Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Basingstoke

+12
Elmore James
Steve Whites Missus
Marc Monitor
Luton Roman
Twerton Park Magic
Maurice Ashman
SASCHA
comrade powell
pete mac
yuffie
BenE
2weirdtown
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

City v Basingstoke Empty City v Basingstoke

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Oct 02, 2015 11:33 am

After the glamour of the cup it's back to the bread and butter tomorrow. Given we're not in great form exactly, it's somewhat fortuitous (I hope) we play winless 2nd from bottom Basingstoke.
Perhaps roared on by hordes of newly arrived Twerton Mill residents attracted by the £1.00 entrance fee, we can grab 3 points?
Important to get sorted in the light of Nicho's departure, especially with the highly important next FA cup round looming. A good cup run can only help towards sorting things out off the pitch which is surely the number one priority.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

City v Basingstoke Empty Re: City v Basingstoke

Post by BenE Fri Oct 02, 2015 1:49 pm

Glamour is probably stretching it a bit but judging by the amount of activity on here seems to generate more interest amongst the faithful.

I don't think I'm the only one who would like to see Pratty rested for this one.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:28 pm

I would be surprised if Pratty is dropped. His general contribution to the team has been as good as ever it is just his finishing that has been lacking. And the only place he will overcome that is on the pitch.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

City v Basingstoke Empty Win

Post by pete mac Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:31 pm

Feels like a game we ought to win. A defeat will drop us out of the top 5 and undo all the glory of the 6 win start.

I think Dave Pratt will play as he just needs a goal to get his confidence going. He is also one of the best defenders in the team!!!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:51 pm

I wonder who will fill the left back slot?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri Oct 02, 2015 2:56 pm

Gallinagh?

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:27 pm

Yep, I imagine he'll switch across and Dan Bowman will come in as right back.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Oct 02, 2015 4:30 pm

Although we are going to miss Nicholson, and possibly Baldwin, the one consolation is that Bowman should get to start more frequently. I feared that he was being viewed as a utility player who simply filled the gaps as they arose. He has rarely let us down and deserves a run in the team now.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

City v Basingstoke Empty city v basingstoke

Post by SASCHA Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:11 pm

Absolutely agree with Martin about Dan Bowman.
The lad is not a complete player by any means and still has a bit to learn.
However he is more than capable of fitting into this team and deserves a regular place. I would actually put him ahead of Sekani as Dan is the future and I fear Sekani will soon need to move aside.

As for Pratty and all this about needing a rest.
We are now playing once a week, the man is only 28 and therefore more than capable to running his balls off for 90 minutes. Only wish Chelsea had a few players with his enthusiasm.

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:21 pm

2weirdtown wrote:I wonder who will fill the left back slot?
Simmo was on the bench at Bodmin. I gather he has been training hard this week!

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Park Magic Fri Oct 02, 2015 5:27 pm

Can't wait to see Simmo back in action again.

Twerton Park Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:35 pm

Yeh, I really think it's time to give Bowman a run.  I agree he's not really fulfilled the perceived potential as yet but he's never had a stinker either.  Has always done a job - when fit.  Maybe that's an issue as he's had a couple of lay-offs there.  Time to push on and see what he can do long term?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Oct 02, 2015 10:40 pm

pete mac wrote:
I think Dave Pratt will play as he just needs a goal to get his confidence going. He is also one of the best defenders in the team!!!

Dave just needed a goal when we played havant which he got. Hopefully the next one will get him back on track.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Oct 03, 2015 1:09 pm

Perhaps Danny Barrow will make an appearance today?
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 03, 2015 2:42 pm

Pratt starts, Barrow on bench.

Team is Phillips,Simmo,Gallinagh,Coupe, Ball,Chas,Kington, Artus,Pratt, McCootie,Davies,
Subs are Watkins,Bowman, Allen,Addlesbury,Barrow.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:23 pm

Ft 0-0. Best/ only stat of the day crowd 779. Will they return? Least Harlow scout wouldn't have learned much.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Oct 03, 2015 5:43 pm

The negatives. Since we beat Havant at the end of Igust an awful stuttering and stumbling 6 games without a win.

The positives -2 defeats in 12 and 4th in the league.

Spark needed starting next week

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:12 pm

And just 3 goals in 6 league games. Strong evidence today that things need changing, concentrating on that lumbering midfield. As he did at Maidstone, Barrow added the missing sparkle when he belatedly appeared and surely deserves a start next week.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:30 pm

There is no beating about the bush here - we were bloody terrible today and I don't often say this. Pratt, McCootie and Watkins just had nothing, Chas had a 'mare, Davies wasn't in it at all. I thought that the defence did well but so many of their crosses came in on our right back side. I thought that Simmo did well and got forward pretty good for someone who has just come from injury. I thought that Coupe, Gallingah, Ball all did well if unspectacularly. Bowman failed to impress as he usually does when he came but Barrow showed some good touches.

To be honest, I am overthinking it, we were crap. I doubt we will have won over any students and Basingstoke will feel hard done by that they didn't get more than a point. They didn't drag us down to our level today, they brought the football to us. Just rubbish.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:44 pm

Social media saying the same thing. A spur to improve next week

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Oct 03, 2015 6:51 pm

If you keep doing what you did, you'll keep getting what you got.

It strikes me when things are not happening no one knows what to do to change it for the better.

Need some fresh ideas.....

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sat Oct 03, 2015 7:14 pm

What has happened? We looked like a team at the bottom of the league today. No direction, no fight, no ideas, need I go on?
Thank goodness we had that run at the start, otherwise we'd be in deep sch you know what.
Really don't think the manager (who ever it may be) has a clue how to maintain the winning start. The team has taken a massive step back.

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:00 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:There is no beating about the bush here - we were bloody terrible today

Quite. I was one of the ones who tried to maintain a sense of proportion when we were winning and was shot down in flames. I said then there were problems and no one wanted to hear it. As powell says the midfield is pedestrian. Do hemmings and kington realise you are allowed to run? Poor artus was knackered by the end he had done so much running as was pratt. We cannot expect our striker to be doing the work for the midfield.

By consensus we are better when we play it on the ground so why do we keep launching it for our forwards to chase? Basinstoke were weak so why didn't we play them off the park? Where is the leadership? Where are the tactics?

Unless something is done we face an ignominious slide down the table.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 03, 2015 11:26 pm

I know I am prone to go overboard at times about young players, but the immediate difference following Bowman's and Barrow's introduction was surely evident. Suddenly the ball was being moved about far more quickly with both seeming to sense attacking opportunities which weren't there previously. As I posted before, I think Dan has already been labelled the utility player of the squad - Barrow looks too good for such a role with short cameo appearances. Before we know it, he'll be loaned out to get match time...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Oct 04, 2015 12:17 am

It was a very poor performance, but we did start to look more dangerous once we upped the pace and Barrow certainly helped. It wasn't just about tactics and formation though as there were so many poor touches too. Don't see how Basingstoke could feel hard done by because they didn't have a single shot on target. Not that we were much better. Here's hoping the mojo returns next week.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next