Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Happy New Year!

+3
2weirdtown
BenE
Marc Monitor
7 posters

Go down

Happy New Year! Empty Happy New Year!

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Dec 31, 2016 6:20 pm

Happy new year to everyone as I doubt I will get to Hungerford tomorrow. I was quite surprised to see that, in the round-up that was sent out, it was described as a year with highs and lows. I had to admit that I couldn't think of the lows outside of the usual disappointing defeats. Then, upon reading, I realised that, at the start of the year, Adie and Lee were still in charge, we were at the start of a 5 match near-two-month losing run that saw us plummet down the league. Not only that but the Bid was in limbo, to an extent, although not dead.

Halfway through the season, I have to say that, in reality, I wouldn't be surprised if we end up around 14th again this season. However, as our long-term future has taken on a much more positive direction in the form of the community ownership, I will be quite happy with that. Even before September's incredible fundraising, indeed before the previous year's fundraising, I could already see the energy, enthusiasm, expertise and experience coming into the club from all over the community which was arguably as important as the funds raised. Since September, this has increased and I can only feel very positive about the effect that this will have on the club. If people within the club are positive about it then it is easier to spread with positivity to those outside the club.

On the field, I have been broadly happy since February. While, perhaps, Gary hasn't been able to improve as much as he intended - for example, the improvement in training facilities and a subsequent improvement in fitness - he has done well with what he has. Losing Pratt was a real blow, I feel, and possibly was the reason McCootie was kept on. To be fair, Pratt hadn't had the best season last year but, to be equally fair, he was still the top scorer and no-one impressed in that department. It is still early and Watkins seems to heading for a greater tally this year but I am concerned that we still aren't scoring. Also, to be fair, McCootie has obviously done a great deal of work to get fitter during the summer and this has shown great rewards in terms of how much longer he can play in matches. However, he still isn't really a Conference South player in my opinion. Personally, I was disappointed at the loss of Dan Bowman. Aside from the fact that he is a somewhat home-grown player, he was a genuinely exciting young player who could bring the ball to the opposition at a rate that could scare them. Monthe going was also a disappointment but I suppose we were punished for his success really.

Last season, someone asked me what I wanted for the 2015-2016 season and I said that, as long as we were community-owned, mid-table obscurity would suit me. Now that we have that status, I suppose that mid-table would still be fine for me and it is probable that that is where we are going to end up. Community ownership was always something that is a long-term project and we aren't going to see all the benefits straight away. First - and already underway - is progression in marketing and publicity to improve attendances and the profile of the club. More people coming to Twerton Park can't help but improve the situation and that certainly has to be a priority for the short-term. Long-term, it is much more up in the air and it will be absolutely fascinating to see what happens.

Of course, 3 points tomorrow will be great way to start 2017 so let's start with that.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Happy New Year! Empty Re: Happy New Year!

Post by BenE Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:22 pm

The important thing is to have a smooth transition to community ownership. If GO can keep the ship steady while all the new structures are put in place then even if we did finish 14th we would actually be in a stronger position overall.

But if we could score more regularly then we will finish higher. In that regard if McCootie had a shot now and again we, and he, might reap rewards. He is perfectly capable of smashing one in from anywhere. Let rip Nick let rip.

I'd also like to see Hunter start on the right. I feel he is capable of far more from there.

And finally we must try and keep Axel for the rest of the season.

Happy New Year.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Dec 31, 2016 7:28 pm

Happy new year to all. In lieu of 3 points I'm off now for 3 pints - or so.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-steve Sat Dec 31, 2016 11:54 pm

Agree with everything posted on this thread, but, to endorse the spirit of its title - Happy New Year to all fellow City supporters.
Midsomer-steve
Midsomer-steve

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sun Jan 01, 2017 9:28 am

Happy New Year to all the forum contributors and readers

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Jan 01, 2017 10:57 am

Thanks Marc, a very positive summary. For me the ability to regenerate parts of the Twerton Park site to increase use and income is the most important milestone for long term sustainability. Until that point I can't see anything more than mid-table obscurity and that is something the fans are really going to have to embrace. A clear route map and regular
communication on progress will help... Oh and Happy New Year!

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Jan 01, 2017 11:50 am

Happy New Year everyone - let's make it a strong City presence at Hungerford today and get 2017 off to a great start. As with life in general, I don't think last year was a good one on the pitch and I share Benny's view about our shyness in front of goal. If only others actually showed the same hunger as Watkins...

Good positive stuff, Marc, but community ownership hasn't quite been achieved yet. The delay in holding the club EGM is frustrating but for the right reasons.

Demon, I fully agree about regular communication and I hope you agree that the club newsletter has greatly improved things. However, as I explained in the link below, ideally one would have gone out last week to coincide with the update received by Society members, so I've copied it for forum members to read.

https://bathcityfc.forumotion.co.uk/t1526-new-year-s-message-from-the-club-and-society
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by the demon headmaster Sun Jan 01, 2017 5:07 pm

Great stuff.

the demon headmaster

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down