Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

East Thurrock

+19
sportinessex
suffolkexile
Matt_1376
yuffie
Ashley
BenE
comrade powell
gaz777
rabbit
SteveS
Bridgeyate
Beau Nash
Mcnulty
bonzodog
2weirdtown
Marc Monitor
Luton Roman
Terrie K
LB
23 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

East Thurrock - Page 2 Empty Re: East Thurrock

Post by Matt_1376 Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:25 pm

comrade powell wrote:We were weak all over the pitch, but until this defence, including the keeper, start showing consistency we are going to struggle to avoid defeat. But credit to Thurrock - our goal seemed to galvanise them and they would have beaten better sides than us today. And to think we looked so strong away from home before last Saturday.

Apparently Mellor doesn't like wearing a cap  - well I suggest the management find an alternative keeper in conditions like today's. I don't think I've seen such a ridiculous sight as his shielding his eyes for long periods in the 2nd half, while being all at sea with crosses into the box and even back passes from his own players.

I'll give him my Bath City cap, that you kindly arranged for me to purchase back in April, for free! No

I couldn't listen to the commentary this afternoon but managed to log on to matchat for a few minutes in the 2nd half and thought I was being told a porkie when someone said it was 6-1, and then 7-1. Suspect
Matt_1376
Matt_1376

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:28 pm

To my mind at our level it is a simple fact that on a handful of occasions you have to mix and match home and away kits. I accept that you wouldn't choose the black/white and blue combination but I fail to see how it is somehow 'unprofessional' that we had to wear it today.

I imagine had we won today nobody would have worried about it at all. Possibly even claiming it was a lucky combination that we should wear more often.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bridgeyate Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:41 pm

Its a bigger picture than that.win or loose .

Bridgeyate

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Oct 25, 2014 11:41 pm

And Newcastle United wore this colour combination from 1897 to 1920!

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by suffolkexile Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:05 am

To sum up yesterdays performance, myself and my boys left 20 minutes before the end yesterday, 40 years a supporter and I dont ever remember leaving before the final whistle. If I want to watch hoofball I will go and watch my local u12 side. Dont recall a single pass along the floor by us all afternoon. Maybe having seen the games at Concorde, Bishops Stortford and now yesterdays I have not seen the best the team has to offer but I doubt I will bother to go to Chelmsford next month....have better things to do with my money

suffolkexile

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:51 am

Is it now time for a change in management?

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

East Thurrock - Page 2 Empty Our match report...

Post by sportinessex Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:20 am

sportinessex

http://www.sportinessex.com

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:23 am

Richard111 wrote:Is it now time for a change in management?

It's certainly time for the board to review the management structure at the club. Cup exits like yesterday's tend to result in some sort of re-shuffle. The club have missed out on a wonderful opportunity to reach the 1st round and the financial gains that can bring. And whether they like it or not, an increasing number of loyal supporters are questioning what is going on at our club.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:57 am

To my mind it is how the management team and players respond to this result in the next few games. It was a freak result, but if it now heralds a dip in the league form between say now and Christmas then maybe it will be time for a change.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:28 am

I don't think it was a freak result. If someone was to ask were Thurrock 6 goals better than us for the last hour of the game, my answer would be yes, they were.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:32 am

yuffie wrote:
I imagine had we won today nobody would have worried about it at all. Possibly even claiming it was a lucky combination that we should wear more often.

Totally agree. And as it was worn in possibly the worst performance anyone present has seen from a City side, I'm sure you will agree it should be seen as an unlucky combination and never be worn again!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Bridgeyate Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:40 am

Are we frightened of change? if there is no response immediately we will suffer badly .The waiting game is a dangerous outcome.We need new management to match the calibre of the squad we have.

Bridgeyate

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Oct 26, 2014 11:45 am

comrade powell wrote:I don't think it was a freak result. If someone was to ask were Thurrock 6 goals better than us for the last hour of the game, my answer would be yes, they were.

A freak result in the sense that we are not going to lose by six goals to any side (let alone one from a league below) week in week out. On the day, of course, we were far and away the poorer side and thoroughly deserved to lose - although the final scoreline reflects Thurrock converting about 70% of their chances which is full credit to them but hardly a common occurrence - but it was still a one-off result.

As for an unlucky kit combination I am not going down that path as it heads inevitably towards lucky pants and the like Shocked

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:13 pm

Yuffie would have been ideal standing next to Hitler in the bunker....

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:17 pm

Bridgeyate wrote:Are we frightened of change? if there is no response immediately  we will suffer badly .The waiting game is a dangerous outcome.We need new management to match the calibre of the squad we have.

I think the answer to your question is probably yes. But the reality of the situation probably comes down to finance. The response you are probably calling for would involve the club appointing a team manager, who would expect to be paid a salary. I assume the budgets for the season, including the one devoted to the players, was based on the arrangement we have had for several years. If that's to be changed mid-season, presumably big cuts will have to be made elsewhere - we've seen players depart before after cup exits - is that a risk the board are willing to take? Perhaps they will put yesterday down to a freak result and hope we start to make an impact on the top of the table in the coming weeks. Like you, I don't think it's a likely scenario and would hope the board will come out with a statement before next Saturday outlining to fans what their response to yesterday's defeat is.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Oct 26, 2014 2:55 pm

Richard111 wrote:Yuffie would have been ideal standing next to Hitler in the bunker....

A distasteful though somewhat unsurprising analogy.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:42 pm

The thing is, is having a free manager and Director of football now costing the club more money? Is the lost revenue in attendances and cup money matching or more than the salary of a manager? Probably not but it is looking somewhat like a false economy.

Hearing that the management are offering no comment is adding insult to injury.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:25 pm

As someone who hates these post match interviews with managers, I think they were totally correct to remain silent. While I'm sure the Chronicle will get some response during the coming days from them, personally I'm more interested to hear from those who run our club.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:09 pm

I'm content with the no comment stance. Better to have a considered opinion than something when emotions are running high. They probably realise they would be damned if they do and didnt satisfy everyone's needs for the degree of apology, and damned if they didnt.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by bone ash Sun Oct 26, 2014 6:13 pm

yuffie wrote:
Richard111 wrote:Yuffie would have been ideal standing next to Hitler in the bunker....

A distasteful though somewhat unsurprising analogy.

Yes it was distasteful. Emotions always run high at times like these, but can we please show respect to other forum members, even if we do not agree with them. Thanks.

bone ash

Back to top Go down

Post by Eddie Hitler Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:38 pm

Marc Monitor wrote:The thing is, is having a free manager and Director of football now costing the club more money? Is the lost revenue in attendances and cup money matching or more than the salary of a manager? Probably not but it is looking somewhat like a false economy.....
Could someone be attracted on a performance-related basis I wonder, based on attendances and cup-winnings?
Eddie Hitler
Eddie Hitler

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:16 pm

Are you sure that Howells is not paid? I always thought that although Adie was not paid Howells was.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Mon Oct 27, 2014 7:24 pm

East Thurrock are off to Hartlepool

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:22 pm

Ashley wrote:East Thurrock are off to Hartlepool

Phew.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Oct 27, 2014 8:25 pm

I bet the club and most supporters would rather be going to Hartlepool than Ebbsfleet
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next