Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Hemel

+5
sned
SASCHA
comrade powell
Luton Roman
BenE
9 posters

Go down

City v Hemel Empty City v Hemel

Post by BenE Sat Dec 02, 2017 6:09 pm

I think this game was further evidence that our striker recruitment in the summer was not a great success. I would suggest that there needs to be a shake up in this department if we are going to progress.

Riggy showed that he is a much better right back than midfielder yet again. We looked a decent unit with him at RB and Miles at LB. Amankwah also looked very solid as a CB while Danny Ball was brilliant as was Southwell again.

It was a tough game for the new lad and he looked out of his depth for long periods but he has got two good feet and if he can be coached well by Gerry could be a success.

It has got to the stage where a pen is not a goal scoring opportunity for us. Jarvis stepped up but there was no one else on the pitch I would have wanted to take it except perhaps Southwell. He kept us in it at one end so why not give him a chance at the other.

Overall I thought it was a good second half without ever feeling we were going to score.

BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

City v Hemel Empty Re: City v Hemel

Post by Luton Roman Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:01 pm

Agree that despite numerous set pieces we never looked likely to convert. Richards free kick produced a great save but that was about it. Neither Nat nor Nick look confident . The pace and incisiveness was missing across the team. Watto looked sharp enough as did Pearce. Need to get them the ball in more dangerous places.

Off the pitch I had a birthday party at the club as ball sponsor. What a great day. Thanks to all for travelling so far, the surprise arrangements, and the great hospitality. Would recommend to anyone.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Dec 02, 2017 7:36 pm

Happy birthday, Gerry - a pity you didn't have a better game for the occasion.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by SASCHA Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:02 pm

What about a true Luton birthday while you're at it then Martin

PATRICIA 90 TODAY lol!

SASCHA

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:07 pm

Yes, best wishes to your mum, Sascha!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Sat Dec 02, 2017 10:57 pm

Agree with previous comment about looking better in the second half with Rigg at RB, MWH at LB and Amankwaah at CB. Will be interesting when Straker comes back but i'd imagine him at LB and Kevin at RB.

We had chances to win but characteristically didn't take them. Another frustrating watch but also another clean sheet(!).. so I guess thats... something?!....

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:32 am

If I was manager I would have straker at left midfield in front of mwh and opi or pearce on rigg's side. I do not think Kevin is capable of playing the way Gerry wants ie moving the ball quickly. He is slow and dithery on the ball. But defensively he is sound. Straker is not as good a defender as mwh. I'd then have Richards and frankie in the middle and then watto no10 to a striker.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Sun Dec 03, 2017 8:35 am

Surprised that Richards didn't take the penalty. He's probably not as aware as the rest of the team about how bad the penalty issue is for us at the moment.

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by sirkev Sun Dec 03, 2017 1:54 pm

Disappointed with yesterday's performance but at least we got a point mostly thanks to some brilliant keeping once again by Luke Southwood and some decent keeping from the Hemel no 1. The ref had a poor game but I think he got the Watto penalty decision right as Watto made the most of minimal contact.

The team set up seems very disjointed at present due to several factors. The biggest current concern for me is in the midfield and up front. Losing Tom Smith has really affected the midfield set up as he was such a mobile and dynamic box to box midfielder.The new loanee from City looked way off the pace and Richards hasnt been as effective the last 2 games due to the lack of mobility in front of him. Nick McCootie is currently so short on confidence that it is painful to watch him at times. Nat Jarvis looks disinterested at times, short on confidence and is not the current answer to our centre forward crisis. On one occasion in the first half he had yards on the Hemel right back whom he allowed to catch him up and then bundle him off the ball. On a positive note I thought the young Fulham lad did well when he came on and should start on Tuesday if available. Another plus is that Jack Compton should be back soon as he has that extra bit of quality that makes thing happen. In the meantime I would play Marv up front with Watto alongside him against Margate.

sirkev

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sun Dec 03, 2017 3:01 pm

Good points made here. I agree that Riggs was good at RB and Amankwah looked assured at CB and, as BenE pointed out to me on the terraces, wasn't expected to fulfil the attacking that the fullback role requires and that he doesn't seem to have in his game - but Rigg and Welch-Hayes do. Southwell got the Miles Welch-Hayes of the Match award that he deserved on Tuesday.

I was really surprised that Isaac Pearce didn't start but James Morton did. The game completely passed the latter by and the former changed the game yesterday as well as he did on Tuesday. I know that Pearce is ostensibly a striker but, presently, he looks more provider than scorer at the moment and a very good one at that. Now that Jarvis has added himself to the list of non-penalty scorers, I would like to see Richards take the next penalty.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:05 pm

Generally agree with most of the comments here but have to disagree with sirkev about the Watkins incident in the first half - it happened right in front of me and was a clear penalty (although in view of what happened later perhaps as well it wasn't given!). Even if he was looking for it he was clearly brought down by the Hemel defender.

I have to say that Jarvis doesn't do it for me - he runs around a lot but never to much effect and doesn't really put defenders under too much pressure. As others have suggested I think playing Marvin with Watto alongside him as a 'number 10' offers the best solution to our goalscoring problems, especially if we could get Compton back fit as provider.

Defensively generally we seem okay, although the loss of Straker means that we don't have a proper left sided player - George Rigg did okay again at right back, but as so often last season he seemed unable to cross the ball, preferring to take it inside or pass it.

A bit harsh perhaps to criticise young Morton too much as he was thrown in at the deep end and hadn't even trained with us, but I thought more of a problem was that in the first half particularly Frankie was pretty anonymous.

Having said all that, I thought in the last 20 minutes, particularly after Pearce came on, we probably did just about enough to win it, although we never really took advantage of the extra man. If the penalty had gone it it would have forced Hemel to come out and might have opened the game more.

Whatever the result at Margate, hopefully we can come through with no more injuries and get back on the winning trail against Bognor, who have only won twice since they beat us on the opening day.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Dec 03, 2017 6:42 pm

Agree with all sirkev says, Smith is a big loss.

Garry, hope your mum had a good day - a proper Bath City character and a nice lady.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down