Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Hendon Pub

+12
comrade powell
BenE
Tapper80
pete mac
SteveS
Ashley
Steve Whites Missus
LB
2weirdtown
Dodgycarpet
kermit
Luton Roman
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Hendon Pub Empty Hendon Pub

Post by Luton Roman Fri Dec 15, 2017 12:03 pm

Hendon tweeted to say:

Hello, The George on Church Lane is about 10 min walk from the ground or the Midland Hotel next to Hendon Station comes highly recommended. There will be a selection of ales in the clubhouse as well.

Given parking difficulties at ground think we will head to The George. Good reviews and does food.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Hendon Pub Empty Re: Hendon Pub

Post by kermit Fri Dec 15, 2017 2:04 pm

The George is about 800m from the ground and descibed as a suburban interwar pub in the mock-Tudor style. Smartened up in recent years. Decent patio garden at the back and side, plus more seating at the front with a shelter. Ex-Cannon Brewery, Allied, Punch Retail, Spirit, transferred to lease in 2006. Now (Aug 2017) selling Old Golden Hen on handpump at £3.70 a pint.

The Midland about 2km away, through the park and across a bridge over the Welsh Harp reservoir.
Reverted to original name after spell as 'Pickled Newt'. Also known as The Mids.
New owners are promoting real ale; brilliant news in a bit of a beer desert! They started by getting in the well known Doom Bar but thankfully they now offer Dark Star Hophead and it has become a firm favourite! There are usually 2 real ales available, weekends 3, mainly from London breweries.
The pub is like a tardis; main bar area at the front with a larger room behind. Then a big beer garden and decking plus a covered area at the back. Classic cars are often on the forecourt!
It has been sold by Greene King and is now owned by a finance company.
Regular Beers
The pub serves 1 regular beer, Dark Star Hophead, and 2 changing beers which typically include:
Box Steam Golden Bolt
Greene King London Glory
Portobello - varies

As Gerry says, the clubhouse is selling 'ales', but I'm afraid I have no idea what that might be!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Dodgycarpet Sat Dec 16, 2017 3:54 pm

Not on the internet radio at mo, score anyone?

Dodgycarpet

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Dec 16, 2017 4:19 pm

1-1 city equalising early 2nd half from Tom Smith. Very even game
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Dec 16, 2017 5:28 pm

Another depressing listen this afternoon - I am afraid that once the opposition score I find myself thinking that the best we can hope for is a draw and always felt that Hendon were likely to score again.  

Can't believe that we didn't put any subs on - and then only Nick - until far too late. Surely it was worth going with Watto and/or Jarvis for the last 15 or 20 minutes and particularly after Hendon scored.

The next 3 games are massive in terms of the rest of the season and local 'bragging rights' and unless we can come out of them with something the 'elephant in the room' question will start to be asked.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:29 pm

Stagnating!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Dec 16, 2017 6:57 pm

The George was pants too! All in all a bad day out

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:25 pm

They were stronger smarter sharper. Put us under pressure on the ball which we seemed not able to do to them. 1stchalf fairly even with little from either side. We had put a couple of moves together when we lost possession poorly that led to a corner that led to a 2nd ball goal just before ht. Got back in it straightaway with great work from Opi. Right we thought lets get at them. Nope. If anything it prompted Hendon to step up a gear and take the momentum away. A corner a scramble a poke and they were ahead. That was pretty much it. Some set pieces but no one looked capable nor strong enough to make something happen.

Changes never happened til too late. Nick wd have added missing muscle and support to the game Kavanagh who worked hard, created half chances and will have learned more in 90 mins than in his career so far against a couple of beasts at the back.

To reasonable supporter challenges that we cd have done a lot better JG said we only lost to 2 set pieces. No empathy to the rain sodden fans trooping round the ground.

Hmm. Least GO was bluntly open. Bit more chemistry from him needed and some physical presence required on the pitch to overcome our lightweight look.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sat Dec 16, 2017 7:58 pm

Not there but things seem to be not good. Some of the loans have worked well for us like Southwood but you can't lose players and just replace them with young or youth loans continually. Today was obviously the Trophy but generally we are in a hard physical league and the young lads are not used to this, which is exactly why clubs allow them to come to us to try and toughen them up.
The loans have a place but I think we need to be looking at players in lower leagues looking to move up. Ben Whitehead at Cirencester has scored heavily this season in a side not doing that well. He was at Swindon as a youngster, was released but he still wants to play at a higher level. He is still young and has already had a few years in real football so has taken the knocks and knows what it's about. Would not be surprised if Chippenham go for him now Pratt has gone. Gerry is a nice guy but needs to learn quickly about what is needed at this level.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:05 pm

I am really unhappy with this. No real sense of what’s needed to win games. Some physical presence and desire.

Is it just 3 wins in 12 games. Fed up entirely.

Patience wearing thin.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:06 pm

I am really unhappy with this. No real sense of what’s needed to win games. Some physical presence and desire.

Is it just 3 wins in 12 games. Fed up entirely.

Patience wearing thin.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:11 pm

Actually it’s 2 wins plus the pens win at Margate out of 14 excluding the Somerset Cup. Abysmal

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Dec 16, 2017 8:39 pm

It is 4 wins in 16, and 2 of those were against Cheddar and Keynsham - 3 of the last 5 games have been against teams from the level below and we have drawn 2 and lost 1 - the other games were both 0-0 draws.

With the exit from the F A Trophy the club needs to decide what its target is for this season - are we going to try for the play-offs, or are we going to treat this as a 'settling-in' season for Jerry with a determined push next time?

After the East Thurrock and Eastbourne results I thought we had really turned the corner and that we could get 8 or even 10 points from December and push our way up the table. Well so far we have got 2 and if either Chippenham or Weston score then on present form we will only get 2 more at best. It is all very well to say that we are only 5 points off the play-offs and only 8 off the top but that is as much to do with how tight the league is than any efforts of ours - if we are going to make any inroads we need to start winning and improving our goal difference into the bargain.

While Jerry clearly has a lot of experience with young players, it is one thing when they are playing against their peers but a completely different one when they move up to 'men's' football. We started today with 5 very young loan players, and no  matter how good they are at their own level, filling almost half the team with them (while the likes of Watkins, McCootie and Rigg are sat on the bench) is asking a lot especially expecting Kavanagh to play the lone striker role.

Unless something can change quickly, another season is in danger of drifting away into mid-table mediocrity.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Tapper80 Sat Dec 16, 2017 10:13 pm

Too many loan players, month here, month there taking the place in the starting 11 of players on a contract can not generate a good team spirit!

Tapper80

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:46 am

The length of the loans is a good point. I've seen that in the past it has taken strikers almost their entire loan period to find their feet at this level. The only youngster who made an immediate impact was Guthrie.

They are gone before they've brought any benefit to the team.

The lads who are here now show quality but we look like a lightweight team and aren't going to cause teams problems because of our lack of physicality. It is all very well clubs sending players to toughen them up but it doesn't help us.

Gerry has looked at what we've got and found it wanting for the type of football he wants to play but something has to give. Personally I do not know how you can leave Watkins on the bench but to be fair we are short of goals. Gerry has tried to mix up the style a bit but he is filling the side with ball players. Is it his fault Nick M is not doing it? Nor Marvin or Jarvis? The senior players have to step up.

The excellent commentary said we were hustled yesterday. There is only one way to deal with that if you do not have the physicality and that is to play with more urgency. Move the ball quicker. Be sharper.

The players need to learn that and the sooner the better for our results.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sun Dec 17, 2017 10:04 am

We had a team capable of playoffs when Owers left.

The team changed for the worse.

We lack the physicality needed to win.

I fear Chippenham will out muscle us next week.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:01 pm

I think defensively we are solid. Amankwah is much better at CB. I can understand Gerry's point that we lost to two scrappy goals but if we aren't scoring then that is what happens.

I've played in teams that can't score and the only answer is to get someone who can and does. In our position it is difficult to recruit a proven striker midway through a season. I was underwhelmed with the strikers in pre-season and nothing has happened that changes that view.

If Kavanagh does come good I would hope we could at least extend his loan period otherwise it will be back to square one. He had a couple of chances yesterday which I find encouraging as I have watched too many games this season where the strikers don't have an effort on goal.

But I am not despondent because to be frank I am much happier about the style of play and we are creating chances. We just need to be more ruthless in the box.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:13 pm

Looking back over old threads I am reminded we started with two up top. I do not think going with one up has seen an improvement. But this may be because Jerry is trying to accommodate our best players and they are all midfielders.

I would play Compton through the middle but I am not sure whether he works hard enough.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:14 pm

I'm afraid we didn't create many chances yesterday, Benny. Still one positive from a very disappointing afternoon is that we don't have another midweek trek to Chelmsford as the scheduled fixture in January can now go ahead.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:30 pm

BenE wrote:I think defensively we are solid. Amankwah is much better at CB.

Not yesterday he wasn't. The younger, faster Hendon players ran him ragged, and he had a tendency to keep running out wide and getting in Miles' way, leaving huge swathes of open land in front of goal for the Greens to run through. And Richards in front of him had a bit of a shocker from where I was standing, too. Rather than quickly distributing it, or just looking up and seeing who was available, he constantly kept onto it too long, running himself into trouble when wave after wave of plucky Hendonites kept nipping in and challenging him, or making dangerously short cross goal passes no nobody in particular.

The bus home was filled with people groaning about the loanees, and while I'll agree that this system is no way to build a lasting, consistent style at the club, it was the kids who ran their hearts out yesterday, doing their best with a naive starting line up that the manager seemingly refused to insist wasn't working until the very death. Kavanagh particularly impressed with his work rate, positional sense and general reading of the game, and he was crying out for a partner up front. To my jaded eye, however, it was the league-experienced old stagers that let us down, as they appeared a worrying mix of too slow and over confident about their abilities.

Despite a lot of the gripes from yesterday, we weren't actually that bad - it was just the hesitancy in front of goal at each end that let us down, and is something that surely needs to be addressed if we're not going to flutter down into a side that plays nice football but that is still easy to beat every week.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Sun Dec 17, 2017 12:33 pm

Oh, and why did everybody jettison The George so quickly, getting back on topic? Some of the regular pub hunters were back at the ground before we'd even got off the fanbus!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Dec 17, 2017 1:58 pm

BenE wrote:Looking back over old threads I am reminded we started with two up top.

It was 4-3-3 with Edwards and Compton alongside Kavanagh, but they barely combined as they played so far apart that they might as well have been on separate pitches.

We need to have some stability because at the moment it feels like a case of just throwing in new people and hoping it pays off. I know injuries to key players haven't helped, but every club must use that line. We started a lad against Hemel that hadn't even trained for the club, and left George Rigg on the bench. We've had a loanee debutant in four of the last five matches. I'm not knocking their enthusiasm but it's hard to build a togetherness when you barely know your teammates. It felt yesterday like they were more of a team than us, and that's not a criticism I label often at our players. I think we've had 11 different captains over two years, which is madness.

I'm guessing the reason we're so reliant on the loan system is if they don't work out at least they're not on the club's books for long, and presumably it's far cheaper than signing someone on a contract, who you're stuck with if he's a dud. And in fairness, we've seen, and have now, some quality players from it. But it's short-term fixes, we were at our best when we had a spine with any four of Jim, Sekani, Dutch, Gethin and Coupe occupying the defence for years, with Sido etc adding to it eventually. I think I worked out 15 different back four combinations this season alone.

All in all, another pathetic campaign in the FA Trophy to add to the vast collection. It's like watching England in major tournaments, I could have gone into Chris Waddle rant mood on the radio after. There are definitely glimmers of hope however, and what better way to put things right than next week. Well, we can't play any worse than we did against them at Twerton...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:11 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:
BenE wrote:Looking back over old threads I am reminded we started with two up top.

It was 4-3-3 with Edwards and Compton alongside Kavanagh, but they barely combined as they played so far apart that they might as well have been on separate pitches.

In which case it's really a 4-5-1.

Agree that not playing with a settled side is not helping but a decision needed to be made striker wise.

Hopefully Richards has got the bad game out of his system. He has been terrific since he arrived.

I still think our best back 4 is miles ball batten rigg but straker has been missed.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun Dec 17, 2017 2:50 pm

Roy D Hacksaw wrote:Oh, and why did everybody jettison The George so quickly, getting back on topic? Some of the regular pub hunters were back at the ground before we'd even got off the fanbus!
Simple really Roy. Two handpumps but no beer connected! I walked in the front door, and straight out the side door. The coach driver must have had a mare getting to the ground as, even with my crutch, I managed to get to the clubhouse and order a pint before the you lot were off the coach.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Dec 17, 2017 3:58 pm

BenE wrote:
stillmanjunior wrote:

In which case it's really a 4-5-1.

Agree that not playing with a settled side is not helping but a decision needed to be made striker wise.

Hopefully Richards has got the bad game out of his system. He has been terrific since he arrived.

I still think our best back 4 is miles ball batten rigg but straker has been missed.

Certainly, Batten & Rigg need to feature far more.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum