Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City (0)2 Weston-super-Mare (0)0

3 posters

Go down

Bath City (0)2  Weston-super-Mare (0)0 Empty Bath City (0)2 Weston-super-Mare (0)0

Post by Kelston Koppite Mon Aug 27, 2018 10:47 pm

Bath City took all three points from the ‘Somerset Derby’ against Weston-super-Mare, with second half goals from Sean Rigg and Joe Raynes being sufficient to earn victory.  The home side could also afford the luxury of missing a penalty kick, when Luke Purnell denied Riggs’ from 12 yards shortly after the break.

Playing towards the Bristol End, City began the game in the ascendancy and created their first opening after only 7 minutes.  Adam Mann released Raynes out wide on the right, who found Ryan Brunt with his cross, but the frontman lifted his shot over Purnell’s crossbar from a useful position.  As the hosts continued to press, Andy Watkins volleyed over the top from 25 yards out and, on 11 minutes, Riggs’ skimming shot from 25 yards was narrowly wide of the target.

Weston’s first effort on goal arrived on 15 minutes, but Jarrad Welch’s angled free kick from the left side of the area flew straight into the safe arms of Ryan Clarke.  It was City, however, that continued to enjoy the greater share of possession, and Brunt burst into the away box but saw his shot blocked by the advancing Purnell.  The ball rebounded to the striker, but he could only find the outside of the side netting with his follow-up effort.

Robbie Cundy glanced his header wide of the far post from Riggs’ left wing free-kick on 21 minutes, but City had a very fortunate escape three minutes later.  Ben Swallow played the ball into the home box, and time appeared to stand still as Alex Byrne’s eventual effort bobbled gently through a crowd of defenders and on to the foot of the post.  With Clarke prone on the ground, the rebound fell to Jamie Lucas, but the former Roman somehow contrived to direct his header wide of the other post from barely three yards out.

Rigg’s freekick from 25 yards in the 28th minute was well wide of the target and, at the other end, Welch’s similar effort was comfortably held by Clarke.  The visitors then came more into the match as the interval approached and, when City failed to deal convincing with a corner kick, skipper Jacob Cane headed just wide of the far post.

Whilst the home side dominated the first period in terms of possession, they were unable to find any real fluency to their play.  However, Jerry Gill’s half time talk again galvanised his men, and they came out after the break putting The Seagulls under immediate defensive pressure.  Indeed, they had a golden opportunity to take the lead within two minutes of the restart when, following Raynes’ long throw into the box, Brunt was pushed to the ground by the towering figure of Matthew Bower.  The referee, Mr. Scott Jackson, had no hesitation in awarding a penalty, but Purnell produced a brilliant save low down at full stretch to keep out Riggs’ spot kick.

City were almost made to pay immediately when Tristan Plummer found space in the home area, but Jack Batten made an excellent last-ditch challenge to divert his shot for a corner kick.

The home side continued to push forward with Brunt trying his luck from 25 yards on 55 minutes, but the shot lacked the power to trouble Purnell. The pressure finally told a minute later when Mann delivered an exquisite cross into the box from the right, and Rigg ghosted in at the back post to head powerfully beyond the hapless Purnell.

Weston desperately tried to find an instant retort but, after cutting inside from the right, Swallow wastefully fired high and wide of Clarke’s goal.

City were now well on top and, on the hour mark, Frankie Artus attempted an ambitious volley from 30 yards that found its way into the upper reaches of the perimeter netting that protects the residential properties beyond the Bath End.  However, the home faithful only had to wait three more minutes before their side’s advantage was doubled.  Rigg unleashed a low shot from 25 yards that deflected off Raynes, in the process wrong-footing Purnell and directing the ball into the corner of the net.  The Weston players complained bitterly to the referee that there had been an infringement in the build-up, but Mr. Jackson was dismissive.

Brunt had an excellent chance to add to his side’s tally in the 73rd minute when he was out through on goal by Artus.  The forward slipped his shot past the outrushing Purnell, but the ball hit the outside of the post and away for a goal-kick.

Matt Richards and John Mills replaced Watkins and Brunt respectively and, in between, a slick passing move ended with Mann’s low angled shot being well saved by Purnell.  With 6 minutes left on the clock, Anthony Straker drifted into the box from the left and found Mills, whose shot from 15 yards brought another good blocking save by the visiting custodian.

The home side saw out the remaining minutes without undue alarm and the vast majority of the 1,022 in attendance gave their team a rousing ovation at the final whistle.

This was a fully deserved win for City, who dominated the game for long periods and produced some outstanding football, particularly in the second half.  The margin of victory could easily have been far greater, and Weston looked a well beaten side at the conclusion. Bath will now travel to East Thurrock on Saturday looking to build on this success and consolidate their position in the National League South Play-Off places.

Bath City: Ryan Clarke, Anthony Straker, Jack Batten, Frankie Artus, Andy Watkins (Matt Richards 75), Sean Rigg, Ryan Brunt (John Mills 79), Adam Mann, Robbie Cundy, Joe Raynes, James Morton. Subs not used: Kevin Amankwaah, Dan Ball, Kieran Hodges.

Weston-super-Mare: Luke Purnell, Naby Diallo, George Nurse, Jacob Cane, Jason Pope, Matthew Bower, Ben Swallow, Alex Byrne (Louis McGrory 85), Jamie Lucas, Jarrad Welch (Jake Lee 75), Tristan Plummer (Gethyn Hill 66). Subs not used: George Morris-Edwards, Jack Goodall.

Ref:  Mr. Scott Jackson

Att:  1,022

Last edited by Kelston Koppite on Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Bath City (0)2  Weston-super-Mare (0)0 Empty Re: Bath City (0)2 Weston-super-Mare (0)0

Post by tovid Tue Aug 28, 2018 12:08 pm

Agree with most of that - but I watched the penalty from behind the Weston goal and I reckon I could have saved it (in my heyday). He didn't blast it like he normally has and put it too close to the keeper.

I thought Ben Swallow caused Straker a lot of problems and Bower looked a terrific prospect down the left.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Bath City (0)2  Weston-super-Mare (0)0 Empty Re: Bath City (0)2 Weston-super-Mare (0)0

Post by LB Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:31 pm

tovid wrote:Agree with most of that - but I watched the penalty from behind the Weston goal and I reckon I could have saved it (in my heyday). He didn't blast it like he normally has and put it too close to the keeper.

I thought Ben Swallow caused Straker a lot of problems and Bower looked a terrific prospect down the left.

I thought Straker had Swallow in his pocket most of the time, and wasn't Bower the extremely tall number 6? I think the player on the left you refer to was Nurse (on loan from Bristol City) - there was a late change between numbers 3 and 6.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Tue Aug 28, 2018 7:52 pm

My impression was that as ever when Straker had the ball he looked classy but when Swallow had the ball he went past him or crossed with ease.

And yes I meant the No3.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelston Koppite Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:10 pm

LB wrote:
tovid wrote:Agree with most of that - but I watched the penalty from behind the Weston goal and I reckon I could have saved it (in my heyday). He didn't blast it like he normally has and put it too close to the keeper.

I thought Straker had Swallow in his pocket most of the time, and wasn't Bower the extremely tall number 6? I think the player on the left you refer to was Nurse (on loan from Bristol City) - there was a late change between numbers 3 and 6.

I must admit that I didn't realise that Bower and Nurse had switched numbers. I have amended my report for posterity showing that it was Bower, not Nurse, who gave away the penalty.
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by Kelston Koppite Tue Aug 28, 2018 11:13 pm

It looked like a very good save from my angle on the Pop Side, but you obviously had a better view from behind the goal. Just shows that we see different things from different angles. Still a useful save though.
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down