Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

How I spent my day off

+3
Roy D Hacksaw
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
7 posters

Go down

How I spent my day off Empty How I spent my day off

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:28 pm

I went along to watch Melksham Town v Cadbury Heath - the first ever league game at their new Oakfield Stadium. Weirdly I saw the corresponding game last season at the Conigre, a 3-3 draw just over a year ago.

Added bonus today that on the pitch next door, Melksham Reserves were playing Trowbridge in the Wiltshire League. That kicked off at 2.15 so I managed to watch most of the first half. It was 1-1 at half-time, Trowbridge ended up winning 2-1. Going by the noise, I think their second goal was near the end.

As for the first team, Melksham were under the cosh early on, conceding a penalty which was saved (don't see many of those...) they then went 1-0 up with a lovely header from Sam Jordan. Cadbury Heath were reduced to 10 men with a forward rightly sent off for a reckless challenge in the first half, probably the only poor tackle of the game, as well as the only card.

The hosts dominated after this with Heath's keeper on fine form. Melksham wrapped it up near the end through Sam Ballinger's header from close range.

Over 500 in attendance in freezing conditions. The ground itself is excellent, situated just off a housing estate and surrounded by loads of other pitches.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

How I spent my day off Empty Re: How I spent my day off

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Jan 21, 2017 8:55 pm

Forgot to say - Saikou Jennah came on for Heath in the closing stages. Mike Perrott played 90 minutes for Melksham. He's a lot bulkier than when I last saw him play. Not overweight but certainly bigger.

Both keepers were impressive. Melksham's Rob Brown was superb with crosses.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 22, 2017 9:45 pm

I watched a couple of minutes of a university match in Oxford, but it was too cold so moved on!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Sun Jan 22, 2017 10:02 pm

I went down The Creek to see runaway Western League leaders Bristol Manor Farm take on Chipping Sodbury Town. Despite the Farm's clear superiority, Sodbury clearly had a plan and went at them from the kick off, the 3-1 scoreline to the home side flattering the champs in waiting. It's the third time I've seen the Farmy Army this season, and this was definitely their most shaky performance of the lot.

As far as Bath City connections went, Alex Russell came on for a cameo in the last ten minutes, and I'm sure there a couple of other familiar faces looking older and beardier, but I got there too late to pick up a team sheet. Manor Farm do have one player who coild play at a higher level, but I can never catch his name. He's a spindly, balding beanpole with an explorer's beard who doesn't look much like a player, but who's got a calm grace on the ball, and a smart brain for a pass. I know they're three leagues below us, but he's the kind of positive midfield presence we could do with.

It's always worth a trip down The Creek. Give it a look when our game at Weston is inevitably cancelled in a couple of weeks.

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Timbo_b-o-a Tue Jan 24, 2017 2:43 pm

About 10 of us marooned in Oxford after a couple of pubs decided to get back up the line to Banbury v St Neots (2-1). We were well oiled by the 2nd half and gave the Puritan singers some back up - all very good fun and well received. The refrain of "Bath brought more fans that you" from the Banbury loyal was very good. Otherwise I probably would've gone to the Creek!

Would have to take exception to Stillmanjunior's take on Melksham's new windswept field though!: Miles out of town, one meagre seated stand and a flat post & rail affair forming the other 90%. All a far cry from the charming jumble of three sided covering at The Conigre bang in the heart of town:(. One redeeming feature though for a new ground - a grass pitch! Hopefully the tide is turning....
Timbo_b-o-a
Timbo_b-o-a

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Fri Jan 27, 2017 5:22 pm

I think the player Hacksaw is referring to is Jake Cox who has impressed me as well. No youngster and seems to have done the rounds a bit - Mangotsfield and a couple of spells at Yate. Jordan Metters also looks useful.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Feb 04, 2017 11:31 pm

My Melksham whereabouts is dreadful so I had no idea how close it was to the centre. Simply followed maps. The problem with the Conigre was it was so hidden away. Quaint little place and quite charming, but I can see them attracting better crowds where they are now. There's enough room to develop it as well.

Didn't go to a game today.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by RUDI GULITS Sun Feb 05, 2017 4:01 pm

not been to the new ground yet
as for the Conigre it was just right for me as it was only about a 3 minutes walk from my house
spent yesterday afternoon watching soccer saturday
RUDI GULITS
RUDI GULITS

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:22 am

Ditto. I almost always go to a game on but need to save the pennies, bought a car on Saturday.

Would have gone to Radstock but feared my windscreen would be immediately smashed by a wayward shot. Typically it ended 6-2...
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Mon Feb 06, 2017 4:38 pm

We took the last minute train to Sea Mills to watch Manor Farm demolish Shepton Mallet in an effortless 6-1 win. They're playing some proper nice passing football down The Creek - I hope they're allowed to step up to the Southern Southern next term, because on this evidence they could more than hold their own!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Tue Feb 07, 2017 8:46 pm

Roy D Hacksaw wrote:We took the last minute train to Sea Mills to watch Manor Farm demolish Shepton Mallet in an effortless 6-1 win. They're playing some proper nice passing football down The Creek - I hope they're allowed to step up to the Southern Southern next term, because on this evidence they could more than hold their own!

I run past their ground most lunchtimes. From the pavement it appears they have hell of a slope on the pitch toward the river.... is this the case?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Roy D Hacksaw Wed Feb 08, 2017 12:10 pm

Oh yes. And that's just one of the slopes. It's got humps and bumps all over - you want to see it from Sea Mills station to get the full effect!

Roy D Hacksaw

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum