Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tom Smith Available

+2
pete mac
SteveS
6 posters

Go down

Tom Smith Available Empty Tom Smith Available

Post by SteveS Wed May 16, 2018 3:59 pm

Released by Swindon Town. Could we afford him? Would he come here? I imagine the answer to the second question depends on what other interest there is.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Tom Smith Available Empty Re: Tom Smith Available

Post by pete mac Wed May 16, 2018 4:02 pm

They say Compton has gone. Anybody know where?

he'll be missed.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Wed May 16, 2018 4:36 pm

Not surprised if Compton ends up at Torquay. Their fans seemed to think Owers tried to sign him in January.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed May 16, 2018 4:38 pm

He’ll be a big miss but if we can get Stearn it’ll soften the blow. Was great having them in the same side last season.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Wed May 16, 2018 7:43 pm

Surprised Smith has been released because Swindon fans were optimistic about him. Having said that there was a long period after he came back when he was fairly anonymous. If he was watched by Swindon then they would not have been encouraged.

I think most people expect Compton to roll up at Torquay. He is obviously comfortable at this level but is it actually a good move for him?

I felt there was a certain amount of rivalry beteeen Stearn and Compton, which improved both, whether Ross would be as effective without that rivalry I don't know.

Either way I think the starting team next season will be very different from that which finished the last.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Wed May 16, 2018 8:46 pm

I wonder if Tom would want to drop down to this level - on his best days I would think he was probably capable of playing at least National League if not League 2.

At the time we signed Frankie Artus and 'big Kev' I am sure I read that we had made offers to two other members of last season's squad, but there was no indication of who they were, although my money would have been on Miles and probably Matt Richards. Can't help feeling that the longer it goes without news on whether we have kept anyone else from last term the more likely it is that they will have moved on. I am sure Miles being in the NLS 'team of the season' has brought him to the attention of a few clubs.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by freeview Wed May 16, 2018 9:13 pm

Compton has signed for Torquay, believe they are staying full time in this league also for 18/19 season, rumours also of stearn going there, wonder if smith would be interested in a f/t contract there.

freeview

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Wed May 16, 2018 10:10 pm

Worrying that there has been no news on Miles, although as I understand it he just cannot walk away as a free agent. He is under 23 and presumably was on a contract, or I hope he was. As I understand things, and correct me if wrong, if we offer him at least the same terms (assume we would have) then if he goes elsewhere we are entitled to a fee - although I would rather have the player.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu May 17, 2018 8:39 pm

I believe nearly all the players have been offered something. My impression is that quite understandably they want to keep their options open. This really cheesed off Gary Owers last year. He wanted players to prove their commitment, Dan Bowman fell foul of this position.
The reality is that there aren't that many teams out there at this level so players may be waiting forlornly.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down