Eastbourne

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

Go down

Re: Eastbourne

Post by cannonball on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:03 pm

Credit where credit is due and yesterday was a bit more like it in every way.

If we could play like that most weeks at Twerton Park we would be back up to the 600 plus attendances fairly quickly. Yesterday's pitiful crowd - not helped by the Bath v Leicester rugby clash - was the bleak future staring us in the face if the home season had continued in the same vein as it had begun. Whether the signing of McCootie and the new formation was managerial brilliance or just sheer co-incidence due to injuries forcing the team selection in that direction, we seemed to have at last got ourselves some real 'home' positives to consider.

McCootie, as has been eluded to elsewhere in this thread, was OUTSTANDING and just the type of direct 'centre forward' the club has been missing for a long time. He is very strong on the ball, about 6'-2'' tall, fast and frightens defenders .....it does beg the question why he has been just down the road scoring goals at Paulton Rovers for so long and not playing for us, but he took the step up in standard like a duck to water - he really does look the real deal on yesterdays performance - why they took him off after 65mins did baffle me a bit but there you go?!

Pratt was awesome again and I have rarely seen a Bath City player put so much effort in to a game each week, time and time again. If only he could get his head up occasionally to see other options, he would be even better but how can you criticise him after a performance like that. His partnership with McCootie - who is someone who at last anticipates his headed flick ons - looks very promising indeed.

Even the much maligned Hemmings finally showed everyone that he could play abit and make things happen and if his deft chip had not been headed off the line and gone in it would have been just reward for a performance that I really didn't think he was capable of after previous performances.

A very good team performance, the fans went home very happy at last and the team got applauded off the pitch both at half time and full time and that hasn't happened for a very long time.

I am much more confident now about next Saturday's F.A Cup match against high flying Poole Town because even though they are a League below, they will be no mugs at all and before yesterday's game I was very concerned that because of our toothless ineptitude at home, our only chance of any meaningful extra money this season would disappear before it had really started.....play like yesterdays first 70 minutes and provided McCootie is not cup-tied, we have a great chance of progressing and earning a few extra desperately needed pounds.
cannonball

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:18 pm

Very good point about pratt's flick ons finally getting some reward. The man wins the majority of the headers from big jase's goals kicks - well the ones that stay infield! It really did make a difference though, in the past we always seem to lose the ball from the majority of our goal kicks and throw ins.
Btw I am fairly sure I read McCootie picked up a strain and so they took him off.
Hemings, apparently that is his favoured position and he looked a totally different player to the lumbering target man I thought we had bought. does beg the question why we played him up front in that first home game but I do not want to be too critical of the management after Saturday. The squad was down to the bare bones and they got it spot on in terms of selection and formation.

Mcnulty

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by cannonball on Sun Sep 21, 2014 5:33 pm

Well, if McCootie did have a slight strain that was good management with next Saturday's F.A Cup game looming.

Lets hope the management keep on getting it right at home from now on then because no matter how well you play away from home - and it seems we are still very competitive away from Twerton Park - if you are not winning AND entertaining at home, people will just not turn up to watch.....it is as simple as that really and with only just over 400 fans yesterday the club should heed the warnings if there is to be a future for Bath City.

Players like McCootie, Pratt, Watkins and Artus when fit and 100% committed performances like yesterday will help bring back some of the lost fans and go a long way towards eventual success.
cannonball

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:27 pm

Can only agree with everyone else. When I saw that Stearn and Bowman were back on the sub's bench, I thought "Oh, no". However, Pratt and McCooty were great. The latter looks like he has been at this level for ages. I think Watkins looks like he is getting back into the game a bit more. I would like to see him back in the goals however. Hemmings was a revelation. I wonder whether they have been playing him upfront to lull the rest of the division into a false sense of security. I think that Eastbourne were probably good value for a goal at least so I was happy to see a clean sheet and Mellor making some great saves (their keeper wasn't bad either). I agree about the shallow nature of the squad. What really brought it home was when he hurt his shoulder saving a shot and I realised we had no-one to replace him.

Anyway, don't want to gripe. Great performance and result and it is nice that there were three candidates for MoM (McCooty and even Hemmings in with a shot but, of course, Pratt more than deserved it). It would be lovely to see us comfortably trounce Poole, keep a clean sheet and avoid any morale-boosting banana skins.
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown on Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:01 pm

Agree with all that's been said.  Particularly Hemmings (Jaws) who's somewhat ungainly posture belies some quick thinking.
I think we defended well and in depth too, restricting Eastbourne to few clear cut chances.  In short, every player put in a shift which for me was the most pleasing aspect yesterday.
A mention too for Sekani who I thought had a great game.
Like others, I'm feeling less nervous about next Saturday now but make no mistake, Poole will be well up for it.
2weirdtown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor on Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:11 pm

Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown on Mon Sep 22, 2014 12:48 pm

Is that his kid brother in the photo?
2weirdtown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:48 pm

Hemmings is not a prolific goal scorer. A bit like Watkins. He also does not appear to lead the line well. No doubt his critics were not silenced for long.

But his contribution from midfield was tangible. Given the choice and on that little evidence I would prefer him to Adelsbury. I still struggle to see the latter's worth. He is so rarely anywhere near where the ball is. He has had one good game since he has been here - Chelmsford last season. Form he has never reproduced.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior on Mon Sep 22, 2014 1:57 pm

The problem with Adelsbury is he's had too many injuries to give him a chance to perform consistently. I doubt he's started more than five games in a row for us. I also thought he played well at Hayes last season when he had to fill in at centre-back during difficult playing conditions.
stillmanjunior

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:38 pm

He has performed consistently.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:13 am

I have delayed to adding to this thread thus far, but I must now add that Hemmings did not impress me as much as some of you are alluding to. Yes, he did play a lot better than we had seen him play before, and I think that this was due to where he was playing i.e. mid-field, but as a mid-fielder I thought he was just about adaquate at best. When he was in possesson of the ball he distributed it well, but he was woefully short of trying to gain possession, tackling, heading, and running off the ball. His attempted tackling could land him into trouble (two yellows already?) and a sending off would definately be detrimental to our attempt to steer clear of relegation at this moment in time. A significant improvement in performance maybe, but, given his showing before last Saturday, I will reserve judgement as to whether he will be an asset in the future.
Midsomer-steve

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Wed Sep 24, 2014 12:09 pm

Maybe, but I would argue that there isn't a great deal of quality in our midfield anyway. While not a great header of the ball, he does offer a physical presence in the middle - something which Adlesbury should provide but seldom seems to - and does appear to be a skillful passer. Kington's role continues to be rather anonymous, while Stearn will always be an enigma. I certainly think it would be worth persevering with Big Chas in midfield for a couple of games...
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:44 pm

I think Kington has to do a lot of work with Adelsbury in the side, and especially with Hemmings alongside him. Neither are particularly mobile. It is a bit like Chris Allen who also struggles to catch the attention at times because he is doing a lot of mopping up.

I thought Kington was terrific on Saturday.

I also think Midsomer Chris is right that it worked on Saturday but that lack of mobility is likely to be undone by more adventurous sides.

As I said in pre-season, everything you want from Ross Stearn is being coached out of him. Pratty had their left back on toast and yet Ross didn't get past him once.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Wed Sep 24, 2014 1:59 pm

And that's the coach's fault?
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Wed Sep 24, 2014 7:19 pm

In my opinion rather a lot has been made about his defensive responsibilities with the result that he is effective with neither those or attack.

But I may be wrong. He may just be rubbish.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown on Wed Sep 24, 2014 9:24 pm

No, he's not rubbish. He'll score on Saturday
2weirdtown

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content