City v Street

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: City v Street

Post by kermit on Thu Nov 12, 2015 12:24 am

Marc Monitor wrote:The point about a county FA is, quite simply, to administer the regional football from junior football - where it is necessary - to local non-league Saturday and Sunday teams, leagues and cup competitions along with all the attendant officials. Members of county FAs are, as far as I know, volunteers and, as such, if their work was passed up the line, it would either have to be done by national volunteers - unlikely, inefficient and unnecessary - or an expansion of paid positions to cover the work  - very unlikely.

The Somerset Cup, like all county cups, is there to provide all regional teams with a knock-out competition on the assumption that they are quickly knocked out of or ineligible for the national competitions. Imagine if Rovers had stayed down for another couple of seasons, we were again drawn away to them and they just gave us the tie without playing it or the now pretty big Conference teams with league history voted to get rid of the Trophy.

As Yuffie has alluded, it is there, it is fairly clear what approach we are going to take to it and no-one is forcing anyone to go - hence the small crowd last night who seem to have enjoyed it to a certain extent and for different reasons.
I think you will find that Rovers play in the Gloucestershire Cup. But that is not relevant to your post!

kermit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Thu Nov 12, 2015 9:01 am

As have Bristol City, but they also competed in the Somerset Cup. Maybe they were told not to be so greedy....
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sean on Thu Nov 12, 2015 1:56 pm

I don't think any fan of any club cares about the county cups. I seem to remember a few years ago, when Man City won the league for the first time (in the modern era), they played Man United in the final of their local cup a few days later. The game was televised, probably on some dodgy internet stream. I don't recall anything about the game, apart from the ground was virtually empty. So even at the very top of the English game, between two big rivals, no fan is interest in these pointless cups.

sean

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Thu Nov 12, 2015 2:47 pm

I expect Clevedon, Taunton, Frome Town, Welton Rovers, Glastonbury, Bridgwater Town, Minehead, Keynsham Town, Mangotsfield United, Brislington all care about the County Cup.

Who has won it most - us, Rovers, City or Yeovil?
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by John barnes on Sun Nov 15, 2015 7:34 pm

Took words out of my mouth, 3 decent goals and yes new signee Miles John looks a promising player! I too thought his pace trickery and crosses was too much for street to deal with. I was also impressed with his energy up and down the pitch and vocal, even though we were losing he still believed in the team and encouraging his team members to keep going. I'm looking forward to seeing him in action again!

John barnes

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Nov 15, 2015 10:52 pm

Wrong forum, perhaps?
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:51 pm

If only we had these cup games to look forward to.......
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Sun Nov 29, 2015 4:55 pm

A February home game against a Western League side in front of 100-odd? No thanks.
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:12 pm

The way things are going that might be what you get every week
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Sun Nov 29, 2015 5:16 pm

Rolling Eyes Sure, right.
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by MattC on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:04 pm

The quality of football suggests that we are playing at at least 1 level above the ability/commitment of the current squad and it's arrogant of the club to put so little effort into 'minor' competitions when people pay money to get through the gates. If we have to be in the competition, lets go out there an win it, it's what sport is about.

There is clearly a lack of budget and investment but this doesn't apply when we constantly lose to teams in leagues below us. As one of many long time loyal supporters of the club, all I want to see is some effort and the hope that there may be some glory at the end of it. Morale looks low in the squad and it is the managements jobs to improve this and if they can't, then someone else needs to take over or risk losing the legacy of all the good things that have happened.

The 'can't be bothered attitude' seems to to prevail through the club, and it's increasingly the way I'm feeling about going to any more games this season.

Mostly Grumpy

MattC

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:17 pm

I agree with most of this except no matter how much I think it I always go to the next game.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Sun Nov 29, 2015 7:56 pm

MattC wrote:The quality of football suggests that we are playing at at least 1 level above the ability/commitment of the current squad and it's arrogant of the club to put so little effort into 'minor' competitions when people pay money to get through the gates. If we have to be in the competition, lets go out there an win it, it's what sport is about.

But prices for the Street game were slashed and barely anyone turned up. Attendances in it are always around the 100-mark, so it's little effort all-round I would say.

