Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

still unbeaten

+9
Dave
stillmanjunior
yuffie
Ashley
SteveBradley
Bristol Mike
Beau Nash
Marc Monitor
BenE
13 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

still unbeaten Empty still unbeaten

Post by BenE Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:56 pm

I thought this was a banana skin waiting for us so good to get it out of the way

Last edited by BenE on Mon Aug 31, 2015 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

still unbeaten Empty Re: still unbeaten

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Aug 31, 2015 4:59 pm

Agreed. I fully expected us to lose today. Well done, City. The winning run may be over but still seven matches unbeaten and top of the league. Now for the biggest week in the club's history. The team have done their bit. Back the bid!
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Aug 31, 2015 7:39 pm

After the "Lord Mayor's Show" and I am baffled, as was Watkins, by his substitution, took a lot of pressure of Weston's defence. Shocked

A lot of long balls, not a game to last long in the memory. Weston were better than Havant but not by much.
 Crying or Very sad
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Bristol Mike Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:07 pm

The substitution of watkins changed the game, whilst the first half wasn't great we were competing, with that change we completely surrendered possession and allowed weston to dictate the game. In the end it's safe to say we escaped with a point from a game we looked destined to loose the longer it went on.

Bristol Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:54 pm

A poor and timid performance from City this afternoon. We didn't look like a team top of the table, and they didn't look like one at the bottom either.

It felt in the second half like a return to the old City - long balls up to a short forward man on his own, who is up against 3 taller and stronger defenders. End result - the ball just kept coming back up the pitch again every time.

We need to rediscover the flowing, connecting football we played against H&W last week. Playing Hemel and Gosport in the space of 4 days will be a tough test for us in 2 weeks time.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:07 pm

Disappointing today but still a great start and we'd have all taken 19 points out of 7 games before the season started.

Hopefully a few days off will let the niggles recover ready for what's probably going to be a tough one on Saturday against Dartford.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Aug 31, 2015 10:26 pm

Bristol Mike wrote:The substitution of watkins changed the game, whilst the first half wasn't great we were competing, with that change we completely surrendered possession and allowed weston to dictate the game. In the end it's safe to say we escaped with a point from a game we looked destined to loose the longer it went on.

I don't normally buy into the theory that is regularly trotted out on here that we try to sit on a one goal lead if a side pushes us back as the game goes on but I think today we did. We started with three up top then went to two and then finally one. And given we couldn't keep possession with three then Pratty on his own was never going to stand much chance. Once he was left there on his own it seemed clear that we were just trying to hold to what we had and, maybe, catch them on the break.

That we came within a few minutes of seeing this out was credit to the players but it was also a bit frustrating that once Weston settled for the point we had two chances to have won the game, which suggests that had we been a bit more adventurous in the second half we could be seven from seven.

Hey ho, it does seem a bit churlish to be complaining about dropping two points out of 21 so I will just enjoy another week at the top of the table and look forward to Dartford on Saturday.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Aug 31, 2015 11:27 pm

To be fair, I think that the intention was to keep with two up front but McCootie got a silly yellow card and they took him off for his protection. Having said that, his hamstrings probably mean that he isn't up to a full game still.

We are top of the league but we still aren't playing brilliantly. Saturday's match was as good a display as you will see at any level but, as has been the story of this season, even then we benefitted from an excellent save from Phillips and the opposing side being profligate in front of goal. Today sounded much the same. We have been winning without playing that well for the most part but, as the cliche goes, that is how you win trophies.

It can go either way, either we start tightening up our play and really winning convincingly or our weak points are really exploited by teams. On the more positive side, we are already 11 points away from Farnborough's final points total last season.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Sep 01, 2015 8:56 am

When there are ten men within 35 yards of our goal for long periods game after game then it has to be management instructions. The players can't keep ignoring contrary instructions.

I'm not particularly impressed by Davis at the moment but at least he does run it out of defence. When you just keep trying to hoof it half the length of the field for a striker to chase you inevitably give it straight back to the opposition to come back at you because all your players are still in their own half.

But we are used to this now. It isn't going to change. Fortunately Philips is a quality goalie and it is very hard to score against him.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Sep 01, 2015 12:17 pm

BenE wrote:When there are ten men within 35 yards of our goal for long periods game after game then it has to be management instructions. The players can't keep ignoring contrary instructions.

When you just keep trying to hoof it half the length of the field for a striker to chase you inevitably give it straight back to the opposition to come back at you because all your players are still in their own half.

But we are used to this now. It isn't going to change. Fortunately Philips is a quality goalie and it is very hard to score against him.

I wasn't there yesterday, were the players instructed to defend deeper? It sounds like Weston started quite brightly so would have been quite risky trying to see a game out for a 1-0.

If it was the plan then clearly it was a mistake, but having obtained six wins and a draw from our opening seven games (looking at the games on paper I thought we would obtain eight points) we should still be over the moon instead of throwing unnecessary digs. We aren't going to be unbeaten all season, we might not be unbeaten by this time next week. It's been a fantastic start and the management have brought in the right players to help us improve this term. That deserves a lot of credit. Crowds are up as well. Would have loved to have beaten Weston, obviously, but wasn't to be. Onwards and upwards. Apart from we can't go further upwards than top Smile
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:16 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
BenE wrote:When there are ten men within 35 yards of our goal for long periods game after game then it has to be management instructions. The players can't keep ignoring contrary instructions.

When you just keep trying to hoof it half the length of the field for a striker to chase you inevitably give it straight back to the opposition to come back at you because all your players are still in their own half.

I wasn't there yesterday, were the players instructed to defend deeper? It sounds like Weston started quite brightly so would have been quite risky trying to see a game out for a 1-0.

If it was the plan then clearly it was a mistake, but having obtained six wins and a draw from our opening seven games (looking at the games on paper I thought we would obtain eight points) we should still be over the moon instead of throwing unnecessary digs. We aren't going to be unbeaten all season, we might not be unbeaten by this time next week. It's been a fantastic start and the management have brought in the right players to help us improve this term. That deserves a lot of credit. Crowds are up as well. Would have loved to have beaten Weston, obviously, but wasn't to be. Onwards and upwards. Apart from we can't go further upwards than top Smile

Weston played confident attacking football from the start, and had they been better able to convert possession into chances we would have been in trouble. Our goal came against the run of play, and we then created very few chances until after they drew level.

I agree that it's been a great start, but it would be a waste not to keep it going. We could have had all 3 points on Saturday, and we need to not settle for less when the opportunity arises.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:46 pm

It's not a bad point, but unfortunately all you've succeeded in doing is leave me with "DEFEND IT CONFIDENTLY, GET IT AWAY" and other quotes from the main stand at Twerton lodged in my head Sad
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Tue Sep 01, 2015 1:53 pm

KEEEEEP EM OOOUUUUUUTTTTTTTTTTTT

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Sep 01, 2015 3:32 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:If it was the plan then clearly it was a mistake, but having obtained six wins and a draw from our opening seven games (looking at the games on paper I thought we would obtain eight points) we should still be over the moon instead of throwing unnecessary digs.

I don't call it unnecessary digs - I call it commenting on what I have seen. I saw it v Maidenhead and it is reported v WSM. Indeed versus Maidenhead there were a couple of corners when the entire team was in our own box.

Furthermore I believe it is something that if sorted out would help us to continue our strong start.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:19 pm

We scored an 87th minute against Maidenhead though with Nicholson providing an assist and a pretty packed penalty box? I just thought they were a good side and penned us back a bit rather than us necessarily inviting pressure on.

If we did indeed sit back yesterday then the tactic failed, obviously. But six wins out of seven is damn good whatever type of football we are playing.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Sep 01, 2015 5:34 pm

undoubtedly
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:08 pm

For what it is worth we are hardly unique to having supporters who:

a) automatically assume that the side has been told to sit on a one goal lead if the opposition get on top late in the game
b) if the team isn't playing great believe that they have been told to play 'hoof ball'

You read it time and again on other forums and it always assumes that the pattern of the game is solely dependent on how your team plays.

