Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Torquay United's new player / manager

+17
SteveS
Twerton Park Magic
turnstyle13
Manchester Romans
comrade powell
Ashley
SteveBradley
BenE
yuffie
Beau Nash
2weirdtown
Luton Roman
stillmanjunior
Roman Mike
Jon_BOA
pete mac
A36
21 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Torquay United's new player / manager Empty Torquay United's new player / manager

Post by A36 Mon Sep 28, 2015 10:14 am

Hope City got a decent transfer fee for Kevin Nicholson.

A36

Back to top Go down

Torquay United's new player / manager Empty Re: Torquay United's new player / manager

Post by pete mac Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:29 am

That's a blow! Still Simmo is fit.

Could be playing them next year anyway.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Torquay United's new player / manager Empty Re: Torquay United's new player / manager

Post by Jon_BOA Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:34 am

That is a massive blow, he has been easily our best player this season (in my opinion). We haven't had a proper left back since Sido, and the loss of the set piece delivery is also an issue.

Good luck to him, just a massive shame for us.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:42 am

So much for "sticking together"
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:44 am

I have said after most games this season that Nicholson is one of our most important players. He takes basically all our set-pieces and is that vital bit of experience we need when the going gets tough. He will be hugely missed, on and off the pitch. He's a top professional and really nice guy, hope it works out for him.

I expect this'll see Simpson in at right back and Gallinagh to the left. It's by no means a disaster but leaves us a bit low on numbers at the back. I wonder if we'll try and bring someone in. Will need to be quite a talent to match Nicholson's contribution.

Also, seeing as he's cup tied I presume he'll be banned from the dugout when Torquay enter in a few weeks...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:46 am

Roman Mike wrote:So much for "sticking together"

Not sure if this is tongue in cheek. I hope so.

He lives in Torquay. I expect he wants to be a manager and still has fondness for his former club. Obviously he had no idea that these sort of circumstances would arise. It looks like he has a tough job on his hands but I for one wish him all the best. If it doesn't work out I'd welcome him back with open arms.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Mon Sep 28, 2015 11:55 am

Jon_BOA wrote:That is a massive blow, he has been easily our best player this season (in my opinion). We haven't had a proper left back since Sido, and the loss of the set piece delivery is also an issue.

Good luck to him, just a massive shame for us.

Not convinced its such a "massive blow"
Undoubtedly a decent player but suspect influence more organisational than actual contribution.
I do appreciate this will be considered heresy in some quarters but all opinions are available
Never did like over dependence on the long throw. Can't remember us ever scoring from it.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:25 pm

No, the long throw wasn't as much a threat as it could have been, but I personally think he will be largely missed. We've created a number of chances/goals with his set-pieces, more than most full-backs in this league I'd imagine.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:26 pm

Feared this would happen, he has certainly made a difference, as long as he doesnt tempt Phillips to go with him.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:36 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:I have said after most games this season that Nicholson is one of our most important players. He takes basically all our set-pieces and is that vital bit of experience we need when the going gets tough. He will be hugely missed, on and off the pitch. He's a top professional and really nice guy, hope it works out for him.

I expect this'll see Simpson in at right back and Gallinagh to the left. It's by no means a disaster but leaves us a bit low on numbers at the back. I wonder if we'll try and bring someone in. Will need to be quite a talent to match Nicholson's contribution.

Also, seeing as he's cup tied I presume he'll be banned from the dugout when Torquay enter in a few weeks...

That'll be a very short managerial career then.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Sep 28, 2015 12:57 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Feared this would happen, he has certainly made a difference, as long as he doesnt tempt Phillips to go with him.

Scouts are everywhere and after the first six league games they must have focused on us so l knew it would happen as both could easily hold down a place in the Conference National; where does Steve Phillips live? Crying or Very sad
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:01 pm

Reading the Torquay forum last night he wasn't a popular option so it will be interesting their reaction now he's been appointed.

I think he will be a real loss, although I agree that the long throws never really turned out as threatening as I hoped for.

Other than quite liking the idea of playing Torquay next season I hope he does well there.

And I'm sure Mike's comment was tongue in cheek.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:39 pm

I would hope we could develop Ryan Bole maybe bring him in for a few minutes at the end of a game to see how he does.

I'd also like to see Luke Perry on the pitch too for that matter.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:40 pm

Is Simo fully fit again and ready to slot back into the team ?

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 28, 2015 1:43 pm

BenE wrote:I would hope we could develop Ryan Bole maybe bring him in for a few minutes at the end of a game to see how he does.

I'd also like to see Luke Perry on the pitch too for that matter.

I'm sure Luke Perry was a replacement for Sideshow Mel on The Simpsons once. Louis Perry is dual registration with Chippenham? Sometimes see him at the gym, he probably dashes off in fear seeing someone in a Bath City shirt lurking around.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:04 pm

Beau Nash wrote: where does Steve Phillips live?

MSN
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Mon Sep 28, 2015 2:19 pm

I guess Lee could use Nico's wages to go back to FGR for Baldwin. That would make me happy!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:15 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
Beau Nash wrote: where does Steve Phillips live?

MSN

Is that Microsoft Social Network?  lol!

Phew! It is a long way to Torquay so Mrs Phillips and family would not see much of Steve over the weekend, home or away games, don't go.
pale
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Sep 28, 2015 4:23 pm

To be honest if Nicholson did come back looking for players I think there would be quite a few ahead of a 36-year old keeper, however well he has done this season so far.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Mon Sep 28, 2015 6:51 pm

The Torquay forum is an interesting mix of meltdown and full support.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 28, 2015 8:31 pm

Hilarious read! I almost registered to point out that their new boss will use his recent experience to prepare them well for National South next year. Just hope our board push them all the way for some decent compensation...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Sep 28, 2015 9:05 pm

Yes it goes from damning the appointment as worst ever to giving 100% support.....many in the same post !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Tue Sep 29, 2015 9:48 am

It does make for quite amusing reading but if Jimmer were to become City manager then I think we'd see a similar range of opinions on here...

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Tue Sep 29, 2015 1:05 pm

Manchester Romans wrote:It does make for quite amusing reading but if Jimmer were to become City manager then I think we'd see a similar range of opinions on here...

IF?????

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Park Magic Wed Sep 30, 2015 2:33 pm

Jimmer - when??

The statement by Nico posted on the official web-site is excellent and shows respect for our club. I'm sure most (all?) supporters have appreciated his time at Twerton and understand that it's sometimes necessary to seize the moment.

I wish him luck at Plainmoor and boy will he need it.  Any team that can lose 7-3 at home to Bromley is in serious bother.

No mention of Larkhall and their disappearing players on here! Although they had one player sent off on the Saturday, there was no real animosity on the field. And finishing the replay with only 8 men did seem unlikely.

I laughed that Havant's web-site carried a complaint that their players had to heave themselves and their kit up the narrow lane to the ground as there was no way the coach was going to manage it. But 600 yards? Not really.

Twerton Park Magic

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next