Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Maidstone today

+9
stillmanjunior
OliverH
miker
BenE
Elmore James
comrade powell
pete mac
Ashley
LB
13 posters

Go down

Maidstone today Empty Maidstone today

Post by LB Sat Sep 19, 2015 9:44 pm

Can't believe that it is 9.35 and this is the first post about today's game - I accept that the hardy travellers probably aren't back yet.

Sounds as if this was another day of what might (perhaps should) have been - not quite sure what happened to the team that demolished Havant.

At the risk of being shouted down from various directions, I have to ask when does "if somebody had said we would have 21 points from 11 games we would have bitten their hand off" become "3 goals and 3 points from 5 games really isn't good enough"?

Hopefully the game at Bodmin next week will give us the chance to score some goals and regain confidence before we play Basingstoke, who still haven't won in 11 attempts.

LB

Back to top Go down

Maidstone today Empty Re: Maidstone today

Post by Ashley Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:00 pm

Certainly deserved a point with the play that we had but we don't really look like scoring. Their goal was a good finish and our defence seems fine, just need some goals.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Sep 19, 2015 10:48 pm

Yes since the peak of the Havant game we have struggled to score.

Sliding down the table but a couple of wins will see us firmly in the top 5.

Disappointing after a stellar start but we are in the mix.

Should Ebbsfleet just be handed the trophy already?

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:27 pm

The league table suggests that Dennis did us a favour by pairing us with some of the weakest teams in our opening games. The last 3 opponents have been far stronger and we have been on the back foot. Yes, we were unlucky not to have scored but had our defence not had a good afternoon, apart from the sloppy goal conceded, we could have lost by several goals. For me the midfield is far too pedestrian. Artus is way off the standards he reached last season, and I've yet to see a good game from Chas. For me the highlight was the short cameo from the new signing - lacking physique, but looks quick and skilful.
I hope we've had Bodmin watched....

Last edited by comrade powell on Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:05 am; edited 1 time in total
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Sep 19, 2015 11:36 pm

Entertaining write up of the game here...

http://www.themaidstone.co.uk
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:35 am

LB wrote:
At the risk of being shouted down from various directions, I have to ask when does "if somebody had said we would have 21 points from 11 games we would have bitten their hand off" become "3 goals and 3 points from 5 games really isn't good enough"?

One of the best questions I've read.

Set your standards high. 3 goals, 3 points from 5 games isn't good enough.

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Sep 20, 2015 5:51 pm

When we were rolling over all before us it seemed churlish to point out the evident weaknesses. I've hardly seen a game since Havant so assume the one dimensional aspect of our midfield has finally come unstuck.

Whatever happens at Bodmin we can't read too much into it. We always seem to struggle against lower league opposition in the cup.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Sun Sep 20, 2015 9:35 pm

There is an audio interview with the Stone's manager on their website. He is very complimentary towards our lads.

miker

Back to top Go down

Maidstone today Empty Maidstone success off the pitch

Post by pete mac Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:20 am

A crowd over 2000 - they must be doing something right off the pitch as well.....

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:32 am

Speaking of their pitch... verdict on the 3G experience?
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 21, 2015 9:43 am

It wasn't as big an advantage to Maidstone as I expected. I thought our lot adjusted pretty well on it and played decent football, clearly learnt that it's very difficult to do things like playing a through ball behind a back four as the ball will almost always just glide straight to the keeper/out of play. Having stood pitchside I could tell it was different to the one at Odd Down, for example, which has only been in place for around a year. It didn't feel as spongy and looked more worn.

Was it as bad as I expected? No, probably not. Would I like to see us install one? Not in a million years.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:09 am

I disagree, Junior. Having listened to people like Adie at the Pat Nevin evening talking about these pitches, I was expecting little improvement on the dreadful thing I used to experience at Loftus Road years ago. From a spectating point of view, I could see no problem whatsoever with Maidstone's. Maybe it was coincidence, but the game was fast with lots of skillful play. Will be interesting to see if they can play through a bad winter on it.

Looking at their website, it doesn't look like the community actually benefit from this resource (apart from numerous teams blow the first team and a 'lads night out' costing £500 for a glorified kick about.)

Despite that, I was very impressed with the set up. Spectator facilities are good, with an excellent main stand. I didn't have time to look at their bar but it's one of those grounds allowing drinking on the terraces.

I sensed a real buzz about the game from the moment I left the station and joined crowds making their way to the ground some 45 minutes before ko. What a difference a central location in a town makes...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:16 am

I spoke to Maidstone during the early research period of putting the bid prospectus together - they were convinced that the installation of 3G had been a major driver of increased crowds as it brought virtually every casual football player in the town in contact with the club and the stadium (central location helps obviously). That's on top of the revenues it brings in directly through pitch hire.

Interesting to hear how it affects the actual style of play though - I still haven't seen it in action in English football.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Mon Sep 21, 2015 12:20 pm

Maidstone certainly had the advantage that you would rather spend the afternoon at the football ground than in their town centre.

As for the pitch... Kev Nicholson tweeted he expected to be sore the following day. It would be worth gathering the view of the players, or Ross Stearn who will be on one all the time now.

As a spectator I saw the ball hold up in a few places where the black rubber was more prolific. I suspect this could be used as a tactic similar to leaving the grass slightly longer in places... who knows.

I recommend we allow all other clubs in the league to fit these pitches while we stay with mud and grass. That way over the winter months we can stuff the away teams who no longer have experience of playing in the trenches ;-)

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:07 pm

I didn't think it was any different to grass really, after a few minutes you forgot it was artificial.

As much as I'd always prefer to see football played on grass, if such a pitch was commercially beneficial to us it's something we might have to consider.

Those of us stood behind the goal asked their keeper what it was like to dive on during a break in play - he said it was OK and he just got used to it.

Maidstone was an enjoyable experience - from the steward when we got there telling us where the best pub was (the excellent Flowerpot) and the next one who welcomed us into the ground and showed us where everything was.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:09 pm

I have seen it and played on it at Keynsham and, after an initial 10 minutes, forgot that it is 3g. I can see the thing about the through balls going longer than one would expect but no more than a rained up pitch in August after a hot summer.

One of the joys of community ownership, of course, will be that everyone will have their voice and their say.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Mon Sep 21, 2015 1:22 pm

Their website is very informative and in-depth. Liked the section especially for first time visitors.
I note the comment - "Maidstone certainly had the advantage that you would rather spend the afternoon at the football ground than in their town centre".
That may well be but again, their website very helpful, contains a section specifically aimed at anyone wishing to make a day of it in Maidstone. Given the attractions to be found in Bath, I'm surprised there are no links to them or a section aimed at visiting fans on City's website.
I'd say that Maidstone already look like a Conference Premier outfit on this score at least.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Mon Sep 21, 2015 11:01 pm

Ashley wrote:I didn't think it was any different to grass really, after a few minutes you forgot it was artificial.

As much as I'd always prefer to see football played on grass, if such a pitch was commercially beneficial to us it's something we might have to consider.

Those of us stood behind the goal asked their keeper what it was like to dive on during a break in play - he said it was OK and he just got used to it.

Maidstone was an enjoyable experience - from the steward when we got there telling us where the best pub was (the excellent Flowerpot) and the next one who welcomed us into the ground and showed us where everything was.

Did he really dive during a break in play?

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down