Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v. Havant

+24
Micawber
cannonball
Peteboa
Mark Tanner
2weirdtown
stillmanjunior
Hughesy
Jon_BOA
Marc Monitor
Dodgycarpet
LB
Terrie K
RUDI GULITS
comrade powell
SteveS
Ashley
Beau Nash
BenE
Roman Mike
coltrane
bonzodog
kermit
pete mac
Luton Roman
28 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

City v. Havant - Page 3 Empty Re: City v. Havant

Post by comrade powell Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:53 am

I'm sure this debate will continue as long as the poor results do. A couple of wins and suddenly silence. That's the way of football fans and that's the way of forums. I'm with Geoff Boycott when it comes to the old chestnut "there's no one suitable to replace the person in the job" - when the debate on Alastair Cook's place in the England team was raging 2 months ago, Boycott simply argued that if he wasn't good enough, the management should release him. There are others who will step up to the mark and it's management's job to find them. In fact the cricketing management showed patience with Cook and they were repaid, even if England have faced pathetic opponents this summer.

There's also this view which is accepted as gospel that the duo are in place because they are free, and we would have to pay replacements. While the latter is probably the case, I do wonder if those who would have Adie out of the club grasp the implications it might have for Bath City.

I'm as shocked as anyone at our start to the season and expect a quick improvement on the shambles seen in 3 of our 4 matches so far. Even if a better replacement is out there, that person will be starting from scratch (unless it's Clarke or Rollo). The mantra on here is usually that the team should be given around 10 games before being judged - should there have been no improvement by the end of next month, and god forbid, an early exit in the cup, then it would be fair to look elsewhere.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:22 pm

Don't get me wrong, comrade. I don't think that anyone should be sacked - yet. I think that 10 games is probably enough and we won't get relegated from there even if this bad run continues .I am just setting out the options as I see them. I do, however, think the roles need to separated now, Britton needs to go into the stands and stay there and Howells needs to have the team tactics, formation and selection to himself and he can then be judged from there. If we still fail, then we know what the issue is and Howells should go. If he is successful, Britton stays in the stands and looks after player acquisition and other DOF duties (I am never sure what these are) and is judged on that.

I have a sneaking feeling that the half-time substitution was done by one person and the 80 minute was done by another. I would like to know who did the first and stick with them as coach. Of course, I am being flippant but therein lies the issue with management at the moment.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by bonzodog Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:29 pm

Midsomer-steve wrote:From Cannonball's posting - 'Where is it going wrong? Lee Howells has said in an interview that he just doesn't know....does Adie Britton know?'

That says it all - they have both got to relinquish their positions in the team's management - NOW, BEFORE IT IS TOO LATE.

I think one or two of their signings should have been an indicator that it was time for them to go......

bonzodog

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:40 pm

Again, this would be another reason to separate the roles. If, as assumed, Britton is solely in charge of player acquisitions then he stays and goes based on that. As I say, bless him, I would love to see Hemmings do well but he just doesn't look like a footballer at present. However, many were very impressed with some of the acquisitions in the close seasons as well as those retained or offered new contracts and those that were let go.

Personally, I think that Kington and Keary look promising, Artus definitely looks good and was missed on Saturday, Hemmings and Slocombe not so much presently. I am not sure why Zac Evans has gone out on loan and Hemmings not, to be honest.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:49 pm

Hughesy wrote:Craig laird ex Weston manager. Got Weston to 7th place finish season before last on one of the lowest budgets in the league and playing an attractive style of football . I know this because I'm a bath fan but have been to a number of Weston games when we have been away from home

Seeing as he left because the playing budget was so low there, I am not sure that he would be interested in us.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:04 pm

Marc Monitor wrote: I am not sure why Zac Evans has gone out on loan and Hemmings not, to be honest.

