Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Dartford

+8
miker
Freeview Joe
tovid
LB
stillmanjunior
comrade powell
Marc Monitor
2weirdtown
12 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

City v Dartford Empty City v Dartford

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Aug 03, 2018 5:41 pm

Preview from PureDFC at http://puredfc.com/site/?p=8363
Seems there's been a lot of changes since last season.

2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

City v Dartford Empty Re: City v Dartford

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Aug 03, 2018 8:39 pm

Well, the nice thing in a way is that Jerry seems to have been trying to keep very constant with starting line-up in the friendlies and I can't see much change tomorrow.

Clarke, Straker, Batten, Cundy, Raynes, Artus, Stearn, Mann, Morton (or Rigg if fit), Mills, Brunt starting, I would have thought with Ball, Watkins, Richards, Rigg (or Morton if Rigg is fit). The only thing is whether they have been resting Amankwaah in order for him to play right at the start but, having only had 30 mins in pre-season, I wouldn't have thought they would play him even if he is fit. Obviously, the other issue is Rigg. I spoke to him at the Rovers game when he came off and he was fairly confident that it was a knock. However, he hasn't played since and Morton has been brought in so, perhaps, it is a longer issue than we thought. Again, perhaps Jerry has decided not to risk him in any more friendlies. I have to say that Brunt has been quite quiet on the goals front in what has been a fairly competitive pre-season but I expect Jerry will stay with him starting and, perhaps, he is one of those players that springs to life in the competitive games. At this level, I expect him to be scoring fairly regularly. Still think we are a couple players - probably loan - away from the complete squad.

As far as Dartford are concerned, they have signed a fair few players that even someone as ignorant of other teams in this league as me has heard of. There doesn't seem like a great amount of replacement for the players that have left. From a purely compassionate point of view, Pugh's break sounds ghastly - I wonder what happened there. Having seen that report, I think that the second place mentioned on the "odds" thread definitely seems optimistic - I think Mark Stillman's prediction of 9th seems better - but, having been around the play-offs, they shouldn't be underestimated at all especially if we start slowly.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:25 pm

Let's hope we can improve on our appalling recent record against the Darts. Hopefully they will be as spineless as we have been in some of our visits to Princes Park.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Aug 03, 2018 9:44 pm

The Pugh injury sounded accidental, was a nasty collision with the Colchester keeper. Sounds like they only just finalised their squad this week, hopefully us being pretty much settled all pre-season will help us.

As Powell mentions, our record against Dartford is appalling. Five defeats on the spin, tomorrow could see history - we've never lost six in a row against the same side in National League South. We've also done five against Gosport (four points from 24) and Hampton (8 points from 30). Lost five from six against Dover. We last beat Dartford just before Steven Hendry became World Snooker Champion for the first time, the Poll Tax had just been introduced and Snap! was at number one with The Power. Also before nine of our squad had been born. Seeing as we've only met six times since then, it's hardly the hold Chelsea had over Tottenham for years.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Aug 03, 2018 10:01 pm

The most league wins in a row against us is at the hands of Plymouth Argyle Reserves (9) 1922-1926. Closely followed by seven from Barnet (1986-1991), Kettering (1956-1959) and Stafford (1988-1992).

The miserable run against Stafford was ended with a 2-1 win in April 1993. Jerry scored.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Aug 04, 2018 12:37 am

stillmanjunior wrote:We last beat Dartford just before Steven Hendry became World Snooker Champion for the first time, the Poll Tax had just been introduced and Snap! was at number one with The Power. Also before nine of our squad had been born.

That is the best stat ever and I am using that further afield.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:45 am

It’s just one of those things really. Doesn’t mean they’ll beat us every time we meet. In those last six games, they’ve kept a lot of their players, and management team. They’re now starting afresh and could be an ideal time to play them. We had a dreadful recent record going into the Hampton home game last year and ended it, could easily do the same again.

Whatever happens, you can’t fault the effort on and off the pitch recently. Whilst I always look forward to the start of another season, it’s rarely more than that. Just a mere buzz that my Saturday afternoons are back. I can’t wait to set off for today’s match.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:02 am

While we have dreadful records against certain clubs there are several who see us as their bogey team. In fact just about all the regulars on the league forum view us with trepidation!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:21 pm

City 'hit the ground running' as requested by the manager then wilted in the sun. some tired clearances and passes especially from defence near the end. The new no 9 looks promising.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Aug 04, 2018 7:58 pm

I was a bit concerned when I saw the team that we were a bit light in midfield especially with Frankie and Matt Richards on the bench. That having been said we started well, deserved the goal and looked likely to push on from there, but as the half went on Dartford got more into the game and it seemed almost inevitable that one of the many set pieces would lead to an equaliser.

The second half was scrappy but we should have been able to hold on (and probably just about deserved to) before the disastrous last few minutes.

