St.Albans v. City

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

St.Albans v. City

Post by Luton Roman on Fri Feb 17, 2017 9:17 am

Luton based fans heading for the Mermaid tomorrow. Under 16s get in for a £1 at the game, whereas the full rate is still the eye watering £15. We've played them at the right time over the last 18 months, lets hope that continues.

Luton Roman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: St.Albans v. City

Post by comrade powell on Fri Feb 17, 2017 10:18 am

Second best pub in the league!
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 on Fri Feb 17, 2017 12:54 pm

Are they still serving Pieminster pies at the Mermaid?

A36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:05 pm

A36 wrote:Are they still serving Pieminster pies at the Mermaid?
No, the Oxford City keeper ate them all! Fair play, he made some good saves, but he reminded me of Tommy "the flying pig" Lawrence. For those youngsters on here.... http://www.liverpoolfc.com/history/past-players/tommy-lawrence
kermit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit on Fri Feb 17, 2017 4:10 pm

Anyway, all being well with the M4 and M25, see you all in the Mermaid.
kermit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by A36 on Sat Feb 18, 2017 12:28 pm

To answer my own question, yes, they still serve Pieminster pies, I've just ordered a Matador pie. Sadly they don't have any mushy peas today.

A36

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sat Feb 18, 2017 3:07 pm

The way Morgan has started he must have had a pie as well
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:10 pm

Oleary saves another pen, all four strikers get on the score sheet, great stuff.
BenE

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman on Sat Feb 18, 2017 5:38 pm

Good confident performance. Built on great start from earlier Morgan goal and a sublime angled chip finish by Nick from Watkins slide rule pass. MvCoulsky capitalised on a defensive cock up for a much needed goal. Their goal was a good finish from a flick on pepped up their performance but our defensive display was strong and repelled regular long throws and corners. Oleary pen save again crucial and Watkins late finish of McClouskey shot v post perhaps put a gloss on it. But no doubting that City deserved to win with an all round display of energy, constant closing down of the opposition and taking of chances. Well deserved ovation from a terrific travelling support appreciated by players and management.

Luton Roman

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by sned on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:38 pm

Where was Axel? pale

sned

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac on Sat Feb 18, 2017 6:47 pm

Back to Reading for an under 23 game tomorrow

pete mac

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:02 pm

He'll be disappointed to have missed this thriller. We were put under a lot of pressure, but held up well. Captain Marvel rediscovered the art of heading the ball, even winning decisive battles in our own box, which is probably why he was kept on so long. Despite them hitting the bar we restricted Stale Buns to very few clear chances. We actually had several good chances to score more, but I'm not complaining after seeing 4 in one match and ALL 4 STRIKERS SCORING!!!! I still can't see us reaching the playoffs, but next week's game will show us how far we have really progressed. A win then and who knows.

the demon headmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suffolkexile on Sat Feb 18, 2017 7:42 pm

1st game of the season for me. Picked a good one, despite being accused of being the club jinx in the pub beforehand. Just looked at the form table over the last 8 games. We are only 7th, however, we are the only team in the league not to lose during this period.

suffolkexile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by coltrane on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:06 pm

Well done to Max O'leary, good work! I becoming quite a fan of that keeper.

coltrane

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit on Sat Feb 18, 2017 9:19 pm

Never in doubt!! Great day out. Great win. Great support. Great to get 3 points.
kermit

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley on Sat Feb 18, 2017 10:49 pm

suffolkexile wrote:despite being accused of being the club jinx in the pub beforehand.

Who would accuse you of such a thing.... Rolling Eyes

Ashley

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by suffolkexile on Sun Feb 19, 2017 5:50 am

Well I Wonder........

suffolkexile

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:06 am

I thought it was probably our best performance of the season (so far).

Against one of the better teams in the league we defended very well, especially in the spell between our first and second goals, with Chas and Jack superb. The latter is back to (and, perhaps, above) his form from last season after the dip earlier on. We are doing what Owers saw other teams doing against us - getting bodies in the way of shots and crosses time and again. And I think we are defending much better all the way through the team - Watkins and McCootie continually closed down their full-backs and blocked balls forward.

And up front it is nice to finally use the word 'clinical' without 'why can't we be' before it. Morgan's and McCootie's finishes were top class and it was great to see McClousky get a goal. The fact that we had three or four other good chances is also encouraging, although I seem to be in a minority in thinking that McCootie's 2nd 'goal' was rightly ruled out given his foot was almost above the keepers head when he touched the ball.

Of course, had they scored the penalty it would have been an 'interesting' last ten minutes but thankfully O'Leary's continued rise to cult status avoided that problem.

The next two league games will show us where we really are in terms of a late play-off run but after yesterday we'll approach them both full of confidence.

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:27 am

I like GO's words on the subject of next week. "We can now have a real go at them. We have nothing to lose." This could make for a really interesting game and one that encourages me to travel to see it. Yesterday's performance was excellent, as Yuffie says, but despite scoring 4 goals I thought the best part was our defending. Stale Buns are having a difficult period at the moment, but they showed no lack of quality going forward and controlled the match for long periods. The two early goals we scored were superb finishes from pinpoint passes and the last two came as a result of their reorganisation to get back into the match (which nearly paid off). They had pushed so many players forward McClousky's pace caught them on the break. Apart from the third goal their defence didn't have such a bad day either. Such are the margins that for the second week running we end up looking like world beaters, but for a penalty save we could have been looking at two draws, or even defeats. If this kind of drama doesn't get the punters back to TP then nothing will!

the demon headmaster

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Palms on Sun Feb 19, 2017 9:38 am

I'm in the same camp re the disallowed goal, Nick's foot was pretty much higher than his own head let alone the keepers (mind they hammies!).
His goal though, wow. That's a goal of the season contender for me, he dropped all the way in to right back to cover Rigg, scooped up the second ball, released Watkins with a perfectly precise 50 yard ball from right back and then got himself in at the back post, all before that sumptuous dink finish. Weddun
Palms

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS on Sun Feb 19, 2017 10:29 am

Agree with the points about the defending, Chas and Batten were great and especially in the first half Watkins continually blocked the full back to stop him making any progress down the right.
It was a lovely cross field pass from McCootie which started the move for the second goal and then he finished it with a great goal.
So many chances and goal mouth action during the game it could have ended up something like 8 -4 to us.
Good to see Morgan responding with a better all round performance.

SteveS

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sun Feb 19, 2017 11:59 am

For me that was probably the most enjoyable and entertaining away performance since the win at Cambridge United several years ago. Some excellent goals (I'm sure Morgan was at least 30 yards out!), always dangerous on the break and a well drilled defence.

I've just checked and I believe that's the first time in 9 seasons we have scored 4 or more goals in the league on consecutive Saturdays (Eastleigh 4-4, Sutton 4-0)! Be afraid, Ebbsfleet...
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:43 pm

Just watched the (main moments) on the video and think the referee got the penalty call right. Chas (rather than Batten) did appear to obstruct the St Albans player.

yuffie

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt on Sun Feb 19, 2017 1:59 pm

comrade powell wrote:For me that was probably the most enjoyable and entertaining away performance since the win at Cambridge United several years ago. Some excellent goals (I'm sure Morgan was at least 30 yards out!), always dangerous on the break and a well drilled defence.

I've just checked and I believe that's the first time in 9 seasons we have scored  4 or more goals in the league on consecutive Saturdays (Eastleigh 4-4, Sutton 4-0)! Be afraid, Ebbsfleet...

Inside the box?????!!!!!!

Colin Voutt

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell on Sun Feb 19, 2017 2:29 pm

Good spot
comrade powell

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content