I would guess because Evans is a midfielder, a position we have plenty of cover for, and Hemmings is our only spare forward. My view on the latter is he has got to get fit quickly. If we had a fourth striker I'd send Hemmings out on loan at a lower level to get some games, get a few goals and boost his confidence. I think he scored an ok amount last season so he's clearly got something about him, it's not like we've taken a chance on a guy who's played lower leagues all his career, but so far this season he's looked a bit off the pace.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:42 pm

Have a look on the Havant forum.....one of their supporters recons that their keepers goal should have been disallowed !?

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:08 pm

Seemed perfectly legitimate to me and there were no complaints. What's the reasoning?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Aug 27, 2014 11:05 pm

Saying that their keeper had the ball in his hands for more than 6 seconds (which, if you count, he had it for about Cool so we should have been given an indirect free-kick.

Of course, if refs did actually apply this law we'd have had about a dozen of these free-kicks in the last two matches.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:47 am

stillmanjunior wrote:Who would you bring in the replace them, Steve?

I have little broad knowledge of local clubs like you and many others, as I am not a Bathonian, so that question is extremely difficult to answer. MM, and others have subsequently posted a few ideas though, and I can say that Mr Laird might be in the frame, given his success with W-S-M, and his ability to successfully bring youngsters into the 1st team. Yes - we would have to pay him, but two points to say here - he wouldn't cost the earth would he, given he was at a cash strapped club?; and if he came, and made a fair fist of the job, with a subsequent rise in support, then the extra income generated by his success would more than cover his salary would'nt it? My point about getting rid of the present incumbants now, before it is too late, is born of the fact that, compared with last year, we are losing significant money - about 100 less on the gates so far? + the money this lost 100 would spend whilst at the ground (food/drink/programme/draw tickets etc). I hear what Martin says (that we should be ever patient), but when Howels allegedly says that he doesn't know what to do, I think that our patience is already stretched to its limits.

If the Board does not want to gamble on fresh blood from outside, then send Briton physically upstairs and put Jim in charge, and/or Billy Clarke. Surely they can do no worse.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Aug 28, 2014 1:11 pm

I thought the six seconds rule no longer applied and was at the discretion of the referee as to whether time wasting was taking place.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by miker Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:00 pm

As I said folks, have a look at the Havant fans forum. You will also find a link to a short video clip of all the goals.....if you can stand the pain of seeing the first two.

miker

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:25 pm

6 seconds rule still in place. You can imagine the inconsistency of applying discretion.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:10 am

Luton Roman wrote:6 seconds rule still in place. You can imagine the inconsistency of applying discretion.

I guess at least refs are consistent with the law - they just ignore it.

miker wrote:As I said folks, have a look at the Havant fans forum. You will also find a link to a short video clip of all the goals.....if you can stand the pain of seeing the first two.

Although it doesn't absolve Mellor of the blame the keeper's kick for the second goal did take a freak bounce.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:10 am

It was his doosra...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:27 am

comrade powell wrote:It was his doosra...

Very Happy He needs to give Moeen Ali a few tips.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Aug 29, 2014 5:35 pm

The goals remind me of some of the 1970's naive, country bumpkin defending that saw us regularly lose to more streetwise teams. Goals like that in the same game might well provoke some scrutiny of betting patterns to more cynical eyes.......

As for the drop kick coming in from over 90 yds at an angle on a wet, skiddy hard August pitch, did he think it would loop into his hands??

Lets hope our luck turns tomorrow for my debut watch and defies the bookies who have us as 18/5 to win and 28/1 to win 2-0 ! Could double with a Man U win...now that would be madness !

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Mcnulty Sat Aug 30, 2014 7:29 pm

Sorry, getting to his very late, agreed with a lot of what cannonball said. The 6 second comment made me laugh, I reckon their keeper did well to get the ball clear within 30 seconds and the same with most of their throw ins. Silly thing was they didn't need to time waste, we should have lost this game by 3 or 4 which makes the comedy goals conceded slightly easier to take.
Still great win today so let's hope we move onwards and upwards now.

Mcnulty

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Aug 30, 2014 8:48 pm

Agreed with Cannonball also and Gerry the luck did turn. A win next week and we might be just on the way.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3