Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WESTON AWAY!!!

+8
2weirdtown
Roy D Hacksaw
Beau Nash
Freeview Joe
stillmanjunior
A36
pete mac
comrade powell
12 posters

Go down

WESTON AWAY!!! Empty WESTON AWAY!!!

Post by comrade powell Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Bring it on!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

WESTON AWAY!!! Empty Re: WESTON AWAY!!!

Post by pete mac Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:30 pm

I’ll have to end my exile and be there for this. We are due a win there.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:31 pm

Grrrrr, another long drive for a 2:30pm postponement, not happy about that at all!

A36

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:38 pm

If you’re going to get an opponent from the same division you’d want the worst. They’ll be massively up for it but if they are at the same level as they were at Twerton, we will win. Hopefully some of the injured bodies will be back for us.

Not sure if I’ll bother. Haven’t been there for a league game for years, which has saved me a lot of petrol money with the late cancellations. Covered a few SPC ones when it’s empty in their stand so it’s easier for radio. Dread to think what it’d be like when busy. The last 4Q tie I missed was at Dover and that worked out ok.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Oct 08, 2018 12:46 pm

Junior, I detest Wembley but I'll be there when we reach the final!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:10 pm

Fish and Chip Dinner! ... I'm going!
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:11 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:If you’re going to get an opponent from the same division you’d want the worst. They’ll be massively up for it but if they are at the same level as they were at Twerton, we will win. Hopefully some of the injured bodies will be back for us.

Not sure if I’ll bother. Haven’t been there for a league game for years, which has saved me a lot of petrol money with the late cancellations. Covered a few SPC ones when it’s empty in their stand so it’s easier for radio. Dread to think what it’d be like when busy. The last 4Q tie I missed was at Dover and that worked out ok.

Make no mistake the game will be difficult.

Love the comments on Facebook about last minute postponement. Twisted Evil

Without junior (Bath City's John Motson) who will BCIR have as commentators? pale
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:42 pm

Signs that Weston are improving so it will be tough but better than welling, billericay or orient and a few others besides

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:48 pm

Beau Nash wrote:Without junior who will BCIR have as commentators? pale

We've covered every league game there since I joined without me present so won't be an issue. And we cover every home game without me behind the mic.

I was meant to do the NYD one as we had no-one else available, but the outcome was predictable.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:51 pm

Oh rats, I can't flipping go. We've got a gig in Basingstoke that night, and I'd have made it if we'd been at home or somewhere nearer.

Still, I don't feel so bad not giving them cancelling ratbags my money and all!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Oct 08, 2018 1:57 pm

pete mac wrote:Signs that Weston are improving so it will be tough but better than welling, billericay or orient and a few others besides

I'm not sure if they are. Read comments that they were pretty fortunate on Saturday. I don't know what to believe really, I think Mark Hughes must be in charge of their Twitter feed going by the regular complaints about the officials at their matches.

Billericay or Welling would've been shockers. Orient I would have taken as it would generate interest, home or away. And we'd have nothing to lose, would be interesting to see us up against a higher league side. It's more a personal thing, I just find it quite dull when you draw a side from your own division in the cups. Playing Oxford three times in about two weeks a couple of years ago springs to mind.

We've overcome two form sides to get this far, two teams that probably felt pressure-free knowing they were underdogs. Weston will be underdogs in this, but it's barely a trip into the unknown for us. We're far better than the performance in January (ok, from hearsay, it's the last match I didn't attend) and, from results this season, they're far worse.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:01 pm

Always unwise to predict the outcome of cup games. Based on our performance at Banbury we should have thrashed Lewes, but as someone else posted we could easily have been 2-0 down at ht.
This isn't the match to be selective - we need to travel in huge numbers! (btw I can't make the Bishops Lydeard game tomorrow... Embarassed )
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:05 pm

We went there in the cup a few years ago when Jason Eaton was at City. It was their previous ground and we put five past them. Think they were in a lower league then.
It's a great opportunity to advance in the cup and make some money.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:12 pm

The fact that they keeper was man of the match and it took a 90th minute goal to sneak past a side from the lower half of the Bostick North Division suggests there is no sign they are improving. Of course, we'll still need to play well to win but, as Mark says, if you are going to draw a team in our division it might as well be the crappiest one.

