Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

New player alert

+17
LB
Marc Monitor
tigerroar
pete mac
Steve Whites Missus
Manchester Romans
Beau Nash
Luton Roman
stillmanjunior
comrade powell
BenE
county exile
sned
SteveS
Dusty Lynfield
RomansCast
Roy D Hacksaw
21 posters

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

New player alert Empty New player alert

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Sat May 20, 2017 6:31 pm

According to the club's Twitter, we have signed two new defenders today: Darren Jones, ex of Newport, and one time York City player, Anthony Straker.

More news when I've looked it up!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

New player alert Empty Re: New player alert

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Sat May 20, 2017 6:42 pm

Straker's 28, we've signed him from Aldershot, and he's also played for Grimsby, York, Motherwell, Southend and Wycombe. Oh, and he's an international, having played ten games for Grenada - as well as a couple of games for the England under 18s.

Jones is 33, and has been a frequent face with the Exiles, as well as spells at FGR, Hereford, Wimbledon, Shrewsbury, Cheltenham and Bristol City. He retired from the full-time game at the end of the season, but was convinced by Owers to continue part-time, as he'd worked with him in the past.

Apparently we can look forward to another announcement on Monday. Let's hope it's a striker!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by RomansCast Sat May 20, 2017 6:44 pm

Straker is a very good signing. He was offered a new contract at Aldershot but has recently got his HGV licence and has decided to go part time. Darren Jones was also offered a new contract at Newport but decided to retire from professional football. I can already see an improvement on the type of player we are bringing in.

RomansCast

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Sat May 20, 2017 7:14 pm

Straker looks like a top full back based on this....can't wait for the news on Monday!
http://www.gethampshire.co.uk/sport/football/news/fan-view-aldershot-towns-anthony-12408626
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sat May 20, 2017 7:39 pm

Don't know much about Straker but Aldershot fans generally seem sorry to see him go which is a good sign. Jones has been around a bit but could be the strong physical defender we need.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by sned Sat May 20, 2017 8:39 pm

Both sound like great signings! Proper football league experience, I like the way this seems to be heading!

Does the signing of Straker, a left back, mean anything with regards to Dan Ball? Or can we now afford cover in more positions?!

Straker has Scottish Premiership experience (although cough Partick Thistle cough cough) and lots of league experience at Aldershot, Wycombe and Southend.

Darren Jones also has plenty of league experience. If we're looking for toughness in defence - how does 2 months in prison for assault sound?! Still, he's over 6 foot (possibly - sources seem to disagree on his height) and appears to be stocky so he sounds ideal! Exciting times i reckon.

sned

Back to top Go down

Post by county exile Sat May 20, 2017 10:08 pm

Romanscast wrote:-

Darren Jones was also offered a new contract at Newport but decided to retire from professional football. I can already see an improvement on the type of player we are bringing in

He wasn't offered a new contract - I think it was more a case of he jumped before he was pushed.

A good player in his day but probably past his best for full-time League 2 football and didn't feature much in the 12 matches played after Graham Westley was sacked (didn't play in any of the 7 matches won during that period). A good no-nonsense central defender (liable to give away a few penalties though) and hopefully will do well for you.
county exile
county exile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun May 21, 2017 8:54 am

Well we definitely needed a left back and a centre half so these look good acquisitions with experience and quality. I think GO wants to try 3 at the back so Dan Ball would fit in comfortably. Then if anyone is injured you can go to four at the back.
Straker likes to get forward which suggests wing back. While Rigg is a midfielder filling the full back berth. Given Nick M and Watto operate out wide it looks like the Conte team shape of 3 4 3 is in fashion and the team virtually picks itself.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by county exile Sun May 21, 2017 10:00 am

Darren's capable of chipping in with the odd goal or two - like the second one in this clip.

http://www.okgoals.com/match-highlights-1410693321-20142015--40

Or the 3rd goal in this one:-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S4WEzuo1yFs

And his most recent goal was the first one in this match (the commentator said Rodman but definitely Darren Jones):-

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AKJTAtMH850

Last edited by county exile on Sun May 21, 2017 12:03 pm; edited 2 times in total
county exile
county exile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun May 21, 2017 10:11 am

Question for Junior....

I see Straker played for York around the time we were in Conference Premier and represented Grenada. Was he one of the players called up for international duty which led to our fixture up there being postponed?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sun May 21, 2017 2:54 pm

comrade powell wrote:Question for Junior....

I see Straker played for York around the time we were in Conference Premier and represented Grenada. Was he one of the players called up for international duty which led to our fixture up there being postponed?

It appears not:

International call-ups leaves City facing midweek trip to York (22/8/11)
City's match against York City scheduled for Saturday 3 September has been postponed due to three of the Minstermen - Andrew Boucard (Trinidad & Tobago), Lanre Oyebanjo (Republic of Ireland U21) and Paddy McLaughlin (Northern Ireland U21) - being called up for international duty. No doubt the irony of this happening on Non-League Day, when fans are encouraged to support their local club with no top-flight games due to the international weekend, will not be lost on City as they are now facing another long midweek trek. A new date for the game will be announced shortly.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun May 21, 2017 9:53 pm

Thanks - Straker now gets my support! Very Happy
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Mon May 22, 2017 8:38 pm

We've not had the suggested Monday announcement yet. I've been on tenterhooks all day! Let's hope we're still negotiating something good!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Dusty Lynfield Mon May 22, 2017 9:06 pm

Twitter feed says player announcement will be made at 9am tomorrow. Did I mention that I saw Ibrahimovic in Twerton Co-op this lunchtime....?
Dusty Lynfield
Dusty Lynfield

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Mon May 22, 2017 11:54 pm

Dusty Lynfield wrote:Twitter feed says player announcement will be made at 9am tomorrow.  Did I mention that I saw Ibrahimovic in Twerton Co-op this lunchtime....?

I knew it!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Tue May 23, 2017 8:51 am

Jamie Lucas. He has been scoring regularly at decent levels.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Tue May 23, 2017 9:37 am

Luton Roman wrote:Jamie Lucas. He has been scoring regularly at decent levels.

Jamie's recent games to goals ratio - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Lucas - needs to improve, hopefully being a regular selection City and GO can achieve that. At 6ft 2ins I can envisage Jamie and Nick being the targets with Andy feeding off them.

2016–2017 → Boreham Wood (loan) 10 appearances 1 goal
2017 → Woking (loan) 9 appearances 2 goals
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Manchester Romans Tue May 23, 2017 10:16 am

He scored against us for WSM in the 4-2 defeat in 2015.

Manchester Romans

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Tue May 23, 2017 2:48 pm

Beau Nash wrote:
Luton Roman wrote:Jamie Lucas. He has been scoring regularly at decent levels.

Jamie's recent games to goals ratio - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jamie_Lucas - needs to improve, hopefully being a regular selection City and GO can achieve that. At 6ft 2ins I can envisage Jamie and Nick being the targets with Andy feeding off them.

2016–2017 → Boreham Wood (loan) 10 appearances 1 goal
2017 → Woking (loan) 9 appearances 2 goals

9 or 10 appearances as a striker on loan is not really enough to bed in properly especially if they are not up to fitness. So many times we have seen loan strikers looking the part but not starting scoring until they are about to leave. Hopefully Jamie will get up to fitness pre-season and hit the ground running.

It is a shame that clubs seem to offer so few playing opportunities to those who are not in the first team.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Tue May 23, 2017 10:31 pm

I was having a chat with my neighbour, the Rovers kitman tonight. He reckons that Jamie is a decent prospect who's never quite had the breaks, and has been busting for a long run in a side.

Apparently he's whole-hearted and powerful, but can look a little ungainly and clumsy at times - but really wants to give it a go with us. By the sounds of it we might have a lot to offer each other. Let's hope it works out!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed May 24, 2017 10:32 am

Roy D Hacksaw wrote:I was having a chat with my neighbour, the Rovers kitman tonight.

He must have a very long washing line.... can I bring my son along to practise his counting

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Thu May 25, 2017 9:43 am

Wow Miles returns. This is looking really good!

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Fri May 26, 2017 11:56 am

Whats it look like now?

Defenders - Straker, Jones, Batten, Ball, Welch Hayes, Rigg

Midfield - Murphy, Artus

Up front - Lucas, Watkins and McCootie

11 signed?

I may have missed someone?

Of course some of those defenders are also midfielders.

Still need a few more then...........

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Fri May 26, 2017 1:24 pm

pete mac wrote:Of course some of those defenders are also midfielders.

And will take it in turns as rush goalie
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Thu Jun 08, 2017 10:04 am

Naby signs which is good and Nat Jarvis returns.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 3 1, 2, 3  Next