Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Altrincham

+13
pete mac
RUDI GULITS
London Calling
Corstonian
Marc Monitor
bonzodog
Beau Nash
comrade powell
Ashley
Twerton Parker
Dave N
kermit
Luton Roman
17 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

City v Altrincham Empty City v Altrincham

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 24, 2015 2:28 pm

Bowman, Kington and Stearn on bench. Allen starts.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

City v Altrincham Empty Re: City v Altrincham

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 24, 2015 3:49 pm

0-0 ht

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:42 pm

1-0 Walsh 78m

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 24, 2015 4:52 pm

City win 1-0, into the last 8 we go.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:04 pm

Nothing easy, or 'not very difficult' left in the draw
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:08 pm

Mike York told me at Wealdstone we're going to Wembley, sorted.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave N Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:40 pm

Torquay won 2-0 today, so still possible to meet them!

Dave N

Back to top Go down

Post by Twerton Parker Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:46 pm

Great game today and oh so nice to have something to cheer about in the 125th anniversary year! Dare I say it, but let's let the good times roll..........

Twerton Parker

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:04 pm

Luton Roman wrote:Mike York told me at Wealdstone we're going to Wembley, sorted.

He told me he couldn't see us scoring today?!

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:13 pm

Following the wins at Rovers and Wealdstone, this was yet another fantastic team performance. Really feared we had missed our chance once Alty got into their stride after the opening half hour, but we stepped up several gears after ht, assisted by some inspired substitutions. That's 2 clean sheets against Conf Prem opponents and in both games we have finished the stronger. We've had to wait an awful long time for a decent run in this competition - many congratulations to the squad and management for what they have achieved so far!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:15 pm

Scrappy first half and Alty had most of the possession for ALL of the game but we guts it out.

Official man of the match was Chris Allen but Wlashy didn't put a foot wrong, Dan Ball and Galls were close behind and Dave Pratt defended, in the left midfield position for the last 20 minutes, as well as anyone; so any of those before Chris.

Good turnout from Alty, at least 100, total attendance 863.
Very Happy
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:21 pm

Obviously watching a different game to me, Nash! We had majority of possession in 1st and last 20 minutes.

Like their manager, their forum is bleating about the ref not awarding them penalties. They looked to be playing for them...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:24 pm

Fantastic second half. Should have won by more. But who cares! Bloody brilliant result.

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:31 pm

I think the turning point was that fantastic shot from the edge of the penalty area (Big Chaz?) which was deflected over the bar with the keeper probably beaten. we started to really believe in ourselves from that moment....
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:49 pm

Thought Altrincham did very well in breaking up our play while not doing a huge amount going forward. Primarily I thought that it would end up 0-0 with us going back for a beating at their place. However, one goal always looked like it would win it and, luckily, it was ours. It could have easily been their goal on a couple of occasions.

As far as inspired substitutions are concerned, I have to say that, while Stearn and Diallo did well when they came on, McCootie again looked second best to every ball. As has been mentioned, Pratty was back defending and did all he could to chase every ball while while McCootie just seemed, I hate to say it, lazy.

Still, small criticisms as we won and are looking good with the Trophy form seemingly rubbing off on the league.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Corstonian Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:23 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:McCootie again looked second best to every ball. As has been mentioned, Pratty was back defending and did all he could to chase every ball while while McCootie just seemed, I hate to say it, lazy.

"Lazy" is a bit strong but I agree with the general point, and it was true in the Rovers game as well. Nick is a very promising player, capable of scoring quality goals as we've seen. But especially when coming on as a sub he should be tearing around closing people down and giving the defence a hard time in any way possible. This isn't happening and the management need to insist it does - even if it means making him watch videos of how Dave Pratt imposes himself on the game, and how the team reaps the rewards.

Corstonian

Back to top Go down

Post by London Calling Sat Jan 24, 2015 7:59 pm

Dave Pratt is immense, he just never stops working and must have fantastic levels of fitness. I thought the back four did an excellent job today, snuffing out every Altringham chance.

Looking at the teams that are left in, would anyone bet against us going all the way?

London Calling

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Jan 24, 2015 8:14 pm

comrade powell wrote:Obviously watching a different game to me, Nash! We had majority of possession in 1st and last 20 minutes.

Like their manager, their forum is bleating about the ref not awarding them penalties. They looked to be playing for them...

They're also whinging about the free kick that lead to the goal - that was superb refereeing and was definitely a foul (even if he did book the wrong player)!

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by RUDI GULITS Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:37 pm

great.great.great.great result
happy days
very good turn out also
lets hope for a good draw
what better way to celebrate 125 years than to reach Wembley
come on you stripes
the treble is still on Smile
RUDI GULITS
RUDI GULITS

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:54 pm

Just got back to Derby from Bath.

What a day.

Tactical triumph for Adie and Archie. We let them come on to us in the first ;( with a defensive midfield. Second half stepped it up with addelsbury and Allenmaking way.

Only one winner in the last 29.

It was line the old days with great support under the cover.

Reminded me why we have to save the Club for days like these.

Thought the back 4 were immense with Chas picking up in the second half. Diallo looks the real deal.

Fabulous!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:30 pm

Pete calls it exactly right. The Alty forum doesn't pay us enough respect for our tactical success. Our effort and organisation was superb and we timed our sprint to the finish line perfectly. So good to see the squad locked in joyful celebration at the end. Is a new bubble forming. Nothing like a cup run to really bring the magic back and shows there is more than financial rewards in this.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Jan 24, 2015 11:50 pm

Ashley wrote:
comrade powell wrote:Obviously watching a different game to me, Nash! We had majority of possession in 1st and last 20 minutes.

They're also whinging about the free kick that lead to the goal - that was superb refereeing and was definitely a foul (even if he did book the wrong player)!

Absolutely brilliant refereeing, fair play. I did say that before we even scored the goal as well.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:54 am

my mate, who is not a city fan, was very disappointed in McCootie. His lackadaisical approach stood out because everyone else really put in a big shift.

Have to agree about the tactical game. It worked to perfection. Fair play to the management who got it spot on.

I can't remember Alty having a shot on goal in the second half, or at least requiring Jason make a save. The defence were superb and by rights one of them should have got MOM. Gallinagh for my money.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sun Jan 25, 2015 11:18 am

Great team effort. The defence were immense and any one of walsh, gallinagh or ball could have won man of the match. I felt allen provided the spark to get us back on the front foot second half, it was starting to look a bit ominous either side of half time but his runs lifted the team. Pratty with his cameo at left back was inspiring- he is probably our best player wherever we play him. I thought the subs were a good idea but I think both mcCootie and the new signing both looked a bit idle compared to the rest of the teams industry. Stearn did just what we needed him to do - relieved a bit of pressure. I didn't like the management berating him for failing to release mcCootie that time but that is a minor quibble. Everyone in this team is guilty of giving the ball away from time to time but I still feel when Ross does it there is too much reaction. He is what he is,
Great day, and what a difference 800 plus in the ground makes and a vocal away support. Most of all it was just a cracking cup tie with loads of chances either end. We deserved it!

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:09 pm

I think Diallo looked really good. Very neat, didn't give the ball away, forward looking and linked up well. Agree about McCootie though. This seems to be his style rather than particular laziness. Getting the best out of him may take a while. However fitness and work ethic should be things that are easier to improve.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next