Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New badge?

+11
Dodgycarpet
SteveBradley
comrade powell
Steve Whites Missus
Timbo_b-o-a
Jon_BOA
yuffie
Mark Tanner
Roman Mike
Roy D Hacksaw
Marc Monitor
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

New badge? Empty New badge?

Post by Marc Monitor Wed May 27, 2015 6:51 pm

After the disappointment of the 125th anniversary badge and the boring previous badge, is it time for a new badge? Personally, I would love something with a proper Roman design, maybe in sillhouette, nice and simple. Whatever, I think that something that isn't overly fussy - like the last one - or boring and just repeating the stripes - like the one before - would be good.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

New badge? Empty Re: New badge?

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Wed May 27, 2015 8:14 pm

I rather like the previous one. I'd call it simple rather than boring.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed May 27, 2015 8:44 pm

I don't mind the simplicity of it as such but I can't see the point in badges that replicate the strip. Also, we are the only team in the UK to have Romans as a nickname so why not have a Roman on the badge.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Wed May 27, 2015 9:20 pm

Roy D Hacksaw wrote:I rather like the previous one. I'd call it simple rather than boring.

Ditto. Minimalist
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Wed May 27, 2015 9:23 pm

Yeah I like the previous logo too, very easy to mould into different things and transfer onto merch with ease. Much like the Big Bath City Bid logo!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu May 28, 2015 1:42 am

Whilst I am perfectly happy with the current badge I can see that if the community bid succeeds a new badge could be on the agenda.

If it was the case I would like to see the 60s badge (that formed the main part of the 125th badge) used, rather than a new design.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Thu May 28, 2015 9:20 am

yuffie wrote:Whilst I am perfectly happy with the current badge I can see that if the community bid succeeds a new badge could be on the agenda.

If it was the case I would like to see the 60s badge (that formed the main part of the 125th badge) used, rather than a new design.

100% agree with that Yuffie. City have had three badges already, the best of which is the coat of arms badge that was used in the 60s. Strip away the laurel and ribbons from the 125 badge and we have it ready, and looking good.

Marc, a Roman was used on the "lozenge" (not sure what else shape to call it) badge, although by silhouette of a Roman, are you imagining a helmet and more similar in style to the Blyth Spartans badge? (Acknowledging that theirs is clearly a stylised Spartan helment, rather than Roman).

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a Thu May 28, 2015 9:42 am

yuffie wrote:Whilst I am perfectly happy with the current badge I can see that if the community bid succeeds a new badge could be on the agenda.

This would be the one for me minus the clip art wreath and 125 banner. It incorporates the City of Bath arms but isn't overly fussy, still has stripes round the side and harks back to the heyday when City were a non league force with big crowds. I think it would be perfect to launch in conjuntion with a successful community bid.

I like wierd mystique of the 1980s Roman but I don't think it could realistically be brought back and I can't help worrying that a modern design of a Roman helmet or soldier would look a bit tacky..
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu May 28, 2015 10:22 am

Jon_BOA wrote:Marc, a Roman was used on the "lozenge" (not sure what else shape to call it) badge, although by silhouette of a Roman, are you imagining a helmet and more similar in style to the Blyth Spartans badge? (Acknowledging that theirs is clearly a stylised Spartan helment, rather than Roman).

Yes,good shout, I suppose it would be a Roman version of the Blyth Spartans logo but also could be a silhouette of a centurion. The 80s one is weird to me as it looks like me getting up off a chair when my back is bad. I really like the 60s badge but, again, don't like the repetition of the stripes on the shirt especially as they are diagonal on that one. Take away that and it is a really nicely designed badge that is easy to reproduce.

As yuffie suggests, it would be good to have a new badge for the community takeover but I fear that by the time it is all done and dusted, it will be too late to change anything on the kit. Perhaps next season, we could have a competition for a short-list of new badge designs, put them against previous ones and have a fan vote.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu May 28, 2015 10:37 am

Marc Monitor wrote:
As yuffie suggests, it would be good to have a new badge for the community takeover but I fear that by the time it is all done and dusted, it will be too late to change anything on the kit. Perhaps next season, we could have a competition for a short-list of new badge designs, put them against previous ones and have a fan vote.

Leave it until the 2016-2017 season.  I'm sure if the community takeover happens there will be more pressing things than the badge.  Competition short-list and fan vote sound an excellent idea.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu May 28, 2015 10:54 am

Marc Monitor wrote: we could have a competition for a short-list of new badge designs, put them against previous ones and have a fan vote.

you mean member vote! Wink
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Thu May 28, 2015 11:59 am

Our current badge is awful. Absolutely awful. It says nothing about the club except the fact that we wear black and white stripes. Which you'd be able to tell from the shirt it was sewn on to anyway.

Here's the caustic view When Saturday Comes gave it when they made it their Badge of the Week two years ago. The last line says it all really Very Happy :

Badge of the week ~ Bath City
Bath City's badge represents a shocking dereliction of duty. It is one of the most tedious designs in the entire canon of club crests. It is on the same level of banality and dullness as the reluctant banter between Ken Bruce and the young lady who provides the traffic reports on Radio 2, although perhaps not displaying the same level of underlying self-loathing.

And yet surely the designers might have chosen from a whole range of interesting features of this ancient city. In the large space where we see here only black and white stripes, there could have been Roman soldiers, a nice aqueduct perhaps, the famed Circus of Georgian houses surely, a bath, some tourists staring at a student playing a viola for small change – anything, in fact. They have a wonderful children's playground there, with three large slides.

It is really quite incredible to think the club has settled for black and white stripes with this rich selection of images at its disposal. One can only assume that Bath City have taken the unusual option of creating an icon in order to register modesty and keep the club's profile low

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveBradley Thu May 28, 2015 12:06 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:Marc, a Roman was used on the "lozenge" (not sure what else shape to call it) badge, although by silhouette of a Roman, are you imagining a helmet and more similar in style to the Blyth Spartans badge? (Acknowledging that theirs is clearly a stylised Spartan helment, rather than Roman).

I think a roman helmet image on our badge could be done well. Think of how Arsenal's cannon looks.

We have a great nickname, and the local history to justify it. In my view, we should make a lot more of it.

SteveBradley

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu May 28, 2015 1:05 pm

Juventus have a striped badge on a striped shirt... I don't hear many people complaining about that one, as does the BBC bid logo which I think has a subtle coolness about it.  

The BBC bid is creating a brand around the club which no one has moaned about.... so I don't think we should go too far from that. Give the people who have never been before something simple to identify the club by.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Thu May 28, 2015 4:52 pm

marc's ramones / romans badge is by far the best.
lets go for it!

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu May 28, 2015 5:44 pm

It's not mine. I just had the original idea and my mate and partner in crime Martyn designed it. Because of this, I am not being biased by saying it would make a great badge. Wink

Steve (White's), I actually think that the Juve is very boring for exactly the same reasons and don't particularly like the repetition element of the Notts County, Atletico and especially the awful Stoke City badge for the same reasons.

I like the idea of the children's playground.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu May 28, 2015 6:16 pm

If memory serves when the current badge was introduced in 1998 the designers (students from Bath College?) used the Roman wall in Bath as the inspiration for the top. So there is some Roman influence, although I admit it is fairly well hidden.

Given that most teams badge contains their colours it doesn't seem that odd to me that ours includes stripes. We've now had three badges and all have included black and white stripes. And as most of the time you see the badge it is not on the (home) shirt I don't see that it is relevant to saying it doesn't need stripes.

As that I like our badge, I also like Juventus and Notts County's. They are all clear and simple, and it is immediately obvious which team's they are. Likewise Stoke City's (who another parent at Charlie's school mistook my City hoodie for) and I think you could use it as a basis to include the Romans nickname* in our badge, just in place of where they have The Potters.

As for the WSC's 'review', I guess they think they are funny.

*Though that does open the can of worms whether The Romans is in fact our nickname.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu May 28, 2015 6:37 pm

yuffie wrote:If memory serves when the current badge was introduced in 1998 the designers (students from Bath College?) used the Roman wall in Bath as the inspiration for the top. So there is some Roman influence, although I admit it is fairly well hidden.

If they did use the city walls then they didn't use anything Roman as the remaining ones aren't Roman but medieval. I have been told that Roman walls didn't have crenellations as well.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu May 28, 2015 7:30 pm

I think this calls for a badge designing project for local schools next year, with members voting on their favourite from a shortlist drawn up by forum members.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu May 28, 2015 8:27 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:
yuffie wrote:If memory serves when the current badge was introduced in 1998 the designers (students from Bath College?) used the Roman wall in Bath as the inspiration for the top. So there is some Roman influence, although I admit it is fairly well hidden.

If they did use the city walls then they didn't use anything Roman as the remaining ones aren't Roman but medieval. I have been told that Roman walls didn't have crenellations as well.

Fair enough, I bow to your superior knowledge on these things. Though it does show that some part of Bath's history was used in the design.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu May 28, 2015 8:29 pm

Oh, it's not me. A Roman history obsessed fellow supporter told me and I checked it out.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Fri May 29, 2015 8:47 am

by comrade powell Today at 5:30 am
I think this calls for a badge designing project for local schools next year, with members voting on their favourite from a shortlist drawn up by forum members.

The perfect solution. An emoticon holding up its thumb.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri May 29, 2015 9:02 am

What's he hold his thumb with?
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri May 29, 2015 8:41 pm

To me the badge is striking because of its simplicity. It demonstrates a quiet confidence rather than the overwrought plaintiveness of an ornate badge. People know about Bath's history. We don't have to get it all on one badge. Our reputation proceeds us.

Black and White Army.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat May 30, 2015 12:31 am

I agree with you that, on its own, its simplicity is good but there are elements, such as the stripes, that are just bland. I am not sure that we can rely on people knowing about Bath and our history.

From an objective point of view, I remember badges like the smiley face Leeds badge, the Forest tree, the Derby ram etc.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next