Anyway, as I was leaving yesterday a few of the usual suspects were already sharpening the knives having had to keep them hidden for so long. Even they seemed to realise have daft it sounded given the start but no doubt if we don't start winning again they will be back in their element.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue Sep 01, 2015 7:47 pm

I often think there is room for improvement, even when you are winning, but apparently not.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Sep 01, 2015 9:06 pm

It depends which way you look at it I guess. I very much doubt Bath City will win the first six games of the season again in my lifetime, so I'm enjoying it whilst I can. I also don't think I'll see us dismantle a decent side on paper 5-0 at home for a while either. Saturday's was the first time since Woking in 2009 I can remember us doing it. I'm not including scoring 7 against Farnborough twice, Nomads could have given them a decent game. Yesterday was a blip, sure, but if we just expect everything to be amazing all the time, some are going to be a bit deflated after matches.

Maybe my expectations are just too low, I don't know. I'd love it if we won every single game possible playing startling football, scoring goals galore and Steve Phillips rarely having a touch. For now I'm quite content. Certainly a lot happier than the start of last season, that was utterly painful even for someone who like me who tries to look at the bigger picture. I thought right now I'd be writing club histories on Biggleswade and Hungerford, not having to look back through all the records of when we last started so well.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Tue Sep 01, 2015 10:20 pm

stellar post Junior
Smile
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:50 pm

I think that Saturday was as good football as I have seen at any level and I don't think that we have been playing long ball at all that I remember this season. The last time we really played it in a sustained fashion was the last 6 months of the Conference season.

I have an idea that McCootie was taken off on Monday due to his having a yellow card and being a threat for a read, being knackered or both. Either way, I am not sure it was tactically orientated. Of course, once you have one up front especially when a team is pressing for a equaliser, you are going to end up knocking it long. Perhaps, with hindsight, it would have been better to take McCootie off and keep Watkins on - bearing in mind Nick's hamstring issues. However, perhaps Watkins had taken a knock or was knackered. 2 matches in 3 days is a strain (and, yes, one I know that WSM had as well).
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:21 am

Absolutely spot on Stillman. We've just won 6 (including a home hammering of a team) and drawn one, I am ecstatic, and this is way beyond my expectations.

I think you are correct Marc, I don't think leaving Pratty on his own was a tactical decision, I think it was due to Toot's booking.

On that note, can anyone with a better view than I had confirm whether it should have been a booking? I thought he'd tried to charge down a ball (perfectly legally), he didn't have his feet up, protected himself with his arms and the keeper smashed into him, I wasn't entirely sure what he did wrong, but as I said, maybe from a different angle he did look for the keeper.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Wed Sep 02, 2015 1:45 pm

You can see why he got booked as he did hit the keeper pretty hard, but it seemed a bit harsh as he was running fast towards the ball and it would have been quite difficult to stop.

Not the worst decision the referee made, glad to see he's now of Frome as it means Radstock has got rid!

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:10 pm

Ashley wrote:You can see why he got booked as he did hit the keeper pretty hard, but it seemed a bit harsh as he was running fast towards the ball and it would have been quite difficult to stop.

Not the worst decision the referee made, glad to see he's now of Frome as it means Radstock has got rid!

I'd agree. He's a big guy, and he did charge into the keeper at full-pelt - regardless of intent.

Was certainly worthy of a free kick, and not a huge surprise that it was deemed worthy of a boking tbh.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed Sep 02, 2015 3:47 pm

In these instances I wonder if the ref gives a booking and then indicates to the bench the offender is on borrowed time. Presumably McCootie was frustrated with his afternoon's work.

I don't buy the idea that clashes like this are accidental. If you run full pelt at someone you aren't going to be able to stop.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum