Roman Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

City v Oxford

+10
SteveS
Maurice Ashman
London Calling
freeview
LB
Ashley
Beau Nash
yuffie
Steve Whites Missus
Luton Roman
14 posters

Go down

City v Oxford  Empty City v Oxford

Post by Luton Roman Sat Sep 17, 2016 5:47 pm

D 1-1. Out of jail or deserved?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

City v Oxford  Empty Re: City v Oxford

Post by Steve Whites Missus Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:19 pm

Out of jail

Although Oxford really disappointed me. In the game a few days ago they looked a good footballing bunch. Today they came to annoy, whinge and fall over at any point... for that I would like to see them lose.

McCootie should have been sent off so we were lucky there.... and for an ageing punk rocker I thought our substitute linesman looked a little camp at times.... were his shorts too tight?

Steve Whites Missus

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:28 pm

City v Oxford  IMG_5884

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sat Sep 17, 2016 6:34 pm

More than deserved...

If the early claim for a penalty had been given and the Oxford player sent off for the foul on Nick, then Nick wouldn't have been involved in the fight...yes he was VERY lucky to only get a yellow. However, against 10, Bath City probably would have lost.  Rolling Eyes

When is the replay?
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Hemel have a replay as well which is good news given we play them next Saturday. Weston-super-Mare lost at North Leigh. Chip 4 Poole1 is a surprise.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:37 pm

Hemel have a replay as well which is good news given we play them next Saturday. Weston-super-Mare lost at North Leigh.  Chip 4 Poole1 is a surprise.

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sat Sep 17, 2016 7:57 pm

The early foul on Nick looked outside the box, defender was a little fortunate not to be sent off. Nick then appeared very fortunate not to go so maybe they evened out. Great header by Marvin, not the best performance but at least we're in the draw.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:21 pm

I think we did get out of jail - the way we were playing I was settling for a replay once Oxford had scored!

Not a great day for teams in our league - as well as Weston and Poole, Bishop's Stortford, Maidenhead, Truro and Gosport all lost to teams from lower levels.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by freeview Sat Sep 17, 2016 8:24 pm

Absolutely dire match, no if's no but's could not make headway against a oxford scratch side. 2nd game in what 10 days. still can't work them out. Batten thought was a good player maybe being left out has a sent him to sleep
2yds behind the scorer in 1st half despite words from Ball prior to corner to wake up absolutely got left ball watching
midfield has no bite, no penetration wake up
mcootie nice chap but can't finish for toffee,
Morgan ah well might as well be on the catwalk,
ponces up and down but offers what?
Absolute tosh cup match

freeview

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sat Sep 17, 2016 9:01 pm

freeview wrote:
Morgan ah well might as well be on the catwalk,
ponces up and down but offers what?

goals?

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by London Calling Sat Sep 17, 2016 10:18 pm

Gary had a lot to say after the game, as did today's goalscorer and MoM Marvin Morgan. I'll aim to have the two BCIR interviews with them up online by lunchtime tomorrow.

Very lucky to still be in the cup draw in my view, hopefully there won't be any slip ups on Tuesday.

London Calling

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Sep 18, 2016 12:50 am

Think freeview is being a little harsh.

Batten may have been at fault for the goal, but I thought he got in some important blocks in the second half including a clearing header that went out for a throw.

Midfield is a bit of a conundrum. Before the season started Gary said he wanted to build the team around Frankie, but his injury put paid to that. Since he has come back I think he has struggled, and yesterday was one of his poorest games.

What the midfield probably does lack is somebody to hold it together, which is why I think we often look better with Chaz playing in that role just in front of the defence - in some ways I think we have an embarrassment of riches in that part of the team.

As for what freeview says about McCootie and Morgan, Nick had scored in the previous three games and Marvin is top scorer. I think today Nick showed his limitations again, but he is so much fitter than last season and you can't fault his effort. It was amazing that he wasn't sent off, but I have a feeling that the referee was working on the theory that two wrongs make a right after he hadn't sent off the Oxford player.

As for Marvin, he definitely made a difference - it isn't that often a half time substitute gets mom. He took his goal well and his surging run at the end deserved better than Nick putting it over the bar. Can't help thinking that if he had been on from the start there might have been a different outcome.

Although it was a disappointing day, it was heartening again to see Gary making changes at half time rather than waiting until the game was almost over as we have seen in the past.

Hopefully we can make it third time lucky against Oxford on Tuesday.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by Maurice Ashman Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:18 am

I observed that GO did the same as against Gosport. He gave the sub (Bowman v Gosport - Hemmings v Oxford) a very thorough briefing from his notes, presumably including any weaknesses he had seen in the opposition.
I reckon he is an extremely astute coach.
Let's hope he can do the same on Tuesday!

Maurice Ashman

Back to top Go down

Post by Luton Roman Sun Sep 18, 2016 8:36 am

Yes a test for GO now to get the better of a team at the 3rd time of asking within 2 weeks. Morgan and Chas to start?

Luton Roman

Back to top Go down

Post by SteveS Sun Sep 18, 2016 9:08 am

Thought we were very poor and lucky to be still in it. Have to do a lot better on Tuesday. Agree no bite in midfield, I make no excuses for saying I think you always need the Adie Harris or Jono type player in there who never lets the opposing midfield dwell on the ball and is always snapping at the heels.
Gary Owers seems to still have the right back problem, Bowman seems to be out of favour there and he brings in Hickman and now leaves him out. Rigg now back there but I would prefer him in midfield, although it was him who provided about our only good ball in from the right which resulted in the goal.

SteveS

Back to top Go down

Post by comrade powell Sun Sep 18, 2016 3:26 pm

Can't really add anything to the above criticisms of our performance yesterday. One would hope that we can't play as badly against the same club three times within a fortnight, but they have clearly had the measure of us. I hope that one thing in our favour could be complacency by Oxford players and fans, who must be wondering how we have managed to win 6 games in just over a month. I do wonder if the continued rantings against officials by some of our fans and those in the dugout have an effect on our players, some of whom lost their heads yesterday against a very streetwise team. Everyone rightly mentions McCootie's good fortune in not being sent off - was I the only one who saw Rigg lash out with his boot down in the HQ corner near the end?
comrade powell
comrade powell

Back to top Go down

Post by yuffie Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:34 pm

I think it was our poorest 90 minutes of the season but we still had decent chances at the start and finish of the game and were never really under great pressure from Oxford, so I'm still optimistic we can go up there and finish the job.

yuffie

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:27 pm

I am never one to shirk adverse criticism of a player but I thought Frankie had a good game, he was breaking up Oxford's play on many occasions.  Where City collectively failed was too often the final ball forward was not causing Oxford problems.  

GO's substitutions were correctly timed...Shaq had hardly touched the ball and needs to learn to go looking more, Dan had worked hard but was unable to penetrate much. I think that Riggy playing in front of Dan is better than the other way round.

I think our best up front combination is Marvin and Nick with Naby playing in a free role behind.  Yesterday we didn't have that AND I doubt Marvin is up to 90 minutes but he may well start in the replay.  

What has happened with Harry Hickford?  I haven't seen him play yet so can't comment.

Oxford looked a decent side and will surely rise from their current league position.
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by Ashley Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:49 pm

I think yesterday showed how much we miss Watkins. His pace and skill would've caused all sorts of problems.

Ashley

Back to top Go down

Post by LB Sun Sep 18, 2016 5:56 pm

Marvin appeared to be limping at the end, so wonder whether he might start on the bench again with a view to bringing him on depending how the game is going - if he does I might be tempted to start with Hutchinson instead of Shaq.

Agree with what Ashley said about Andy Watkins - would be good if he was available for Tuesday, particularly as he hasn't played in either of the Oxford games.

I didn't see the league game against Oxford, but didn't see anything special about them yesterday to suggest they are anything other than a run of the mill team from this division - it might be easier playing against them away, so still optimistic we can make the next round.

LB

Back to top Go down

Post by kermit Sun Sep 18, 2016 6:26 pm

I spoke to Andy Watkins after the game, and he was sure he wouldn't be fit for Tuesday.
kermit
kermit

Back to top Go down

Post by Roman Mike Mon Sep 19, 2016 3:00 pm

"Dan Bowman miraculously escaped punishment after appearing to strike Grant during a flare-up."
The ever reliable Oxford Mail
Dan and Nick. Separated at birth. Almost impossible to tell them apart.

http://www.oxfordmail.co.uk/sport/14750874.FOOTBALL__Oxford_City_face_FA_Cup_replay_after_Bath__39_s_late_equaliser/
Roman Mike
Roman Mike

Back to top Go down

Post by Beau Nash Mon Sep 19, 2016 4:04 pm

From the same Oxford Mail article: "The home side could even have won it, but Morgan somehow fired over just before the final whistle." This time the misidentification could easily have been rectified had the Mail read this from the Chronicle report "Morgan turned creator in stoppage time, firing a low cross for the onrushing McCootie, but he hammered over the bar when under pressure."  Rolling Eyes
OR this, which agrees with my memory of the event, from Ace Reporter KK  cheers "Morgan made good ground to the by-line and pulled his cross back towards McCootie, but the ball was just behind the frontman and his effort was scooped over the crossbar."
Beau Nash
Beau Nash

Back to top Go down

Post by stillmanjunior Mon Sep 19, 2016 5:01 pm

To be fair Bowman did race in during the flare-up, but in my opinion to act as peacemaker. Obviously a mistake with Morgan.

I'm not sure who wrote the Oxford report. They had a radio reporter in the press box but didn't notice anyone from the paper. I did ours and the NLP whilst on the tannoy, means the notes I make whilst it's going on are quite brief.
stillmanjunior
stillmanjunior

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down