Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Bath City (0)0 Sutton United (1)2

+6
Marc Monitor
stillmanjunior
Ashley
comrade powell
BenE
Kelston Koppite
10 posters

Go down

Bath City (0)0  Sutton United (1)2 Empty Bath City (0)0 Sutton United (1)2

Post by Kelston Koppite Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:57 am

Bath City’s hopes of concluding their home Vanarama Conference South programme with victory were dealt a massive blow when they were reduced to ten men inside the first thirty seconds.  The hosts belied their numerical advantage for large periods of the game, but eventually lost to Sutton United, who registered a goal in each half.

On a glorious sunny afternoon at Twerton Park, the match commenced in dramatic fashion as, almost immediately, Chris Allen felled Damian Scannell with a high tackle in front of the away bench. Whilst the challenge of the City midfielder was undoubtedly ill advised, there is no doubt that the fouled player made the most of the situation.  With the overreaction of the Sutton management and players, who swarmed round the referee, Mr. Ryan Atkin of Farnborough, the red card was an inevitable outcome.

Despite this early setback, the home side had a good opportunity to take the lead in the 3rd minute.  A long ball over the United defence was chased down by Dave Pratt, who lifted his shot over the advancing Aaron Howe but wide of the target.

Sutton’s first effort at goal came on 8 minutes, when a Louie Theophanous curling shot drifted wide of Jason Mellor’s far post.

It was Bath who were enjoying the majority of possession, but Sutton forged in front after 15 minutes following a corner from the right.  The ball fell to Micky Spillane beyond the far post, and his looping volley found its way into the far corner of the net after eluding Mellor’s outstretched arm.

City tried to respond immediately, but Ashley Kington dragged a shot well wide from 25 yards.  At the other end, Spillane found space in the area, and Mellor made an excellent diving save to push his shot round the far post.

The ensuing exchanges were fairly even, but Mr. Atkins was beginning to frustrate the home players and supporters alike with a series of baffling decisions.  There was generally a paucity of goalmouth action, but Theophanous turned smartly inside the City box on the half hour mark, only to shoot straight at Mellor.

The next flashpoint occurred with 39 minutes on the clock as City launched an attack.  Nick McCootie’s forward run was crudely blocked by Glen Southam on the halfway line and, as the pair tangled, the Cityman appeared to be struck in the back.  In the meantime, the ball found its way to Naby Diallo who was in a promising position out wide on the left.  With the fracas continuing in midfield, and now involving a number of players, the referee halted play and consulted both his assistants.  To the complete incredulity of the home contingent, Mr. Atkin eventually decided to take no penal action whatsoever, marched in military style across the pitch, ball in hand, and restarted the match with a drop-ball on the left flank that, predictably, saw Sutton clear their lines.

McCootie was clearly incensed by his treatment and, having been cautioned for a late challenge on the edge of the United box, he was fortunate that he made no connection with a raised foot shortly afterwards.  As a result, Lee Howells took the sensible option in replacing him with Andy Watkins ahead of the second half resumption.

City continued to play the better football after the break and had a golden chance to equalize in the 56th minute.  Pratt did brilliantly to force his way through several challenges and push the ball past the goalkeeper but, with the goal at his mercy, he struck his shot against the outside of the upright.

The previously stricken Scannell shot over Mellor’s bar from 18 yards and, Spillane fired well wide from distance, but it was Bath who continued to pose the greater threat.  Kington’s corner from the left on the hour mark picked out Pratt, but his header was plucked out of the air by Howe.  Two minutes later, Howe failed to reach an Artus corner kick, and Phil Walsh’s header was cleared of the line by a defender to save the keeper’s blushes.  Artus was then too high with a rising drive from 25 yards.

The home side had an escape in the 66th minute when a long clearance from Howe bounced into the path of Craig Dundas, who fired wildly wide from inside the area.

Dan Bowman and Ross Stearn replaced Andy Gallinagh and Naby Diallo respectively on 68 minutes, but the hosts were visibly, and understandably, beginning to tire.  Sutton gradually took advantage of the situation and were now able to pose more danger upfront.  Southam found himself in space in the City box, but contrived to blaze his effort so high over the bar that it flew out of the ground.

Mellor produced another good save to turn Ricky Wellard’s shot behind, and Shaun Cooper was just too high with his header from the resulting corner.  However, Sutton struck a decisive blow on 84 minutes, when Dan Fitchett was allowed too much room on the edge of the box, and he found the bottom corner of the net with his low shot.

Although City gave a good account of themselves and cannot be faulted for their effort, the loss of Allen so early in proceedings was ultimately too great an obstacle to overcome.  For their part, Sutton will feel that theirs was a job well done and, in the end, their win was fairly comfortable. However, the main talking point will be the ‘man in the middle’ for whom it is hard to find words to adequately describe his performance.  Certainly, ‘inept’ and ‘woeful’ are hopelessly wide of the mark.

Bath City: Jason Mellor, Sekani Simpson, Andy Gallinagh (Dan Bowman 68), Phil Walsh, Dan Ball, Chris Allen, Ashley Kington, Frankie Artus, Dave Pratt, Nick McCootie (Watkins 45), Naby Diallo (Ross Stearn 68). Subs not used: Jim Rollo, Ben Adelsbury.

