A surge- Big Bath City Bid

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: A surge- Big Bath City Bid

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Aug 23, 2015 4:53 pm

BenE wrote:It is not so that a bunch of people can take over the club. That way just perpetuates the current situation.

The supporter's society has organised the campaign because quite frankly no one else was going to.  I do not see anyone else on a white charger riding in to rescue the club.

This is a chance to pay off the rising debt and start again with a different model of running the club. One in which if you own a share your opinion counts equal to everyone else.

This is a brilliant point made by Ben and I just want to add one thing.

I am here at this club - gratefully - because someone in a white charger came into 'save' my old club - Cardiff City. They 'saved' it, as these owners often do, by getting the club into more debt building a stadium that they said the club would die without. In this particular case, the 'rescue' of the club came with a price - the complete destruction of its history and heritage which won't be returned by returning to its colours. Whatever happens, it is too late for me, the club is dead to me and to many of my fellow supporters. I was very lucky, I found Bath City and am actually happier now.

Our friends at Wimbledon and FC United also had to form their clubs because of "saviours" of their previous clubs and their actions. Hull City supporters are ruing the arrival of their particular "saviour" presently. So, community ownership isn't just a good thing because we haven't got a rich daddy, it is a the best way to run a club even if you were offered money by someone who was going to plough money into the club. Let's face it, if a Bath City supporter had the money to 'save' the club, he or she would have done so by now. So, any really big money would come from an outsider with motives that could end up with the destruction of the club as we know it - whether by changing the badge, the colours, the stadium or whatever. Believe me, success in the Premiership is not worth that.

If someone pulled the plug on the finances tomorrow, there would still be a club because the club is the supporters and, if the supporters own the club, the club is in good hands and has a bright future, whatever level it is playing at. You only have to look at clubs that have had the plug pulled financially on them and started again as fully or partly community-owned clubs such as Hereford and Chester. Don't get me wrong, for the club to be in the best position possible with us in our current league and staying at Twerton, the Bid has to be successful (and I am confident it will be). However, were it not to happen, community ownership is still the best option. The supporters - both at the ground and in the community - know what is best for the club. No outsider, with however much money, does.

Last edited by Marc Monitor on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac on Sun Aug 23, 2015 5:31 pm

Well said Marc

pete mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by miker on Sun Aug 23, 2015 9:32 pm

I share BenE's astonishment ref people saying they haven't invested because they don't think the bid will be successful.....talk about a self fulfilling prophesy......come on pledge your money now !!

miker

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley on Mon Aug 24, 2015 12:38 am

miker wrote:I share BenE's astonishment ref people saying they haven't invested because they don't think the bid will be successful.....talk about a self fulfilling prophesy......come on pledge your money now !!

Perhaps they're saving their money to buy the stadium for the club.

Because if the Bid doesn't work, it seems likely that the club will be forced to sell Twerton Park in order to clear its debts.

So the question for those people is - which would they prefer to take a punt on. A positive community-led future for the club that, if it doesn't work, won't cost them a penny ? Or a negative homeless future for the club, which seems a likely alternative ? Because those are the only options on the table at the moment.

SteveBradley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:52 am

If winning the first five games since WW2 is not a sign pointing the way I don't know what is.
2weirdtown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ian Jones on Mon Aug 24, 2015 10:26 am

I haven’t really been involved in this debate, I’m not at the club much these days and can’t afford even a small contribution to the scheme. That being said I do have an opinion for what it’s worth.

I must say the hard work of those involved in the bid is a credit to them and the club, a really great effort and what appears to be an OK strategy. Of course I don’t know what goes on behind the scenes but the issue for me is simple.

To reach the £750k target let alone the £1.4m target the bid cannot rely on individuals or small investors. What has been clearly missing is the bigger money, the £100k here or £50k there, it’s been said that the bigger investors need confidence in the bid before they put their money forward, surely the same goes for the individual bidder.

I have no doubt about the importance of this and the effort to reach out is excellent. The other week I mentioned that there is nothing on LinkedIn at all, the biggest business network in the World, you can connect with almost anyone on here and send what is called inmails and news stories that your whole network can see.

I had a meeting in Bristol a couple of weeks ago, I wasn’t even aware but the director of this business was an ex Bath City player, we spoke for a good couple of hours as he played during the 2008 -09 season. I can’t mention his name as he’s a client but he was surprised he hadn’t been contacted about the bid. As an ex player and now successful businessman it would make sense.

I wish the bid loads of success, as much as it’s good and a great effort by all involved a stall in Bath City centre or a 100 leaflets on a Saturday morning, a small piece in the Chronicle isn’t enough.

List all the business publications, around the South West, list all the websites, list all the radio stations, TV stations. Actively pursue key business people, talk to every ex player, announce every new business that signs up, have a barometer that shows the growth.

I also think there has to be an alignment with the real features of investing. The continued talk is always around the dark clouds looming over Twerton Park, and that the City will not have a football club, Twerton Park will have to be sold and so on…………To be honest to a business or individual who has shown no interest in the club or Twerton up to now, so what? All that means nothing.

What are the real benefits down the line, personally and for the wider City, what does it really mean, in 5 years time to that individual investor, this investment that I have made now all be it £250 or £100k, what will I get from it apart from a warm glow of satisfaction. For a die-hard fan of the club that may be enough, but for a person with no previous interest, it certainly isn’t.

One last thing. The different supporter groups and everyone who put their time in do a fantastic job, I have the utmost respect for you all. Regardless of how this pans out what the bid has shown is how a group of people can come together to make a real difference.

Sorry all, I thought you might like to see this, This is who I work for, there is a magazine, website, newsletter and events. We have a director level business reach of over 40,000 readers to the South West biggest companies so this was an example of a good story, targeted to the right audience. Regular press releases should come when a new business signs up, great for them and great for the bid.

http://www.insidermedia.com/insider/south-west/144526-football-legend-eric-cantona-backs-bath-city-buyout-bid/

That’s all folks.

Ian Jones

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:00 am

Thanks Ian, these are all good points.

Our media distribution list does extend beyond the Chronicle, for what it's worth, and a lot of the outreach to businesses is by its nature behind the scenes. From what I understand there are systematic efforts to approach such businesses and individuals, including ex-players, although of course with limited resources we're hard pushed to reach them all.

The investment narrative has been tricky, I agree. My company has invested £1000, and this was the rationale we gave:

http://www.thehouse.co.uk/blog/article/why-were-backing-the-big-bath-city-bid

The main points are:

• A community-owned Bath City FC will improve Bath’s profile as a creative, future-focused, beautifully inventive city
  • The volunteer structure and social impact programme that comes with community ownership will increase social capital, employability and ‘upskill’ local people, including the young, supporting the next generation of local talent
  • A refreshed and renewed Bath City FC will create a new, attractive marketing channel for Bath business
  • Above all, community-owned Bath City FC can become a hub for business, local authorities and the third sector to work together and tackle local challenges such as elderly isolation, health and wellbeing, independent living for the disabled, mental health and the skills gap.

But yes, if there is anything City fans reading this can do to help us land those £50K fish - contact details you can share or introductions you can make - now's the time.

Last edited by OliverH on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:07 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : added some thoughts)
OliverH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:10 am

Thanks for this, Ian - I'll make sure the rest of the Bid team see your comments. To be fair, enormous efforts have been made over the past 3 months to reach out to potential large investors and businesses but, of course, there is always a case that more could have been done. Interesting point about the ex player. I wonder if he was aware of the Bid before your conversation. Whether he was or not, I wonder why he didn't pledge his support like at least one other has done without the need 'to be contacted'.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:16 am

I think Ian makes some good points.

Attracting the 'bigger fish' is something that does not seem to have happened but I think it is vital that as many smaller investors come in as possible. Many of the bigger investors are likely to get many requests to contribute to varying projects and charities and I would think they get a bit fed up as being seen as the first point of call in many instances. If we can demonstrate that there is a lot of public backing for the bid and people at at the coal face have been doing all they can, i.e. we have been trying to help ourselves, then I think there is more chance of someone coming in. If there are any supporters holding back for whatever reason please come forward now with your pledge, even if it only for a small amount.

The other thing is that I don't think enough emphasis has been put on what a Community Club can do to help in Twerton. It could make a real difference to the area and if it can be demonstrated to the bigger investors that they are not only helping the club but also doing something to improve the lives of people in the area I think it would improve the chances of them investing.

SteveS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Mon Aug 24, 2015 1:50 pm

Lots of excellent points being made here. For a start, yes, holding back makes no sense at all. All you are doing is pledging money and nothing will be taken from your account without your say so. Secondly, if companies are going to be attracted, as has been suggested, they need to see that the club is helping itself as much as it can. Currently, we have 214 investors and I know, from personal experience and from the media, that there are quite a few investors in there from outside the ground. This is great but where are the other investors that have been supporting the club. There are a core of 500 supporters who attend games. Don't get me wrong, I appreciate that £250 is still too much for quite a few and that is just the way it is in the current financial climate. Also, there are children and families that make that amount. However, that suggests that, currently, there are maybe up to 300 supporters that haven't invested. Surely, there are another 50 or 100, who are currently holding back for whatever reason.

As far the businesses, yes, more could be done to attract them. Lists of companies to contact were drawn up at a couple of stages running up to and at the launch of the Bid. Many of these were emailed but, of course, this is a blunt - though quick - instrument that would be better chased up personally in person or, if not possible, on the phone. Obviously, you are talking about many companies (nearly 1000 in one mailshot) and that is a lot of chasing up, especially as many of the Bid have not only got fulltime jobs but also actually run thier own businesses.

As I am a teacher and on holiday, I have offered to start phoning up companies. Unfortunately, due to buying our house and sorting out my deceased mother in law's estate, I haven't been able to start until this week. I am also getting some advice on approaching firms from people who are experienced in corporate fundraising as it is essential that you get such calls spot on. I know that such calling isn't for everyone but if anyone wants to help, there are more than welcome. Indeed, if anyone has more experience than me and can instruct me and other volunteers, that would be even better.

I think that the message still isn't getting through that the Bid is straight away a community effort. Although it needs people's money, it is as important to have people's differing skills, experience, effort, energy, enthusiasm and ideas. Once you have bought a share, even if you haven't, you can get involved. Although there is a Bid team in place - with specific skills for getting a community club established and up and running - we still have the issue that it is run by the same sort of white middle-aged middle class males that always end up running these things. We need to broaden out not only in number but in demographic bringing in people from all backgrounds.

We need many more people on board volunteering. With the Bid team and the current volunteers on the street stalls (many people doing both), we have, maybe, 20-25 regulars. We need many more and it isn't just handing out leaflets before and after games and around Bath. As I say, we need people with experience in corporate fundraising, marketing, social, broadcast and print media, links in business, retail, community work. This is before we get to the sort of help we are going to need once we are up and running - painters, decorators, electricians, gardeners, caterers etc. In fact, the first volunteers we called out for were people with experience in bar work for the Bid Launch night who were absolutely invaluable.

Any idea can help with the Bid. For instance, I emailed every single community owned football club worldwide (near enough 200 according to Wikipedia anyway) asking them to, firstly, retweet/put on Facebook, websites, emails, supporters' forums etc links to the bid, secondly, encourage supporters to invest in another community owned clubs and, thirdly, consider whether, as a club or community/supporters' trust, they could invest. Now, an email like that is going to get ignored by a lot of clubs - I sent them to the likes of Bayern Munich and Barca, for instances - however, a few may take it seriously enough to send it out to their supporters which extrapolates it out worldwide. You only have to see what happened with the Eric Cantona video in getting an investor from America. If I know one thing about US football supporters, they are quite dedicated in the face of the other sports you have over there so there is someone in that context spreading the world.

We have also seen how much celebrity investors have helped. If anyone has any links to high profile possible investors with Bath links, use them. Peter Gabriel, Anthony Head, Scott Sinclair, Tyrone Mings, Ashley Barnes, Bobby Zamora, Bill Bailey, Tears for Fears, Jamie Cullum, Russell Howard etc. Ask them, they can only say no and it is only going to once that you need to ask them (hopefully).

Not everyone needs to do quite as ambitious links as these. All you have to do is ask your company, college, Uni - where you may know the person who would be in charge of the purse strings - if they would consider investing. You will be surprised who will be receptive - especially when the community benefits that Oliver outlines are made clear. As has been seen, companies that invest have been getting media exposure for it and the Bid team would do their best to get them into the media.

Lastly, what everyone can do is tell their friends in person, on the phone, on Twitter, Facebook etc. Everyone knows the sort of people who would be interested in investing - those who occasionally attend Bath City, those who are football supporters of other teams, those who have got strong ideas about how important community is and how important football clubs to those communities. It is amazing the knock-ons these have, by the way. I already know of one investor who isn't really a Bath City supporter but who has gone to every home match so far because he has invested.

As I say, we need to get away from this idea that there is a room full of white middle aged middle class blokes who are 'in charge'. There is a core Bid team for the period until the successful takeover but they aren't the all-knowing oracle - as no board of directors is - and they do make mistakes or don't have the links, experience or just sheer time to do everything. That is why we need as many people selling the bid as much as possible. Even if you just get one person to invest, that is a help.

Last edited by Marc Monitor on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Major Icewater on Mon Aug 24, 2015 2:52 pm

Not sure I follow all the maths in marc's post.
The other matter is some of those supporters mentioned may already be shareholders and simply be prepared to transfer their shares over at the appropriate time.
If my understanding is correct there is no financial benefit (for the individual) in doing this. Surely if someone owns 250 shares it would be of more benefit (to themself) if they invested £250 in the bid and then sold their shareholding to the new structure at £1 per share.
Following this process would allow the shareholder to then reclaim the 30% tax allowed on this type of investment. Potentially leaving the former shareholder with the same level of investment (£250 ) plus a rebate from HMRC of £75.

Major Icewater

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Mon Aug 24, 2015 3:43 pm

Ha, sorry, Major, my maths is all out - luckily, I am not the maths guy. I have taken that paragraph out so that it doesn't confuse anyone.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by LB on Mon Aug 24, 2015 8:06 pm

I am surprised that with only a few days (as I understand it) left before the deadline for raising the £750k Marc is still asking if anyone has links to various local 'celebrities' - I recall this was discussed at the supporters' meeting that I attended back in June so I would have thought it would have been done by now. He also suggests that anyone with a link to these people ask them - wouldn't it be better if the people with those links put the bid team in touch, so that contact can be made on an 'official' basis.

I am not criticising the bid team in any way, as I think their efforts have been amazing so far, but it does seem to me that there is a mountain still to climb to get to the £750k, and an even bigger one to get to the £1.25m. As a long time supporter I hope their efforts are successful as the implications for failure appear pretty stark.

LB

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Mon Aug 24, 2015 9:11 pm

As I say, the core Bid team is limited and has limited contacts. I am saying that, if anyone has links, it is better if they contact them as, firstly, they will have the personal contact that is so important and, secondly, it means the Bid team aren't getting in contact unsolicited to the thousands of companies. Of course, if people wanted to pass on details to the Bid team, they can, of course. Indeed I have done it with certain contacts as I thought that other members of the Bid team may be better. However, as I have been trying to get across, every person who has pledged, indeed, every supporter is the best ambassador and salesman for the Bid and, indeed, the club.

There is a lot of talk about what people think the Bid team would, could and should have done by now. Can I reassure everyone that the Bid team has done a massive amount? The Launch nigh with Jason Dodds and Ian Holloway, the Ricky Tomlinson and Eric Cantona endorsements, all the events to raise publicity and funds, the street stalls etc. have all been done by the Bid team (including the volunteers that have joined the team since the launch). Quite frankly, the massive amount we have raised so far, considering it is holidays and close-season, is down to two things - firstly, the supporters that have pledged and, secondly, the efforts of the Bid team.

