Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Dartford Game

+9
danver
Ashley
comrade powell
stillmanjunior
2weirdtown
SteveS
Steve Whites Missus
kermit
BenE
13 posters

Go down

Dartford Game Empty Dartford Game

Post by BenE Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:21 pm

I am getting just a bit fed up with the lack of any end product. First half was much better but with no evidence of anyone really meaning a shot on goal but second half reverted to the bleughness of our previous performances. What on earth GO was thinking in taking off both strikers I do not know. I know neither look like having a shot never mind scoring but when they went off the shape disappeared and Dartford just waltzed through our midfield and defence.

Manny had possibly his worst game for us while Chas was always one step away from a rick. 

Naby cannot play on the left. It doesn't matter how often it is tried it isn't going to work. 

Did Hunter have any studs in? I cannot remember seeing a player fall over so often.

Conclusion: absolutely shambolic.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Dartford Game Empty Re: Dartford Game

Post by kermit Sat Oct 22, 2016 5:25 pm

Glad I missed it.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:07 pm

So far this season it all reminds me of boxers sparing.  We seem to go through the motions without any real bite in any position on the pitch, while our opposition always seem to turn up for a fight of some sorts.

Are we over-training then not producing the goods on the day?

I agree Manny had a shocker compared to normal.  Artus as a playmaker lets his boots think before his brain and generally we seem to snatch mediocrity from the ability to play well.

I can't name a single player this season (or last) who when they have the ball I think something special could happen.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sat Oct 22, 2016 6:31 pm

First half not bad but second awful. Just not good enough and in danger of slipping back into the same position we were in last season.
Very bad miss right at the end from Rigg. Have to agree re Hunter, how can he slip over so many times on a dry pitch?
Gary Owers may rant and rave but at the end of the day he has to take responsibility and do something about it.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by 2weirdtown Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:01 pm

No joy for Fleetwood either as Weymouth went down 3-1
2weirdtown
2weirdtown

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:27 pm

Kettering equalised moments after he came on as a substitute.

Was quite surprised Hutchinson wasn't the preferred choice for us near the end.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:41 pm

Dan Bowman should only ever play when he is on the other side of the pitch to the dug out. He seems to be intimidated by the bench.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sat Oct 22, 2016 7:49 pm

2 goals in the last 4 games, 3 of which have been at home and 2 against lower level opponents. If GO is honest with himself, there needs to be a major rethink about next Saturday's starting 11 because today's didn't look like it had a goal in them. He has been pretty ruthless with the non selection of Fleetwood and I suggest McCootie needs replacing. Our best chances continually fall to him and he continually squanders them. Today's miss was perhaps not as bad as in the cup replay but was equally damaging. If not, why not play him wide as his best contributions come from the flank?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Oct 22, 2016 8:12 pm

Maybe it's time to try Hutchinson up front with Morgan. He's looked ok coming off the bench and would be worth a try.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Sat Oct 22, 2016 11:07 pm

It's a tough one with McCootie. He had that little run of goals in September and I really thought he would be a major force for us this season. But picking up a pointless one-match ban (ok, he should have been missing for more after his violent conduct in the Oxford home game) hasn't helped, neither did being forced to play the whole 120 minutes against the same team in the replay. I honestly think his presence gives defenders a really tough test. So many times he rescues the ball from seemingly lost situations. Let's face it, if he scored prolifically he would no longer be with us. Presume cramp finished him off today, fair play to their keeper for his assistance and clearly predicting the substitution(!)

For me, the issue remains in midfield. Henry's excellent article pointed out the other day that George Rigg playing there has resulted in our best run of form. Artus hasn't recaptured his form of the past couple of seasons as yet, didn't help missing the start of this campaign. Broom shows promise but we have very few other players who have that winger's trademark run towards the byline and delivering a telling cross. It is relied on the full-backs too much or one of the forwards running out wide.

Not expecting anything next week, which might work in our favour. Play without fear etc.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 23, 2016 9:08 am

Well said and I agree that a place should be found in midfield for Rigg. However, greater creativity there and the return eventually of Watkins won't hide the fact that we don't have someone reliable in the middle to put the chances away. Morgan's problem is not his fault - his strength in the air is negated by pretty dreadful delivery into the box.

You're right about McCootie's strengths but the battering ram approach isn't working and most of his best play is outside the box.

We need that fox in the box and I'm not sure that Hutchinson will be the answer either? Diallo?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by danver Sun Oct 23, 2016 2:32 pm

Bit worrying being closer to the bottom than the top, close games that just go the wrong way seem to be the current problem, but the fact that most games are close will be no consolation if we get dragged into the new year dogfight. The absence of any goal threat means that clean sheets are essential, and we've stopped looking solid since Dan Ball moved out of the middle. I would have Chas in front of Dan Ball and Manny, that would place all three in their most effective positions, and Jack Batten might make a decent full back, as he doesn't seem to have developed enough authority as a central defender. Up front? No idea, I'll pass on that one.

danver

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:12 pm

danver wrote: I would have Chas in front of Dan Ball and Manny, that would place all three in their most effective positions,

And allow Artus to play further forward.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Dave Sun Oct 23, 2016 6:34 pm

Just watching highlights of Kettering v Weymouth, Fleetwood came on to play on the right wing. Just pointless. I know most people like their hustle and bustle forwards that are all over the park like Pratt, but I really would have liked to have seen him given a proper run in the side in a natural centre forward position. He's never going to get that instinctive goal sniffing form back playing on the wing.

Dave

Back to top Go down

Dartford Game Empty DARTFORD GAME

Post by Bridgeyate Sun Oct 23, 2016 8:42 pm

I totally agree with Palms statement.Fleetwood has not been given a fair run in the team in his natural position.He is a proven skillfull goalscorer in his past so what always goes wrong at Bath City ? Hope he comes back and proves many people wrong .

Bridgeyate

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Oct 24, 2016 1:39 pm

Okay then so suppose we have Oleary in goal then Dan Ball and Manny in front and then Big Chas and Murphy in front of them. That allows Naby and Frankie to play further forward. Let's assume you have Marvin and Broom up top.

That team looks a little narrow so you really want to play with wing backs. I personally prefer Bowman on the right but can see a good case for Rigg. But what do you do about the left? I can't see Batten as a left back never mind a wing back.

Hunter is spectacularly poor defensively. Marshall doesn't have the legs.

Can we get a loanee in? Pity we didn't get Greenslade.
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Oct 24, 2016 4:03 pm

Is that McClouskey still at Weston-super-Mare?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Mon Oct 24, 2016 5:06 pm

Bristol City recalled him but Weston were hoping to get him back, have not seen anything that confirms that has happened though.
I think this happened before Bartlett was appointed manager, he may be more interested in trying to bring in loan players from FGR where he is still involved.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Thu Oct 27, 2016 12:25 pm

For me, the main difference from last season is that we are not getting completely outplayed - e.g. Oxford and Truro at home last season.
However, whilst we are in contention in most games, we have to score goals (call me old fashioned).

Too many people playing out of position - esp. Artus (wasted as DM)
Lacking fullbacks. Would have been good to get Greeenslade - or give that lad from FGR a run (Higgins?)
Agree with some sentiments here re. Fleetwood. Put him in the box for 3/4 games. How could it be worse?

Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Thu Oct 27, 2016 2:48 pm

I hope some of the questions in this thread will be asked next Friday evening!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Thu Oct 27, 2016 3:21 pm

SteveS wrote:Bristol City recalled him but Weston were hoping to get him back, have not seen anything that confirms that has happened though.
I think this happened before Bartlett was appointed manager, he may be more interested in trying to bring in loan players from FGR where he is still involved.

He made his debut for Bristol City on Tuesday against Hull, which was a very good game for £12!

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down