Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City under the Lights..............

+4
Beau Nash
BenE
comrade powell
westonpundit
8 posters

Go down

City under the Lights.............. Empty City under the Lights..............

Post by westonpundit Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:24 pm

Just a big shout out for Phil and his colleagues for the recent sprucing up at Twerton Park and especially the service to the floodlights. The ground always looks special under the lights which adds to the atmosphere massively and great when all the bulbs are working.....its a feature of Twerton Park which reflects the quality and professional approach of the club which sets us apart from a few other teams we have encountered this season.

I remember attending a match when the lights were installed against an Arsenal XI if my memory serves me right and it elevated the ground to one of the best in non league football in the 1960's. I had subbuteo at the time with the battery floodlights and as a kid thought it was great that Twerton Park then looked the real deal !!

Looking forward to appreciating all your hard work at the Eastbourne match next week (corrected as per comrade 's post below) and thanks for adding to what should be a great atmosphere.

Last edited by westonpundit on Thu Mar 08, 2018 5:39 pm; edited 1 time in total

westonpundit

Back to top Go down

City under the Lights.............. Empty Re: City under the Lights..............

Post by comrade powell Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:39 pm

westonpundit wrote:
Looking forward to appreciating all your hard work at the Eastbourne match in a couple of weeks...  

It's next Tuesday!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

City under the Lights.............. Empty Re: City under the Lights..............

Post by BenE Thu Mar 08, 2018 1:32 pm

Yes I noticed the lighting had improved and wondered which brave soul had ascended the floodlight towers to replace the bulbs. Rather them than me.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Thu Mar 08, 2018 3:21 pm

Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Mar 08, 2018 6:37 pm

BenE wrote:Yes I noticed the lighting had improved and wondered which brave soul had ascended the floodlight towers to replace the bulbs. Rather them than me.

Oh, I'd love to go up there. A tour should be included in our community membership benefits.

I love our floodlights. Next to the old ones at Ninian Park, they are my favourites. Like Ninian Park's, you can stand under them and look up inside them. That, to me, is a true floodlight. I have a mate of mine who runs the "Floodlight Fancy" website and, when I submitted a picture (it's the one labelled MT2 here), he said that it had to be the last contribution as they had so many of the Twerton Park floodlights, as you can see. Indeed, you can see that someone else is a lover of the bottom up view. (I also used to have a similar photo of Cambridge United's lights and the Eiffel Tower).

It's a bit of a shame that he said that as I love the sight of the floodlights being on when I come out of my street of an evening as well and would love to get a picture of that. Indeed, it is a thrill to see them on as you walk around most places in the city and they may be on (and you wonder "why are they on on a Monday when there's no match?"). I have yet to see them on one my favourite views of Bath as you come down Lansdown Lane form the racecourse but that would be great.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Mar 08, 2018 8:15 pm

Can only echo what Ben E says - have the greatest respect for Phil climbing all the way up there.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Mar 08, 2018 9:26 pm

A few thoughts on pylons...

Long before the days of sat navs, looking out for a club's floodlights was one of the best ways of finding an away ground.

Always remember the excitement of attending Bristol City's official opening of theirs back in the 60s - against Wolves - and being fascinated by the angle of the top section on each pylon as it leaned over the pitch.

And for years one of the Eastville pylons was left in place marking Rovers' spiritual home.

My contempt for Kettering Town probably dates from when they had 2 of their pylons' lights in a K shape and the other 2 a T. They really thought that they were going places...

Back on the old forum one of the main contributors was a Cirencester fan called PylonSider, in honour of the lights at their old ground!

I think we're the only club in this league with 4 traditional pylons.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:15 pm

And of course the famous......well OK, it wasn't really.....chant by a few City faithful at Stalybrjdge Celtic......'we've got more lux than you'
Another one that never caught on!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Fri Mar 09, 2018 2:59 pm

As good as Can you hear the old folks sing? at Cambridge City ( local BBC prog on care home next to ground...complaints of noise).

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down