Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Lost Momentum?

5 posters

Go down

Lost Momentum? Empty Lost Momentum?

Post by 2weirdtown Wed Apr 16, 2014 1:17 pm

One or two comments lately about how although we probably won't make the play offs, the team is shaping up nicely for a real push next season.
Well, here we are with the trees barely in bud and the last couple of games are already upon us, with a break of what, 3.5 months before the fun re-commences.
A lot can happen (or not happen) in that time and what momentum there is could be lost in such a long break.
I'm not just talking about the playing side.
April into May is a most benign part of the year in that the weather is pleasant but it's not quite the holiday season. Surely the perfect time to go and watch a football match? Especially for the not so diehards.
The club recently went to great lengths to attract new faces to MTP (v Chelmsford) and yet there is no time to build on this as it's all going quiet now until sometime in August.
I look at the nonsense other clubs are stuck with due to postponements and shake my head in wonder. They must be taking a big hit financially with playing up to 4 games a week. The public aren't that interested and neither do they have an infinite amount of readies to spend on 2 to 3, even 4 games per week. It's like a shop in a village of 100 people suddenley doubling it's opening hours in the belief it will generate more customers. A lot of pubs did that when licensing hours were liberalised and where did it get them?
The season must be extended. I know this subject has been raised before. One of the main reasons given against being the leagues have to finish on time in order to meet scheduled play offs/FA cup final/international tournaments.
I counter this by saying other businesses (for that is what we are) have to change and adapt in order to survive and grow. Non league football appears to be governed by dinosaurs and is in danger of dying out.
The Skrill N & S play offs take place at grounds within the leagues (I think it's the same elsewhere non-league). It must be possible to make the season longer as we are not relying on meeting scheduled dates for Wembley/Wherever finals.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Lost Momentum? Empty Re: Lost Momentum?

Post by Marc Monitor Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:20 pm

I have always been of the opinion that certain leagues in Britain should be summer football so that they aren't competing with the Premier League - certainly the Welsh, Northern Irish and lower leagues in Scotland. I also thought that non-league in England should do this up to a certain level. Perhaps the Conference N & S should be part of that.

Less competition with PL and FL football and rugby, less postponements, more attraction for those that don't want to watch in the cold, wind, rain and snow, less expense on floodlights even. Of course, there are arguments about heat and pitch surfaces. Bear in mind that the lowest temperatures for Serie A Catania, LA Liga's Malaga and Primera Liga's Olhanense are similar to what we are experiencing presently. Obviously, these bigger clubs have sprinkler systems but hot weather to play in is hot weather to play in, however big a club you are in.

I am not completely convinced of this. I like traditional winter football and, with the Conference South and North being feeders to the Conference and the FL beyond - which would have to keep as winter sports, I suspect, any promotion and relegation issues would be hard to organise. However, at some level, it would be a great help. Perhaps not ours, though.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 16, 2014 2:49 pm

summer football is probably a non starter, but i can't be the only one who can remember our league seasons extending well into may. this, of course, was long before the days of play offs and also decent ground maintenance - many late season games were played on dust bowls with very erratic bounce of the ball. however, it was lovely to watch in warm weather - something we rarely experience with the regular season now ending half way through april. i don't think i will ever forget that horribly cold end of season game at alfreton.

having said that, i'd happily vote for no football until the start of september...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Apr 16, 2014 3:26 pm

comrade powell wrote:...having said that, i'd happily vote for no football until the start of september...  

WHAT!! No friendlies or Somerset Cup games, rearranged as a summer tournament for FPB to go to?

I did make some suggestions on how the leagues could be re-organised but there were no comments on the subject...(how do I find the post/ subject?)
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:33 pm

it was probably deleted!  Very Happy 

try doing a search...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:14 pm

Extend the season? No. We usually play by the rules and exit early from the FA Cup and FA Trophy hence avoiding any late season fixture pile-up  Smile Smile 
Anyway, summer is not here yet. I'm off skiing (again) on Saturday so I hope it's still winter.
I'll be back for the play-offs though!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:14 pm

The current situation makes no commercial sense to me. Extending to early May (at least) would net another Bank Holiday.
This would help clubs playing fixture catch up who I'm sure would prefer to play those games in an extended season.
Extending into a more (probably) benign period of weather would help all clubs fixture congestion or not.
I would do away with scheduled midweek games altogether in winter, playing only if cup replays needed. I love floodlit games personally but attendances are always reduced so it follows that more weekend games is better financially.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Thu Apr 17, 2014 12:16 pm

kermit wrote:
Anyway, summer is not here yet. I'm off skiing (again) on Saturday so I hope it's still winter.
I'll be back for the play-offs though!

Precisely
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down