If the rewards are greater for winning the Somerset Premier Cup then I'd be all for us going for it and fielding our strongest team more often. As it goes I go to game a bit like I would in a skittles tournament - it'd be quite nice to win but if not I can sleep easily.

I don't mind if I'm categorised in the 'can't be bothered' so-called camp to be honest. On a personal level I have more important things to worry about during the next six months or so. It's the only season ever where I've not been livid at early cup exits. Completely selfish as I know it has cost the club thousands but that's just my feelings at the moment. I might change if we're embroiled in a promotion/relegation battle by April.
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:07 pm

I think the problem is summed up in your penultimate sentence, Junior. Cup competitions are seen nowadays solely for what money can they bring in. 'Who cares if we have to play at noon on a Sunday - the games on BT so that's more money for our club.' So competitions with small monetary rewards are treated with disdain by clubs and fans.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Nov 29, 2015 8:19 pm

It's a self fulfilling prophecy. If everyone knows that it is a weakened team being put out and a cup or trophy is a lesser priority, attendances are going to fall accordingly.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:00 pm

On one hand people are crying out for youth team and fringe players to be given a chance, which is what happened against Street.

On the other hand they want full-strength teams for these matches.

scratch

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Nov 29, 2015 9:53 pm

That is slightly different though and I think you know it. People are crying out for youth team players and fringe players to be brought through to the first team so that we aren't keeping them on the books to warm the bench. An either/or of exclusively playing youth/fringe players or exclusively full-strength players for the cup isn't what anyone is asking for.

I have no real opinion either way but am pointing out that the attendances will be low if it is known that just youth/fringe players are playing.

If we are playing only fringe/youth players in the Somerset Cup to concentrate on successful campaigns in the League, the FA Cup and Trophy, all well and good but, you know....
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:24 pm

Well, I think history suggests that even when we used to field largely first teams in the competition crowds were rarely over 200 in the early rounds. Only in the latter rounds (played when it was generally warmer) or if we faced Yeovil or either Bristol club did they go up a bit - but even then not to the league average.

For what is worth the line-up against Street seemed about a perfect mix of options.

Artus, Simpson - 1st team players back from injury
Williams, John, Yeoman, Watkins - had mainly been on the bench in recent games
Grosvenor, Perry, Hackett - youth/academy team
Rollo - one more game nearer 500
Phillips - only played as Barrington injured
Trego - okay, not sure about that one

And Dan Bowman's debut was in the Somerset Premier Cup so it can be a path to the 1st team.

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:41 pm

To me, that looks like academy/fringe players/players coming back from injury. Absolutely fine but that is why the attendances are down. Also, as I say, if the teams are weakened in the Somerset Cup so that we can really focus in League/Cup/Trophy success, then that is fine.

As it goes, if we got 200 on a Tuesday/Wednesday night for the Somerset Cup, that is pretty good. We only got about 100 more for the Gloucester City FA Trophy replay and a couple of midweek Tuesday matches last season.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Palms on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:21 pm

It's the Somerset Cup, the 11 on the pitch will never have a noticeable bearing on the attendance. I can't be arsed to look it up but the final in 2008, that we won, at home, on a balmy April/May evening, with a full strength side and Birdy on the verge of making history and breaking a goalscoring record, there were barely 200 of us there...
Palms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Nov 29, 2015 11:23 pm

Like I say, 200 is OK for what it is. It was 241 though. Worth turning the floodlights on and opening the bar for, I would have thought.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BathMan on Mon Nov 30, 2015 10:02 am

We are talking about a game against a low table team from the Toolstation League that got beat Saturday by Odd Down.

Not sure but our setup and players mentioned above should have delivered against them. Mostly players that represent the club at Conference level plus three kids from the Uni team (not our under 21 as people call them, but college kids looking to get back to at semi pro football back in their home area when finished their course)

Pride in not loosing, wearing your club colours, seems not to be mentioned here no matter what competition you play in.

BathMan

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:02 am

I'm proud to see some of the fighting comments on here for the SPC. Hopefully by this time next year we would have safely seen our way past Larkhall in front of nearly 1,000 at TP whilst someone else has compiled a full matchday programme.
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:05 am

I think Street fans would be proud (and amazed) that the thread for this game in the dinosaur cup has run to five pages.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Mon Nov 30, 2015 11:19 am

They may have more to play for this season.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top