Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Ciy v. St.Albans

+13
sned
stillmanjunior
suffolkexile
Dave
LB
BenE
Dusty Lynfield
comrade powell
Beau Nash
Micawber
OliverH
yuffie
Luton Roman
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Ciy v. St.Albans Empty Ciy v. St.Albans

Post by Luton Roman Sat Aug 13, 2016 4:39 pm

City finally get their season up and running 3-0 with time running out, Chas, Manny and Fleetwood.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Ciy v. St.Albans Empty Re: Ciy v. St.Albans

Post by Luton Roman Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:03 pm

Att 379?? according to Chronicle.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:07 pm

Yep. Good win. Average performance. Poor gate.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Sat Aug 13, 2016 5:46 pm

I counted about 450 people but yes very low gate. I'm literally heading out right now to put up more posters in town!

EDIT: if you have a colour printer, print a few off and put them up in the shops / pubs on your street:

http://www.bathcityfc.com/fixture_poster_2016.jpg
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:00 pm

I think the 2nd home game in 4 days was always likely to be sparsly attended. Many people cant afford to pay the high admission cost twice in a week and so were most likely to choose the Weston S-M game. Add in the fact that we lost the local derby, relatively few away fans ( I presume), and a saturday when quite a few are still away on their holidays , and so a very low crowd was a distinct possibility.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Disappointing attendance, but possibly four reasons:
Opponents St Albans, holiday season Saturday with good weather and those going or returning not able to attend, two games in a week finances, the past two results.
(I forgot to change my "Guess the Gate" prediction  Crying or Very sad to 456)

WSM attendance was for me, as expected, four reasons:
Large following from WSM, holiday season but people at home on a beautiful week day evening, big local derby, City first home game.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:21 pm

I would argue there weren't many more visiting fans there on Tuesday than from St Albans. The difference was in the number of home fans attending and the usual reasons will be given for their non attendance in August. But of course Tuesday's disappointing result will have been a major factor. Win at Truro and Bish and the queues will stretch down the high street for the glamorous visit of Whitehawk!
The important thing today was the result not the crowd. Yes, St Albans were pretty dreadful but there were some good performances from City players. Special mention for Chas who always looks so comfortable playing at the back.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:34 pm

There were a lot around various parts of the ground Tuesday, including a group of 20 or so on the Poplar side and with probably 50 behind the goal; there were four guys sat behind me and others in the main stand and enclosure.  I wasn't there today but I expect most of the St Albans supporters were behind the goal.  

I agree with comrade that positive results will bring back the City absentees.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:40 pm

There were 597 online near the end of the game at BCIR, from all parts of the world including regulars on holiday and at least one St Albans supporter who was in Fuerteventura. sunny
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Sat Aug 13, 2016 6:40 pm

I think the reason for low attendance too is that this is the peak August weekend for people either going or coming back from holiday. I have just gone away and hence missed today.....gutted, I'm really pleased for Chas and would have loved to have celebrated a goal from him....!!!
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:07 pm

Yes anecdotally a lot of the people I usually see at matches weren't there for various reasons e.g. weddings, holidays
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Aug 13, 2016 8:59 pm

I thought GO made one poor decision -taking off Watkins and leaving McCootie on. Watto was causing mayhem at the time while Coots was clearly exhausted. Fair play to him though he never gave up.

I know Batten was poor on Tuesday but I was surprised he was dropped. Was he under the weather? But Chas was pretty solid with Man Mountain although they were't particularly tested by the St Albans forward line.

Fleetwood actually looked interested - if only he had taken the chances offered to him pre-season to get fit. Well worked opening for his goal from Bowman and Hutch. And we scored from a corner!!!!
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:00 pm

As on Tuesday, we were much better in the second half than the first - apart from Chaz's goal and the foul on Morgan right on the edge of the box the first half sort of drifted by.

At 1-0 I felt we were hanging on a bit, but the sending off and Manny's goal coming so close together changed the game and after it went 3-0 it became a bit of an exhibition.

Although St Albans were pretty poor, there were some good individual performances from City, particularly I thought Manny Monthe and Naby Diallo, and it was good to see Stuart Fleetwood get on the scoresheet.

As for the crowd, I haven't checked my records but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the lowest for a Saturday league game - I know there have been lower ones for midweek games, and possibly for early round cup games.

I think one of the reasons, as others have said, is that a lot of people are away at this time of year, and it is one of the problems of the season starting so early. I think this is inevitable with the play-offs extending the season, but I think the league should look into starting a couple of weeks later next year.

It would be interesting to know how many people who were at the Weston game didn't turn up today because of that result rather than because they were on holiday/attending a wedding etc. It certainly shows what a mountain the group hoping to get gates of 1000 has to climb.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:15 pm

Certainly noticed a lack off kids and families in general around today compared to Tuesday night and even some of the pre season games, I wonder if the removal of the £20 family deal has had an impact? Essentially a 50% increase for a family of four this season which is a real shame

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by suffolkexile Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Just got home from a 450 mile round trip today. 1st visit to TP for quite a while but well worth it!!

suffolkexile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:39 pm

LB wrote:As for the crowd, I haven't checked my records but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the lowest for a Saturday league game - I know there have been lower ones for midweek games, and possibly for early round cup games.

The lowest Saturday league home attendance on record was 358 on 2nd May 1987 against Frickley Athletic. It was our fourth home game in a row to end the season, we were safely in mid-table and Frickley were already down.

We won 4-2.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Sat Aug 13, 2016 9:54 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
LB wrote:As for the crowd, I haven't checked my records but I wouldn't be surprised if this was the lowest for a Saturday league game - I know there have been lower ones for midweek games, and possibly for early round cup games.

The lowest Saturday league home attendance on record was 358 on 2nd May 1987 against Frickley Athletic. It was our fourth home game in a row to end the season, we were safely in mid-table and Frickley were already down.

We won 4-2.

You are @BathCityOpta and I claim my £5. Very Happy
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:02 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:

We won 4-2.

I knew you would save me having to look it up!

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Aug 13, 2016 10:03 pm

OliverH wrote:
stillmanjunior wrote:

We won 4-2.

You are @BathCityOpta and I claim my £5. Very Happy

Indeed, although my tweet on there was slightly different I think. Couldn't think of ways to word it. Tired.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Sat Aug 13, 2016 11:03 pm

BenE wrote:I thought GO made one poor decision -taking off Watkins and leaving McCootie on. Watto was causing mayhem at the time while Coots was clearly exhausted. Fair play to him though he never gave up.

I know Batten was poor on Tuesday but I was surprised he was dropped. Was he under the weather? But Chas was pretty solid with Man Mountain although they were't particularly tested by the St Albans forward line.

Fleetwood actually looked interested - if only he had taken the chances offered to him pre-season to get fit. Well worked opening for his goal from Bowman and Hutch. And we scored from a corner!!!!

Fleetwood was definitely interested and vocally delighted to score as proved by his celebration today!

I feel we played better than a few on here seem to be giving credit for. Don't think the defence gave much away, we controlled the midfield better than usual and didn't look quite so afraid to have some shots on goal. Shaquille Hunter looks decent but I can't see him starting any time soon due to Watkins playing well and Marv being a big money signing of sorts.

Just need to get a defender or two possibly on loan and we'll be sorted! Possibly a sub goalie too if we can afford it.

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:10 am

St Albans forum complimentary about the homework, organisation and discipline of the team...and 2 lumps up front!

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:38 am

There wasn't much in it for the first 30 minutes. It looked like a fairly poor game between two weak teams. Scoring first was crucial and then getting to half time with a lead. I was pleased with the rearrangement of the furniture at the back. Chas and Manny won their headers at the back, and of course both contributed with very welcome goals. Dan Bowman is a far better right back than Rigg suggested he could be. Dan read the game well, was quick and cleared up several dangerous situations. He was surely another contender for man of the match.
I think GO got his substitutions right. Watkins' high energy approach needs nursing with two games in a week, whilst Nick's early exit from the Weston game meant he needed to carry the burden this time. Great to see Hunter make another telling contribution and I thought Hutchinson did well too. Fleetwood cemented the good impression he made on Tuesday night with another lively cameo.
Today's worries include Phillip's rash forays out of goal and another sluggish and ineffective performance from Captain Marvel. However the 'I don't know where the goals are coming from' got a nice answer.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Sun Aug 14, 2016 5:35 am

The astute clearance when Phillips was off his line was the turning point for me and the Hutchinson/Bowman link-up to set up Fleetwood  was a joy to behold!

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:22 pm

The St Albans reporter had plenty of time to write up this erudite summary.

http://m.stalbansreview.co.uk/sport/14681427.Herd_sent_packing_as_Romans_rout_the_Saints/

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:40 pm

Luton Roman wrote:St Albans forum complimentary about the homework, organisation and discipline of the team...and 2 lumps up front!

I loved this comment...

That's the last time I am going to Bath. I've spent enough over the years to watch us there, somewhere in the region of well over 1K if I add everything up and we are not getting anything back from the team.

Sounds like Junior about Eastleigh!

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next