Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Who did we send down? What did we learn?

+11
Bristol Mike
Marc Monitor
Peteboa
yuffie
BenE
Sir Ged Roddy
SnakebiteFernandez
2weirdtown
OliverH
comrade powell
Mark Tanner
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Who did we send down? What did we learn? Empty Who did we send down? What did we learn?

Post by Mark Tanner Sun Aug 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Just been browsing my social media and this little article came up:

http://www.theguardian.com/global/2015/aug/23/dulwich-hamlet-londons-most-hipster-football-club?CMP=share_btn_tw

It says we sent down a club official to one of their games! Lets hope we see some new bright ideas coming out of Twerton Park soon!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Who did we send down? What did we learn? Empty Re: Who did we send down? What did we learn?

Post by comrade powell Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:52 pm

I believe it was a Bid team member who paid them a visit.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Who did we send down? What did we learn? Empty Re: Who did we send down? What did we learn?

Post by OliverH Sun Aug 23, 2015 6:27 pm

Actually it was me last December, before the Bid got going and just after I joined the Society committee. I used to watch DHFC a bit when I was a London exile.

Their Supporters Trust was very welcoming - they are in an interesting position whereby a property developer is trying to buy their ground but wants to maintain a football club there, and is keen to hand it over to the trust.

It was an inspirational visit - soon after I went, the Society's energies became consumed by the bid, but there are definitely things that we can look to put into place post-Bid. For example, take a look at how clearly they've mapped their Trust's objectives:

http://dhst.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2014/08/DHST-aims-and-objectives-2014-16-FINAL-TO-PUBLISH.pdf

As you can see their Trust does a lot of work supplementing the club's regular, official promotional activity.

They were utterly aghast when I explained that we can't drink in sight of the pitch at Twerton Wink
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sun Aug 23, 2015 7:28 pm

Interesting piece about Dulwich Hamlet.  Having read it I followed a link to an equally interesting piece about Lewes.   More links and I arrived at Farnborough FC.  Oh dear, their woes continue and they (again) have been barred from starting their season.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Fri Aug 28, 2015 3:50 pm

Dulwich Hamlet Supporters Trust members will now be able to vote on ground redevelopment plans at Champion Hill, developed alongside a property developer with the medium-term aim of the trust assuming control of the club:

http://dhst.org.uk/trust-poll-plans/

This is the sort of democracy we should be aiming for as we face up to big questions around the future sustainability of Twerton Park.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by SnakebiteFernandez Sun Aug 30, 2015 4:15 pm

Regarding drinking in sight of the pitch - presumably that's allowed at National South level, as St Albans let you the other day.

FA Cup/Trophy games ban it, so I'd imagine the "No drinks outside for the FA Cup" will wind people up, and is what seemed to cause a problem at Dover last year for their security guys (so I assume they allowed it in League games) - but allow it would be a good money maker for league games surely?

We'd need to pay someone to serve though, and probably need to go through 7,000 regulations of some kind or another with the police/council etc????

SnakebiteFernandez

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Aug 30, 2015 8:38 pm

While it's ok at some grounds, it can lead to problems. Remember the yobs at Leatherhead a few years ago - that could have turned really nasty. And of course it did at Truro. But the worst I know of is just round the corner from where I live - I'm not the only one who won't set foot inside Frome's ground because of the drunken abuse visiting teams and officials receive. A quite horrible atmosphere.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sir Ged Roddy Sun Aug 30, 2015 9:19 pm

Comrade, be careful that you don't use too much very expensive internet time while you are in Italy.  Unless, of course, you are getting free Wifi from a so-called food place that I have never eaten in.

Sir Ged Roddy

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:45 am

Twerton Park is a "registered sports stadium" from the Bristol Rovers days: a Department of Media, Culture and Sport designation that cannot be removed. This prevents us from allowing alcohol in sight of the pitch, regardless of which league we are playing in.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:48 pm

Wow you really have done your homework
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:26 pm

Whilst I guess we are not in a position to be picky about who watches us do we really need people who can't go 45 minutes without wanting a drink in their hand?

And, going back to the start of this thread, hopefully we learnt how to avoid being classed as a 'hipster' club in the future.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:03 pm

You could also easily argue it would deter binge drinking in the lead up to Kick Off.

'Hipster' club or not, we could learn a lot from Dulwich Hamlet.

Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:43 pm

I don't think, whatever happens Friday, we will ever be in a position to be picky about our fans not how we are seen by the media - like hundreds of other clubs.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Wed Sep 02, 2015 9:54 am

I have watched English non-league, German & Spanish top-tier football, and what passes for top-tier football in the United States, as well as all manner of other sports, while simultaneously enjoying a pint of beer and found it to be a quite civilised and agreeable experience. I don't think of myself as being particularly degenerate for occasionally wishing I could do the same while watching my club.

But anyway it's all academic as far as TP is concerned.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:36 am

Same here. Had a lovely time watching Hadjuk Split while simultaneously having a beer (and popcorn). Croatian supporters are not known for their passive enjoyment of a game yet everything passed off fine - short of my son tipping his soft drink.

The other consideration is that, if a club keeps the bars open during the match, firstly it relieves the half-time rush and, secondly, it increases revenue for the club.

I am surprised that no club has challenged the ruling on some sort of "freedom to trade" angle.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:47 am

OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristol Mike Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:52 am

If anyone tried to challenge rules regarding alcohol at football it would instantly be quashed by the usual claims that all football fans are hooligans blah blah

Bristol Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:56 am

Well, yes, and this is the argument against safe standing even though all these arguments are challenged by the fact that alcohol in sight of the pitch and terraces work in many countries that have as bad, if not worse, hooliganism than we have or ever had - Germany, Czech Republic, Croatia etc. There is an argument that drinking in the ground stops binge drinking beforehand.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristol Mike Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:07 am

We all know that hooliganism is worse in other countries but the authorities still claim that it's an English problem, add that to the English reputation for binge drinking and that unfortunately means those of us who enjoy a few pints on a Saturday and watch football really are scum as far as the outside world is concerned

Bristol Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:22 am

Sorry, I meant to say that, of course, this is what the authorities - and the media - will say. However, this doesn't mean that these rules shouldn't be challenged. The safe standing one - that, luckily, we don't have to worry about yet - has this campaign and I note that Ipswich were calling for drinking pitchside in the Premiership
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:32 am

It's an odd message to send to first-time visitors as well - we can't have a pint on the terraces at Twerton because as football fans we're only ever a drink or two away from hooliganism, abuse and violence.
OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:42 am

Marc Monitor wrote:Sorry, I meant to say that, of course, this is what the authorities - and the media - will say. However, this doesn't mean that these rules shouldn't be challenged. The safe standing one - that, luckily, we don't have to worry about yet - has this campaign and I note that Ipswich were calling for drinking pitchside in the Premiership

Standing is allowed at non-league without any problems.  This is in direct contrast to big grounds where it is perceived as some kind of problem and not allowed.   Surely grounds there for a pilot scheme at least to allow alcohol as well at smaller and non-league grounds.

Surprised the lower leagues have not mounted a campaign given this is an obvious opportunity to boost income.

I'd also make the comment that thousands watching sport on TV in bars and at home, do so whilst inbibing.  So it's an established custom to drink whilst spectating.  It might encourage more to actually attend matches if they could have a drink there.

I note and agree with the comment it's a bad job people can't go without a drink for 45 minutes.  However, people do like a drink and that's a fact. Bath City FC and football clubs in general aren't about changing the world and may as well derive some of the income which is otherwise going to the pubcos and supermarkets.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Sep 02, 2015 11:54 am

2weirdtown wrote:
Marc Monitor wrote:Sorry, I meant to say that, of course, this is what the authorities - and the media - will say. However, this doesn't mean that these rules shouldn't be challenged. The safe standing one - that, luckily, we don't have to worry about yet - has this campaign and I note that Ipswich were calling for drinking pitchside in the Premiership

Standing is allowed at non-league without any problems.  This is in direct contrast to big grounds where it is perceived as some kind of problem and not allowed.

...in the UK.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:16 pm

It's not really about "not being able to go without for 45 mins" - I followed City for many years without ever drinking before, during or after matches, no problem. If they stopped serving food, tea, red meat etc I would be able to "go without" as well - but why restrict the choice?

Anyway this is angels-on-a-pinhead stuff as there is no prospect of this happening at TP anytime soon.

OliverH
OliverH

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:47 pm

comrade powell wrote:While it's ok at some grounds, it can lead to problems. Remember the yobs at Leatherhead a few years ago - that could have turned really nasty. And of course it did at Truro. But the worst I know of is just round the corner from where I live - I'm not the only one who won't set foot inside Frome's ground because of the drunken abuse visiting teams and officials receive. A quite horrible atmosphere.

Bridgwater was vile too - you had to walk past the bar to go to the loo and me and a few others received some disgusting abuse on the way past.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum