Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Question to those who have not bought shares (yet)?

+11
2weirdtown
SteveS
Major Icewater
Steve Whites Missus
Luton Roman
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
Marc Monitor
Dave
yuffie
Roman Mike
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Question to those who have not bought shares (yet)? Empty Question to those who have not bought shares (yet)?

Post by Roman Mike Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:18 pm

I am genuinely curious as to why some people have yet to buy shares.
I sense a general reluctance just looking at the numbers at the moment
I do realise that £250 is too much for some.
Is there something I am missing that is stopping people doing it now? What are you waiting for?
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Question to those who have not bought shares (yet)? Empty Re: Question to those who have not bought shares (yet)?

Post by yuffie Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:37 pm

To my mind if the £100K has been largely shares bought by the current fan base then that is around what I expected from that group. Given we averaged just under 500 last, once you take out children and those who can't afford even the minimum, that is still 400 fans paying £250.

Though to answer that question from an entirely personal point of view (as I am one of those who haven't bought shares yet) I am waiting for the sale of my late mother's house before I know how many shares I can buy.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Question to those who have not bought shares (yet)? Empty Re: Question to those who have not bought shares (yet)?

Post by Dave Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:43 pm

Personally, there's no way I can afford a share unless I forgo watching any matches for the majority of the season, which just ain't happening. I have a modest amount of shares already though that I will be transferring, no news on how to yet though?

Dave

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:46 pm

Micogenius site indicates 110 "funders" to date
Do people realise that using the on-line method means that a) the funds will be refunded if the scheme doesn't succeed? b) the funds will not be taken from your account until the scheme is activated - i.e. Oct / Nov
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:49 pm

Palms wrote:Personally, there's no way I can afford a share unless I forgo watching any matches for the majority of the season, which just ain't happening. I have a modest amount of shares already though that I will be transferring, no news on how to yet though?

There are details of this on the BBCB news page http://www.bigbathcitybid.org.uk/news
I hope that gives you what you need
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Jul 17, 2015 9:53 pm

Yeah, I was about to say that it is 100 funders not 400.

I can't speak for anyone but I wonder whether people realise that this is last chance saloon.

I mean Bath City will carry on even if we have to be in the Rhodes and District or something but, as a semi-pro team at Twerton, probably not.

There is no Plan B, this is it.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:23 pm

Palms wrote:Personally, there's no way I can afford a share unless I forgo watching any matches for the majority of the season, which just ain't happening.

I'm in the same boat - I'm reverting to working part-time in a couple of months and need to look after number one. I'll still do my bit but in terms of money I'm not in the position to do it.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Jul 17, 2015 10:45 pm

By the way, I am not criticising those who can't afford £250. At the end of day, if you can't afford it now - or, more accurately, in September - you can't afford it.

Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:24 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
Palms wrote:Personally, there's no way I can afford a share unless I forgo watching any matches for the majority of the season, which just ain't happening.

I'm in the same boat - I'm reverting to working part-time in a couple of months and need to look after number one. I'll still do my bit but in terms of money I'm not in the position to do it.

It would be really great if those who are in your position could offer to do your bit in some other way. How about volunteering to help at a street stall for example? Despite Marc's appeal a few weeks ago, there is just a small group manning it. They have other things they'd like to be doing over the Summer, and while it is enjoyable engaging with the public, it is hard work and time consuming.

Another way people can do their bit is by supporting Bid events. At £2 a head, the upcoming quiz is not going to break the bank and should be good fun. Even buying a Bid badge helps to boost the fighting fund. This campaign has cost a lot to run.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:33 pm

I've invested because I can. I saw the Fighting  Fund bucket at the Bristol game. Struck me as a tad desperate? This is in investment for the future  not throwing pennies in a bucket.  Still a way to go w hearts,  minds and consciences I think.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:36 pm

The other possibility is the crowd funding option which, I believe, is going to be up and running soon.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:38 pm

THe money in the buckets is for funding the bid process.

Firstly, the Bid money isn't in. Secondly, we don't want to spend pledges on raising money so that we can get more pledges. As it goes, there has been a fair few personal donations to help with fund-raising costs - printing, design etc.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jul 17, 2015 11:45 pm

Luton Roman wrote:I've invested because I can. I saw the Fighting  Fund bucket at the Bristol game. Struck me as a tad desperate? This is in investment for the future  not throwing pennies in a bucket.  Still a way to go w hearts,  minds and consciences I think.

Can I make it clear that the fighting fund donations are going towards the running of the campaign, not towards the buying out of the club. I'm sure you appreciate that we are running up expenses in hiring places like the Guildhall for the Launch, printing prospectuses and posters etc. The Society has covered many of the bills but it's funds are not infinite. Some Bid team members have generously made donations to fill the gaps - I don't think it's unreasonable to ask others to do the same.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Jul 18, 2015 12:08 am

I do appreciate all the work people are doing and as my football training is cancelled next week I'll try and make the quiz, even though it's not overly my sort of thing.

At the moment I really haven't got time to help out with the stall or anything like that. I won't bore everyone with the details of why not but it's honestly not an excuse. Even something like editing the programme (I'm doing as much as I can now, as well as one for a charity game next week) is really time consuming. As is sifting through photos each match.

