Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Old Bath City Supporters Social Club House

5 posters

Go down

Old Bath City Supporters Social Club House Empty Old Bath City Supporters Social Club House

Post by Freeview Joe Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:00 pm

A question for the older generation of Bath City fans (and to yet again settle my ever enquiring mind)

Can anyone tell me where the Bath City Supporters Social Club House was? (The pavilion type building which featured on the front cover of City match day programmes in the late 1950s / early 60s?) was it at the ground or somewhere nearby? ... Is it even still standing?

From reading some old match day notes, it mentions an up and coming visit by 'Mr Docherty, the Bristol City Manager, who will be visiting The Club House at The Recreation Ground ... Was it at The Rec? (a bit of a walk for an after match pint if it was, not to mention it being egg chasing territory)

Any historical information will be gratefully received!
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Old Bath City Supporters Social Club House Empty Re: Old Bath City Supporters Social Club House

Post by Manchester Romans Sun Jun 10, 2018 8:26 pm

I’ve always assumed the building on the programme cover was the cricket pavilion on the Rec. Whether that was used by the football SC I don’t know, but it would have given us a welcome presence in the centre of town.

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Old Bath City Supporters Social Club House Empty Re: Old Bath City Supporters Social Club House

Post by Peter Newman Mon Jun 11, 2018 5:47 am

It was on the Rec.
I can recall as a youngster going in there to pick up some tickets for some reason. Probably for one of the special trains booked for FA Cup away games.
I vaguely recall it being close to the tennis courts and there may have been an access pathway from the main road possibly where the hotel is situated.

Not sure of bar facilities etc as too young to have used those areas.

Peter Newman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:50 am

I'm interested to know when the SC moved down to the rec and for how long. The good book describes much bad feeling between the club and Bath City's directors during the 50s but can't find mention of this relocation.

The first mention of the SC in Kerry Miller's book is around 1920 when it states that it had been formed by the two Bristol clubs to encourage the nurturing of young players in the area. It doesn't give an actual date but we must be very close to the centenary. Does anyone know?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:01 am

Many thanks all for your interesting and invaluable advice. I often wondered too if it was the same building as the cricket pavilion as the two buildings do look alike. Yes it would be good to find out how long it lasted and what became of it, as I'm presuming the building is no longer there now.
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:32 am

I started work 1970 with my first job at the Guildhall 1970-74 where I joined the Union of National & Local Government Officers (NALGO).
I remember going to the NALGO Social Club once during that period and it was a wooden building situated near tennis courts in a corner of the Rec.  I guess this may have been the same building?
I have a copy of the City v Brighton 1959 programme which features a photo of the club on the front.  Behind the club can be seen the tower of St Marys church at the bottom of Bathwick Hill.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Mon Jun 11, 2018 12:22 pm

2weirdtown wrote:I started work 1970 with my first job at the Guildhall 1970-74 where I joined the Union of National & Local Government Officers (NALGO).
I remember going to the NALGO Social Club once during that period and it was a wooden building situated near tennis courts in a corner of the Rec.  I guess this may have been the same building?
I have a copy of the City v Brighton 1959 programme which features a photo of the club on the front.  Behind the club can be seen the tower of St Marys church at the bottom of Bathwick Hill.

Cheers 2weirdtown ... I'd noticed that too but just couldn't place the church .. I wondered if it was St. Mike's and All Angels, but you're right, it is St. Mary the V. ... So that would definitely place the club on the bowls club side of The Rec.
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down