next

Go down

Ex Romans' Thread - Page 35 Empty Re: Ex Romans' Thread

Post by Midsomer-steve Sat Mar 12, 2022 11:42 pm

Yes Les - Jerry said the same, in passing, in his post match interview today. That's good for us.

Whilst on the subject of useful monies coming in to us - in the EFL match highlights tonight the commentator mentioned that Donovan Wilson (Sutton) went off injured after 17 minutes today. Am I right in thinking that he is injured a lot - he was when he played for us. If so then all praise to us for getting the transfer money we did for him.

In the match highlights of Colchester's game today, I noticed that Owuru Edwards was playing for them, (on loan from Bristol City?). I find it strange that his brother Opi, who was generally regarded as the more talented of the two, is still playing non-League (Torquay). I hope there is no jealousy in that family! Smile
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Mar 13, 2022 5:54 pm

Midsomer-steve wrote:Yes Les - Jerry said the same, in passing, in his post match interview today. That's good for us.

Whilst on the subject of useful monies coming in to us - in the EFL match highlights tonight the commentator mentioned that Donovan Wilson (Sutton) went off injured after 17 minutes today. Am I right in thinking that he is injured a lot - he was when he played for us. If so then all praise to us for getting the transfer money we did for him.

In the match highlights of Colchester's game today, I noticed that Owuru Edwards was playing for them, (on loan from Bristol City?). I find it strange that his brother Opi, who was generally regarded as the more talented of the two, is still playing non-League (Torquay). I hope there is no jealousy in that family! Smile  

I think Donovan has been in the Sutton squad most of the season and has often come off the bench when he hasn't started - quite a few of their players were feeling the effects from their game at Wigan on Tuesday, and the goalkeeper was injured in the warm up at Walsall yesterday and had to be replaced before kick off.

I don't think we saw the best of Owuru Edwards because he never came back to us after he was injured in the cup game at Supermarine, but he does seem to be doing better than Opi at the moment. Talking of Colchester, Noel Chilvers is doing well there at the moment and scored twice yesterday.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:45 pm

Luke Southwood playing for N Ireland v Luxemburg tonight

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Mar 25, 2022 8:57 pm

Manchester Romans wrote:Luke Southwood playing for N Ireland v Luxemburg tonight

His international debut, well done Luke.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Fri Mar 25, 2022 9:23 pm

Luton Roman wrote:
Manchester Romans wrote:Luke Southwood playing for N Ireland v Luxemburg tonight
His international debut, well done Luke.
That would be senior International debut having previously played for England U-20s (including being part of the England squad that won the FIFA U-20 World Cup in 2017).
Makes me wonder if Northern Ireland have ever had a FIFA World Cup winner (of any age group} playing for them before.
Luke also joins Jimmy Nicholl as players that have played for Bath City and Northern Ireland.

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Mar 26, 2022 4:50 pm

Harvey W-R signs for Gloucester on loan until the end of the season

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Sun Mar 27, 2022 6:30 pm

Axel Andresson has just moved from Riga FC in Latvia to Örebro SK in the Swedish second division.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:47 pm

And Donovan Wilson scored Sutton’s opener at Wembley on Sunday in the Pappa John Trophy Final.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Apr 09, 2022 9:58 pm

Murphy Mahoney makes QPR debut in goal.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:31 pm

Former City man Mike Dowling (22 apps, 6 goals in 73-74 season) features in the current edition of When Saturday Comes - his finest hour was scoring a long range thunderbolt for Plymouth against Pele’s Santos. It was the only time Pele played a full 90 minutes in the UK. After one season at City, Dowling returned to his hometown of Bodmin, where he still lives.

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Apr 24, 2022 5:55 pm

Manchester Romans wrote:Former City man Mike Dowling (22 apps, 6 goals in 73-74 season) features in the current edition of When Saturday Comes - his finest hour was scoring a long range thunderbolt for Plymouth against Pele’s Santos. It was the only time Pele played a full 90 minutes in the UK. After one season at City, Dowling returned to his hometown of Bodmin, where he still lives.

If my memory serves me correctly, 3 of his 6 goals came in a 6-1 win against Bideford on Good Friday 1974, 2 of them penalties I think.

LB

Manchester Romans likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by threeday week Wed May 11, 2022 6:51 pm

Callum Rowe, Jordan Dyer, Ben Seymour all released by Exeter, Opi Edwards released by FGR

threeday week

Back to top Go down

Post by romanoyd Fri May 13, 2022 5:01 pm

Miles Welch-Hayes released by Colchester, Aaron Amadi Holloway released by Burton, Ryan Broom transfer listed by Peterborough
romanoyd
romanoyd

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri May 13, 2022 5:09 pm

romanoyd wrote:Miles Welch-Hayes released by Colchester, Aaron Amadi Holloway released by Burton, Ryan Broom transfer listed by Peterborough

Crikey MWH only 25. Will be looking to stay in EFL for sure.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Fri May 13, 2022 10:31 pm

Probably he will, but it must have been a bad injury to have kept him out of the Colchester team for so long. Would love him to return to us as we do need a right back - and, of course, it would free up Joe to take up his rightful place in midfield, where we sorely need his talents. Get the purse out Jerry.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Beau Nash likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Sat May 14, 2022 6:56 am

Midsomer-steve wrote:. Would love him to return to us as we do need a right back - and, of course, it would free up Joe to take up his rightful place in midfield, where we sorely need his talents. .

We do have a right back Steve in Eddie Jones who lots of us rate highly for his steely commited streetwise approach to the game. Also I would like the budget stretched more sensibly this year, not all lumbered onto a football league right back.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

comrade powell likes this post

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat May 14, 2022 9:22 am

Agree about Steady Eddie. I don’t know what his personality is like but if it’s suitable for the job he may make a suitable captain. That’s assuming that he’s retained which I sincerely hope is the case.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sun May 15, 2022 1:48 am

Forgive me if this is incorrect, but Eddie has been on the bench recently, but even when he was eventually back into the starting eleven he was regularly substituted, well before the end of a game; so perhaps he is not valued so highly by the person that counts!

As others have given us an idea of whom they would retain, or not, I would like Mo Touray to be given another chance at Twerton if it is possible to attain him. He was injured and then caught COVID, which hampered his recovery, but before that he showed a lot of class, and enthusiasm, and I suspect that I was not the only one to be sorry that his loan period was not extended.

I think that we particularly need to strengthen our midfield, and therefore take some pressure off the back line, which is why I have made these recent comments/suggestions.

On the loanee front - I hope that we make every effort to retain Delaney and Frear - Zak is no longer on WBA's books I believe!

To my mind there is one vital consideration for Gerry to ask himself above everything else - did I get the best out of each of my players by the end of the season, or is there more improvement within them that I can harvest! An answer to that will go a long way towards them being retained or not, because the results this year speak for themselves - could hardly get a point off the top teams, but salvaged our reputation by scraping out draws or wins from teams around us in or just above the relegation area. We currently have a squad of players who collectively are mid-table at best, and, after achieving a play-off position in the previous two years, we all want better than where we finished this year, so my question about whether we are getting the best out of the players is paramount in importance. The 'dead end' as far as progress is concerned, of course, is that if the answer to my question is a resounding 'Yes' then the team needs more money thrown at them, and we haven't got the resources to do that. The Club still needs ambition though.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sun May 15, 2022 10:27 am

Steve , Mo Toure put on timber when convalescing from Covid and became ineffective. He has struggled in his subsequent spell with Hereford too.
Frear isn't a loanee by the way. Ironically his fitness has improved through the season presumably because he has been relatively free of injuries.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun May 15, 2022 8:45 pm

When we signed Eddie Jones I assumed he would be a squad player - which is how he ended up - but I think he showed he was better than that and as overlapping full back proved to be a great crosser of the ball as well.  Like others, I fear that his recent fall out of favour suggests that he might not be retained which would be a pity in my opinion.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sun May 15, 2022 11:37 pm

tovid wrote:Steve , Mo Toure put on timber when convalescing from Covid and became ineffective. He has struggled in his subsequent spell with Hereford too.
Frear isn't a loanee by the way. Ironically his fitness has improved through the season presumably because he has been relatively free of injuries.

Thanks for your information:

Sorry for the inaccuracy about Frear - delighted that he was not a loanee.

Phil - I would not have mentioned MWH but for the fact that he was impressive when he played for us, and was a fan's favourite. When you read my final paragraph today you will see that, except for the odd exception, I am not in favour of signing on ex-League players, as they invariably demand a high wage (your argument). As MWH is coming back from a lengthy time away from the game, perhaps we can lick him back into shape by signing him relatively cheaply, or having him on loan, to a mutual advantage.

I had a soft spot for Mo because he acted like a winger, and good wingers are worth the admission money alone to watch. I saw for myself, when he made his comeback, that he was a shadow of himself, but it was sad not to extend his loan, as Gerry could have whipped him into shape I would have thought - if he can't then no-one can.

One last thing to mention that I missed out of my diatribe yesterday. I am firmly in the camp of people who believe that we should concentrate on scouting for, and then signing, if considered good enough, young players, either out of our own ranks or from local Clubs at the same level as we are or even below - primarily to keep the budget down; but I believe that this type of player will more quickly develop that sense of loyalty to the Club, and thus will go the extra mile in their efforts to always do well. I deliberately mentioned scouting as this is so important , especially during pre-season when trials matches are arranged.
I only have one name that I can recommend at the moment and that is a Paulton Rovers mid-fielder called Ibrahim? He runs for 90 minutes - raw talent - and looks good to me. Don't tell anyone from that Club that I have mentioned him though - it is my local watering hole Laughing
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by PHILB1973# Fri May 20, 2022 11:31 pm

Adam Mann has joirned Chicago House Athletic according to Chippenham's Forum.
PHILB1973#
PHILB1973#

Back to top Go down

Post by PSJRoman Tue May 24, 2022 7:34 pm

Gloucester have released Ben Gerring.

PSJRoman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue May 24, 2022 8:14 pm

PSJRoman wrote:Gloucester have released Ben Gerring.

If you're thinking what I think you're thinking, don't!!! Evil or Very Mad
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tue May 24, 2022 9:01 pm

He was released a fortnight ago, though to be fair with his pace he's probably only just reached the end of the car park

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 43 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 39 ... 43  Next