Thanks for the PM as well, I'll be in touch with Jon so the events can be publicised in the programme.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Jul 18, 2015 1:04 pm

I would say the amount of individuals who have invested is slightly more than I would have expected.
You only have to look at money raising schemes such as the £125 thing last season and match day / ball / kit sponsorship. It is the same people time after time who stump up.
Realistically I've never thought it would be possible to hit the 750k target, let alone 1.25 million.
Is there a potential plan b for consideration for the 100k raised so far.
Yes I have invested so negativity aside my fingers are still crossed.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jul 18, 2015 2:47 pm

The money raised so far can't be used for alternative means if the Bid fails. Those who have pledged through Microgenius won't have the sums taken out of their accounts while those who have paid by cheque will have their money returned.

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:46 pm

There is no plan B for the £100k raised so far because, if we can't buy the club, we have promised not to take it.

I am not sure why you are already writing it off. We still have over a month to go and people with experience of the Bell buy out have said that the corporate money comes in the last month because companies just can't write a cheque, they have processes to go through first and, also, companies and organisations tend to see how the wind is blowing before they invest.

In the meantime, it is up to us to keep the momentum going and positive vibes flowing (man) so that individual investors, companies and organisations will feel that there is worth in investing.

Personally, I am surprised that more individuals haven't invested. There is a core of 4-500 City supporters that turn up to home games every week. I would have thought that they would want to still have a club to turn up for every other Saturday. Of course, there are many that won't be able to afford £250 but I would have thought that at least 250-300 could. Not only that but I know that people who don't go to Bath City but want to see this bid survive have invested so there are probably less that 100 City supporters that have invested.

I just worry that there are some people that think that it will all be fine and the club will survive some how if the Bid doesn't work. Quite simply, if there was another route, it would have been taken by now because the current board looked at them all before accepting the bid.

Personally, I presently can't quite get into the team selection/player acquisitions/friendlies as much as normal as, aside from a couple other issues, I think that the Bid and everything to do with it is much more important this season and think that that needs more of my personal time, efforts and attention.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Major Icewater Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:30 pm

I doubt there is much more cash to come from the 5-600 core supporter base.
That core group will have 3 sub-groupings:-
(a) Those who have signed up to the bid
(b) Those who are unable to afford the minimum investment
(c) Those who are already shareholders and will not be signing up
as they will have existing shares converted to community shares
as a matter of course.I suspect there are a significant number
within this last grouping.

Major Icewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:46 pm

Hmmm, that's interesting, I hadn't thought of the latter group.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sat Jul 18, 2015 5:48 pm

If you are an existing shareholder why should that stop you signing up if you can afford to do so? I have shares which I am converting and have also put some more in - in fact it may well be the case that existing shareholders are in a better position to help the bid further.
I can only echo what Marc has said - I think there are a lot of people who think we have heard all this before and something will turn up. If the bid fails I think the only thing that will tun up is a 'For Sale' relating to Twerton Park.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:40 pm

That's absolutely correct.  Talking to some regular supporters it appears there are quite a number who simply have not taken this on board.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sat Jul 18, 2015 8:41 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:I would say the amount of individuals who have invested is slightly more than I would have expected.
You only have to look at money raising schemes such as the £125 thing last season and match day / ball / kit sponsorship. It is the same people time after time who stump up.
Realistically I've never thought it would be possible to hit the 750k target, let alone 1.25 million.
Is there a potential plan b for consideration for the 100k raised so far.
Yes I have invested so negativity aside my fingers are still crossed.

My (personal) understanding is that the whole point of the BBCB is that it is fundamentally different from the usual fund raising activities - on 2 levels. 1) Its not about raising more cash to pump into a broken model and 2) Its more than just tapping up the fans / usual suspects. This is about changing the model to breathe new life and energy into the club AND its about engaging with a far wider audience than the Twerton faithful. My reason for posing the question in the first place (on a Bath City forum, remember) is that, based solely on anecdotal evidence, I sense a hesitance in the 'die-hards' to engage / commit. If this is the case (maybe its not btw) I genuinely don't get it and would like to understand it.

Maybe I've missed the point but I don't think you can compare this with the "£125 thing". And I don't know why you think its the same people now. It would be good to understand how many people / businesses are committing now who have never engaged previously. And conversely, (back to the thread) how many of the die hards are not engaging (and if so, why not).
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:15 pm

Is there any way that existing shareholders can indicate their willingness to convert their shares? These shares are as good as pound notes because for every one converted it is one pound less that needs to be raised. Can the web site be amended so that they can register?

What happens if they own less than 250 shares? Will they have the same entitlement or will they have to top up to £250?

BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:54 pm

BenE wrote:Is there any way that existing shareholders can indicate their willingness to convert their shares? These shares are as good as pound notes because for every one converted it is one pound less that needs to be raised. Can the web site be amended so that they can register?

What happens if they own less than 250 shares? Will they have the same entitlement or will they have to top up to £250?

There is a shareholder factsheet here if that helps (i haven't checked your specific question)
I found this on the BBCB news page which is here http://www.bigbathcitybid.org.uk/news
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jul 18, 2015 9:58 pm

To answer your first question, Benny, the Bid team have written to the 250 or so biggest shareholders inviting them to pledge to support the bid and to apply for extra shares. The other shareholders will be contacted shortly.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next