Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park?

+21
SteveS
rabbit
Lord Bear
threeday week
Paul1978
county exile
City 'til we're relegated
the demon headmaster
comrade powell
Midsomer-steve
Eddie Hitler
BenE
footballfan
Matt_1376
Ashley
CityHatcham
Marc Monitor
Mark Tanner
Liam Shaw
Peteboa
Beau Nash
25 posters

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park? Empty Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park?

Post by Beau Nash Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:05 pm

Taken from - http://mtannersport.wordpress.com/2014/02/26/cardiff-match-day-experience/ (remove spaces and link will work)- I couldn’t believe that you could see a Premier League side for just £15, that’s only £3 more than watching Bath City! - How many people say we charge too much for our standard of football? 
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park? Empty Re: Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park?

Post by Peteboa Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:22 pm

£15 being an exceptionally low price ticket in an otherwise rip off league. But yeh I think £12 is too much but we can't possibly blame the club for this unless we are willing accept Southern league football. What we need is the moronic herd of premiersh*t fans to make a stand against such outrageous prices (like Dortmund, Schalke fans etc) or/ and a governing body who actually serves the interests of fans and not shareholders.

Don't see it happening any time soon  Crying or Very sad 
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park? Empty Re: Reasons You Don't Attend Games at Twerton Park?

Post by Liam Shaw Wed Feb 26, 2014 10:46 pm

I personally wouldn't say it is too much because you pay to go and get behind your team and support them whatever standard they may play at. Like i would rather watch Bath on a Saturday afternoon than most premier league ties that are the same price as a city game, this is because i want to watch bath because thats who i support and theres a meaning for me going unlike a premier league game. I go to games to get behind the team i support, not to see football thats a bit better than average.

Liam Shaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:16 pm

I couldn't believe my eyes that there were empty seats in Cardiff for that price, if you read on in the article there was 10,000 less fans than they get for a league game. Now on their site (which is the same as every top flight site, a bit soulless, but does a really efficient job) the lowest priced ticket normally was in the family stand at £20 for the lowest 'ranked' game. So their fans were saving £5 on their lowest ticket price, crazy just such a shame they couldn't fill their ground. I said as much to an email to them and praised their ticket price for that game.

I'll be doing my non league match day experience next, but might take about a week to get it just right! Then there will be the conclusion taking in other fans views!

Coming back to Bath though I think pricing will always be a problem as at this level you still have a generations of failed footballers who have been 'burnt' by the club in the past because they haven't made it with them. This same problem happens everywhere, until they put a cap on Premier League wages and spending crowds will just keep dropping away because average joe doesn't care about identity anymore (as the world is a global village now) and doesn't want to watch football that "I could do better than those clowns on pitch".

Anyway I hope that makes some sort of sense, I think I may have broken a forum rule, never post when you're tired!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Feb 26, 2014 11:55 pm

Cardiff is a very specific situation. In their ascendency, I found it difficult to afford or, often, get tickets even if I could afford them. Now, they are haemorrhaging money, season tickets are about to be renewed and it looks like they are going to have a lot going spare. The low price is, I would say, a loss leader, an incentive to get newcomers interested in paying for a season ticket.

It's not "a shame they couldn't fill their ground" as they have sold out their identity, heritage and history to whore themselves to a succession of rich tyrants just for their shot at "the Prem". Well, now they are reaping what they sowed. It will serve them right if they get relegated, go into freefall and go bust when Tan leaves for his next plaything.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:31 am

Here's an idea to increase attendances - http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/feb/26/one-direction-louis-tomlinson-doncaster-rovers - now who do we have, Hacksaw?  lol!

(as per usual remove spaces in link to make it work)  Rolling Eyes
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Thu Feb 27, 2014 8:34 am

When The Family Rain get that big I'm sure Ollie would be up for a run out, just so long as they get the bus in time!

Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by CityHatcham Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:18 pm

The price doesn't put me off personally but I go on my own (i.e. no kids to pay for), make a decent wage (when I'm working anyway), and also as an exile 3-4 games a season is no big deal on top of the train fares to Bath I've paid anyway to visit my mum (always "coincidentally" when there's a home game of course although I think she's cottoned on!!)

BUT - yes I can't help but think that the league needs to radically reprice across the board. It would have to be a "big bang" with all clubs doing it at once for maximum publicity and making it clear that it was permanent, but as long as the matchday experience was pleasant I think it would pay off for most clubs.

It's hard to predict though, I could be completely wrong and if I am it would obviously be a disaster in lost revenues.

Also I think the government should reduce taxes for amateur or semi-pro clubs. If we subsidise the "high" arts and culture why not support traditional social culture through tax breaks, especially as it has the proven ability to increase social cohesion, reduce isolation etc etc.

So to conclude, the government should run a pilot programme whereby it guarantees the lost revenues of one or two non-league clubs who agree to lower their matchday prices to £5/adult for a season, just to test how locals respond in advance of a potential future "big bang" across the board repricing. And obviously the test club should be Bath City  Surprised 

CityHatcham

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Thu Feb 27, 2014 12:56 pm

Surely the Chelmsford game will help to show if price is an issue?

If we get the same crowd (let's hope not!) then it'll show that it's completely irrelevant. If we get 6,000 or something silly it will show it's the only factor.

Obviously it will be somewhere between the two, but if we can work out an average payment it could suggest what people think is a fair price.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Feb 27, 2014 6:16 pm

Beau Nash wrote:Here's an idea to increase attendances - http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/feb/26/one-direction-louis-tomlinson-doncaster-rovers - now who do we have, Hacksaw?  lol!

(as per usual remove spaces in link to make it work)  Rolling Eyes

Oi, The Lone Sharks as well. That's got to be, at least, 5 people.

...less.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:27 pm

Yes as tannawr says, a salary cap is the obvious solution. The Germans are rarely wrong
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt_1376 Thu Feb 27, 2014 7:34 pm

Ha ha - that quick reply thing doesn't work, and I'm not going to bother typing out everything again I just tried to post!

So I'll keep it simple - "train fares"!  Mad 
Matt_1376
Matt_1376

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:05 pm

oh ah, train fares and football ticket prices along with the eat your lunch at office desk culture...are of the worst things about this country IMO lolz.
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by footballfan Fri Feb 28, 2014 1:22 am

I no longer attend games at Twerton Park because I simply couldn't accept the casual manner in which relegation from the conference premier in recent years was taken so lightly (or at least appeared to be the case).

A team that puts the ball in the back of the net will get the crowds pouring in, a team that doesn't, will not get significant support, especially at non league level.

When I hear about suggestions of marketing problems etc it just baffles me really that the bigger picture seems to be missed. Football is a sport not just a social activity. By accepting relegation like some did it's no different from a restaurant serving cold soup and expecting people to be happy with it.

I am aware that financially football is in a mess and I have sympathy with the board etc in how to budget for a winning side and keeping the club ticking over. It's a bit of a vicious circle but if you focus too much on the latter then you're shooting yourself in the foot big time, and frankly I think the damage has been done to the club's reputation to the point where it may even be beyond repair.

You'll get the few diehards, but as for attracting the mass Bath public to watch sport just for the sake of watching it, then I think there's is an uphill battle ahead.

Stating the obvious I know about why people like to see a winning football team, but the way the club appeared to just throw away all the hard work done to achieve conference premier status was for me a price too high even if finances were the main concern.

That said I share the concerns of the pricing of football even if the club were winning regularly. But I'd rather pay £10 for a top of the table clash than pay a fiver for an average midtable game.

footballfan

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:07 am

As suggested elsewhere there is an optimum price for entry that will maximise income but we don't know if we have it. Would more people turn up if it was cheaper - I doubt it really. People have other things to do with their time. By and large I think people will pay whatever something costs if they want it.

What Bath City need to do is make people want to come.

We played some super football in the conf prem in the first season and became the highest non professional side in english football while playing it. But the wheels came off in the second season - basically Mohammed and Sido left - and it has been a steady fall back since then to the tried and trusted approach.

I haven't been to a game at twerton where I thought we could give a side a tonking. Quite often if we get a goal up we attempt to shut up shop. That might be satisfying for the coaches but it isn't for fans and we have come unstuck this season a few times.

We have been in the play off places but there has never been a feeling of optimism associated with it. That is a strange scenario.

I think these are things we need to address at Bath City.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:22 am

I haven't read all the above, it seems a perennial debate about attendances, attractiveness of the product etc. but on a personal note I can say that one thing that would stop me from coming to Twerton Park are managerial actions like last week. I don't want to be a supporter of a club who treats it's players poorly, as well as making decisions like this which appeared to cost us 3 points.
I know I'm cutting across two threads here, but to me they are linked. I am a generally mild-mannered supporter, but the treatment of players is important to me as they affect the reputation of the club, and this would make me walk away. We are lucky to have had some great characters in our team in recent seasons who have committed to the club and who have been treated poorly in terms of their 'release' - Adie Harris, Gethin Jones, Kerry Morgan, Charlie Clough. Some might have been considered difficult personalities but isn't that what management is about?
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Fri Feb 28, 2014 4:08 pm

Eddie Hitler wrote:I haven't read all the above, it seems a perennial debate about attendances, attractiveness of the product etc. but on a personal note I can say that one thing that would stop me from coming to Twerton Park are managerial actions like last week. I don't want to be a supporter of a club who treats it's players poorly, as well as making decisions like this which appeared to cost us 3 points.
I know I'm cutting across two threads here, but to me they are linked. I am a generally mild-mannered supporter, but the treatment of players is important to me as they affect the reputation of the club, and this would make me walk away. We are lucky to have had some great characters in our team in recent seasons who have committed to the club and who have been treated poorly in terms of their 'release' - Adie Harris, Gethin Jones, Kerry Morgan, Charlie Clough. Some might have been considered difficult personalities but isn't that what management is about?

My feelings exactly.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Matt_1376 Fri Feb 28, 2014 9:08 pm

Going back to my earlier post and train fares.

Yes, I moved back oop North several years ago, but still managed to make at least 5 or 6 home or away games a season (like I did last season). When City where in BS Prem I went to quite a few games (especially up North) and the train fare cost me buttons)

This season I have only managed ONE game (home or away) at TP (Boreham Wood in December).

I was planning on going to Gosport away over Easter and even (still) have a hotel room booked in Portsmouth. But, because it's Easter there are no cheap train fares. I'm looking at £110 minimum on train fare to get down to Portsmouth. If the game was the following weekend it would only cost me £66.

Okay, I know I now live up north, but when I lived in Bath (a 5 minute walk from the ground!) I went to every game, no matter how well we were playing.

That's what is called being a supporter!

Okay, I know everyone's financial circumstances are now preventing them from attending games at TP, no matter how close they live to the ground; but the refusal to go to games because you don't like the style of play or the management are, in my opinion, petty reasons for not attending.

If you feel so strongly that your voice should be heard then go to TP and picket the entrance gates!  Shocked 
Matt_1376
Matt_1376

Back to top Go down

Post by Peteboa Fri Feb 28, 2014 11:50 pm

Some interesting points for sure. I would say that refusing to attend because you don't like the style of play isn't petty, it just means you aren't a real City fan. However, for obvious financial reasons we should be conscience of this 'market segment'  Suspect and try to play attractive football whenever possible. Tbh there doesn't appear to bemany Conf South teams who are particularly easy on the eye although I thought Sutton looked good.

I am confident that reducing ticket prices would not make financial sense. A price reduction of £2 would not entice more people to a game than a £2 increase would deter. Put bluntly it's not the £12 ticket that is the problem for most it is the proposition of watching Bath City vs Concord Rangers.

We are a non league club in the 6th tier playing in a relatively poor league. Important to remember that sometimes. I love the scene don't get me wrong but sadly most don't and never will
Peteboa
Peteboa

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Mar 01, 2014 8:43 am

Eddie Hitler wrote:I haven't read all the above, it seems a perennial debate about attendances, attractiveness of the product etc. but on a personal note I can say that one thing that would stop me from coming to Twerton Park are managerial actions like last week. I don't want to be a supporter of a club who treats it's players poorly, as well as making decisions like this which appeared to cost us 3 points.

Well said! I would add Charlie Griffin to that list of players at the end and don't forget many volunteers who did so much for the club over the years and walked away because of the previous leadership. I refused to let that force me to do the same but I came very, very close over the Foundation episode. Don't underestimate the damage which was caused in the 2 years after Geoff Todd stood down as chair - it will take a lot to get some people back to TP.

Going back to treatment of players, I think we have a reputation for looking after them. I occasionally have a chat with returning stars and most say the same, that City was a great club to be associated with. One exception was Mike Denton, who left under a cloud back in the 60s. However, despite the best efforts of a certain person, he was treated wonderfully when he returned last August.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:37 am

Peteboa wrote:Some interesting points for sure. I would say that refusing to attend because you don't like the style of play isn't petty, it just means you aren't a real City fan. However, for obvious financial reasons we should be conscience of this 'market segment'  Suspect and try to play attractive football whenever possible. Tbh there doesn't appear  to bemany Conf South teams who are particularly easy on the eye although I thought Sutton looked good.
yes, Sutton were very good when they came to TP and hopefully are rewarded at the end of the season. It will be interesting to see how Bromley play at home today. I thought they were horrible in the 1st game, but were easily the best footballing team in the 2 games against us last year. If I was a neutral living in SE London, I would certainly have paid to watch them on a fairly regular basis. Perhaps managers cannot trust an attractive style to be successful. Our championship team of 78  were an exception, but they were an exceptional team. But then I think of the powerful Leeds team of the same era and the anti-football they played. And many won't agree with your definition of a true City fan...
I am confident that reducing ticket prices would not make financial sense. A price reduction of £2 would not entice more people to a game than a £2 increase would deter. Put bluntly it's not the £12 ticket that is the problem for most it is the proposition of watching Bath City vs Concord Rangers.

We are a non league club in the 6th tier playing in a relatively poor league. Important to remember that sometimes. I love the scene don't get me wrong but sadly most don't and never will
well that's the club's job to entice them. I hope they don't share your view!

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sat Mar 01, 2014 1:01 pm

Distance and time away from family are the reasons most of the games I see are away from home.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by City 'til we're relegated Sun Mar 02, 2014 8:45 am

We should boycott Mayday Trust Park, stopping people going to matches etc until the club is in League 1. That will send a message to the board and make them hurry up with getting us there.

City 'til we're relegated

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:53 am

Coventry City fans are currently boycotting all home games. The owners take absolutely no notice.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by county exile Sun Mar 02, 2014 4:27 pm

Peteboa wrote:-

Newport are reducing prices for Tuesday's league match against Fleetwood to £5 for anywhere in the ground. Whether that will lead to an increased attendance for two sides chasing a League 2 play-off spot remains to be seen.
county exile
county exile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 4 1, 2, 3, 4  Next