Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Fixture nonsense

4 posters

Go down

Fixture nonsense Empty Fixture nonsense

Post by LB Sun Sep 10, 2017 12:43 pm

I know we used to joke about Denis Strudwick's 'fag packet' when it came to arranging the fixtures, but if anything things have got worse.

If it isn't bad enough that after tomorrow's game at Hungerford they will have played over a quarter of the league fixtures in 38 days, City have to go there after a 300 mile+ round trip just two days before whereas Hungerford were at home yesterday - that must give them an unfair advantage even without our current injury problems.

It would have made much more sense (but since when has there been any sign of that?) if City had gone to Hungerford last Monday after the home game against Welling and then had the home game against Oxford this week. It isn't just City who are suffering this way - Poole were at Welling yesterday and have to go Wealdstone tomorrow, who like Hungerford were at home yesterday.

Hopefully we can overcome the disadvantage and come away unscathed with at least a point from Hungerford and then prepare for Saturday's potential 'banana skin'.

LB

Back to top Go down

Fixture nonsense Empty Re: Fixture nonsense

Post by Micawber Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:48 pm

I agree that it's ludicrous the amount of games teams at this level are having to play by this stage of the season. Of course it's the same for all clubs and many seem like City to be having to cope with a number of injured players. It's even more ridiculous when taking into account the traveling distances involved and the fact that most teams are part time. It makes me laugh when I hear Premiership managers with huge squads moaning about how tired their pampered and overpaid players are.

Micawber

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun Sep 10, 2017 3:57 pm

It's too much and has been clearly brought on by clubs that haven't got the pitches, or adequate groundsmen, to deal with matches over the winter. I know it should ease off now, cup replays aside, but it could be spread out more.

Another factor, I guess, is attendances lower when the Champions League starts. But there isn't European football every week.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Sep 10, 2017 5:19 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:It's too much and has been clearly brought on by clubs that haven't got the pitches, or adequate groundsmen, to deal with matches over the winter.

Yes, I'm sure that's one explanation. And the season ends at least 2 weeks earlier than pre-play off days and of course we're entering the period of cup and trophy fixtures. Perhaps the answer is to reduce the size of the leagues (Havant + Truro?)

comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down