Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Twerton Foodbank donation drive at Saturday's match.

+3
Timbo_b-o-a
comrade powell
Marc Monitor
7 posters

Go down

Twerton Foodbank donation drive at Saturday's match. Empty Twerton Foodbank donation drive at Saturday's match.

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:28 pm

Building on last season's award of Conference South Community Club of the Year award to Bath City, the club have further strengthened links with the local community by designating Saturday December 20th match against Wealdstone as a fundraiser for the Bath Foodbank at Rose Cottage, High Street, Twerton

Bath Foodbank started up in the summer of 2011 and works on a voucher system. Vouchers are given out by local charities, social and health services, churches and schools. Each voucher can be exchanged for three days' meals for the household. The food is packed according to a list appropriate to the size of the household. In Bath, 45% of vouchers are given out because of benefit delays and changes; 33% because of debt or low income. High heating costs, sickness, job loss and domestic violence are some of the other causes of households suffering and going short of food. Three days is the period assessed as being the minimum time it takes for a client to receive longer-term assistance. Last financial year in the Twerton ward of Bath alone, 287 households received aid from Bath Foodbank. These households included 146 children. In total we’ve handed out 88 tonnes of food since we set up.

Bath Foodbank relies heavily on donations. They are currently fundraising to pay for a fourth storage container and need another £3000 so they can pay for it rather than lease. They can only collect food that’s on their “shopping lists” – all long-life, tinned or dried foods. The items that they are consistently short of are tinned meat products, long-life milk, long-life fruit juice, sugar, instant mashed potato, tinned sponge pudding and chocolate. We are somehow always well-stocked with baked beans, soup, pasta and tinned vegetables.

To this end, there will be buckets around the ground during the match for cash donations and a permanent donation basket has been installed in Charlie's for food donations at the match and in the future. Please feel free to donate food, cash or both! Dan Bowman, Paul Williams and Bob Chester from the club were at Rose Cottage tonight helping pack deliveries for those that desperately need food at this time of year especially.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Twerton Foodbank donation drive at Saturday's match. Empty Re: Twerton Foodbank donation drive at Saturday's match.

Post by comrade powell Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:56 pm

A really worthy cause - thanks for posting this, Marc. Do you know if it's being featured in this week's Chronicle?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Twerton Foodbank donation drive at Saturday's match. Empty Re: Twerton Foodbank donation drive at Saturday's match.

Post by Marc Monitor Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:00 pm

Yes, photos were taken tonight so hopefully it should be in the Chronicle on Thursday to publicise the match and the donation drive. Please spread the word around. Obviously, the Rovers match has somewhat dominated everything the last couple of weeks leaving us not much run-up to publicise. They do a brilliant job down there and could do with their profile being raised and it really helps embed the club in its local community.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:50 am

Great work Marc and great to see the club helping out its neighbours. I'll be sure to donate on Sat.
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:58 am

There will be coverage in the programme on Saturday with pics and a few words about this.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Tue Dec 16, 2014 1:21 pm

This is a great initiative.

I went to the Derby food bank a couple of weeks ago. We have been collecting food to donate as an office.

Interesting that many people were struggling because they had lost their jobs, run out of money and were waiting for benefits. They had to go to the food bank as a last resort to feed their family!!

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Dec 17, 2014 8:35 pm

Yes, Pete, I did some deliveries for them on Monday and, let's say, some people are closer to him than you would imagine. As mentioned, they tend to give three days' worth of food. Three days doesn't seem much but I expect it is a bloody lifetime if you are trying to feed a family.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Dec 18, 2014 7:19 pm

Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Dec 18, 2014 9:27 pm

Marc, has anything been posted on the Wealdstone forum flagging this up?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:49 am

Thanks for the link Marc.

I'll tweet Wealdstone now Martin, and look at their forum.
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by Mark Tanner Fri Dec 19, 2014 10:03 am

I tried registering for their forum but they don't like gmail or Hotmail addresses so I'm stumped!
Mark Tanner
Mark Tanner

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a Sun Dec 21, 2014 1:12 pm

Any idea how much was raised yesterday? Seemed to be some healthy donations and Wealdstone fans' apparently very generous too..
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Dec 21, 2014 3:21 pm

Not yet counted up yet, Tim but the basket was completely full by kick off and, yes, the Wealdstone supporters were brilliantly generous as well. I will give a total here when the Foodbank get back to me and thanks to all for all your contributions.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Dec 21, 2014 8:08 pm

Refusing to be overshadowed by the Wealdstone Raider's appearance, the Bath City Foodbank donation drive at the home match against Wealdstone on Saturday December 20th December was a great success. The large collection basket was full of essential food goods requested by the Bath Foodbank (http://bath.foodbank.org.uk/) well before kick-off thanks to the astonishing generosity of the Bath City supporters. This will help those in need throughout Christmas and beyond. Fans of the Romans also helped donate a massive £407.40 which will aid in the purchase of a shipping container for storage of food at Bath Foodbank's base in Batheaston. It was also mentioned by collectors that the Wealdstone supporters were exceptionally generous with cash donations as well. The basket will be a long-term fixture in Charlie's bar at Twerton Park for further food donations at home games. Thanks to all supporters for their generosity.Twerton Foodbank donation drive at Saturday's match. 10872373_10153092751803132_1142867589_n
Twerton Foodbank donation drive at Saturday's match. P1020107
Twerton Foodbank donation drive at Saturday's match. P1020106Twerton Foodbank donation drive at Saturday's match. P1020110

Last edited by Marc Monitor on Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Dec 28, 2014 8:06 am

Don't forget that the basket is still in Charlie's (next to the Christmas tree) today for donations of tinned and dried food. There is a morrison's and co-op in front of Twerton if you want to pick something up. Let's keep up the good work!
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:28 pm

Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Tue Dec 30, 2014 12:52 pm

Don't forget that the Foodbank basket is still in Charlie's for donations of tinned meat products, long-life milk, long-life fruit juice, sugar, instant mashed potato, tinned sponge pudding and chocolate. Morrisons is definitely open if you don't want to carry tins too far. Let's keep up the generosity!
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Grandma Gibbons Fri Jan 02, 2015 11:09 am

Marc Monitor wrote:Don't forget that the Foodbank basket is still in Charlie's for donations of tinned meat products, long-life milk, long-life fruit juice, sugar, instant mashed potato, tinned sponge pudding and chocolate. Morrisons is definitely open if you don't want to carry tins too far. Let's keep up the generosity!

Where in Charlie's is the Foodbank basket as I looked for it yesterday but couldn't find it?
Grandma Gibbons
Grandma Gibbons

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Jan 02, 2015 12:41 pm

Thanks for that, Alison and sorry, I wasn't there as I was stuck on the hard shoulder of the M4. I thought it was by the Christmas tree and the large TV. I will check with the club.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Jan 02, 2015 4:22 pm

Hi Alison, apologies for that. It appears that the basket didn't appear in the bar after Christmas and I haven't been there to ensure that it was. It will be in situ for the next home match.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down