However, as we have said all along, there are no 'silver bullets' or 'sugar daddies' that we have waiting in the wings. All we have been doing and can still do is exactly what I am asking here - raise awareness of the bid and persuade friends, acquaintances, businesses, whoever about the worth to the club and the community of investing. The reason why it is worth me repeating it here is, firstly, perhaps people have thought that we were actually keeping something until the last minute (we're not) and, secondly, as I mention, we were given the worst timescale to raise the money. Now that it is start of the season, there are people back off holiday, the team is playing and winning matches and the bid has 12, not 'a few', days left.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsouthdowner on Mon Aug 24, 2015 11:08 pm

I was going to invest for my son, but until I'm satisfied that the bid is about keeping Bath City FC going and not staying at Twerton Park I' ll keep my money in my pocket! I have supported BCFC for over 50 years and will continue to do so, but I'm not tied to Twerton Park and follow BCFC not that team from twerton! I no longer live in Bath, but try and make at least half a dozen games a year, whether it be at TP or else where I don't mind. Lets's get real TP is delapidated and requires considerable investment to bring it into the 21st century, the amount to scar City is far greater than the Community buy out is aiming at.
That's it and no doubt I'll be ridiculed for my views, but they are my views!

Oldsouthdowner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by city88 on Tue Aug 25, 2015 12:36 am

I've watched City since 1995 and decided to purchase a share for a number of reasons.

Firstly I like that fact that it is more democratic. Everyone gets a say in how the club is run on a one member one vote basis including any proposals to move from Twerton Park. That is fair. It says in the bid prospectus that the issue is generally open which I think is sensible.

Secondly I don't see how directors constantly providing loans will in any way get Bath City higher up the leagues (certainly in the long run) At the moment it is simply about survival and in that sense the club is just stagnating inactive and dull.

Thirdly I don't see any multi millionaire coming into to save the club either and even if they did that can come at a huge price such as what was mentioned in regards to Cardiff or perhaps we could end up another Rushden and Diamonds.

Another thing worth remembering was that it was only a few seasons ago we were a conference premier team and the attendances were relatively poor following promotion. A community run club for the community could well capture the public's imagination in a far more productive way. Lets not forget that we are sandwiched between Bristol City (one step from the premiership), Bristol Rovers and a premiership rugby team. A fan owned team can make the Bath City experience more worthwhile and bring fresh energy and interest into the club.

I genuinely can't see any other way forward for Bath City other than by supporting the bid. The only alternative really is to see a club just staying around the minor leagues with an occasional cup run but there should be more pride than that.

city88

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster on Tue Aug 25, 2015 8:25 am

I would have thought that the best way of ensuring the survival of the club would be to invest.

the demon headmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH on Tue Aug 25, 2015 9:18 am

Oldsouthdowner wrote:I was going to invest for my son, but until I'm satisfied that the bid is about keeping Bath City FC going and not staying at Twerton Park I' ll keep my money in my pocket!  I have supported BCFC for over 50 years and will continue to do so, but I'm not tied to Twerton Park and follow BCFC not that team from twerton!  I no longer live in Bath, but try and make at least half a dozen games a year, whether it be at TP or else where I don't mind.  Lets's get real TP is delapidated and requires considerable investment to bring it into the 21st century, the amount to scar City is far greater than the Community buy out is aiming at.
That's it and no doubt I'll be ridiculed for my views, but they are my views!

No one from the Bid will ridicule your views, I'm sure. The bid is about keeping Bath City FC going - it is not and never has been the Twerton Park Preservation Society.

As the prospectus states, the first thing the community club would do is start a review of all possible options - Twerton Park no 3G, Twerton Park 3G pitch, moving away from Twerton Park etc (preliminary research is already underway). Then the members of the club will decide what to do.

That will be a momentous decision - far better for it to be made democratically by as many fans as possible.

If there is any more information I can give that will help satisfy you, please let me know!
OliverH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsouthdowner on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:16 am

Don't understand, why and on what basis changing ownership to that described will attract more people on match days! Currently, City is kept afloat by Directors loans etc, will someone please explain how operational costs will be met under new community ownership?

Oldsouthdowner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:20 am

Please read the business plan in the prospectus - you can access it a bigbathcitybid.org.uk.
OliverH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Oldsouthdowner on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:41 am

Well, I've looked there and can't find it! Where exactly is the business plan?
Everything I've read is predicated on staying at TP, although moving is not ruled out, but my perception is that those involved are committed to staying.

Oldsouthdowner

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by OliverH on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:52 am

Sorry - please scroll to the bottom of this page:

http://www.bigbathcitybid.org.uk/how-to-buy.html

You can download it as a PDF.

It's true that this business plan is predicated on staying at Twerton Park, because at present there is no obvious alternative - and even if there were, the bid team would not be in a position to make the agreements needed (e.g. selling or redeveloping). So in asking people to make an investment in a community club, we have to present a realistic business plan based on the current situation.

In fact, some of the bid team prefer to stay at Twerton and make a go of it, some of the bid team want to stay at Twerton and install 3G, some think we probably have to move. This is also true of the supporter base as a whole.

It will be the members that decide.
OliverH

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Tue Aug 25, 2015 10:52 am

Thanks for your post, City88. You have encapsulated what a lot of us think.

oldsouthdowner, as Oliver mentions, the Bid team have made suggestions for the future of the club but, at the end of the day, the members of the club will have the final say. That is how community ownership works and why it is the best option even if you have a sugar daddy investor wanting to buy a club.

The Prospectus is here but if you can't link to it, here is the section you need.

Creating a Community Owned Club
Bath City FC has become disconnected from Bath. We believe that community ownership will change this. Attitudes will shift and imaginations will be captured. People who take pride in Bath will take pride in Bath City. New faces will get involved and new connections will be forged. Supporters will find new depths of loyalty and commitment.
Community ownership provides an opportunity for Bath City FC to become part of our city’s DNA. It will open up ownership of Bath City FC to the whole community, giving more people a real stake in the club’s success. Through community ownership, Bath City FC will aim to achieve the following:
Create an ownership model that reflects Bath City’s true spirit
A private limited company is designed to maximise returns to individual shareholders. This is at odds with how the club is actually run: as a mostly volunteer effort driven by community spirit and pride. We will recognise this, and help external partners and funders recognise this, by adopting the legal form of a Community Benefit Society (CBS): a social enterprise that exists for the benefit of the community. Bath City FC, unlimited.

Offer vibrant, meaningful and active membership
Smaller clubs live or die by the active involvement of their supporters, partners and backers. Limiting input in decisionmaking and participation to a handful of investors can paralyse lower league clubs by starving them of fresh ideas and enthusiasm.

A membership-driven Bath City FC Community Benefit Society will revitalise the club’s fortunes by opening the doors to people who want to be actively involved in the club as a way of helping the city.

Open up new opportunities and business advantages for the club

With the community collectively owning Bath City we will have the potential to achieve more – building stronger partnerships with the local community, presenting a different appeal to sponsors, increasing attendances and matchday spend, and making more of supporters’ goodwill with projects and volunteering opportunities.

Building a platform for great football
Success in football is strongly linked to finances. The problem with modern football is that many clubs seek success by spending beyond their means. Instead of spending money we don’t have, our focus will be on generating more income for the club to make it truly sustainable. If we want success to be sustained, we need the team off the pitch to be as strong - stronger - as the one on it. Bath City FC will only be as successful as the community willing to support it. We’ll need to work smarter and harder commercially than some of
our rivals who run at a loss but rely on benefactors. But our club and our community will be the better for it.

Our first step will be to inject new energy and ideas into the commercial offer, marketing effort and matchday experience. We will then need to take stock of where we are, consult widely and consider our options.
We have already identified some key areas where we will need a strategic review. We will organise dedicated working groups to look at the issues outlined:

The Stadium
We will conduct a review of Twerton Park stadium’s suitability for present and future needs. Possible options may include development of parts of the ground, full redevelopment or relocation. This review will be put to the membership.

3G All-Weather Pitch
If the numbers stack up, a 3G-equipped Twerton Park could become the true “Home of Bath Football”, hosting Bath City Youth, Foundation, Academy and student and corporate sides. We will investigate the commercial opportunities of a 3G playing surface
as a priority. Again, this review will be put to the membership.

Football
We will conduct a strategic review of the club’s football structures, facilities and support systems to ensure the club is equipped for, and capable of, striving towards the Football League.

Commercial Activities
Drawing on the best ideas from the world of sport and business, Bath City will seek to maximise commercial opportunities both on matchdays and during the rest of the year.

Matchday Experience
A thorough review of fan engagement, marketing activity and matchday experience will ensure that the club achieves the broadest possible engagement. We hope to revitalise attendance, creating the next generations of Bath City FC supporters.

As I say, I have already seen shareholders turning up to more matches since they have invested and companies that are more interested in sponsorship or commercial partnerships because of investment.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:07 am

To clear this up as I promised I would

Too Late... wrote:
comrade powell wrote:
2weirdtown wrote:What is the £55K 'upfront'?  Is this shares held by the Society?  
I guess there may be existing individual shareholdings to be transferred over too?

The £55k refers to the sum raised by the Bid team to pay one of the club's creditors back in the Spring. This led to the deadline for full payment being extended to September and is separate to the £750k minimum target.

I was always wondering why the Pitch In appeal was £55,000. It seemed a very unlikely number, why not just £50,000 or £60,000? A very co-incidental figure if it is not directly relevant!

The original appeal was for £50,000 but there was an pre-launch donation of £5000 so it was decided to make the appeal £55,000. When it was mentioned last night, it was the first time that many in the Bid team had realised the numbers were the same - it has been a long time since the initial £55,000 and the launch of the crowdfunder. It is safe to say that it is a co-incidence and, until your post here last week, no-one else had noticed.

Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley on Tue Aug 25, 2015 11:47 am

Oldsouthdowner wrote:Everything I've read is predicated on staying at TP, although moving is not ruled out, but my perception is that those involved are committed to staying.

I'm afraid your perception is wrong though, Old Southdowner.

As has been stated a number of times, the Bid team is not the 'Twerton Park Preservation Society'. Nor is it the 'Get Out of Twerton Society' either. Instead, the group are committed to the process of fully evaluating the stadium needs of the club, drawing a conclusion from that, and then letting the members (i.e. shareholders) decide what should happen. There is genuinely no dominant agenda either way within the Bid team, and I'm not sure what would have given you that impression.

Oldsouthdowner wrote:I was going to invest for my son, but until I'm satisfied that the bid is about keeping Bath City FC going and not staying at Twerton Park I' ll keep my money in my pocket!

You have an opinion on where the club's geographical future should lie, which you're perfectly entitled to. Under the club's current structure, your opinion counts for little and you have no real influence in any decisions made on that issue, which would be decided by a small number of people (unless you happen to be one of those major shareholders yourself). Under the community-ownership model, you would have an equal say in any decision regarding stadium location as every other Bath City fan would. It appears counter-intuitive for someone with a strong desire to see a decision go a particular way to deliberately exclude themselves from the decision-making process on it. Particularly as if the Bid fails then the club may well have a decision on Twerton Park forced upon it, and in a way which is not financially beneficial to the club.

In short - if the Bid doesn't work you may well get your wish of the club leaving Twerton Park, but without anywhere else to go to instead. In which case you may find your son no longer has a football club to support at all. It would be great if that decision could be taken from an informed position by the club's members and supporters, not forced on it by a legal process due to debt. And it would be great if you and your son could have an equal say with everyone else in that decision, regardless of which way you wanted to vote on it. So please do give investing some more thought - it would be good to have you both on board and your voices heard.

SteveBradley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top