Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Stearn returns (Ross is back!)

+12
LB
stillmanjunior
2weirdtown
BenE
Luton Roman
Marc Monitor
Freeview Joe
Bridgeyate
yuffie
Steve Whites Missus
Dusty Lynfield
pmh9800
16 posters

Go down

Stearn returns (Ross is back!) Empty Stearn returns (Ross is back!)

Post by pmh9800 Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:33 pm

Last edited by Admin on Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:58 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Merged threads)

pmh9800

Back to top Go down

Stearn returns (Ross is back!) Empty Ross is back!

Post by Dusty Lynfield Thu Jan 04, 2018 4:37 pm

This put a smile on me and my boy’s face....whilst I can remember him going missing in games sometimes, I have fond memories of some great contributions in the Trophy run (the home game against Gloucester when I thought we were dead and buried, the first leg against Dover, etc). Also his running battles with Howells ..... that great picture in the Chron where Ross scored against Gloucester and you can see Lee in the background with a face like thunder (pure chance i’m sure), and when he motioned to get up to collect the “Manager’s Player of the Season” award at the end of season awards....classic.
He was never shy of having a shot as well - something we’ve been missing recently. I assume he will slot into Opi’s position?
Separately (and more importantly), great news on Luke Southwood - he has saved us at least a dozen points of the first half of the season.
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Stearn returns (Ross is back!) Empty Re: Stearn returns (Ross is back!)

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu Jan 04, 2018 5:24 pm

He'll wanna put the ball on the spot next time we win a penalty.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Thu Jan 04, 2018 6:08 pm

Dusty Lynfield wrote:This put a smile on me and my boy’s face....whilst I can remember him going missing in games sometimes, I have fond memories of some great contributions in the Trophy run (the home game against Gloucester when I thought we were dead and buried, the first leg against Dover, etc).  Also his running battles with Howells ..... that great picture in the Chron where Ross scored against Gloucester and you can see Lee in the background with a face like thunder (pure chance i’m sure), and when he motioned to get up to collect the “Manager’s Player of the Season” award at the end of season awards....classic.
He was never shy of having a shot as well - something we’ve been missing recently.  I assume he will slot into Opi’s position?
Separately (and more importantly), great news on Luke Southwood - he has saved us at least a dozen points of the first half of the season.

Stearn returns (Ross is back!) 15314710

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Bridgeyate Thu Jan 04, 2018 7:37 pm

The best news ever !! Welcome back Ross . He will fit in well with the way Jerry Gill wants the team to play .Looking forward to the next month and hopefully longer !

Bridgeyate

Back to top Go down

Post by Freeview Joe Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:26 pm

YES !!!!!!!!! cheers
Freeview Joe
Freeview Joe

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:44 pm

Hmmmm...
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jan 04, 2018 8:52 pm

Wow. What a roller coaster season. Thought he was beyond us now.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Thu Jan 04, 2018 9:52 pm

I noticed he wasn't getting a game at Sutton so presume he isn't fit and this is a chance to get so. I always thought he was wasted under howells so this is a chance to prove me right.

Could be what both he and we need.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:01 pm

He's the sort of mercurial player who excites crowds and can be a game changer. Sure, there were times he wasn't so hot, but overall he made a positive contribution despite his limited use by the then management.
Perhaps his time at Sutton may have improved his all round game. Perhaps it's just a case of him covering while Watkins recovers from his injury. Perhaps he's possibly going to be a replacement for Watto or the inconsistent Compton.
Interesting.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:05 pm

Replacement for Opi Edwards would be my guess.

Ross became a Dad today as well so presumably he’s keen to play for a club nearer home and part time for a bit, rather than traipsing back and forth to Sutton.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Jan 04, 2018 10:13 pm

Yeh, that would be good. Hope he can produce some of his fire of old.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:35 pm

According to Sutton he has had an ankle injury and is joining us to get fit.

At the same time, I see that Nick McCootie has signed for Chippenham.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Thu Jan 04, 2018 11:50 pm

Really? They very much need him and he hasn't figured in Jerry's plans much. Like Chas, another one that started dreadfully and became a fans' favourite.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Fri Jan 05, 2018 9:36 am

Marc Monitor wrote:Really? They very much need him and he hasn't figured in Jerry's plans much. Like Chas, another one that started dreadfully and became a fans' favourite.

That's a bit harsh, didn't he score two and assist one in his first game (or score 1 and assist two)? I definitely remember him scoring and playing well anyway, if anything he got progressively worse as a forward until we turned him into the worlds strongest, biggest right winger!

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:06 pm

Good luck to Nick. This season has just not got going for him and this move seems best for all concerned - they certainly seem excited by the news on the Chipp forum. As far as goal scoring was concerned he often looked out of his depth at this level but he certainly provided many assists following his cutbacks from the goal line.

And of course there was this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jICfqbBTGw
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Fri Jan 05, 2018 12:46 pm

It was obvious Big Nick was not gonna fit into the new man's plans. Although I thought part of JGs remit was to improve players.... sadly along with others I'm very disappointed with the current direction.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri Jan 05, 2018 1:35 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:It was obvious Big Nick was not gonna fit into the new man's plans. Although I thought part of JGs remit was to improve players.... sadly along with others I'm very disappointed with the current direction.

I presume you are referring to a lack of physicality in the side. In the past we have been rolled over by big physical sides and this team is particularly lightweight like a team of Ashley Youngs. Jerry has not really come up against a beast of a side yet so that will be on his learning curve.

As for Nick, I was really impressed with him in the friendlies and told him so, but he got injured and has been nothing like as good since. He won't shoot and his workrate has not compensated.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Fri Jan 05, 2018 2:22 pm

Steve Whites Missus wrote:It was obvious Big Nick was not gonna fit into the new man's plans. Although I thought part of JGs remit was to improve players.... sadly along with others I'm very disappointed with the current direction.

Please remember that supporters' views can be represented to the relevant people on the club's board. As your supporter liaison officer, I'm only too willing to pass on concerns and answer questions. I'm always in the bar after matches so if you or any others wish to speak to me you're more than welcome!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Fri Jan 05, 2018 7:03 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:
Marc Monitor wrote:Really? They very much need him and he hasn't figured in Jerry's plans much. Like Chas, another one that started dreadfully and became a fans' favourite.

That's a bit harsh, didn't he score two and assist one in his first game (or score 1 and assist two)? I definitely remember him scoring and playing well anyway, if anything he got progressively worse as a forward until we turned him into the worlds strongest, biggest right winger!

Bloody hell, when I meant "started", I meant over the first couple of seasons - which you refer to - rather than his first game. Having said that, I just looked at his stats and the whole of his first season was good, it was second season that was wasn't so much. I think that the real sign that he was improving long-term was, after the summer where he took himself off to a physio, when we could get more then 60 minutes out of him. Indeed, at Oxford City that season, we got 120 minutes out of him.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Back to top Go down

Post by Tapper80 Fri Jan 05, 2018 10:05 pm

This is becoming a joke now, getting rid of players on contracts to replace with a series of one month loans. No continuity.

Tapper80

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Jan 06, 2018 9:26 am

Dont forget GO left us at bad time. 2 months into season. Squads settled, players signed up so JG has had to wheel and deal. The summer will be the time to get his team together.

That said, we know that this level is about physicality. Strong athletic players tend to be the norm.

As for our role in improving other teams players...yeh well great to make and keep contacts with League clubs but City results are the priority.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Jan 06, 2018 10:44 am

Also re Nick, presumably he was only on a 1 year contract as is the norm at this level, and given that the website says “undisclosed fee” then surely we were better off to earn some money than lose him for free in the summer? Obviously we don’t know whether Nick wanted to stay or not but it seems good business to me to sell him now if he was looking away.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Jan 07, 2018 5:01 pm

Murphy was a bigger loss and we got nothing for him. So not bad for a non scoring non shooting striker. His miss at Hampton summed it up.
Yes it leaves a hole in the squad but despite the hope his introduction to a game engendered, nothing ever came of it. Maybe he will benefit from a change of scene, I hope so because he strikes me as a lad who needs confidence and he could do well.
But to be honest Stearn did more in 90 minutes than Nick did in the whole season. I hope Ross can keep it up.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down