Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Gary Owers apologises to fans after Potters Bar performance

+14
pete mac
Elmore James
SteveS
Major Icewater
Luton Roman
BenE
Beau Nash
yuffie
stillmanjunior
turnstyle13
Midsomer-chris
Steve Whites Missus
comrade powell
London Calling
18 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Gary Owers apologises to fans after Potters Bar performance Empty Gary Owers apologises to fans after Potters Bar performance

Post by London Calling Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:18 pm

London Calling

Back to top Go down

Gary Owers apologises to fans after Potters Bar performance Empty Re: Gary Owers apologises to fans after Potters Bar performance

Post by comrade powell Sun Oct 02, 2016 7:34 pm

Thanks, Gary - very honest views which are so refreshing to hear from managers in this age.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Gary Owers apologises to fans after Potters Bar performance Empty Re: Gary Owers apologises to fans after Potters Bar performance

Post by Steve Whites Missus Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:55 am

You could tell GO wasn't a happy man during the game. The manner in which he strode over to us behind the goal to apologise was certainly a man on a mission.
Cannot fault his passion or commitment.

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-chris Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:36 am

I really admire Gary for coming over to us after the match and apologising. It is brilliant that he has so much respect for the fans and that in turn makes us respect him all the more.  Smile

It is definitely a million percent improvement on the days when Howells would scuttle off down the tunnel as fast as he could.   No

I have every confidence that Gary will encourage the players to think about what went wrong yesterday and that they will put it right for Tuesday.
Midsomer-chris
Midsomer-chris

Back to top Go down

Post by turnstyle13 Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:42 am

I recall Gary did much the same during his earlier spell with us when he was player manager. I can't recall the detail but we were playing down the hill in second half and had had the majority of possession but had failed to get the score we deserved and 'the choir' had registered their displeasure .
Gary came over after the game as the players trooped off and tried to explain the footballing decisions that had been taken .
Some questioned the wisdom. Nobody questioned the honesty.

turnstyle13

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Oct 03, 2016 3:52 am

Midsomer-chris wrote:It is definitely a million percent improvement on the days when Howells would scuttle off down the tunnel as fast as he could.   No

Admittedly he probably did in some cases, but he wasn't accepted from the start by a high percentage of fans, so if he'd come over at the end of the game they would have just had a dig. Gary has been almost universally accepted since he was re-appointed, so him doing this allows supporters to forget the rather lacklustre performance.

I remember soon after Arch's appointment we lost at Chesham in the trophy in a typical non-performance against a lower league game. He made his way over at the end in driving rain, a few fans vented their fury so he, and the players, didn't hang around long.

Gary has done well since he has come in, hopefully the players react positively on Tuesday otherwise we could endure yet another embarrassing cup exit.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Mon Oct 03, 2016 2:59 pm

I can also recall many occasions when Archie was happy to engage with fans after poor performances. Despite our colours, not everything is as black and white as some portray. Let's give him credit for the good times while continuing to get behind the current boss.
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:31 pm

And the difference would have been a performance like Saturday's would have been blamed 100% on Howells by a number of supporters.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:19 pm

One thing from Saturday is that Stuart Fleetwood ought go out on loan, if he can't influence a game against a team two divisions below City, then he has little chance in the league.

Chesham was very disappointing as management played a half fit Nichols and Charlie Griffin didn't know why he had been omitted.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by BenE Mon Oct 03, 2016 7:34 pm

Beau Nash wrote:[color=#000000]One thing from Saturday is that Stuart Fleetwood ought go out on loan, if he can't influence a game against a team two divisions below City, then he has little chance in the league.

On that we can agree
BenE
BenE

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Mon Oct 03, 2016 8:16 pm

http://m.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/37541132
Just for a moment I thought....

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Midsomer-chris Tue Oct 04, 2016 4:58 am

comrade powell wrote:I can also recall many occasions when Archie was happy to engage with fans after poor performances. Despite our colours, not everything is as black and white as some portray. Let's give him credit for the good times while continuing to get behind the current boss.

Sorry Martin, I was put off Archie from the first time I saw him at a "Meet the Manager" night when he slouched back in his chair, looking bored and chewing gum. Then when he was challenged about something awful he had posted on twitter he tried to deny doing it (i.e. lied about it) Evil or Very Mad and then in the end he had to climb down and admit that he had done it. For me he would have had to have done an awful lot to make me respect him after that.
Midsomer-chris
Midsomer-chris

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Tue Oct 04, 2016 6:20 pm

Chris, I have a vague memory of that evening - and you're right that Archie didn't do himself any favours. I'm sure you're aware that he was right out of his comfort zone at those meetings and I don't think any were held for the last couple of years he was at the club.

But I also recall much smaller gatherings where he came over totally different and was happy to talk about many subjects. Members of the Bid team met him on the morning of the Altrincham trophy match when he must have had far more pressing things on his mind, but he gave us an hour of his time and was very helpful. Despite the abuse handed out to the management following the cup exit at Gosport, he was still prepared to attempt to reason with the most agitated.

It seems a shame that some people's opinion of him was formed at a single event and that they never gave him a second chance...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by Major Icewater Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:07 pm

Fair comment Martin. He is often blamed for our failure to get through our FA trophy semi-final but seldom given credit for getting us there in the first place.

Major Icewater

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:07 am

Another one due??

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:12 am

I dashed home as quick as possible after that (typical that for once the car park was busy). Couldn't face interviewing Gary. I'm angry and dejected enough myself, if I was manager last thing I'd want is some weird little bloke asking why we've bottled it in the FA Cup yet again.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:27 am

I thought we did ok for the first half hour and should have been more than one up. As soon as they made it 1 - 1 it all changed. They got more confident, defended well, and we had no real idea how to break them down and just became very predictable.
I left at half time in extra time as you could see what was going to happen. It was going to penalties and the way their keeper had played he was always going to save 2 or 3.
To once again fail in a home replay against a team 2 levels below is just not good enough.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Oct 05, 2016 5:47 am

Apart from a spell before their equaliser this evening, we have completely failed to impose our supposed superiority in two games against Potters Bar. The lacklustre displays and sloppy mistakes have cost the club a potential £20k before reaching the lucrative first round. Just £8k picked up from two seasons of cup matches.

These are not one offs as our cup record at TP over the last 10 seasons is an embarrassment. 16 games played, 3 wins, 5 draws, 8 defeats with just 1 win in the last 10!

I agree Junior that GO would probably not wish to be interviewed afterwards, but there are many questions he needs to be asked about that debacle. Simply unacceptable...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:52 pm

Can't fault the players efforts and it was a massive loss when Watkins went off just before half-time but that doesn't disguise the fact we should be beating a poor side like Potters Bar.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Steve Whites Missus Wed Oct 05, 2016 2:55 pm

comrade powell wrote:The lacklustre displays and sloppy mistakes have cost the club a potential £20k before reaching the lucrative first round.

Ouch, this £20k figure is not really a fact and would only have been available had the club won last night and at Chesham. We lost 7.5k and the potential to get 13.5k.

Based upon your logic we must have also lost a considerable amount from first round proper TV revenue?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:04 pm

You did notice my use of the word 'potential'? Had we been looking at a next round at Dagenham I wouldn't have made my point - I'd suggest that two very winnable games against Potters Bar and Chesham were a passport to £20k. But presumably our players were not motivated by the same possibility and were as complacent as me...
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:13 pm

I don't think you can accuse the players of lacking motivation or call them complacent. The first half as probably as well as we've played this - even allowing for how poor the opposition were - and even in the second half and extra time we had enough chances to win the game comfortably.

As an aside, we now have the same penalty shoot out record as England - won one out of eight.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Wed Oct 05, 2016 3:43 pm

So if we didn't show complacency and showed effort and were motivated and played as well as we've played this (season?), we're going to put our exit down to a supposed foul on Artus before their equaliser and fluffing a few half chances. I hope Gary doesn't agree with that!
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:16 pm

So, what signs were there that the players lacked motivation or were complacent?

I saw a team who ended up in the lottery of penalties because they missed more than a few half-chances - someone said we had 22 efforts on goal - so you can blame it on a lack of quality in that area.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Wed Oct 05, 2016 4:43 pm

Something I failed to mention on the other thread was that I felt Frankie Artus didn't look entirely comfortable in the "Chas Hemmings" role in front of the two centre backs as the holding midfield player, it is a very different role than he is used to when he has a more creative role; it could also be because Chas is a much bigger presence in all senses of the word.

At times City looked short of players in midfield as, especially second half, Potters Bar appeared to find a lot more space, possibly because they were more confident?  Taking Naby off may not have been the correct move BUT, as he had been booked, understandable.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next