Sutton United: Aaron Howe, Kevin Amankwaah, Dale Binns, Micky Spillane, Shaun Cooper, Jamie Collins, Damian Scannell (Ricky Wellard 62), Glen Southam, Craig Dundas (Bedsente Gomis 87), Kieron Forbes, Louie Theophanous (Dan Fitchett 62). Subs not used: Dan Wishart, Wayne Shaw.

Referee: Ryan Atkin (Farnborough)

Attendance: 612

Last edited by Kelston Koppite on Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:58 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Error)
Kelston Koppite
Kelston Koppite

Back to top Go down

Bath City (0)0  Sutton United (1)2 Empty Re: Bath City (0)0 Sutton United (1)2

Post by BenE Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:33 pm

No mention of Walsh's appalling five minutes that culminated in the second goal.

We had ten men in our own box for the corner for the first but there were two players unmarked at the back post.

The Sutton fans thought the ref had been decent. Certainly Allen could have no complaint about being shown red although another ref might have been more lenient. But the player got straight up and showed no ill effects whatsoever. But what a poor side they are. We gifted them the game.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Apr 19, 2015 8:42 pm

No, he didn't get up straight away! It seemed a brave decision by the ref, considering the time. But if a foul warrants a red card, that should be irrelevant.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sun Apr 19, 2015 9:56 pm

I thought it was a red live. We did well considering we had 10 men for the whole game and on another day might have got a result.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:04 pm

I didn't really see it as I was just gathering my things to go pitchside and take photos. Q was sat nearby and he thought it was a poor challenge, wouldn't be surprised to see a red card etc. And as Martin says, the time is irrelevant. If the ref thought it was a red card, so be it.

Some of the second half decisions were baffling. Jason Mellor collided with Dan Ball when trying to claim a cross and we were given a foul in our favour, as well as him touching the ball over for a clear corner which was given as a goal kick.

I have a photo of the Southam and McCootie incident. Something of nothing I thought, it was needless for Southam to do anything but our players/bench seemed desperate to get them down to 10 men as well.

Bath City (0)0  Sutton United (1)2 13-sou11
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Apr 19, 2015 10:27 pm

BenE wrote:No mention of Walsh's appalling five minutes that culminated in the second goal.

Oh, yeah, that was absolutely his fault. I can't quite see that Mellor was to blame but am prepared to be corrected on this.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Apr 19, 2015 11:02 pm

comrade powell wrote:No, he didn't get up straight away! It seemed a brave decision by the ref, considering the time. But if a foul warrants a red card, that should be irrelevant.

It was immediately after the ref raised his red card!!!!

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Apr 20, 2015 8:41 am

stillmanjunior wrote:I have a photo of the Southam and McCootie incident. Something of nothing I thought, it was needless for Southam to do anything but our players/bench seemed desperate to get them down to 10 men as well.

This incident was particularly galling as we had broken clear with Diallo. The game was pulled back. Neither the ref, or either linesman knew what had gone on, no action was taken, and the resulting dropped ball ended in a throw in for them. So well done nick McCootie.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Mon Apr 20, 2015 3:46 pm

BenE wrote:
stillmanjunior wrote:I have a photo of the Southam and McCootie incident. Something of nothing I thought, it was needless for Southam to do anything but our players/bench seemed desperate to get them down to 10 men as well.

This incident was particularly galling as we had broken clear with Diallo. The game was pulled back. Neither the ref, or either linesman knew what had gone on, no action was taken, and the resulting dropped ball ended in a throw in for them. So well done nick McCootie.

This incident made no sense to me and seemed to be a particularly poor example of refereeing. The referee stopped the game so I presume he saw an offence. Not sure how he then ended up with no cards and no free kick. I get the rule about only being able to give what you see but a yellow for each team would be a minimum to stop him looking stupid. I think he was very lucky that it was a meaningless game. Poor management of that kind of situation can often build into a series of far more serious offences.

PS. I thought Sutton were awful. Probably only 2nd to Farnbrough in their awfulness. Don't know what happened to them since making the play-offs last year
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Apr 20, 2015 4:37 pm

Colin, the player did not get up straight after the foul. You can read what you want into when he got up - are you suggesting he was not in fact injured?

Roman Mike, surely the ref was compelled to stop the game with players squaring up to each other, whether he saw what caused it or not.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:29 pm

comrade powell wrote:Colin, the player did not get up straight after the foul. You can read what you want into when he got up - are you suggesting he was not in fact injured?

Roman Mike, surely the ref was compelled to stop the game with players squaring up to each other, whether he saw what caused it or not.

Did I say that? I do not think so.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Apr 20, 2015 10:55 pm

No you didn't, so we agree!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Tue Apr 21, 2015 1:36 pm

There are some Sutton photos here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/paulloughlin/sets/72157652048684565/with/16570106524/ which kind of show the red card.

They're also a pretty decent set of photos.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Tue Apr 21, 2015 3:40 pm

Did Steve not film the game?

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bartessa Tue Apr 21, 2015 4:09 pm

yuffie wrote:Did Steve not film the game?
No, he's in Fuertaventura for 10 days!

Bartessa

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down