crrrrraaaaasssshhhhh

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

Re: crrrrraaaaasssshhhhh

Post by pete mac on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:28 pm

The Walsh header and then failure to stick with the on rushing forward was the problem. I prefer Keary at the back.

pete mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:50 pm

Walsh certainly hasn't been the dominating presence he was when he returned last season.
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sun Dec 21, 2014 4:51 pm

Not sure where in the thread anyone is blaming Stearn for the result?

The Walsh header was poor although I thought before that he was looking more like the player of last season. I have been impressed with Keary but still feel that Walsh is a better player and finding his way back after the injuey.

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Dec 21, 2014 5:53 pm

Dusty Lynfield suggesting, Britton-style, that he gave the ball away in the build-up to the goal. Of course, as the video shows, there was nothing of the sort. Again, however, there is discussion of Stearn because of the management's determination not to start him. If they started him for some games, it wouldn't become such a talking point either way.

As it goes, although the loss was specifically down to two players, I wouldn't even criticise them much. These things happen and any sensible person wouldn't drop a player down to one mistake (although, with Mellor, it is looking a touch habitual as well as his dreadful kicking but we haven't an alternative). The "If it was Stearn..." has already been mentioned here and I think we know how it would turn out. I agree, Walsh looked strong and my latter sentence was just a bit of facetiousness.
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS on Sun Dec 21, 2014 7:20 pm

Played well for the first 10 - 15 minutes and had a couple of chances but did not score. Wealdstone came back and I think the game was even enough for the next hour. Stearn came on for the last 20 minutes and we got back on top but once again did not score - but they did with the sucker punch.
Once again we did not make it count when on top, a pretty regular occurance. We need more of a killer instinct, this is more than just bad luck.

SteveS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster on Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:14 pm

Exactly we don't score enough goals, and are vulnerable therefore at the back. Not a great recipe, but putting it right is harder to figure out. I still think the players are good enough (mostly). It certainly suggests a start for Stearn is overdue; surely he will against WSM.

the demon headmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:21 pm

I was amazed that Pratt started the game after the way he was clearly struggling against Rovers. We have been told he has an injury. So why is he being played?

He is not the same player and we are thus not the same team.

Like Stearn, McCootie has not been given the chance. Neither is likely to be match fit - just like Walsh who has relegated a fit and solid Keary to the bench -and hence we are not seeing the best of them.

Resting Pratt to allow him to recover would have enabled one or the other to have a run of games. Just as a run of games has enabled Hemmings to find his form.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sun Dec 21, 2014 9:32 pm

yuffie wrote:
BenE wrote:
This is a management issue pure and simple.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who was stood near the dugouts who heard Rollo/Howells/Britton telling the players to stop passing the ball around and lump it forward after 10 minutes.

If not it's almost as if Wealdstone began to play better and force us into going more direct.

If they did at least they changed their mind at half time and told the players to go back to plan A in the second half.

So what do the management do? Have they no impact on a game at all? Why do they sit in the dugout?

Britton and Howells have favoured a tactic of knocking the ball into the channels for the whole time they have been here. It wasn't working on saturday and we persisted with it until Stearn was brought on.

I would like to offer an observation here about Bowman. It is my impression that he is a better player when on the Poplar side. He plays with a freedom and confidence that appears lacking when in front of the dugouts.

Having said this the introduction of Stearn gave him some badly needed support. Our midfield is very narrow and he had a torrid time against their robust left midfielder.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thomasmaxbaer on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:53 pm

Does anybody know where Simmo was today by the way?

thomasmaxbaer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thomasmaxbaer on Sun Dec 21, 2014 10:55 pm

Yesterday even

thomasmaxbaer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Dec 21, 2014 11:34 pm

BenE wrote:Like Stearn, McCootie has not been given the chance. Neither is likely to be match fit - just like Walsh who has relegated a fit and solid Keary to the bench -and hence we are not seeing the best of them.

I was thinking that you had a fair point with McCootie and that, if I were to criticise the management for not giving Stearn a fair go to get settled from the start, I had to say the same about McCootie and moderate my criticisms. However, he has had a fair few starts with not great returns. Similar with Hemmings when he was playing as a striker. The Stearn situation is very unique and very worrying.

Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-chris on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:18 am

thomasmaxbaer wrote:Does anybody know where Simmo was today by the way?

We were told before the match that Simmo was ill.
Midsomer-chris

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by thomasmaxbaer on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:18 am

Ok thanks I must not have been listening!

thomasmaxbaer

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:29 am

BenE wrote:
yuffie wrote:
BenE wrote:
This is a management issue pure and simple.

