Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Concord game

+13
Twerton Parker
Marc Monitor
LB
BenE
miker
pete mac
Steve Whites Missus
Roman Mike
yuffie
London Calling
2weirdtown
Luton Roman
comrade powell
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Concord game Empty Concord game

Post by comrade powell Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:02 pm

That was awful. 2 games every week, coupled with Trophy exit, appears to be having an adverse effect.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Concord game Empty Re: Concord game

Post by Luton Roman Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:06 pm

That was poor.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:10 pm

Big let down on community day'.  Couldn't get going really, looked a bit tired but scrapped away against one of those difficult sides.  Looked to be heading for the win but of course had to let it slip at the death.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by London Calling Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:11 pm

Did their goalie have a single thing to do in the second half? I can't remember anything. Don't know whether to put that down to tired legs or bad tactics really. Some of our boys just don't seem to have footballing brains, often choosing to aimlessly hoof the ball up top rather than try passing it around. Having said that I thought Dan Bowman played well.

London Calling

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Mar 14, 2015 7:23 pm

Concord packed midfield and defence which made it difficult for us.  Hemmings for example got no space and spent most of the time scrapping for possession.   That said, our passing was woeful when we had the ball.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:10 pm

I would expect both sides to contact the league on Monday and ask to be deducted a point as neither deserved even that after this afternoon's 'entertainment'.

I think Martin's original post has summed it up perfectly. I did fear that after the effort that went into the Trophy run was ended in such heartbreaking fashion the season would fall away. I guess it's just as well we have enough points not to worry about getting dragged into the relegation scrap.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:38 pm

7 points from 21 in the league. Today was another game we should have won. It was poor quality with lots of our passes going astray. We seem to lack that ruthless / street wise ability to 'win ugly' and / or close games out. There will always be games like this in every season. We must acquire that killer instinct. Its all a bit spineless.
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:51 pm

The season was over after the loss at Weston. Playing the season out?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Mar 14, 2015 8:55 pm

On the plus side Nick McCootie seems to be warming into the games. Which is good as after the substitutions today it looked as if we had a team of midgets.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:36 pm

Team and fans still in post Ferriby shock.

But I was part of a sponsor group and we had a good day - thanks to the Club which put together a good event especially Bob Chester.

The game was woeful and I agree with Yuffie, both sides were dire. But as football fans we know we will have days like this.

I did get to chat with ex Coty keeper Kim Book and winger Alan Skirton - he of Arsenal. I told him he would have done a job out there today. In fact I think I could have it was that bad.

Let's make the community Club work and build a team for next season.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Sat Mar 14, 2015 9:44 pm

Agree with all the previous posts. Now that it seems that a play off place is most likely gone I would be happy to see the side that played against Farmborough have another go this coming Tuesday to give further experience / match time to the young uns and non regular players who played well and with great spirit making for an entertaining game. It would also give the usual first choice players a welcome break.

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Mar 14, 2015 11:50 pm

Agree with that. The likes of Mellor, Chaz, Walsh, Ball need a break or they are going to be burnt out within a fortnight. Likely to be a small crowd anyway on Tuesday, so I see nothing wrong with giving the young players more match experience. Or maybe save them for the return with Farnborough next Saturday, as they've shown they can beat them!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Mar 15, 2015 10:26 am

It will be interesting to see whether Adie and Archie go with the youngsters because they never have before (Farnborough an exception because of the circumstances).

I would agree that the play offs are too distant now and I cannot see the side suddenly becoming re-energised anyway. We only had one scuffed shot on goal in the second half yesterday.

It was crying out for an input of vim.

BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Mar 15, 2015 12:55 pm

While I accept that there is a 'post North Ferriby hangover' how many times over the last few seasons have we seen points dropped at home because in the last 20 minutes we seem to sit back and invite the opposition to come at us. Even Staines almost got a point this season for exactly the same reason. Surely this is down to tactics (or the apparent lack of them) rather than the personnel. I know this is an old chestnut, but it would be nice to see our management on the touchline giving some instruction or encouragement when the game starts to go against us.

I was also surprised by the attendance yesterday. When it was announced at 775 most of the people around me looked around the ground and wondered who had been included in the count, because there didn't seem to be any more there than on occasions when it has been given as around 500.

Hopefully the season won't fizzle out - the problem we have is that virtually all the teams we have left to play have something at stake at one end of the table or the other.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:01 pm

Agree with everything really especially that Bowman had a good game. The only thing to add is that there was never 770 people there. They must be including season ticket holders whether they turn up or not. Can't really put a finger on why it wasn't as well attended as last year's. Post Trophy hangover, Six Nations on TV, Siberian wind? Shame really but, at least, there weren't many to be put off by the match
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by London Calling Sun Mar 15, 2015 1:44 pm

I saw quite a few people sat in the family stand, they mostly seemed to be the girls who were playing football at half time and their coaches/parents. I'm rubbish at judging crowds but I thought there were a few more than there would normally be for a home Saturday.

London Calling

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Mar 15, 2015 3:07 pm

Yes I was part of Pete Macs Exiles party and brought a mate who is a first time visitor to Twerton and Scarborough fan. We were well looked after, City do this ever so well, recommend it to anyone who hasn't tried it, makes it a differnt type of day and you can go to terrace to watch if you want. And shook Dave Pratts hand when hecame up afterwards to thank him for all his hard work and goals. And that was it really. Not his day or City's. Then watched rugby in the Crown and missed our train back.

Concord didnt look like a side pushing for or interested in the play offs. Another one of those we should have finished off long before the end. Rollo on May and I can transfer my angst to Somerset.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Parker Sun Mar 15, 2015 5:53 pm

With the proposed change to a Community owned club being in the offing wouldn't it be good, regardless of whether or not there's anything left to play for this season, if the team could finish with a flourish and in so doing help whip up as much interest and enthusiasm for the club in the Bath public as possible?  It might also help set things up nicely on the pitch for next season too.

Twerton Parker

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Mar 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Indeed.

Luton Roman wrote:Concord didnt look like a side pushing for or interested in the play offs. Another one of those we should have finished off long before the end. Rollo on May and I can transfer my angst to Somerset.

It astonished me that Concord are so high. They were, well, as poor as us yesterday. It does show how you don't have to be that great to get into the play-offs in this league and we should definitely be aiming for that next season. We should also, however, learn from this season and take the Trophy seriously. While many fans get caught up in the FA Cup and obsessed with the idea of getting thrashed at Old Trafford or Stamford Bridge, this year has shown the there is a real possibility of getting to Wembley in the Trophy. I doubt whether we will have such a difficult run next year either.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Sun Mar 15, 2015 8:00 pm

Hugely dull game and disappointing result, for all the reasons already given.
I also thought the formation was all wrong, and it was unfortunate they we didn't try something different to break the midfield stalemate. For me it was very much like the first few months of the season when we seemed more interested in not losing, than winning. The outcome was therefore the same as those earlier games when we gifted points away.
A word about the back three - why was Walsh playing on the left of those three when we had Ball who is left footed or Galingah who has played there most of the season? Walsh got himself in trouble on several occasions in the first 20 minutes because he had to turn back onto his right foot to pass/clear, under pressure from the opposition.
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:08 am

I'm surprised there are so many posts after this lacklustre game.

Agree that Concord were poor and I kept thinking how on earth did they score three against us.

I thought the crowd number was about right but was surprised at how poor it was after the great second half against Ferriby. Obviously there are a lot of people who will only turn out if there is something at stake or we are playing teams people have actually heard of.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:09 am

oh and Bowman was MOM
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:47 am

Concord were far better in the first game of the season and we were far worse.

The numbers in the Family Stand boosted the crowd. It's usually pretty empty but was busy, and there are 250-300 seats.

I think we were just unfortunate with the whole Community Day. I think it was arranged months in advance. The club couldn't pick a day in advance in case of a trophy run, and little were we to know that by this point we'd have practically nothing to play for. In advance we knew the opposition wasn't going to encourage many more to come along, and the unusually cold mid-March weather didn't help. Last year it was all spot on - Chelmsford travel in numbers, we still had an outside chance of play-offs, the weather was ok and the game was great. This year it couldn't have been more opposite, sadly. Maybe if we hold it again we could choose a day in April or just pick a side who we know will bring more than 10 fans, which would help boost numbers further? I feel a bit sorry for those who worked so hard.

Dread to think how many will be there tomorrow. I think we could have a contender for the Hemel home attendance...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Mar 16, 2015 8:54 am

Well said, Junior. Bob Chester in particular had been working flat out to ensure everything ran smoothly on Saturday. Believe me, the sponsors lounge was absolutely heaving before the match. Yes, things did work against us for all the reasons you mentioned. I think an argument against holding the Community Day any later in the season is the hope that end of season attendances will be boosted by many being enthused by what they saw and wishing to return for more. I don't think that will be the case this time and doubt that it was after last year's successful day.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Mar 16, 2015 10:11 am

I guess you can look on the positive side slightly. Without any of their work we would have almost certainly played in front of a sub-500 attendance. You never know, if just one or two of those enjoyed their day at the football (if not the match itself!) then it is a benefit. We had a mascot the other week and in the programme it was noted that he'd been coming along since last year's Community Day.

Tomorrow is one of those nights where we could pay supporters for their attendance and we'd still struggle. We've had a lot of entertaining games so far this season, just a shame Saturday's wasn't one and tomorrow is another rather unattractive fixture.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next