Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Concord

+11
comrade powell
Colin Voutt
SteveS
kermit
pete mac
Elmore James
stillmanjunior
Beau Nash
Jon_BOA
2weirdtown
Luton Roman
15 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

City v Concord  Empty City v Concord

Post by Luton Roman Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:11 pm

D 2-2 with a Manny 93rd min equaliser. Will feel like a win but is it just covering the cracks?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

City v Concord  Empty Re: City v Concord

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:16 pm

Listening to BCIR it sounded like an even game but sloppy City defending led to their goals. Also no real cutting edge up front still.
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by Jon_BOA Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:16 pm

It doesn't feel like a win, it feels like two points dropped against an awful side.

Think O'Leary was the only one to come out of that game with credit. Marvin Morgan, Ball and Artus were appalling. Artus has been crap since he came back from his injury, and for me needs a few weeks on the bench.

Jon_BOA

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:40 pm

Attendance 479 reflects the increased costs, people are voting with their feet on the poor performances / results. Need a big discount all round or a few consecutive wins to get them back. Sad
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Nov 05, 2016 5:58 pm

We put the prices up for today?
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:28 pm

Wins bring the crowds in. Price has nothing (ok not much) to do with it

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:31 pm

Jon_BOA wrote:It doesn't feel like a win, it feels like two points dropped against an awful side.

Think O'Leary was the only one to come out of that game with credit. Marvin Morgan, Ball and Artus were appalling. Artus has been crap since he came back from his injury, and for me needs a few weeks on the bench.

agree there we could have lost that game 4 or 5-2 had it not been for Max.

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:32 pm

7 games without a win.

A good squad and manager but we are failing.

Changes needed. A couple of new faces would lift it.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:38 pm

pete mac wrote:7 games without a win.

A good squad and manager but we are failing.

Changes needed. A couple of new faces would lift it.
I'm back next week Pete bounce that's one!
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:46 pm

Your straight in Rob

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sat Nov 05, 2016 6:52 pm

Cost is an issue for some. My son tells me that some who he stands with have to miss games at times as they don't have the money.
Overall Concord were poor but they had the best player on the pitch in their no 9. I would willingly swap him for all of our strikers today.
We lack a leader and I get fed up with saying this. Ball is not the player he was last season and for a big guy Morgan is powder puff, does not hold the ball up and is easily knocked off. I thought McCootie had improved but since his one game suspension he has gone backwards.
Gary Owers still has a lot to do to convince me he is the man for the job in the long term.
There was no real ale in the bar, and very few people, and I think this was the second game running no real ale. All in all not a good day but it could have been worse if we had not managed to scramble in that last minute equaliser.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Elmore James Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:00 pm

no realale? when did he sign?

Elmore James

Back to top Go down

Post by Colin Voutt Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:05 pm

SteveS wrote:Cost is an issue for some. My son tells me that some who he stands with have to miss games at times as they don't have the money.
Overall Concord were poor but they had the best player on the pitch in their no 9. I would willingly swap him for all of our strikers today.
We lack a leader and I get fed up with saying this. Ball is not the player he was last season and for a big guy Morgan is powder puff, does not hold the ball up and is easily knocked off. I thought McCootie had improved but since his one game suspension he has gone backwards.
Gary Owers still has a lot to do to convince me he is the man for the job in the long term.
There was no real ale in the bar, and very few people, and I think this was the second game running no real ale. All in all not a good day but it could have been worse if we had not managed to scramble in that last minute equaliser.

The barrel delivered was apparently undrinkable. The club is being credited, but that did not help us drinkers.

Colin Voutt

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:06 pm

As a Club we have always offered a good real ale option. Hope it gets sorted or I would join those going to local pubs.

I think GO is the man but he needs to sort this. Let's back him.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:11 pm

I agree about their number 9. Our defence went into panic mode whenever he got the ball. Yes, we need someone to come in and really lift this team and the fans, like when Deion made his incredible start. The loyal Twerton fans certainly deserve better than what is being served up at present.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:12 pm

pete mac wrote:As a Club we have always offered a good real ale option. Hope it gets sorted or I would join those going to local pubs.

GO to sort the real ale?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:25 pm

As a Club we have always offered a good real ale option. Hope it gets sorted or I would join those going to local pubs.

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by pete mac Sat Nov 05, 2016 7:26 pm

Someone needs to. A bit easier maybe than sorting a win

pete mac

Back to top Go down

Post by Marc Monitor Sat Nov 05, 2016 9:21 pm

That was rubbish. I try to be positive about games especially with GO but today was terrible. Don't get me wrong, I celebrated our goal enthusiastically and was entertained today. However, in the context of our season, a terrible terrible result.

Concord Rangers looked really up for it and there was no reason why not considering our recent form. They probably saw this as a possible cheeky 1 if not 3 points and, in some ways, will be disappointed to not come away with the win. While we scored two very scrappy goals, their first goal was great and their second goal wasn't pretty good considering that it was pretty much the smallest player on the pitch that scored a header. Of course, the reason ours were scrappy and there's weren't is because they were throwing everything in front of our shots while we gave them a lot of space for theirs. You could say that it doesn't matter when we got the same amount of goals but, firstly, we shouldn't be pleased with a draw, secondly, they probably had more chances to score goals than us.

The thing is that, when Bowman left, I thought that there was a plan and then Batten turned up as right back today. If that was the plan, it didn't bloody work. Also, we have a whole load of good players but they don't seem to be able to play well together as a team. To me, it is a conundrum - apart from , possibly, the sidelining of Bowman, GO is a very competent manager and we have a great load of players that can play good football but we appear to be less than the sum of our parts presently whereas today Concord Rangers were better than the sum of theirs.
Marc Monitor
Marc Monitor

Location : Within the sight of Twerton Park floodlights (Well, at the end of my street)

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Nov 05, 2016 10:19 pm

I must admit I smiled a bit that Concord's second goal arrived whilst our mate in the stand was in the middle of one of several CLEAR IT pleas.

Not at the time. At the time I found it really annoying. But about 10 minutes later I suddenly found it quite funny. Perhaps with more "GET THE ATTACK GOING" shouts we might have bundled in another one or two goals at the right end.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:16 pm

It is quite simple the defence doesn't defend and the attack doesn't attack. We part like the red sea under pressure from any attack not closing down crosses and never getting in the way of shots the way the Concord players did. Meanwhile our so called strikers appear to be ridiculously shot shy. Their goalie had hardly a shot to save while Oleary saved us from embarrassment. 

Fans frequently criticise managers for playing players out of position and GO appears to have caught this 'coaching' bug. Batten at rb? Chas at ch? Remember this squad is entirely his. 

He started last season with the attitude of getting the simple things right. He appears to have abandoned that and it isn't working.

If I could have one change to improve my enjoyment of what's on offer it would be a lift in the intensity of the match. The players have started every game since Sept as if the real game starts later. They are just going through the motions until something important turns up. Consequently the opposition get an instant grip on the game just like today.

I am loath to criticise Morgan until he gets some decent crosses to get on the end of. Broom huffed and puffed today without delivering anything worthwhile into the box. But without that Morgan offers nothing. 

As has been said elsewhere where is the Frankie of old? We really really need him as the others need a leader.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:20 pm

stillmanjunior wrote:I must admit I smiled a bit that Concord's second goal arrived whilst our mate in the stand was in the middle of one of several CLEAR IT pleas.

Not at the time. At the time I found it really annoying. But about 10 minutes later I suddenly found it quite funny. Perhaps with more "GET THE ATTACK GOING" shouts we might have bundled in another one or two goals at the right end.

For the second goal Batten forced their player wide and then appeared to think that was job done. Consequently a lovely cross came in right onto the bonce of a completely unmarked short arse in the middle. I really wish Batten had listened to your mate.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Nov 05, 2016 11:54 pm

If we played with as much panic as him people would be even more furious. There's a near panic attack every time the opposition cross the halfway line.

I thought Batten did well at right back last week so would have made no sense to leave him out/switch him.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Dark Star Sun Nov 06, 2016 12:02 am

It was very disappointing today. To be pleased that we managed a draw at home against a team in the bottom three of the league says it all.

I thought that, overall, Concord were the better team: they tried to play passing football, kept passion better than City; often looked dangerous going forward and seemed to panic our defence when they counter-attacked. Of the four goals scored today, theirs were better worked while ours were scrappy (but no less welcome). Having said that their defence was suspect and they displayed the usual Ryman League habits of diving, time–wasting, gobbyness (yes number six) and general uncouth behaviour. Shame the refs don’t seem to care these days.

As far as City is concerned, we couldn’t keep possession and too many simple passes went astray while we failed, again, to dominate in the air. OK, we had some unlucky breaks when clearances often fell to Concord but too many City players under-achieved as they say in PC world (no, not the shop). The usually reliable Ball was poor; Artus was not the commanding player we have come to expect (but is that because he’s playing so deep these days?), Morgan was ineffectual and should have been withdrawn in favour of, well…anybody, Diallo is skilful but seemed reluctant to get stuck in and Broom failed to live up to his recent promise.  Hemmings should not be in the back four; he hasn’t got the pace and is better off in front of the defence breaking up attacks and distributing the ball.

On a more positive note, I’m not a big fan of Batten but he really worked hard today despite one or two errors and earned his crust. O’Leary pulled off some telling saves but my MotM was Watto. Always giving of his best, he was one of the few willing to have a shot on goal (a major failing with City) and had enough skill and confidence to run at the defence rather than just laying the ball off. He also did his stuff back in defence.

In summary, a poor return from the talent we have. Too many errors in passing the ball leading to lost possession; not enough shots on target; some poor defending and a sporadic attack coupled with a failure of management to make changes early on when our attack was clearly not succeeding.

Dark Star

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sun Nov 06, 2016 10:18 am

I'm not quite sure how constant mis-placed passes tallies with the assertion that we have talented players.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next