As an side, the Chronicle had us down as ball 31 so I thought we'd avoided a 50/50 chance of not having a game on the Saturday when Weston were drawn to play ball 29.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Oct 08, 2018 2:19 pm

My comment based on the fact that they battled to a cup replay win aet at Salisbury and beat Coggeshall plus their manager said they were unlucky at Dartford. We should not be complacent.theycplay east Thurrock this Saturday so let’s see how they shape up

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Mon Oct 08, 2018 3:10 pm

Actually, looking at the draw, we might be one of the more attractive ties for BBC Sport to potentially cover. Dunston UTS v Gateshead is possibly the best minnows v relative giants for them, and Orient v Maidstone might float their boat with Orient's big name and faded glory - but we can't be far off consideration, being a smudge of a derby and all.

Would there be any telly cash in that for us?

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Mon Oct 08, 2018 6:28 pm

Can't see any match that Salford are not in being attractive to the BBC. But they might be drawn to Gateshead.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by sirkev Mon Oct 08, 2018 8:04 pm

Would have preferred WSM at TP because we may be in the third round draw before this tie is eventually played. I went to both games at Woodspring Park last season and fancy us there on 20th as they weren't no great shakes on bank holiday Monday. I wont be there unfortunately as in Lisbon, Unfortunately no Benfica, Sporting Lisbon or Beleneses matches to watch due to the international break. Will be wearing my retro Romans shirt with pride though and listening on internet.

sirkev

Back to top Go down

WESTON AWAY!!! Empty Bring it on

Post by Twerton Park Magic Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:33 pm

Hope to be there with Catalan friend and Barca supporter wearing yellow ribbons to support Catalan political prisoners (cf Pep Guardiola).
What will she make of the Woodspring Arena?!
Round One here we come.

Twerton Park Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Oct 08, 2018 9:54 pm

Hopefully she will get to see a game - some of the clan we met in Italy traveled over for this match in February 2017 to be greeted with a postponement.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Oct 08, 2018 10:36 pm

2weirdtown wrote:We went there in the cup a few years ago when Jason Eaton was at City.  It was their previous ground and we put five past them.  Think they were in a lower league then.
It's a great opportunity to advance in the cup and make some money.

Yea they were division below, Jim scored as well. We overcame two tricky looking ties with ease before Yeovil knocked us out. Even then we didn't disgrace ourselves.

I quite liked that old place, was a bit quirky. Bar the superb massive terrace behind the goal (even that looks daft with seats installed, presumably to get them up to the minimum required), they've made a mess of the Woodspring. Having a small stand more or less at ground level is pointless, wish it was elevated. If our redeveloped ground resembles 75% of theirs I'll be gutted.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:39 am

sirkev wrote: I wont be there unfortunately as in Lisbon, Unfortunately no Benfica, Sporting Lisbon or Beleneses matches to watch due to the international break. Will be wearing my retro Romans shirt with pride though and listening on internet.

There's plenty of fine lower league clubs in Lisbon and its surrounds, mind. Sadly, my faves Clube Desportivo Olivais e Moscavide are playing away that weekend - which is a shame, as they're one of the friendliest little clubs you'll go to anywhere - as are the slightly terrifying side formed by nuns, Casa Pia. But have a root around the fixtures of the AF Lisboa Divisão de Honra league (about the sixth and seventh tier in local football, although I've never entirely worked it out) and you're sure to find something ace to watch. The standard is pretty high for that level, and the football is generally a bit more attacking that the nicey-passy sides at the higher level. You never know, you might find yourself a gem!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down