Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Street

+19
Sir Ged Roddy
SASCHA
Roman Mike
sean
A36
Manchester Romans
Marc Monitor
yuffie
Jon_BOA
Ashley
Ian Jones
kermit
pete mac
BenE
stillmanjunior
Steve Whites Missus
2weirdtown
Colin Voutt
comrade powell
23 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

City v Street Empty City v Street

Post by comrade powell Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:06 pm

I thought there would be several posts looking ahead to tonight's game. I wonder if any 1st teamers will play, if the gate will top 100 and if 2 of the latest signings will actually start.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

City v Street Empty Re: City v Street

Post by Colin Voutt Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:36 pm

comrade powell wrote:I thought there would be several posts looking ahead to tonight's game. I wonder if any 1st teamers will play, if the gate will top 100 and if 2 of the latest signings will actually start.  

You will know the answer to all these question by tomorrow morning.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Nov 10, 2015 2:40 pm

Thank you, but the point of my post was to promote debate.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:29 pm

I'd expect to see Sekani, Frankie, Jimmer and the 2 new boys only from the '1st team'.  Possibly plus Brad Williams.
Win by a couple of goals in front of 80 diehards/desperates (that might include me)
Smile
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:32 pm

Bath Chronicle via Lee Howells states Miles John and Ashley Yeoman will be starting.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:53 pm

Ooh so the game has a mention in the Chron. I'll up my gate prediction to 85.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Nov 10, 2015 4:59 pm

It'll go to extra time. The more pointless the game, the more likely it'll last 120 mins. If we are drawing on 90 mins I'll just want anyone to score.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Nov 10, 2015 5:00 pm

Colin Voutt wrote:
comrade powell wrote:I thought there would be several posts looking ahead to tonight's game. I wonder if any 1st teamers will play, if the gate will top 100 and if 2 of the latest signings will actually start.  

What a bizarre post! You could come up with that sort of response for anything in which case.

'How do people think we will get on today?'
'We will know by 5pm' etc
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Tue Nov 10, 2015 6:40 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
Colin Voutt wrote:

What a bizarre post! You could come up with that sort of response for anything in which case.

Martin will not be at the game - a pointless cup match.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:20 pm

I enjoy these cup games. They are often entertaining and you regularly see our midfielders going more than 4 miles an hour (Kington / Hemmings?)
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Nov 10, 2015 7:37 pm

Colin Voutt wrote:
stillmanjunior wrote:
Colin Voutt wrote:

Martin will not be at the game - a pointless cup match.

Correct, I won't be at the game. Attending a Bid meeting. If it gives players on the fringe of the team an outing, then hopefully it won't be pointless. My irritation with this competition is its format, which could easily be improved.
Anyway, Colin, I look forward to reading your comments about the game.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:53 pm

It's 1-1at HT

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue Nov 10, 2015 8:53 pm

Plus Oxford 2. Down

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:41 pm

Lost 3 - 1
So did Oxford
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Nov 10, 2015 9:53 pm

Quite an entertaining game to watch. Well deserved win for Street who scored 3 good goals.
Nowt much to say about City, though I thought Miles John looks a tidy player. Very quick and put a number of good crosses in.
Bit of atmosphere provided by a vocal away support.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:05 pm

It wasn't cold, there wasn't extra time and we haven't got to worry about this for another year. An ideal night's work.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Jones Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:30 pm

Football supporters everywhere complain and moan about teams in the top flight putting competitions down including the league and FA cup by fielding an inferior squad with the hope of maybe going out.

How is this different?, I'd guess some of those who complain about the bigger teams are the same who think this competition is way below us and better off out of it in the same way a Top 4 premiership team might feel about the cups mentioned above.

Ian Jones

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Tue Nov 10, 2015 10:36 pm

At least those bigger cups give players and fans the chance of a showpiece final compared to a night out in Weston!

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:01 pm

Sort of what Ashley said. I can imagine the prize money in this is similar to what was taken on the 50-50 tonight. The games are played on winter nights, usually cold, which does little to gain appeal. The whole competition needs a major rethink (or for a start at least scrap extra-time) but it'll never happen. 122 there tonight and the only people who seemed to care were the gathering of Street kids who I think overdosed on Haribos Tangfastics before the game. I think they, and the players, celebrated more at the end than Harlow the other week.

The fact is if we'd lost a player through a bad injury in a game like that, when we have a couple of tricky league matches coming up, I would have been livid. Simpson came off early on, maybe as a precaution. It's good to give some of the Development Squad, and Jim, a run-out, but otherwise it's like a training session basically.

And Peter Trego became the first sportsmen I've seen play competitive cricket and football in 1000-odd games I've attended. I think.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Nov 10, 2015 11:18 pm

Well Adie Britton likened Somerset Cup matches to training sessions a few years ago and that signalled the end of my interest (along with a spineless performance at Frome)

Yes, it does need a revamp, but FAs don't tend to be proactive.

However, I agree with Ian. This belittling of competitions has filtered down from the top levels. The FA Cup is now seen by clubs solely as a way of making money. Well done to FCUM and their fans for telling BT what they thought of it last night. One of the highlights of last season for me was the sight of Seville's players and fans celebrating another Europa League title. None of the sneering attitude towards the competition shown by Premiership clubs. Every May there is the mad scramble to win a place in the competition by our middling clubs - by October they are playing virtual reserve teams and moaning how the midweek games are spoiling their league aspirations.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Nov 11, 2015 12:00 am

I would like to see how we react to this competition if we could play, say, even only the first two rounds in pre-season (they'll never do the whole thing). Going by some of the players we fielded tonight, I'm assuming there aren't strict instructions on registering players? Teams could field trialists.

Maybe have the quarter finals in April, with the semis and final over a Bank Holiday weekend in May? Unless we're in the play-offs or something, if so we could throw the Development Squad/Academy/supporters in. If not it'll be nice to try and win something if we're trophyless. Honestly they have to do something, it isn't getting better.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Nov 11, 2015 8:53 am

It was quite clearly treated like a training game by everyone associated with the club - including the announcer not thanking the away support, which was terrific.

Simmo only played about seven minutes. Trego made his 1 appearance for city ever. It seemed Jimmer was the only proper defender in the team and he merely demonstrated that his best days are long behind him. Yeoman was woeful. Williams merely demonstrated that he is a poor man's Kington. McCootie demonstrated yet again that he isn't an impact sub - when he comes on as sub he is most likely to get sent off.

The three best players on the pitch were their 9 10 and 11, we scored from a cheap penalty and their goalie had one shot to save in the second half.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:11 am

[quote="2weirdtown"]Nowt much to say about City, though I thought Miles John looks a tidy player.  Very quick and put a number of good crosses in.[quote]

I was going to say something similar, I think the positive for me was Miles John, but I do wonder if his diminutive stature means he is never going to make the cut at non-league (I know Messi etc., aren't hulking monsters, but lets all agree the a certain physique tends to be needed in our leagues).

Yeoman seemed to confirm my fears when we got him on loan, to put it politely I don't think we'll be extending his loan past the month expiry date!

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Nov 11, 2015 9:21 am

Fair summary of the game.

Only other things I'd add was Miles John did okay, getting more into the game as it went on, and it was good to see Frankie get 75 minutes and score another well taken penalty. Agree that the penalty was soft but given the stonewall one we should have had just before half-time that soon evened itself out. My picture seconds later (just after their player threw himself in the air like he'd trod on a live wire) shows what both teams thought of the referee.

City v Street 22744063630_768c50340a

Oh, and for the first time in about 5-6 years on the touchline I get clattered into by a player. Luckily it was only the slightly built Nick McCootie so it didn't hurt at all affraid  

(though I made sure I got the camera out of harms way)

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Nov 11, 2015 10:07 am

I can see points from either side about this. I think that the solution from the club (which I think is more or less being done) is to make it clear in advance the priority the Cup is, what players are going to be playing (fringe/Academy players, certainly no-one whose injury could affect the season) and let people choose whether they are going to go accordingly. I expect nothing much can be done about ticket prices as it is a 50:50 split. Away supporters already know how teams like City treat the competition so won't complain especially as they get to play at Twerton Park, have the opportunity of claiming a 'scalp' and further progress in a competition that means more to them.

As far as the FA is concerned, I expect playing it earlier amongst the pre-season friendlies makes sense - increasing attendances and the possibility of the larger clubs using some of their first-team players for a more competitive run-out. Getting rid of extra-time certainly makes sense. They are all evening games, held in months that are not as mild as now and extra-time clearly benefits more conditioned players like ours. Other than that, I am not sure what they can do.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next