It will be interesting to see what changes Jerry might make for Tuesday. Ryan Brunt reminded me a bit of Marvin Morgan at times, and when Mills came on he looked much more mobile and more likely to make an impact. I wasn’t overly impressed by Robbie Cundy alongside Jack Batten and I’m not sure he deserves his place ahead of Dan Ball, and going back to what I said earlier about the midfield I think last season James Morton generally had his best games when he played alongside either Frankie or Matt Richards.

After the friendlies, today was a good reality check and a much more realistic test than those over the last few weeks. Our neat passing game is fine when it works, but we perhaps need to work on what we do when we don’t have the ball, and not give away so many free kicks.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by tovid Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:46 pm

I thought the ref had too much influence on the outcome of the game. I predicted before half time that he would give Dartford a pen in the 89th minute. Dartford played him like an old fiddle.

OK Ross's back pass was a mare but Dartford were allowed to harry our players in a way that we weren't. Their number 8 persistently fouled throughout the game but I don't think he was even booked.

They were a big physical side and we weren't able to match that physicality. I thought Dan Ball and Frankie should have come on at half time for Cundy and Morton respectively, although to be fair the lads on the pitch made a decent showing in the second half without fashioning a gilt edged chance. 

Hopefully we will have a better rub of the green in forthcoming matches although I understand Torquay are also a big physical side so we will have our work cut out on Tuesday.
tovid
tovid

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:51 pm

When I saw in the programme who the referee was I knew what sort of game we were in for - he is always poor and today was no exception. It is frustrating though that referees in this league consistently let teams like Dartford get away with their antics largely unpunished.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Sat Aug 04, 2018 8:57 pm

Bloomin norah ... But for the c0ck up, we would have a share of the points, and deservedly so on City's first half performance I thought. New signings looked good, great goal from Mann, I thought Brunt was handy upfront mixing it, though it was a pity Mills didn't get a bit more of a run out to be honest .. Joe Raynes impressed me getting stuck in and knocking it as well ... Just shame about the result really ... Still, early days.

P.S Fantastic new programme look too by the way.
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Aug 04, 2018 9:06 pm

I agree about the ref. Ridiculous decision for the free kick that led to their equaliser.
On a more positive note, that was the best opening day attendance for many a year so well done to those like 1000BC working hard behind the scenes. Good to see volunteers helping out in Charlies. Quite a buzz in there before kick off.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:21 pm

Enjoyed the game today. Admirable effort by all the players in baking heat and well done to the ground staff for getting the pitch in such a good condition... my front lawn shrivelled and died long ago. Dartford were very good and got better as the game wore on. I spotted a few individual weaknesses in our team, which I won't mention here as it will seem like criticism and it was after all the first real game this season so plenty of time to improve hopefully.

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Aug 04, 2018 10:45 pm

LB wrote:When I saw in the programme who the referee was I knew what sort of game we were in for - he is always poor and today was no exception.

Well, he doesn't bring us much luck! Five games, only win was at Havant last season. He did the original Chelmsford cup game, awarding us a straightforward penalty. Also did our FA Cup and Trophy exits in 16/17 and, to be honest, I don't recall any glaring errors in either.

I thought he let a lot go. For the penalties, I couldn't see why the first was given as I was still wondering how Sam-Yorke missed. The second was a foul by Clarke and correct decision to book him, only doubt is whether it was inside the box but if it was out it was extremely marginal.

I won't say much else on the officiating as I'm taking charge of a match tomorrow morning...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:36 am

Yes, the second penalty was nailed on for obvious reasons. It didn't occur to me whether it was inside the area or not as I was on the wrong end of the pitch and, also, concerned that Clarke was going to go off.

I thought that Cundy had a reasonable game but, apart from that, I agree with most comments here. In retrospect, perhaps Artus for Mann might have been a better choice for midfield but, again, we were playing some lovely football and keeping control of the game until the last minute of the second half. I have to admit I was surprised to see Watkins in the starting line-up after he hadn't started much in the pre-season but he didn't do anything wrong. I am not sure about him being man of the match however.

What I would say is that we still look susceptible to the long ball over the top and the counter attack but, perhaps, it just needs the defence to train together a bit more a unit. The main point that I saw was that too many players were caught on the ball, dispossessed and out of position. I am all for players being adventurous but, on occasion, we over did it. Also, I think that there needs to be someone marshalling the defence vocally a bit more especially with the young lads and especially with Raynes playing out of position (however well he is doing presently there). Although Straker is captain, he doesn't seem vocal enough and neither does Batten (who, I thought, was very good today otherwise). Considering that he is also out of position, I am impressed by Mann.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:31 am

[quote="stillmanjunior"]
LB wrote: I don't recall any glaring errors in either.
I recall him having a good laugh with Simon Downer at Sutton in that Trophy game moments after said kn*bhead had deliberately stamped on Tyler Harvey's spine as he led on the floor from a challenge just before. He was about 3 yards away looking directly at it. Will never forget, one of the most appauling pieces of refereeing I've ever seen.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:41 am

I could give a perfect description of the winning goal in that rather nondescript game yet can’t remember standout incidents like that. My mind works in odd ways.

We’ve got Durkin on Tuesday who I’ve never been a fan of. I don’t think Gill or Owers are keen either. Should be interesting.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sun Aug 05, 2018 11:16 am

Could be worse, I feared we might have Rick Hulme as we usually do when playing down that way!

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by cannonball Sun Aug 05, 2018 12:28 pm

Very disappointing result after all the pre-match build up and good pre-season and everyone was very deflated after the game.

However, JG has put together a good squad, no doubt about that, but for me I cant understand why Artus didn't start. He is crucial to gaining control in midfield and although we had them hanging on a bit in the first 20 minutes after we went 1-0 up and should have put the game away, Dartford closed us down very well and won the midfield for the majority of the time after that and we left big gaps for them to just pass round us. Morton is a great young prospect but needs space & time to play his lovely passes, but he is not a gritty battler like Artus. I think if you are going to play him you have to have either Artus or possibly Richards doing the donkey work next to him picking up all the loose pieces.

Of the new signings, I thought Mills looked a threat when he came on and will score goals because he anticipates what is going to happen next, Brunt battled away manfully without much help or support at times and Joey Raynes was good in an unfamiliar position, although again I feel his energy and drive could be used better in midfield when Amankwaah is fit or we get another right back.

Cundy looked ok....just.... but was given a severe examination by their quick, skilful front runners and at times look a bit 'leggy' and overstretched. Why is he playing right side to Batten when he is left footed? ... and Batten who is right footed seemed to be playing left side....couldn't work that out or maybe it was just the way things panned out?

Overall disappointing outcome and the 'unbeaten home record' gone already but nobody can judge anything really until 8-10 games have been played.

Next up Torquay and Gary Owers on Tuesday - looking at the other results as well this League is going to be no cakewalk for anyone although Billericay and Torquay with their big budgets will be hard to stop I think and Wealdstone & Hemel who are also boasting pretty large budgets started well also.

Tough League this season without a doubt .... pale
cannonball
cannonball

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Aug 05, 2018 1:30 pm

First half was ok, second awful...the players didn't have any idea about how to retain possession.

Pre-season friendlies appear to have not prepared the team at all, too many games against lower division clubs which although helped fitness would not have had the quality to test City so the writing was probably shown to be on the wall when failing to score against Exeter.

Can't see this season being any different from last.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Aug 05, 2018 4:26 pm

Neither penalty should've been given for me. Cundy's arm is outstretched because he's about to hit the ground, the ball ricochets off of a knee and under his arm briefly, no intent whatsoever and no disadvantage, they went on to miss an open goal before it was given. The second one, the forward has tucked his feet behind his knees and is heading for the ground beford any contact. Their equaliser should also have been disallowed, the only reason he's got the free header is because he's dragging Rigg down by his shirt. Don't come back Mr Massey

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Aug 05, 2018 6:22 pm

Palms wrote:Cundy's arm is outstretched because he's about to hit the ground, the ball ricochets off of a knee and under his arm briefly, no intent whatsoever and no disadvantage, they went on to miss an open goal before it was given

I thought it might have been for shirt-pulling or something, it made no sense. And as you say, they were effectively given two free shots at goal from twelve yards as a result of it.

Cannonball mentioned the pre-match build-up as well. Perhaps it was because it was so rare actually being home first, but there was a real buzz about the place. At 2.30 there were already a fair few in the ground and I can't remember the last time our players were given a warm applause after the warm-up. I hope that's a regular thing, regardless of result. I also didn't hear many dissenting voices at full-time despite the result. Winning would have been the icing on the cake, obviously, but hopefully people will return with the matchday experience alone.

A far cry from one of our last home opening games, back in 2008 against Welling. It poured down, over 200 fewer in a stadium which didn't seem to have much excitement about it and we played appallingly, losing 4-0, our first opening day defeat in 12 years. Since then we've won a paltry two on day one.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Aug 05, 2018 7:30 pm

Yes, I thought there was a good buzz about the place and good expectations beforehand. I think that perhaps this was because we have what looks like a good and, seemingly, settled team. No-one was underestimating Dartford but an opening day home defeat really wasn't expected and two games away to teams with away points already on the table is making the first three games look really difficult. Two losses and attracting people a week Saturday looks difficult. That is the problem for all involved in improving attendances and the match day experience. You can give it all you've get, get the people in and the football - not necessarily the team - will let you down. Either that or the weather.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next