Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End?

+15
Luton Roman
striped67
Ancient Mariner
cannonball
miker
Micawber
old londoner
2weirdtown
Steve Hill
Dodgycarpet
stillmanjunior
pete mac
comrade powell
bonzodog
MaryS
19 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End? Empty When was terracing installed at the Bristol End?

Post by MaryS Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:48 am

I was recently discussing the "old days" at Twerton Park with my brother. I remember that when I first went along with my Dad and Grandad, we stood behind the Bristol End goal, which I'm sure had a bank behind the standing area. Neither of us can remember when the current terracing was installed, and I wondered if anybody on here could shed some light on this?

Cheers

MaryS

Back to top Go down

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End? Empty Re: When was terracing installed at the Bristol End?

Post by bonzodog Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:22 am

The terracing was built using money from the Plymouth FA cup game 76/77 season replacing the grass bank.

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

When was terracing installed at the Bristol End? Empty Re: When was terracing installed at the Bristol End?

Post by MaryS Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:55 am

Thank you Richard - much appreciated.

MaryS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 04, 2015 8:39 pm

The Plymouth cup matches were played in the season after that.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Wed Jan 07, 2015 10:52 am

I think it was in 1978 for the 79/80 season........I remember seeing the planning application when I worked at Avon CC in 1977

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:29 pm

I always thought it was older than that. Interesting though, does anyone have any photos of it pre-terracing? I'll probably do a bit about it in the programme for the "125 years to remember" page.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:37 pm

see page 117 of the good book! ye olde firste pinke buse is in the background...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Thu Jan 08, 2015 3:37 pm

I remember standing on the huge grass bank that was there before it. There were a few crash barriers on it as well. I recall the end being twice as deep as it is now.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Thu Jan 08, 2015 10:21 pm

Yes - you would have a line of spectators along the flat and a line along the top! Now what team that was......

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Hill Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:14 pm

I thought it was when rovers came to tp

Steve Hill

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Hill Fri Jan 09, 2015 9:16 pm

pete mac wrote:I remember standing on the huge grass bank that was there before it. There were a few crash barriers on it as well. I recall the end being twice as deep as it is now.
the flood lights were in the ground then in the late sixties we use to roly poly down there

Steve Hill

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:57 am

While we're in reminiscing mode what year were the air raid shelters lost? I remember them being there as a kid and remember them not being there but can't remember noticing them disappear (if that makes sense)

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Jan 10, 2015 9:15 am

They were the Marie Celeste of TP (along with Vaughan Jones). In fact did they ever exist in the first place? I think I sat on top watching the game, but is there any photo evidence of them?

By coincidence, Wealdstone's ground has a war relic in the form of a gun turret, which was erected to provide protection to the nearby Northolt airfield.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Jan 10, 2015 2:03 pm

There were 3 shelters behind the goal in a line - maybe 2. Slightly stepped.  Red brick blocks with flat concrete tops.  I used to stand on top of them most games.  I think they may have gone when they moved the poplar side roof forward.
They were certainly still there when we played a friendly V Man City late 60s as I remember having a good view of Joe Corrigan from there. Think it was either someone's testimonial or to celebrate installation of floodlights. Ended 4 or 5 all,
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by old londoner Sat Jan 10, 2015 5:02 pm

The original bank at the Bristol end disappeared very suddenly over the Christmas period in 1960/61 and was temporarily replaced by a huge stand built mostly out of scaffolding for the FA Cup Third Round tie against Brighton and Hove Albion. I presume that Ernie Mortimer, the then chairman (?) and boss of a local construction company, "lent" some labour and materials. When the temporary stand disappeared just as suddenly after we'd lost the match, there was a flat and very muddy area there for the rest of that season with a strange yellow clayey surface. As there'd never been more than a few people who'd stood at the bottom of the bank by the rail anyway, it's loss didn't affect capacity at all.

OL

old londoner

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Sat Jan 10, 2015 6:35 pm

The match against Man City was Tony Gough's testimonial. We played Arsenal in a friendly to mark the installation of the floodlights.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:37 am

Ooo I seem to remember a friendly against arsenal after Alan skirton rejoined. Was that a) me being wrong b) the same match c) a different match. I remember a big crowd. I could be confused of course.

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by Micawber Sun Jan 11, 2015 6:53 am

I'm pretty sure Alan Skirton was in the Arsenal side that day and it was a few years later that he rejoined us. It all seems pretty hazy after all these years so of course i may be wrong.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Jan 20, 2015 9:49 pm

Having a look through the Good Book I'm struggling to find an exact date for when the terrace was installed. There's mention of some upgrades in 1979 but not about the Bristol End. Kingswood Charlie also sent me a similar pic to one which Powell mentions.

Anyone have a clearer idea? I was going to write a bit about it for Saturday's programme.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:43 pm

Like Micawber I'm sure the Arsenal game was to mark the floodlight installation. I was very young and my Dad took me. I had never seen a floodlit game before and was spellbound, partly due to the fact that the pitch was covered in either snow or frost and with Arsenal playing in red shirts I can remember thinking that it looked like a Giant Christmas cake with lots of Santas running around. Ah, memories eh !!

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by cannonball Wed Jan 21, 2015 4:58 pm

Yes I can also confirm that the Arsenal friendly in 1964/65 or 1966??? was definitely to celebrate the new floodlights opening and Manchester City was Tony Gough's Testimonial match.....which was 5-5 I think?!!
I thought the current terracing was done when Bristol Rovers became tenants but I do remember the Bristol end being very full the day we played Plymouth Argyle in the FA Cup in 1977-78 but of course it might have been a temporary stand and not new terracing.
cannonball
cannonball

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:06 pm

I also think that the terracing was put in by Rovers but that the temporary stand was put in for the visit of Bolton but I could well be wrong, twas all a long time ago.

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by cannonball Wed Jan 21, 2015 5:38 pm

Yes a temporary seating stand at the Bristol end was most certainly in place for the Bolton Wanderers FA Cup game in 1964 and that was also full that day.

Anyone in that stand had a great view of the City goal scored by Ken Owens from Charlie Fleming's cross on the right......I can 'still' hear the massive noise of the 13,000 crowd when we scored because I had never heard anything like it before in my whole life.
cannonball
cannonball

Back to top Go down

Post by Ancient Mariner Wed Jan 21, 2015 9:52 pm

I think the terracing was in place before Rovers came to Twerton. I believe the funding came from a very successful club lottery. But I could be wrong!! I remember the Arsenal game, to mark the introduction of the floodlights. Strangely, I can't recall Skirton playing but I do remember Joe Baker who played a handful of games for England around that time.

Ancient Mariner

Back to top Go down

Post by striped67 Thu Jan 22, 2015 9:14 am

I've been coming to Twerton since '83 and always remember the terracing being there, so it must have been put in earlier than that....
striped67
striped67

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next