I'd be interested to hear from anyone who was stood near the dugouts who heard Rollo/Howells/Britton telling the players to stop passing the ball around and lump it forward after 10 minutes.

If not it's almost as if Wealdstone began to play better and force us into going more direct.

If they did at least they changed their mind at half time and told the players to go back to plan A in the second half.

So what do the management do? Have they no impact on a game at all? Why do they sit in the dugout?

Britton and Howells have favoured a tactic of knocking the ball into the channels for the whole time they have been here. It wasn't working on saturday and we persisted with it until Stearn was brought on.

You seem to think it is like FIFA or Football Manager where you can go into the settings and switch from passing game to long ball and back again.

For the first ten minutes on Saturday we knocked the ball around well - which was clearly our planned approach - but as an in-form Wealdstone side began to see more possession Kington and Allen couldn't get forward as much and Artus found himself covered by two or three players. Of course, at our level this then tends to force defenders into hitting it long much more. As I have said before if you read any CS message board after a team has lost their are supporters complaining about 'hoofball' tactics and why their manager insists they play like that. The second half saw us gain control of the midfield again - though that may have been because Wealdstone looked to sit deeper and hold on for a draw - and had Watkins put that chance away or Pratt late on we'd all be lauding Howells and Britton as tactical geniuses just like Artus did after the Rovers game.

I agree that Britton and Howells used to favour playing the ball down the channels - it was the plan that won us the Southern League and consolidated in the CS. Since then I think we have tried to play more football but, at the risk of repeating myself, at this level it's never going to be like watching Barcelona for 90 minutes every week.

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:46 am

I actually thought they all played very well and it was an entertaining game.

It was always a one goal will win it game but as ever a defensive mistake cost us.

I have been thinking about that hoofball and you are right Wealdstone pressed us higher up the pitch including putting someone on Mellor when he tried to clear the ball. Was that a management plan?

A lot of their players filled their shirts and it was evident to me that we needed to tire them out. You do that by playing it on the ground no matter what they try to make you do. As you say this is level 6 but they are all level 6.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Mon Dec 22, 2014 8:55 am

Marc Monitor wrote:
BenE wrote:Like Stearn, McCootie has not been given the chance. Neither is likely to be match fit - just like Walsh who has relegated a fit and solid Keary to the bench -and hence we are not seeing the best of them.

I was thinking that you had a fair point with McCootie and that, if I were to criticise the management for not giving Stearn a fair go to get settled from the start, I had to say the same about McCootie and moderate my criticisms. However, he has had a fair few starts with not great returns. Similar with Hemmings when he was playing as a striker. The Stearn situation is very unique and very worrying.

McCootie wasn't fit when he first came and I don't think he has had a proper run in the side since then. Remember he has stepped up a league as well.

Anyway my point was that neither are now Match fit.

Bobby Charlton once talked about being tonked by Ipswich. He said Man U players weren't match fit and it would never have happened later in the season.

While players like Gallinagh Hemmings and Kington have got fitter as the season has worn on because they are playing regularly Stearn and McCootie now look off the pace as Walsh has been. Danny Ball has had to do an awful lot of tidying up for him.

BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:34 am

yuffie wrote:As I have said before if you read any CS message board after a team has lost their are supporters complaining about 'hoofball' tactics and why their manager insists they play like that.

The issue with us is that we haven't got players big enough for long balls in the air whereas other teams have. We have very short players apart from Pratt who, while trying for every header, still isn't that big and Hemmings who is better at winning the balls where he is now but was awful at it up the pitch. Normally I would say that Walsh is the most trusted with a ball in the air but, as seen, even he can make mistakes. Some of our players appear to have heads shaped like 50p pieces when we do win the ball

yuffie wrote:I agree that Britton and Howells used to favour playing the ball down the channels - it was the plan that won us the Southern League and consolidated in the CS. Since then I think we have tried to play more football but, at the risk of repeating myself, at this level it's never going to be like watching Barcelona for 90 minutes every week.

Our most successful tactic has been a combination of the two. A passing game down the middle with occasional balls combined with balls being played into the opposition's right and left-back areas for the likes of Watkins, Stearn, Murray (as was) etc to either run into the box or cross the ball in. Both tactics work well with the technique and size of our players, Pratt being a brilliant header of the ball from a cross. What did for us in the Conference was panicking and a lack of trust in this tactic in the second half of the second season. Of course, even this tactic isn't going to work if you leave one of your most effective forwards on the bench for three quarters of the time etc, etc, etc....
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Palms on Mon Dec 22, 2014 9:45 am

BenE wrote: Remember he has stepped up a league as well.

2 divisions to be fair, only promoted with Paulton in the summer
Palms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:00 am

It always surprises me how Watkins escapes criticism and / or is never dropped. Of course he has talent and can be a live wire and I'd rather have him in my team than not... But, not sure if he is lacking in confidence or if teams have simply sussed him out (they often double up on him) but he doesn't score enough goals and doesn't seem to have the impact / ability to change games. And nobody ever mentions it. Perhaps its just me and I'll get shouted down here...
Roman Mike

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:41 am

BenE wrote:McCootie wasn't fit when he first came and I don't think he has had a proper run in the side since then. Remember he has stepped up a league as well.

You are partly right about his proper runs. He has been here for 21 games, started in 13 and, in that time, his longest run has been 4 starts and he has had 2 runs of 2 starts. However, those were in a stretch of 15 games where he wasn't in the squad for 5 games - twice as unused sub and three time not in the squad (due to injury?) - so 10 starts in 15 games is a pretty good run. In that time he scored his 4 goals, 3 in cups and 1 in the league.

In the same 21 game period, Stearn has started 2 matches (in a row, lucky him!), coming on as sub 16 times (twice on 90 minutes!), has been out of the squad twice and has scored 1 in the league and the two goals against Gloucester City. One of his sub appearances was coming on for Kyle Patten (who?) what was obviously felt better to start. His other three were scored before this period in matches where he started and played the whole match.

You are right about McCootie's stepping up a league but the stats above and just common sense suggests that McCootie should have been played in the manner that Stearn has been and vice versa. The other thing that struck me going through those stats is the amount of times Stearn comes on for Watkins where many would say that having Stearn, Watkins and Pratt on is our most potent attacking force especially with Chas in the holding midfield position he is now.

I had a quick look at Chas' stats and, in the same 21 game period, he started 16 times. Now, I can't remember when he moved back into midfield so effectively but it does highlight what we all knew in that he started games even during his torrid time as a striker.

So, yes, McCootie hasn't had the greatest of runs but crucially has had quite a lot of opportunity to prove himself, get into the game at this level and get himself match-fit and, quite honestly, isn't showing much improvement. Now, he may improve or lightning may strike twice and we find a more effective position for him as well. I genuinely hope so even if he is not as hard-working as Pratt. However, it shows to me that the management have made bad decisions with their signing and subsequent deployment of McCootie, in the initial signing of Hemmings (although they have been very lucky and landed on their feet with him) and with the management of Stearn.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Mon Dec 22, 2014 10:44 am

Roman Mike wrote:It always surprises me how Watkins escapes criticism and / or is never dropped.  Of course he has talent and can be a live wire and I'd rather have him in my team than not...  But, not sure if he is lacking in confidence or if teams have simply sussed him out (they often double up on him) but he doesn't score enough goals and doesn't seem to have the impact / ability to change games.  And nobody ever mentions it.  Perhaps its just me and I'll get shouted down here...

I have mentioned it before. I love Watkins as a player and he is potentially a great great player and we have seen flashes of it but the disparity in approaches to his less effective form and You Know Who's is equally baffling as the stats I have mentioned.
Marc Monitor

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:24 pm

The one thing we need is someone to compete physically with the agricultural defenders we face week in week out. If as Yuffie notes we won't be allowed to play like Barcelona then we need to have an option. That is where McCootie comes in.

He may not score and he may not set up goals but he gives the defenders something to think about that affords Dave Pratt the opportunity to nip in and score. You can't get a stat for that.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:31 pm

Roman Mike wrote:It always surprises me how Watkins escapes criticism and / or is never dropped.  Of course he has talent and can be a live wire and I'd rather have him in my team than not...  But, not sure if he is lacking in confidence or if teams have simply sussed him out (they often double up on him) but he doesn't score enough goals and doesn't seem to have the impact / ability to change games.  And nobody ever mentions it.  Perhaps its just me and I'll get shouted down here...

It cannot be denied that he doesn't score enough but I think he is consistently effective in the role he plays. As Marc says though the problem with leaving he-who-cannot-be-named out is that he was one of our two main scorers last season. When we are struggling for goals it appears to make very little sense.

BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:49 pm

Why done we play Walshy up front to give Pratty a rest? He's played there, experienced, can win headers, and we have options at the back, while we dont seem too have many up front.

Luton Roman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac on Mon Dec 22, 2014 12:51 pm

Agree with Gerry. He might do better up front than at the back......we certainly need a fit Pratty.......

WSM feels like a must win if we are serious about the rest of the season.

pete mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum